Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

irishchris wrote: »
    You are right about that! found myself refreshing it quicker than the auto refresh at times :-)

Don't worry the novelty will ware off by december 2021.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    On another note, what's the going rate for a BER cert? I forgot all about it, just contacted 2 people. One quoted €180 including registration fee, the other quoted €280!

Did your installer not include that?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

MAULBROOK wrote: »
    Did your installer not include that?

No, I had some include it in the quote and some not. The one I used didn't. I haggled a few other things and got a fantastic price though so €180 on the BER isn't a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

180 is a good price for a solar install BER cert. Make sure they know that you need to get a C rating.

garo wrote: »
    180 is a good price for a solar install BER cert. Make sure they know that you need to get a C rating.

My last BER was a C2, 4 years ago. Since then I've got the solar, and dry lined one end of the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,085 ✭✭✭✭unkel

No, I had some include it in the quote and some not. The one I used didn't. I haggled a few other things and got a fantastic price though so €180 on the BER isn't a disaster.

That's the first 4-6 months savings lost though :(

unkel wrote: »

Your a bold boy..:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Still 4-6 months less CO2!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Spoke with a pv rep this evening to get a third quote. I let him know that I has gotten a significantly cheaper price. He had no problem with that.

The advice he gave me was to ask the PV contractor, who was providing the warranty, them or the manufacturer. 10 years from now the contractor might not be trading so if you have problems you will have little fallback.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Spoke with a pv rep this evening to get a third quote. I let him know that I has gotten a significantly cheaper price. He had no problem with that.

The advice he gave me was to ask the PV contractor, who was providing the warranty, them or the manufacturer. 10 years from now the contractor might not be trading so if you have problems you will have little fallback.

10yrs from now the manufacturer might not be going either!

• Advertisement

Standard sales man bullying tactic. Do not fall for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Standard sales man bullying tactic. Do not fall for it.

That was after I told him his price was significantly out and that I wouldn't be going with them, he didn't seem to be talking me into it.

Exactly. The normal sales talk didn't work on you as you are rational and you did your sums. That's when the bullying tactic comes in. To try scare you into accepting his deal. FUD.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

Hi All,

Any recommendations on where to put the panels with the following aspect (taken from OSI map):

528518.png

The house back is SSE to SE, so I was thinking of putting most of them there, with perhaps a few (second MPPT string) on the side that would ~SW facing.

Thanks for any advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭daughy

tails_naf wrote: »
    Hi All,

Any recommendations on where to put the panels with the following aspect (taken from OSI map):

528518.png

The house back is SSE to SE, so I was thinking of putting most of them there, with perhaps a few (second MPPT string) on the side that would ~SW facing.

Thanks for any advice!
    How many panels on a second string do u think you would get on the SW, i think you may have a good view of the sun, what size system would you like?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

daughy wrote: »
    How many panels on a second string do u think you would get on the SW, i think you may have a good view of the sun, what size system would you like?

I'd probably get 4 or 5 on the SW, and hope to have 17 or 18 320W altogether, so 5 SW and 12 SE. 5.4KW peak. Looking at the solar calculator here: https://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_tools/en/tools.html it seems to suggest there's very little difference ce, so the only advantage may be smoothing out the time of day the panels are generating for, so maybe slightly reducing storage needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭daughy

I'd probably get 4 or 5 on the SW, and hope to have 17 or 18 320W altogether, so 5 SW and 12 SE. 5.4KW peak. Looking at the solar calculator here: https://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_tools/en/tools.html it seems to suggest there's very little difference ce, so the only advantage may be smoothing out the time of day the panels are generating for, so maybe slightly reducing storage needed.

That's a fine system, have you got any quotes or going for a DIY build

That time of day advantage is huge. I wouldn’t sniff at it. Maximise the number of panels on the SW roof and put the rest SE.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Ballylad

Hi, Any thoughts on following solar pv panels
    Longi 350w monocrystalline
    Q cells 350w monocrystalline, both black , Longi pv are 25e per panel cheaper, which are best long term, tempted by cheaper ones thnks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Deagol

Got a quote for:

12x 340 watt panels (ground mounted).
    4.8kw Battery
    3.6 Solis Inverter

Already have diverter.

Fitted price; 11,500euros (inc.VAT).

Look excessive?

• Advertisement

Deagol wrote: »
    Look excessive?

Excessive by about €4k.

Unless that's a pre grant price, or a ground mount is massively more expensive than roof mount for some reason.

Got a quote for:

12x 340 watt panels (ground mounted).
    4.8kw Battery
    3.6 Solis Inverter

Already have diverter.

Fitted price; 11,500euros (inc.VAT).

Look excessive?

It is excessive. Assume this is before grant? Ak what the price is with a 2.4kWh battery.

Ballylad wrote: »
    Hi, Any thoughts on following solar pv panels
    Longi 350w monocrystalline
    Q cells 350w monocrystalline, both black , Longi pv are 25e per panel cheaper, which are best long term, tempted by cheaper ones thnks

Honest answer is these panels haven't been around long enough for you to know what will be better in the long run. My guess is they'll be fine either way so go for the cheaper ones. Longi are a big enough manufacturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

I’m only starting out on this embark but can anyone please PM me suppliers/ installers in the west ( Mayo) . I’ve a large east west roof that can be used . As for options I’m completely bamboozeled with all the terminology . All i know is from unkel is to install as many panels as I can . After that I’ve a lot to learn .

Excessive by about €4k.

Unless that's a pre grant price, or a ground mount is massively more expensive than roof mount for some reason.

No grant applicable as I've previously used it for a smaller system without a battery. Can I still get the grant for the battery?

From what I can see ground mount is slightly more expensive but it looks very high to me.

The quote is from the installer recommended by a couple of people on here via PM so I'm at a bit of a loss to understand why it appears so high.

It is excessive. Assume this is before grant? Ak what the price is with a 2.4kWh battery.

I think I'm going to ask for a breakdown of the pricing to see if I can identify where the excess is appearing. When I look at buying the parts I'm finding the panels cost ~1500eur, 3.6kw Solis with 4.8kwh battery is ~€3300. Ground mounting and other sundries around €1000. So it looks like a very high labour charge - either that or they are paying over the odds for parts?

I’m only starting out on this embark but can anyone please PM me suppliers/ installers in the west ( Mayo) . I’ve a large east west roof that can be used . As for options I’m completely bamboozeled with all the terminology . All i know is from unkel is to install as many panels as I can . After that I’ve a lot to learn .

PM sent

I think I'm going to ask for a breakdown of the pricing to see if I can identify where the excess is appearing. When I look at buying the parts I'm finding the panels cost ~1500eur, 3.6kw Solis with 4.8kwh battery is ~€3300. Ground mounting and other sundries around €1000. So it looks like a very high labour charge - either that or they are paying over the odds for parts?

Certain others have reported higher quotes from said installer than DrPhilG and rx8 got. But ground mount is also usually more expensive. Maybe installer doesn't have experience of ground mounts?

You can get the 600 Euro grant for the battery if you already claimed for a non-battery system. But in your position I would consider forgoing the battery completely and just getting panels + non-hybrid inverter.

The quote is from the installer recommended by a couple of people on here via PM so I'm at a bit of a loss to understand why it appears so high.

The one used by myself and rx8?

Make sure you get a breakdown. I was emailed a full quote with a breakdown. And if the price is sky high then haggle.

• Advertisement

Certain others have reported higher quotes from said installer than DrPhilG and rx8 got. But ground mount is also usually more expensive. Maybe installer doesn't have experience of ground mounts?

You can get the 600 Euro grant for the battery if you already claimed for a non-battery system. But in your position I would consider forgoing the battery completely and just getting panels + non-hybrid inverter.

Talked to them and he's saying ground mount is adding €2k to the quote! For roof mounted would be €9500.

I have some outside driveway lighting at night that makes me think battery would be a good idea. I'm still umming about the size though. Seems that 2.4kw vs 4.8kw makes sense as price differential is small enough. I'm open to arguments on why 2.4 or 4.8 is better though!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement