Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭championc

How hard can it be to knock up a ground frame yourself ????

There are plenty of bushwhackers in the states with videos of diy installs on wood frames

• Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

BER Assessor just left. He reckons I'll probably be up from a C2 to a B something with the installation of the solar, and moving from an open fire to a stove recently. Also dry lined the end wall but he says that doesn't have as big an impact on the rating as it would in an older house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Deagol

championc wrote: »
    How hard can it be to knock up a ground frame yourself ????

There are plenty of bushwhackers in the states with videos of diy installs on wood frames

I did some very basic calculations on wind strength / area etc and found that any mounts I did myself would be likely to turn into flying objects first really good storm. The amount of force generated by 12sqm of panels being caught by 160km/hr wind gust is quite phenomenal.

On the other hand the cost of the panels is not high enough to make me panic about it.

TBH, I'd love to give it a go but I'd need to find a competent electrician to tie it in but so far I'm finding refusal's to work on equipment they didn't install or they didn't buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Is a roof mount completely out of the question for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Deagol

garo wrote: »
    Is a roof mount completely out of the question for you?

Not entirely - but the current 2.1kw is on the garage roof and there's only enough room for maybe 3 more panels. THe other side of the roof is shadowed by trees so not an option.

Right beside the garage I have an unused 3 foot high raised 'flower' bed that faces south. I thought it would be ideal. The house roof faces south but that aspect is dormer so a bit messy in terms of panels and access.

One of the installer is going to call in and give some advise on what they think will work so maybe will get clearer idea then. Thanks to everyone who's advised / helped / PM'd so far - all the advise is appreciated.

• Advertisement

A dormer is not completely out of the question. You may need to get a few optimisers but I got 8 panels above the dormer on my roof. A few optimisers would surely be cheaper than shelling out an extra 1-2k for the ground mounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭JJ O Malley

Hi all. Deliberating getting PV panels for some time. I've read that the grant comes to an end in December. Also heard that surplus can be sold to the grid starting 2021. It seems a no brainer to get it now if this is correct. I expect there will be a big rush over the next month or so. Am I correct on this, any possibility they would say that those who got the grant can't sell back?

I'm based in galway. Could someone please recommend a company to install?

I'm struggling to understand why I'd get batteries if surplus can be sold to the grid. Why not use ther grid as a battery selling surplus and buy back as needed. Ive got a couple of quotes and found the batteries are very expensive. Maybe better off paying for more panels and saving a few grand.

Im told to only get glass-glass panels not glass foil. Anyone know how critical this is? Apparently glass-glass will be less problematic.

Looking forward to learning all about solar / PV.

Cheers
    John

Glass glass? Is it a conservatory roof yer installing? More weight, more expense. Nah.

I'm a in the no-battery camp. Probably a sore subject at the mo so I'll shut up.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,085 ✭✭✭✭unkel

We're all hoping for a feed in tariff (us being paid for the electricity we send back to the grid) and yes you are right, there is much less of a benefit of a battery if we get paid for our production
    I'm a in the no-battery camp. Probably a sore subject at the mo so I'll shut up.

Not at all. It would be a sorry state of affairs if we couldn't discuss stuff here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭mp3guy

If you get a lot of power cuts batteries make more sense.

• Advertisement

mp3guy wrote: »
    If you get a lot of power cuts batteries make more sense.

Not unless you shell out extra for a proper cutover system. Most installs are grid ties which means when the power goes you solar system shuts down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Not unless you shell out extra for a proper cutover system. Most installs are grid ties which means when the power goes you solar system shuts down.

Right, yes. It's definitely not clear cut.

And a battery big enough to meet the load demand unassisted by the grid which has to be at least 6kWh usable. It's kindov a feature that's claimed but doesn't reaaallllyy work in practical applications.

Or it does but with a disproportionately high pricetag for the performance.

I suppose you could always stick some lead on the li-ion terminals just for the occasion....meyeah...I would. Not every day though Fred.

unkel wrote: »
    You are not quite right there. Most SEAI subsidised PV installs with battery do have an emergency power outlet as standard. When the power goes, that outlet will have power. Obviously the power in your house will not be automatically restored (unless you have some sort of cut over system as you say)

Correct. If you have the EPS outlets wired up right you can get power to a dedicated circuit. But not to the house as a whole.

Studers do it seamlessly. :p

Oh wait they're non-compliant! Meh, way better, these things are amaze-o-boxes.

You are not quite right there. Most SEAI subsidised PV installs with battery do have an emergency power output as standard. When the power goes, that output will have power. Obviously the power in your house will not be automatically restored (unless you have some sort of cut over system as you say)

I have wired the EPS on my outdoor battery inverter to a waterproof outdoor single socket. Last time the power went (for well over an hour) here in Lucan, I hooked up an extension lead to it and plugged my fridge freezer into it. At the same time I took out my eBike battery, hooked up a 48V inverter to that and made diner in the oven (air fryer) :D

And I connected a 25m cable to the inverter in the frunk of my EV permanently connected to my car's battery all the way up to my attic so I could still run my PC (working from home) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭KCross

You are not quite right there. Most SEAI subsidised PV installs with battery do have an emergency power outlet as standard. When the power goes, that outlet will have power. Obviously the power in your house will not be automatically restored (unless you have some sort of cut over system as you say)

SEAI regs require the panels to be auto shutoff when the grid goes so once the battery is dead the lot is gone even if the sun is shining.

Don't do this at home kids!

RQxRkBP.jpg

KCross wrote: »
    SEAI regs require the panels to be auto shutoff when the grid goes so once the battery is dead the lot is gone even if the sun is shining.

Just pull the master fuse of the CU and fire her back up!

Just pull the master fuse of the CU and fire her back up!

There are DC isolators connected to the panels which won’t turn back on until the grid comes back on and those isolators are meant to be near the panels ( so not in a convenient place)

• Advertisement

Only if you do it their way! :pac:

I've never harmed a line worker! Brothers from another mother!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Deagol wrote: »
    Not entirely - but the current 2.1kw is on the garage roof and there's only enough room for maybe 3 more panels. THe other side of the roof is shadowed by trees so not an option.

Right beside the garage I have an unused 3 foot high raised 'flower' bed that faces south. I thought it would be ideal. The house roof faces south but that aspect is dormer so a bit messy in terms of panels and access.

One of the installer is going to call in and give some advise on what they think will work so maybe will get clearer idea then. Thanks to everyone who's advised / helped / PM'd so far - all the advise is appreciated.
    get a welder to make a frame for you you could do it on site you buy material he brings welder

or you could bolt it all together
    make sure it can tilt summer and winter so you get all the sun

https://www.simplifiedbuilding.com/projects/how-to-build-a-solar-panel-frame

Only if you do it their way! :pac:

Of course, but not their way, no grant! :)

Now if you had a loverly AC coupling inverter that can make a microgrid and a means of dumping/throttling surplus power that'd enable the fireman switch again because there's a live feed (with the main CU disconnected)

Of course, but not their way, no grant! :)

I tried applying for the grant waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy too expensive twas.

...and the hardware was not enticing.

QED:

Ya call that a battery disconnect?

Projoy-DC-mcb-2p-237x300.png

or that?

KETO-1-200A.png

Spare me!

That's a Battery Disconnect

ZYFTAt4.jpg

Panels don't "auto shutoff" :p

But yes once the battery is drained, a SEAI grant conform system will no longer provide power.

I think they're refering to the firefighter safety switch and anti-islanding.

• Advertisement

Panels don't "auto shutoff" :p

I don’t understand. If the DC shunt disconnects due to the grid going down then the panels are shutoff and it’s automatic... auto shutoff!? :)

Call it what you will, no power anyway.

And if the battery was at a low state of charge when the power went you are in the same boat as someone with no Solar PV system.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement