Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread IV

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

phog wrote: »
    You don't replace the likes of POC

That unfortunately is very true, but as we have seen with Leinster, and their attempt at filling the number 13 shirt. You need to have a plan in place when you lose a great, if you don't the team suffers and results in turn suffer

• Registered Users Posts: 23,933 ✭✭✭✭phog

hendo12 wrote: »
    Ok smart arse who would you put in the team at no5

Its not being smart, no matter who we try there they will never bring what POC brought.

We have Foley, Holland, DOC, Ryan all available next year and we should see Madigan and McCarthy coming through next season.

I reckon if Madigan hadn't picked up the injury we'd have seen as much of him in the Pro12 as we did of JOD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

"It probably is the last time I play for Munster here." P O'C.

Is O'Connell expected to confirm that he is going to France ?
    Seems to imply it is possible that he might play for someone else in Thomond Park and so yesterday wasnt absolutely his final day there.

"It probably is the last time I play for Munster here." P O'C.

Is O'Connell expected to confirm that he is going to France ?
    Seems to imply it is possible that he might play for someone else in Thomond Park and so yesterday was absolutely his final day there.

We he's almost certainly going to play for Munster next week in Ravenhill so he might have meant that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Looking forward to going to Ravenhill next week. Never there before. I'd expect us to win it by 10+ points, if we play reasonably well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I hope the Toulon move happens for him. He deserves as big a retirement kitty as he can get and a two year stint in Toulon will surely add another title to his achievements. At the same time I hope Mourad sorts us out with a nice transfer fee.

I don't think Munster will do anything reactionary to replace POC. Provided everyone stays fit we have a first choice trio of Foley, Ryan and Holland. Ryan has maybe three years left and that's when academy players like Madigan or McCarthy will be needed to step up.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭hendo12

Mourand won't pay jack **** to anyone. Anyway if anyone was to get a fee it would be the IRFU

Mourand won't pay jack **** to anyone. Anyway if anyone was to get a fee it would be the IRFU

Well Mourad can feck off then! While POC deserves to be released for his immense credit in the bank, that doesn't mean the IRFU should be expected to let him go for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,272 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Ok smart arse who would you put in the team at no5

The best available 5 plain and simple. POC the leader won't necessarily be replaced by a second row and obsessing with finding a fully formed single replacement is futile. Play the best available second row combination and give the new leaders the space to emerge from whatever position they're playing.

POM for example is part of the leadership answer, but I don't think he's the full answer, however there's no reason it has to be just one person filling the void.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Why would there be a transfer fee? Is he not out of contract?

• Advertisement

Ah no, POC's contract with IRFU finishes 2016

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

.ak wrote: »
    Why would there be a transfer fee? Is he not out of contract?

Another year. But the IRFU wouldn't insist on him being bought out, if he really wanted to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Its not being smart, no matter who we try there they will never bring what POC brought.

We have Foley, Holland, DOC, Ryan all available next year and we should see Madigan and McCarthy coming through next season.

I reckon if Madigan hadn't picked up the injury we'd have seen as much of him in the Pro12 as we did of JOD.
    But saying "we wont replace POC" is stupid. We can and will produce someone maybe not to level but ...

Madigan wouldn't have got game time in pro12 as JackO did as he hasn't even played a huge amount of A rugby so is a good bit away. from pro12 and certainly far away from getting the game time JOD got this season.
    Madigan will be looking to just play regularly in the AIL, the As in early part of next season and possibly getting pro12 time at end of next season

We can and will produce someone maybe not to level but ...

So you agree, no one replaces the likes of POC.

Madigan wouldn't have got game time in pro12 as JackO did as he hasn't even played a huge amount of A rugby so is a good bit away. from pro12 and certainly far away from getting the game time JOD got this season.
    Madigan will be looking to just play regularly in the AIL, the As in early part of next season and possibly getting pro12 time at end of next season

But if Madigan wasn't injured he'd have got A games and IMHO I think he'd have got Pro12 gametime too.

I think we mean replace numerically, as opposed to replacing the level of player.

I see people writing posts where Munster won't add a 2nd row that there's enough within - I totally disagree look at the hooker situation where we have lost a few hookers over the years and Mike Sherry isn't guaranteed to come through. Munster have to make a statement and will have to bring in a WORLD CLASS LOCK

I think we mean replace numerically, as opposed to replacing the level of player.

But it's not that simple. You can name any lock you like to play at No5, getting anything close to what POC brings to a team is going to be nigh on impossible.

I see people writing posts where Munster won't add a 2nd row that there's enough within - I totally disagree look at the hooker situation where we have lost a few hookers over the years and Mike Sherry isn't guaranteed to come through. Munster have to make a statement and will have to bring in a WORLD CLASS LOCK

What NIQ player/position would you drop or manage without to try and bring in a world class lock? Would the IRFU allow us considering we have Foley, Ryan and Holland on the books?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

Dave O'Callaghan too potentially as well as Donncha.

Obviously not to POC's level but who is?

But it's not that simple. You can name any lock you like to play at No5, getting anything close to what POC brings to a team is going to be nigh on impossible.

That's why I said replace numerically. Someone will step in as starter and they'll go from there. The only difference is it's happened a year earlier than expected.

• Advertisement

I did hear what is going on in terms of what you asked (which NIQ would be dropped) while sitting in the East Stand yesterday but will not say what is going on

That's why I said replace numerically. Someone will step in as starter and they'll go from there. The only difference is it's happened a year earlier than expected.

And that's why I said it's not as simple as that.

Losing POC is not just losing a guy who plays at lock.

I did hear what is going on in terms of what you asked (which NIQ would be dropped) while sitting in the East Stand yesterday but will not say what is going on

:eek:

and you called me a smart arse earlier :rolleyes:

Go on, say it.

And that's why I said it's not as simple as that.

Losing POC is not just losing a guy who plays at lock.

I'm not disagreeing. I don't think you can adequately replace POC like for like. Someone will come in for him and Munster will go from there. Nothing else they can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Go on, say it.

Cough, cough, cough, GVDH, cough, cough, cough !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

If the IRFU are allowing POC to be released from the contract a year early so he can play in France, I would hope that Munster are suitably covered. Munster will essentially be losing an asset to the value of ~€400k a year.

While I have no qualms with Paulie heading to France for a year or two, the situation might expose a major flaw with the central-contract structure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mrsc Dublin are hoping to run a bus next Saturday to the final. Info on their facebook page

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Andrew Smith confirms he is leaving Munster at the end of the season to Murray Kinsella of the42.ie, no word yet on where he will go though.

http://www.the42.ie/andrew-smith-munster-australian-centre-2128408-May2015

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭CONSI

I would hope we have someone lined up to come in outside of our already announced signing..Smith would have been a good signing for another year especially with World Cup commitments for so many

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement