Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread IV

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Teferi wrote: »
    +10000000

Luke had an absolute cracker of a game. If I remember correctly he made a mistake or two due to a little overeagerness but he was the hungriest worker on the pitch.

If only BOD hadn't intervened and stopped his move to Munster...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,958 ✭✭✭✭phog

aimee1 wrote: »
    Fitz did ok. certainly wasnt a disappointing performance from him. It doesnt matter what the reason was, some people will automatically assume it was provincial bias or scapegoating.

Yes he did OK but from someone who argued for his inclusion from the beginning I thought he played well below his best.
    I can't understand the moaning about Schmidt and the style when we see what it's delivered. You can argue that Ireland has been lucky etc but the fact is Ireland has won two championships, beaten Australia and South Africa and would have beaten New Zealand if the match hadn't been called off. Yeah it would be great if Ireland played like Glasgow but I'm liking the consecutive titles to be honest. Plus, who knows if Schmidt has something up his sleeve for the World Cup. I have a feeling we'll see a more 'palatable' Ireland come September, as I fear continuing with the same strategy will see Ireland found out if it doesn't work.

If we were South African would we have cared about South Africa playing a kick chase game in 2007?

Plus, Munster fans, do we recall how Munster closed the game out for a good portion of the second half against Toulouse in 2008? It wasn't exactly pretty but nobody (rightly) gave a bollix.

Your own signature here for a while moaned about part of Joe's gameplan.

Fwiw, Kidney won Championships and a Grandslam, it never stopped some folk having a crack at him. Nor should it mind you.

aimee1 wrote: »
    Joe "delivers silverware" schmidt

Matt "delivers silverware" O'Connor was sacked and lost a large portion of fans

• Registered Users Posts: 13,032 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

phog wrote: »
    Matt "delivers silverware" O'Connor was sacked and lost a large portion of fans

MOC - Pro12 x1

Schmidt - Pro12 x1, Amlin x1, HEC x2, 6N x2 (with trophies won every single season he's been in Ireland)

Yeah awesome comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Your own signature here for a while moaned about part of Joe's gameplan.

Ha! If anything Ireland are actually half decent at executing box kicks, unlike other teams. My problem with box kicks stems from teams who are incapable of executing the move always trying it anyway. Here's a good tactic lads, let's just kick the ball high in the air for 10 metres and give the ball to the opposition.

I'm not saying people shouldn't have a crack at Schmidt, I just think some of the criticism is over the top considering the achievements. What I can't understand is criticism without acknowledging the success it has brought. Plus I don't remember a lot of criticism of Kidney when we won the Grand Slam. It wasn't the best rugby in 2009 but Ireland were bloody efficient at converting opportunities. If the results for Schmidt go downhill and Ireland stick to a rigid kick/chase gameplan, I'll be the first to complain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Do You Even Squat

Iirc, Joe wanted to give Zebo a break rather than what Fitz was supposed to bring to the game. Fitz's performance in that gane was disappointing to be honest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xLi3GUDyPk
    Absolutely shocking performance. Should never don the green jersey again

So in today's Indo: http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/munster-rugby/foley-in-market-for-top-player-to-replace-oconnell-as-he-urges-lesser-lights-to-step-up-31268528.html

It mentions the clause I brought up a few days ago. The sentence is written in a nothing way though. They are looking into it but it might not be workable?

Quotes from Foley implying that Munster might receive an exceptional NIE spot for a second row signing given POC is leaving a year before they thought. I would have thought Munster would just soldier on with Ryan, Foley and Holland.

Also suggests we are looking at Matt D'Arcy, the Clontarf centre. I saw him play in the AIL final a few weeks back and he scored an excellent intercept try. Anyone know how old he is?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,032 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Quotes from Foley implying that Munster might receive an exceptional NIE spot for a second row signing given POC is leaving a year before they thought. I would have thought Munster would just soldier on with Ryan, Foley and Holland.

Very tough to go a whole season with only three 2nd rows I'd have thought, Ryan and Foley would be the obvious first choice but if Ryan is off with Ireland and at the same time someone got injured say, Munster would be in serious trouble.

Normally I'd moan about NIQs but if dispensation is given to sign someone for a season it's probably fair tbh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xLi3GUDyPk
    Absolutely shocking performance. Should never don the green jersey again

Oh, the good bits. Two mins from an 80 min game, even in his first run there his off load was poor.

As I said he did ok but for him I was disappointed. I expected more and in that game he should have stood out more.

Ha! If anything Ireland are actually half decent at executing box kicks, unlike other teams. My problem with box kicks stems from teams who are incapable of executing the move always trying it anyway. Here's a good tactic lads, let's just kick the ball high in the air for 10 metres and give the ball to the opposition.

I'm not saying people shouldn't have a crack at Schmidt, I just think some of the criticism is over the top considering the achievements. What I can't understand is criticism without acknowledging the success it has brought. Plus I don't remember a lot of criticism of Kidney when we won the Grand Slam. It wasn't the best rugby in 2009 but Ireland were bloody efficient at converting opportunities. If the results for Schmidt go downhill and Ireland stick to a rigid kick/chase gameplan, I'll be the first to complain.

Others clearly are though.

• Advertisement

Very tough to go a whole season with only three 2nd rows I'd have thought, Ryan and Foley would be the obvious first choice but if Ryan is off with Ireland and at the same time someone got injured say, Munster would be in serious trouble.

Normally I'd moan about NIQs but if dispensation is given to sign someone for a season it's probably fair tbh.

Well there's DOC too in the dirttracker squad and then Madigan and McCarthy from the academy. I use those three as the players who are in line to be in the first choice 23.

Maybe we could coax Bakkies the Butcher out of retirement! Tbh if Munster do bring someone in it would have to be someone who is clearly better than any of the first three or it's a waste. The only way a top class player could become available now is a player who misses out on World Cup selection in the SH and wants out / a fresh start.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

MOC - Pro12 x1

Schmidt - Pro12 x1, Amlin x1, HEC x2, 6N x2 (with trophies won every single season he's been in Ireland)

Yeah awesome comparison.

Schmidt has won 100% of the tournaments he has entered as Ireland coach... hopefully that continues

Others clearly are though.
    I can only speak for myself tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Oh, the good bits. Two mins from an 80 min game, even in his first run there his off load was poor.

As I said he did ok but for him I was disappointed. I expected more and in that game he should have stood out more.

Clearly the 6 Nations lads thought his performance was eye catching enough to put up a video about it..

The idea that Zebo was rested for that game is also crazy. As if Ireland would have made a selection at winger that was based on anything other than who they thought would help them score the most amount of points in a game where our points difference was going to decide the winner of the championship.

Zebo hasn't been in very good form since the 6 Nations, I'm surprised Joe isn't getting more of the blame for that, another player's confidence destroyed!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Clearly the 6 Nations lads thought his performance was eye catching enough to put up a video about it..

The idea that Zebo was rested for that game is also crazy. As if Ireland would have made a selection at winger that was based on anything other than who they thought would help them score the most amount of points in a game where our points difference was going to decide the winner of the championship.

Zebo hasn't been in very good form since the 6 Nations, I'm surprised Joe isn't getting more of the blame for that, another player's confidence destroyed!

According to Joe:
    "With Simon, he has started the last nine matches. He has played throughout the Six Nations and he has just shown signs of wear and tear," said the head coach of a player who drops entirely out of the 23-man squad.

"He's got a few niggles so we just wanted someone who was at 100% as opposed to someone who has worked incredibly hard on their game but is just starting to show signs of wear and tear.
    As for what he (Luke) brings with him?
    "A real freshness," said Schmidt. "He has been champing at the bit for a while. He has been close to being included the last two weeks and Simon's performances have made it difficult for him to get in.
    "It's just those signs of wear and tear, it's something we have been thinking about the last two weeks. Maybe not just there but other players as well. We have tried to find a balance between a little bit of continuity and a little bit of freshness as well."

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/other/zebo-out-due-to-wear-and-tear-schmidt-668243.html

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

So in today's Indo: http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/munster-rugby/foley-in-market-for-top-player-to-replace-oconnell-as-he-urges-lesser-lights-to-step-up-31268528.html

It mentions the clause I brought up a few days ago. The sentence is written in a nothing way though. They are looking into it but it might not be workable?

Also suggests we are looking at Matt D'Arcy, the Clontarf centre. I saw him play in the AIL final a few weeks back and he scored an excellent intercept try. Anyone know how old he is?

Matt is fairly young, he's essentially Noel Reid 2.0, I'd be delighted for him if he got a provincial contract but obviously I'd prefer it if it was with leinster ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

jm08 wrote: »

Well if Joe Schmidt said it to the media then it must be the entirety of the story...

They picked the winger who they thought would give them the best attacking options on the day, if they thought Zebo gave them more then he would have started, there's absolutely no way that is not the case given the nature and enormity of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

If that was zebo the opinion would be very different. Does zebo always retain possession and is he 100% successful with offloads or is this just more anti leinster bias bull****.

Ireland won the 6n for the 2nd year running yet the most successful coach irish rugby has ever known still gets questioned about his decision making. Astounding really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭Hype710

.ak wrote: »
    Matt is fairly young, he's essentially Noel Reid 2.0, I'd be delighted for him if he got a provincial contract but obviously I'd prefer it if it was with leinster ;)

He's 24, 25 in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Munster thread folks...move the irish/JS stuff to the ireland thread please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Back to Munster related stuff: Are we due another change of home shirt for next season? Or has the current jersey ran it's course yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Back to Munster related stuff: Are we due another change of home shirt for next season? Or has the current jersey ran it's course yet?

Yeah new home Jersey this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

New alternative jersey too hopefully! I've often wondered why they don't just stick with the one colour for the alternative Jersey. The navy ones are usually the best.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Bassfish wrote: »
    New alternative jersey too hopefully! I've often wondered why they don't just stick with the one colour for the alternative Jersey. The navy ones are usually the best.

Away jerseys are about sales. They change every year and that's why it's a different colour every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Therw wont be a new away jersey this year.
    They alternate which they get a new of each year, this years turn is home.
    Not sure about the European jersey though, they might do a new one of those but following the old jersey updating model they wouldn't be getting a new one of those until next year either.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Away jerseys are about sales. They change every year and that's why it's a different colour every year.

I'm guilty of buying the away jerseys when they come out. I do look quite fetching in the luminous green/yellow one for this season. :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    Therw wont be a new away jersey this year.
    They alternate which they get a new of each year, this years turn is home.
    Not sure about the European jersey though, they might do a new one of those but following the old jersey updating model they wouldn't be getting a new one of those until next year either.

Incorrect. New home jersey every 2 years, new away jersey every year. It's been that way since Canterbury made the kit. Next season there'll be new home and away kits.

Are we going to have a smaller senior squad next year? It looks that way with the announced comings and goings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

The new alternative jersey is going to be luminous again this year, orange though

• Advertisement

I hope we stick with the European jersey, it's been the best one for years.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement