Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭daughy

championc wrote: »
    Absolutely can do that. There is nothing anywhere to say that the number on each string should even be close to being equal - so 5 and 11 would be perfectly acceptible
    Hi Championc, I really appreciate your reply. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

irishchris wrote: »
    Excellent cheers. Do you know roughly what distance your were short at both top and bottom? Tried to find pictures of your setup Phil as remember seeing it earlier in posts but can't find it.

I think I was about 6cm short top and bottom, can't remember.

daughy wrote: »
    I have been thinking about my own setup, is it possible to have uneven amounts of panels on the solis 5kw hybrid inverter

I've got 9 panels on one side and 11 on the other.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I've got 9 panels on one side and 11 on the other.
    Thank you DrPhilG, i appreciate your help
    Apologies for asking the same question, I just read page 48 or so of the forum and you had the same dilemma. Will read up first ðŸ‘

Install is happening on Tuesday & Wednesday next week. 6.2kw total, half on the South facing garage, half on the west facing back of the house.

Zappi 2 also.

No water diverter, but I've got a wifi enabled immersion switch ordered so I can kinda manually divert if it happens to be a scorching day and I'm generating more than I'm using.

€50 for the switch beats the pants off €500 for an Eddi.
    Just read your post from a few months ago, I'm going for an Eddie and a zappi, but for the Eddie if anyone knows, I have that wifi switch but hadn't installed it yet, is the Eddie OK with being switched on and off and still keep its memory?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭championc

Just read your post from a few months ago, I'm going for an Eddie and a zappi, but for the Eddie if anyone knows, I have that wifi switch but hadn't installed it yet, is the Eddie OK with being switched on and off and still keep its memory?

Why would you want to that ? What are you trying to do / avoid ? It's likely you can achieve what you want with settings

Why would you want to that ? What are you trying to do / avoid ? It's likely you can achieve what you want with settings

Basically if I had a zappi and a car on charge I would switch the Eddie off through the WiFi, I would hate to think the hot water diverter is taking the energy from the zappi. Just an idea, if I just use a wifi switch with no diverter in place it would consume the 3kw until the tank is at the desired temp, being ireland the weather is very temperamental.

Basically if I had a zappi and a car on charge I would switch the Eddie off through the WiFi, I would hate to think the hot water diverter is taking the energy from the zappi. Just an idea, if I just use a wifi switch with no diverter in place it would consume the 3kw until the tank is at the desired temp, being ireland the weather is very temperamental.

The whole point of the Eddi and Zappi being linked is that if the Zappi is set as the priority, it will always charge first.

The Eddi only kicks in if the car is full, not plugged in, or if the surplus is below 1.4kw which is the minimum that the Zappi needs to start a charge.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,168 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

You can set it to prioritise one over the other without messing about with wifi switches, they're designed to work together.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    You can set it to prioritise one over the other without messing about with wifi switches, they're designed to work together.
    Thank you Mickeroo, I appreciate that. Tnx guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,970 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I'm going for an Eddie and a zappi

Are you sure about the Eddie? If we get a feed in tariff in the next few years (which is highly likely), the Eddie will have lost you significant money

Bad investment...

unkel wrote: »
    Are you sure about the Eddie? If we get a feed in tariff in the next few years (which is highly likely), the Eddie will have lost you significant money

Bad investment...
    Hi unkel, I have seen your posts regarding this subject, it's possible we might get the feed in tariff. I just can't wait for these guys to finally take the finger out and help insentivise others to go green etc and give us something back rather than increase prices while more and more people are stuck at home from covid. I had to switch energy providers yesterday and not a call back from the company I have been with for years to even try to make me stay. What a shower of ****

• Registered Users Posts: 12,085 ✭✭✭✭KCross

...I had to switch energy providers yesterday and not a call back from the company I have been with for years to even try to make me stay. What a shower of ****

You are but a number to the energy providers. They have zero loyalty to their customers and you should repay them in kind by changing EVERY year to get the cheapest deal.

Even if you ring them they will not provide you with their best rates so its pointless even trying.... just switch and get the cheapest on the market every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,970 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Hi unkel, I have seen your posts regarding this subject, it's possible we might get the feed in tariff. I just can't wait for these guys to finally take the finger out

Even if we won't get a FIT, an immersion diverter is a poor investment that is doubtful it will ever pay for itself, unless you have a substantial solar PV array (>=4kwp) and / or your current way of heating water is very expensive (i.e. ancient inefficient boiler)

If we get a FIT, even in 5 years time, even paying just 5c / kWh, you will lose money on that €500 Eddie (incl installation cost). Up to you of course what you do with your hard earned, but just so as you know it will cost you money, not save you money.

If you could buy an immersion diverter for €100 second hand and fit it yourself, that's of course a different matter. I'd even consider doing that myself.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Surely if you are home at you know you are not consuming your harvest you can still old school and go put the immersion on with the flick of a switch or via a timer if the forecast etc. is clear

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

unkel wrote: »
    Even if we won't get a FIT, an immersion diverter is a poor investment that is doubtful it will ever pay for itself, unless you have a substantial solar PV array (>=4kwp) and / or your current way of heating water is very expensive (i.e. ancient inefficient boiler)

If we get a FIT, even in 5 years time, even paying just 5c / kWh, you will lose money on that €500 Eddie (incl installation cost). Up to you of course what you do with your hard earned, but just so as you know it will cost you money, not save you money.

If you could buy an immersion diverter for €100 second hand and fit it yourself, that's of course a different matter. I'd even consider doing that myself.
    That's true unkel, I'll keep an eye out for something. I just liked the one app myenergi for monitoring everything, i have heard myenergi might be coming out with they're own battery, not that I'm interested in batteries at the moment, just interesting to see what they bring to the table.
    Plus they're ct Clamp energises the hub without needing to connect to the main breaker.

Plus they're ct Clamp energises the hub without needing to connect to the main breaker.

Not quite correct - a CT Clamp can power a Harvi - which is used to send CT data over radio 868mhz to the Zappi or Eddi (whichever is the Master device. The Hub is connected by Ethernet to your internet link, and the Hub is powered by a regular Plug type PSU.

Eddi's and Batteries only make sense if you have spare cash now which you have no immediate use for, for which you can then use to lower bills into the future - so to semi protect yourself from future increases in the cost of energy

Not quite correct - a CT Clamp can power a Harvi - which is used to send CT data over radio 868mhz to the Zappi or Eddi (whichever is the Master device. The Hub is connected by Ethernet to your internet link, and the Hub is powered by a regular Plug type PSU.

Eddi's and Batteries only make sense if you have spare cash now which you have no immediate use for, for which you can then use to lower bills into the future - so to semi protect yourself from future increases in the cost of energy
    Apologies guys, you right championc, the harvi is connected to the ct clamps.
    Guys before I return this 5kw solis hybrid can anyone help with this question, I'm getting under grid voltage alot on this inverter, shutting the inverter down, I have the grid standard set at EN50438IE, honestly I really think this is the correct setting for ireland but I could be wrong.
    It can be as low as 210 ac volts going to the inverter, max I have seen is 226 volts, nearly all the time it's 219 volts, just doesn't seem right

Have you not got a digital meter to check the voltage at the main board ? It could just be that supply in the area is bad, but that your other devices just do not complain.

If you do get 230 at the board, then turn off the inverter and check it at the point going into the inverter. Then does it change when the inverter is turned on ?

Have you not got a digital meter to check the voltage at the main board ? It could just be that supply in the area is bad, but that your other devices just do not complain.

If you do get 230 at the board, then turn off the inverter and check it at the point going into the inverter. Then does it change when the inverter is turned on ?
    True, I will wait for low voltage and check the AC disconnect at the main board, then recheck it at the inverter ac disconnect. I recently checked the AC disconnect at the inverter with a multimeter and it read 217,just as the inverter had said. I should have checked the main board but wasn't thinking. It could possible be a bad ac disconnect that came with the inverter.
    Thank you championc, sorry guys for posting here as I know it's really for solar quotes etc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

True, I will wait for low voltage and check the AC disconnect at the main board, then recheck it at the inverter ac disconnect. I recently checked the AC disconnect at the inverter with a multimeter and it read 217,just as the inverter had said. I should have checked the main board but wasn't thinking. It could possible be a bad ac disconnect that came with the inverter.
    Thank you championc, sorry guys for posting here as I know it's really for solar quotes etc..

Don't worry, lots of knowledgeable people here to help I would say

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭spose

That's true unkel, I'll keep an eye out for something. I just liked the one app myenergi for monitoring everything, i have heard myenergi might be coming out with they're own battery, not that I'm interested in batteries at the moment, just interesting to see what they bring to the table.

The solar iboost works well and very easy to install at about €250. No online monitoring though but you can read locally what it’s consumed in the last 24hr, 7 days, 28 days and total ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

spose wrote: »
    The solar iboost works well and very easy to install at about €250. No online monitoring though but you can read locally what it’s consumed in the last 24hr, 7 days, 28 days and total ever.

But it won't play nice with his Zappi.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

garo wrote: »
    But it won't play nice with his Zappi.

yeah it will just be invisible to it.

Could a ct be put on the immersion feed and configured in the myengery system? ie dont count the useage from the immersion in the "excess calculation"

(easier just to use the eddi)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭irishchris

well finally got my system up and installed today. excellent job by mysolar company and reasonably priced at 2,700 after grant. 2.88kw system sw facing and so far on overcast day 4.1 kw in 4 hours

So we are allowed to name suppliers? Some clarification would be really nice!

On another note, what's the going rate for a BER cert? I forgot all about it, just contacted 2 people. One quoted €180 including registration fee, the other quoted €280!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

irishchris wrote: »
    well finally got my system up and installed today. excellent job by mysolar company and reasonably priced at 2,700 after grant. 2.88kw system sw facing and so far on overcast day 4.1 kw in 4 hours

Congratulations, you will be glued to the app for a while.
    :D:D:)

On another note, what's the going rate for a BER cert? I forgot all about it, just contacted 2 people. One quoted €180 including registration fee, the other quoted €280!

Average in Galway was 300-350! Managed to get one for 250 in end. High prices for what they do really.

• Advertisement

MAULBROOK wrote: »
    Congratulations, you will be glued to the app for a while.
    :D:D:)

You are right about that! found myself refreshing it quicker than the auto refresh at times :-)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement