Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread IV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭phog

CONSI wrote: »
    I would hope we have someone lined up to come in outside of our already announced signing..Smith would have been a good signing for another year especially with World Cup commitments for so many

Have we a spare NIQ spot?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

phog wrote: »
    Have we a spare NIQ spot?

We do. For next season we've only got Saili, GVDH and Botha. And Botha is only contracted until Christmas.
    EDIT: Forgot about TB, but still reckon Botha doesn't count any more as it's a short term contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Botha
    Bleyendaal
    Saili
    Van Den Heever

So no?

I'm not sure we need another signing, unless it's at hooker or TH.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭CONSI

Leaves us a bit light in the centre now though I think..Saili, Hurley, Dineen....then we are down the route of Earls but he will be at RWC....or looks like we will be playing Bleyendaal at 12 or Keatley

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Scannell and Bohane also. No problem filling the gap there for a few weeks, I would think and IK or TB will more than likely pop up there at some point, as you say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

Anyone know if the public are able to buy these training tracksuits that the Munster backs seem to wear a bit in training?

They seem to be fairly skinny fitting around the ankles which I like and you can run in them. The two that Lifestyle have on their website aren't it.

It doesn't even have to be the branded gear, I just like the look of them

INPHO_00932822.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Botha
    Bleyendaal
    Saili
    Van Den Heever

So no?

I'm not sure we need another signing, unless it's at hooker or TH.

Well if we have a spare slot (think we do as isn't Bleyendaal a project and iirc its 4+1) we could always help ulster out and take Piutau for the season seeing as he has been told by NZRU he will not play super rugby next year and Ulster don't have any NIQ spots available.

(but in reality we don;t need to strengthen the back-row with the younger talent coming through)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The Times are going with POC signing on for 2 years with Toulon

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I wonder will he retire from international rugby or not. Whatever the case I think POC is probably less keen on a media career than BOD was, it's not his style. So I think he should cash in, he's definitely getting more money than he would, possibly the highest paid in the world. Great man.

I just really hope it doesn't open floodgates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

errlloyd wrote: »
    I wonder will he retire from international rugby or not. Whatever the case I think POC is probably less keen on a media career than BOD was, it's not his style. So I think he should cash in, he's definitely getting more money than he would, possibly the highest paid in the world. Great man.

I just really hope it doesn't open floodgates.

I honestly don't think it will. The numbers of players who are in serious demand from France is very low and most of them will want to stay in Ireland so long as the IRFU can at least give them a competitive offer.

POC is going now because he has nothing more to achieve with Munster and, once the world cup is over, he'll have nothing left to work towards with Ireland.

The contract structure here makes it impossible to retire from internationals and play on for your province, so who knows, maybe that's something to do with it too, maybe he'd play on with Munster if he could give up internationals, but it's probably mostly about the money.

Fair play to him anyway, he's earned the right to do whatever he wants at this point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

CatFromHue wrote: »
    The Times are going with POC signing on for 2 years with Toulon

http://www.balls.ie/rugby/the-end-of-an-era-details-emerge-about-paul-oconnells-departure/294805

Shame he's leaving when he clearly could contribute significantly for another year or two but I don't blame him, I'd do the exact same.

Shocked by this. I really thought he'd be one of those players who would never leave Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Shocked by this. I really thought he'd be one of those players who would never leave Munster.

He owes us nothing and I hope he's successful there. I think he'll be adored by the Toulon supporters and he'll benefit hugely financially too I'm sure, he deserves it. Here's hoping for a f*cking great win tomorrow to give him the send off he deserves from Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

I actually think that POC just wants to experience a new culture with his family. He is looking after his finances for sure and their security, but he likes France and the chance to give the family a second language and new opportunities would be his biggest thing. He will have talked to ROG and the guys at Pau to see how they have gone. He does not owe anybody anything.

Enjoy the weather and the retirement fund Paulie. You've earned both.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Fair play to him not many 36 year olds can "retire" to a club like Toulon. :p

ROG must be delighted having a mate down the road.

Before you go Paulie, any chance of a Pro 12 and an ould world cup trophy please?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Fair play to him not many 36 year olds can "retire" to a club like Toulon. :p

ROG must be delighted having a mate down the road.

Before you go Paulie, any chance of a Pro 12 and an ould world cup trophy please?

It's a fair bit down the road, he's nearly as close to Limerick as he is to Toulon :P

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭phog

Great to see some tweets wishing Munster luck in the final from the likes of Paul Warwick, Rob Penney and the incoming Francis Saili.

Nice touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭budhabob

Lads, what time is kick off? Munster web site says 18.30, but looking at sky coverage doesn't start til 7? Out foreign so dunno if the that's having an effect.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

budhabob wrote: »
    Lads, what time is kick off? Munster web site says 18.30, but looking at sky coverage doesn't start til 7? Out foreign so dunno if the that's having an effect.

Sky coverage starts at 6 and KO is half 6 Irish time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭budhabob

Sky coverage starts at 6 and KO is half 6 Irish time.

Ah right, cheers, sky app has taken into account time difference. Sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,686 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Is the game on any of the Irish channels?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

tg4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ouncer

Now folks I know if you were stats followers you would see that Glasgow beat Connacht both times this year while Connacht beat Munster for the first time in ages in the pro12 this year. This must be a huge worry to Munster fans leading up to the game later :-). Best of luck. Looking forward to a poc masterclass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

There's a great write-up about Stander in The IrishTimes here. He really appears to think the world of Paulie.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Were Munster ever really close to signing Augustin Creevy? He'd have made a big difference.

razorblunt wrote: »
    Were Munster ever really close to signing Augustin Creevy? He'd have made a big difference.

He's a quality player but it would have been very odd given that Munster have Sherry and Casey. Would be much better off signing a top class tighthead or a third high quality lock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Buer wrote: »
    He's a quality player but it would have been very odd given that Munster have Sherry and Casey. Would be much better off signing a top class tighthead or a third high quality lock.

I think the speculation was surfacing when it was unsure if Sherry would recover from injury. Munster's scrum has been a strength this season, but a TH to compete with Archer should be the priority.

• Advertisement

I think the speculation was surfacing when it was unsure if Sherry would recover from injury. Munster's scrum has been a strength this season, but a TH to compete with Archer should be the priority.

I've a feeling that's exactly what will be signed following the RWC to replace Botha who leaves in December.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement