Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread IV

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Buer wrote: »
    I've a feeling that's exactly what will be signed following the RWC to replace Botha who leaves in December.

I'm starting to feel optimistic about Archer as a TH. He has come on leaps and bounds this season. I wouldn't be absolutely terrified ff Munster are unable to sign a quality first-choice TH. Munster's scrum has been a strength when Archer has Guinazu beside him in the front row.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I'm starting to feel optimistic about Archer as a TH. He has come on leaps and bounds this season. I wouldn't be absolutely terrified ff Munster are unable to sign a quality first-choice TH. Munster's scrum has been a strength when Archer has Guinazu beside him in the front row.

You do need a new TH though, if not to beat Archer then to provide decent backup, Botha is probably not the answer for next season. If you can get a 24 year old with 50 currie cup premiership caps he would be decent backup to Archer and a potential project. After Archer and Botha who do you have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

I'd be very worried about Munster's front row next season. Who knows what shape Sherry will be in, Casey hasn't lived up to the initial hype, Guinazu is gone. Once Botha goes, TH is a ticking timebomb. LH side is grand so that's something I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

I'd be very worried about Munster's front row next season. Who knows what shape Sherry will be in, Casey hasn't lived up to the initial hype, Guinazu is gone. Once Botha goes, TH is a ticking timebomb. LH side is grand so that's something I suppose.

if POC goes then Munster are in trouble in the 2nd row too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Hard luck Munster, Glasgow played well. Look forward to next season and seeing all the Provinces again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

aimee1 wrote: »

He's no POC but Foley has been very impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭RecordStraight

After Archer and Botha who do you have?
    The versatile Keith Earls.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Actually spent most of the last 2 days with a few Scrum guru's in Munster.
    Archer has stepped up in a huge way and while not fantastic isn't that bad. Academy prop Burke is a long term good prospect.
    Casey got a lot of press from the real successful lineout when he emerged but hasn't regressed that much has he?
    In short term maybe but Billy Holland has shown much good and better than most would have thought in recent season or so. Donncha Ryan/Dave Foley if get over injurys are good options and there is huge potential in some of the academy guys.
    Would worry more about other positions than the second row.

CoDy1 wrote: »
    He's no POC but Foley has been very impressive.

POC was 6n player of the tournament and has had a fine season overall. Ryan is just back from long term injury which will help Foley is still at the has potential stage for me, a bit like Casey. Next season is a very big season for them both

POC will be a huge loss, similar to Sexton going to paris for two years was for leinster.

Actually spent most of the last 2 days with a few Scrum guru's in Munster.
    Archer has stepped up in a huge way and while not fantastic isn't that bad. Academy prop Burke is a long term good prospect.
    Casey got a lot of press from the real successful lineout when he emerged but hasn't regressed that much has he?

I dunno, the Munster fans will know a lot better than me, but it seems that just getting through the game equates to a good day out for Archer and there is quite literally no-one behind him.

I can't make my mind up about Casey; he's just played too few games to really judge, the problem is if Sherry doesn't come back then they're completely reliant on Casey...

I don't believe there was ever anything behind the Creevy story but some strengthening of front row resources would have been great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

POC was 6n player of the tournament and has had a fine season overall. Ryan is just back from long term injury which will help Foley is still at the has potential stage for me, a bit like Casey. Next season is a very big season for them both

POC will be a huge loss, similar to Sexton going to paris for two years was for leinster.

Casey has been mostly injured since xmas, so its a bit soon to write him off.

POC is irreplacable, but Munster & Ireland were without him for 2 seasons through injury, so it will be nothing new.

jm08 wrote: »
    Casey has been mostly injured since xmas, so its a bit soon to write him off.

POC is irreplacable, but Munster & Ireland were without him for 2 seasons through injury, so it will be nothing new.

i havent written him off. But its fair to say next season is a big season for him.

POC will be gone forever, not injured. Thats one hell of a gap to fill and there is nobody in the current setup at munster at or close to his level. Foley looks like he has huge potential and needs to step up, like casey, to fulfil that.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

With Henshaw arriving, Guineauz staying and still on the look out for a tight head I wonder if Munster have the pack to supply the ball to the backs next season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

With Henshaw arriving

say what?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

i havent written him off. But its fair to say next season is a big season for him.

POC will be gone forever, not injured. Thats one hell of a gap to fill and there is nobody in the current setup at munster at or close to his level. Foley looks like he has huge potential and needs to step up, like casey, to fulfil that.

All seasons are big seasons for most players. Casey stepped up big time when asked. Niall Scannell (former U20s captain) looks to be the real deal as well.

As for POC - he was going to retire soon anyway - Munster has a decent bunch of locks with Donnacha Ryan, Foley & Holland for starters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ouncer

With Henshaw arriving, Guineauz staying and still on the look out for a tight head I wonder if Munster have the pack to supply the ball to the backs next season
    OK first up henshaw ain't arriving. And even if he was he doesn't address your issues. No murray for most of year with 6n and world cup. Keats struggling. You can put henshaw in all other positions while ignoring Williams is bog standard and keats is currently falling short of even bog standard. Address issues first.

ouncer wrote:
    OK first up henshaw ain't arriving. And even if he was he doesn't address your issues. No murray for most of year with 6n and world cup. Keats struggling. You can put henshaw in all other positions while ignoring Williams is bog standard and keats is currently falling short of even bog standard. Address issues first.

Wait and see on Henshaw. Henshaw and Saili in the centre with Murray and Blydeendal at 9 and 10. All teams will suffer with World Cup. Munster less so than others

jm08 wrote: »
    All seasons are big seasons for most players. Casey stepped up big time when asked. Niall Scannell (former U20s captain) looks to be the real deal as well.

As for POC - he was going to retire soon anyway - Munster has a decent bunch of locks with Donnacha Ryan, Foley & Holland for starters.

Decent is one thing at pro12 but only ryan is international class at the moment. Next season is a big season because its rwc time. These guys need to make progress.its the same at leinster with a good few guys

Wait and see on Henshaw. Henshaw and Saili in the centre with Murray and Blydeendal at 9 and 10. All teams will suffer with World Cup. Munster less so than others
    Aimless

• Registered Users Posts: 13,032 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

• Advertisement

Henshaw will be at Connacht next season, we know this already.

And Paul O'Connell is contracted with Munster next season. As I said wait and see on Henshaw.

And Paul O'Connell is contracted with Munster next season. As I said wait and see on Henshaw.
    Penitence. Its not easy. I have a lot to answer for in my own posts. Struggling to hold it together :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 balbriggan100

Keatley is never a first choice outhalf and if it is Bleyendaal or Johnny Holland as first choice next season so be it. Let's get on with it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭letowski

Dissappointing end to the season, but when I kinda think about it getting to the final on merit was a good result and even better for next season if were first seed in the champions cup draw next month. So theres somethjng to build on.
    But Foley has alot of work over the summer to do with this squad. Our attack is so pedestrian and I think we lack proper coaching here, we looked like an AIL side compared to Glasgow yesterday. Hopefully TB and Saili can bring something next year, I thought Hurley and Earls did well too this year, but we definitely need more work on our skills and execution. How we coordinate our defense needs to be reviewed as well, we have looked really porous.
    Our set piece was very good but I cant help but feeling concerned about it when Poc and Guinazu leave, BJ a year older too. We need Casey and Foley to continue to improve.

letowski wrote:
    Dissappointing end to the season, but when I kinda think about it getting to the final on merit was a good result and even better for next season if were first seed in the champions cup draw next month. So theres somethjng to build on. But Foley has alot of work over the summer to do with this squad. Our attack is so pedestrian and I think we lack proper coaching here, we looked like an AIL side compared to Glasgow yesterday. Hopefully TB and Saili can bring something next year, I thought Hurley and Earls did well too this year, but we definitely need more work on our skills and execution. How we coordinate our defense needs to be reviewed as well, we have looked really porous. Our set piece was very good but I cant help but feeling concerned about it when Poc and Guinazu leave, BJ a year older too. We need Casey and Foley to continue to improve.

Guinazu has a contract offer to stay on and is expected to sign it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

That was 1 poor final. Credit Glasgow, they deserved it. Will be good for the game there, just a pity it came at our expense.

I'm also more downbeat on our world cup prospects after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Guinazu has a contract offer to stay on and is expected to sign it.

I really hope he does. Good player and superb scrummager

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Rightwing wrote: »
    That was 1 poor final. Credit Glasgow, they deserved it. Will be good for the game there, just a pity it came at our expense.

I'm also more downbeat on our world cup prospects after that.

Why? Very few players on the field will tog out in important games for Ireland in the RWC. Of the players on view last night, realistically, only POC is a starter. Murray is a definite. POM is an almost definite. Kilcoyne & Earls might be bench options. Zebo looks in need of a reboot and was clearly still injured from the last game. Stander won't be I.Q. After that there is little to offer. There is little correlation these days between Munster's playing roster and Ireland's performances. Despite being crap all season, Leinster will almost certainly be 'Ireland' with a smattering of M, U and C players.

Rightwing wrote: »
    That was 1 poor final.

It really wasn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭hendo12

The final was lovely to watch. Glasgow play a lovely style of rugby

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement