Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭idc

DrPhilG wrote: »
    So I ended up increasing to 20 panels overall and putting 11 on the house.

How many sq meters are the 11 on the house? As the limit is 12 square meters. 50% rule would apply if total roof area less than 24 square meters.

Maybe your panels are small ? Mine are just under 2x1 hence 11 panels would be 22 square meters!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caspero

championc wrote: »
    All indications too that the greens will get their way and increase the limits.

That is good to hear. Would you have any further info on the timing of this?

The limits for the planning permission exemption in domestic houses is ridiculously small at 12 sqm. If I understand correctly that would mean max c. 6 panels or c. 2kwh max system production.

Source: Schedule 2, part 1, Class 2(c) here https://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/default/files/legislations/planning_and_development_regulations_2001-2020_unofficial_consolidationannotated16.09.2020.pdf
    Where it says regarding

) The installation or erection of a solar panel on, or within the curtilage of a
    house, or any buildings within the curtilage of a house.

that

The total aperture area of any such panel, taken together with any other such panel previously placed on or within the said curtilage, shall not exceed 12 square metres or 50% of the total roof area, whichever is the lesser.

Assuming that 'curtilage' here means grounds, that implies that even free-standing PV within a huge 1-acre back garden would be limited to 12 square metres, or half of the roof size if that is smaller than 12 sqm! That makes no sense.

From speaking to installers, it sounds like almost everyone takes a typically Irish approach and just ignores the rules and puts up over 12sqm of panels on their roofs. However, that does leave you open to challenge like that Polish lady in Limerick. I hear you that she eventually won the case, but the hassle she had to go through to get to that point was unreal. She actually took down 14 of her panels before the final appeal judgement (so that only 6 would be left to bring her within the 12 sqm exemption) and the council still sent her a bill for enforcement proceedings. The poor woman had to fight it at the council, appeal and then take her case to An Board Pleanála (although to their credit someone there saw sense and allowed her to keep the panels).

The arguments of the council were ridiculous too - saying that the panels ruined the look of the area (like anyone's looking at people's roofs) and that the glare could impact people (what was she thinking - that people would be flying hot-air balloons over the house or something?).

Here's what the counceller said (source here):

Her application was refused by the council, with the Board siding with the council’s decision on appeal. In her decision, senior planning inspector Mary Kennelly said that the “scale and extent” of the panels would affect the townscape and character of the estate.

She said that the cumulative effect of additional roof slopes being covered by PV panels in the estate would likely “further alter the character” of the estate and result in “visual disharmony and clutter”.

Ms Kennelly added that no alternatives were considered such as free-standing arrays, or any evidence provided that glint and glare would not be “give rise to detriment to residential amenity”.

Northern Ireland's approach where you can cover your roof in PV seems much more sensible, and probably accounts for the much larger uptake of PV there.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,085 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Caspero wrote: »
    Northern IrelandThe rest of the world's approach where you can cover your roof in PV seems much more sensible, and probably accounts for the much larger uptake of PV there.

Fixed your post :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Of the people I know who have installed solar in recent years, none have even considered planning. Nor have they had busy body neighbours who had dull enough lives to care about it. Would look awful regressive of any council chasing residents over this these days, should be made an example of.

And if the Greens push anything less than allowing full roof coverage, well, I'd expect nothing less from the Greens.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

5.1kW system
    16 320W panels
    5kWp hybrid inverter
    4.8kWh batteries
    Eddi hot water heater
    Power cut switch over

9,400 inc vat
    6,400 after grant

What do ye think?

• Advertisement

tails_naf wrote: »
    5.1kW system
    16 320W panels
    5kWp hybrid inverter
    4.8kWh batteries
    Eddi hot water heater
    Power cut switch over

9,400 inc vat
    6,400 after grant

What do ye think?

What make for panels/inverter/battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

5.1kW system
    16 320W panels
    5kWp hybrid inverter
    4.8kWh batteries
    Eddi hot water heater
    Power cut switch over

9,400 inc vat
    6,400 after grant

What do ye think?

Price is not bad at all.

mp3guy wrote: »
    What make for panels/inverter/battery?

Solis inverter, pylontech batteries, and longi or JA panels (both same price).

Any comment on the panel - is there much difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭E30M3

garo wrote: »
    Price is not bad at all.

Sounds like a nice system at a fair price. Is the installer from the 6 counties or the Republic? Two storey or single and single or dual aspect?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭daughy

I understand that wind power in residential areas is not really a viable option but I was intrigued by this upcoming product called a powerpod, the downside of solar is when the sun goes down, and if only to keep batteries charged it might be something to keep an eye on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

5.1kW system
    16 320W panels
    5kWp hybrid inverter
    4.8kWh batteries
    Eddi hot water heater
    Power cut switch over

9,400 inc vat
    6,400 after grant

What do ye think?

Who is your supplier / part of country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Solis inverter, pylontech batteries, and longi or JA panels (both same price).

Any comment on the panel - is there much difference?

Was that the Clover Lads

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

5.1kW system
    16 320W panels
    5kWp hybrid inverter
    4.8kWh batteries
    Eddi hot water heater
    Power cut switch over

9,400 inc vat
    6,400 after grant

What do ye think?
    Not bad though I got similar price including zappi 2 and hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭championc

daughy wrote: »
    I understand that wind power in residential areas is not really a viable option but I was intrigued by this upcoming product called a powerpod, the downside of solar is when the sun goes down, and if only to keep batteries charged it might be something to keep an eye on.

Regarding your post on the old thread, have you got both sets on different separate strings into your inverter ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Looking at early stage quotes for myself...
    8 370W on rear
    8 370W on front
    Blah blah other bits and pieces but my quandary is the battery, I am a two EV household so would eat any battery when charging at night, and I just don’t think it’s financially worth it but I’m foregoing grant money as I’m going above 2kW system.
    Does anyone know the cheapest, minimum sized battery I could install to qualify for the grant?
    Does the battery need to be new?
    Can I not just take it out and sell it after getting grant payment?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Regarding your post on the old thread, have you got both sets on different separate strings into your inverter ?
    Hi champion, yes. The inverter has 2 mmpt ports, so 5 on one string and 5 on the other, the panels facing east do very badly, even though the volts are at approx 190 volts, the panels open circuit are 40 volts each so I don't think the East panels are damaged.
    Its a 1750 east 1750 south array, but the east can be as low as 400 watts at times, i have only connected the system up since August and made just 278kw in generation up till today. Last month was 169, August was 98 but it only came on half way through august. The last 2 days of it made 12.2.
    I noticed with the solis hybrid 5kw undergrid voltage also, as I had 2.5mm cqble from the inverter to the main circuit breaker in the house i had it upgraded to 6mm incase of voltage drop for a 25 meter run, but still noticing as low as 210 volts to the inverter and as max 219,220, has anyone else noticed low voltage?

5.1kW system
    16 320W panels
    5kWp hybrid inverter
    4.8kWh batteries
    Eddi hot water heater
    Power cut switch over

9,400 inc vat
    6,400 after grant

What do ye think?

Looking at your quotes for installs with batteries and eddie diverters etc, it hurts me that I built my system myself as you guys are doing very well for these prices, my system right now that I built myself is a 3.5kw split east/south ground mount array, 5kw hybrid solis, i spent approx 4.5k, the only reason I had to do it myself is an installer told me to get the grant the energy rating of my house needed to be a C.... so I had no choice but to install the system myself.
    Congrats on the quote

slave1 wrote: »
    I am a two EV household so would eat any battery when charging at night

This is not true, if you get the right inverter/charger this is not a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭championc

daughy wrote: »
    Hi champion, yes. The inverter has 2 mmpt ports, so 5 on one string and 5 on the other, the panels facing east do very badly, even though the volts are at approx 190 volts, the panels open circuit are 40 volts each so I don't think the East panels are damaged.
    Its a 1750 east 1750 south array, but the east can be as low as 400 watts at times, i have only connected the system up since August and made just 278kw in generation up till today. Last month was 169, August was 98 but it only came on half way through august. The last 2 days of it made 12.2.
    I noticed with the solis hybrid 5kw undergrid voltage also, as I had 2.5mm cqble from the inverter to the main circuit breaker in the house i had it upgraded to 6mm incase of voltage drop for a 25 meter run, but still noticing as low as 210 volts to the inverter and as max 219,220, has anyone else noticed low voltage?

Your East set will have a very limited timespan to produce I think. What is the 1750 producing in sunshine at 09:00, 10:00 and 11:00. I'm assuming that generation then falls off a cliff at about 14:00 ?

Is the East getting any shading from trees or chimneys, tv aerials etc ?

Great to hear you went the DIY route. That's the way to get to know the system inside out.

E30M3 wrote: »
    Sounds like a nice system at a fair price. Is the installer from the 6 counties or the Republic? Two storey or single and single or dual aspect?

I've two quotes coming in at that price, one from up north (JA panels) and one local form tipperary. Two storey, and mostly south east ish, may put a few on the south west, though less space there.

• Advertisement

MAULBROOK wrote: »
    Was that the Clover Lads

No, haven't gotten onto them yet. Hard to see they will beat it, but you never know!

Does anyone know the cheapest, minimum sized battery I could install to qualify for the grant?

4 dead car batteries. Cost: €0
    Does the battery need to be new?

no

yes

And to save even more money, you could sell the hybrid inverter after getting the grant payment and replace it DIY with a normal inverter. That should net you another several hundred quid

This goes to show how stupid this grant system is. Mind in all of the above you would need to find yourself an SEAI installer, approved for PV installs, to do the above install for you so the grant can be claimed. That won't be easy :D

Your East set will have a very limited timespan to produce I think. What is the 1750 producing in sunshine at 09:00, 10:00 and 11:00. I'm assuming that generation then falls off a cliff at about 14:00 ?

Is the East getting any shading from trees or chimneys, tv aerials etc ?

Great to hear you went the DIY route. That's the way to get to know the system inside out.

Its true the east gets some shading, i have a washing line that until maybe 11am runs a shadow all the way over the east panels, so most likely breaking the circuit. i still have get some tigo optimisers and install them but the company I purchased my system from is having awful issues acquiring them from China with this covid dilemma. Il move the washing line if my wife allows it.
    I'm going to move the south facing string west facing and add 3 more panels to each string totalling
    2.8kw a string, so 5.6kw in totall, I'm just hoping the overall voltage will be OK as the inverter is rated for 600 volts dc input. At 40 volts open circuit and 16 panels, is 640 volts.
    Has anyone had an east west panel setup with something similar?
    I could go 2 strings of 7 panels at 350 Watts each, 2.45kw each, 560 volts total. Just to be safe.. anyone got any suggestions

Also, forgot to mention incase anyone didn't see it, electricity prices are increasing, there won't be any point in selling back to the grid at this stage. Might aswell just divert to a car and or hot water.
    Thats my next install.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I'm considering that. Thinking of a DIY setup instead.

Hadn't considered switching out the inverter mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

unkel wrote: »
    And to save even more money, you could sell the hybrid inverter after getting the grant payment and replace it DIY with a normal inverter. That should net you another several hundred quid

Can you have 2 separate inverters and 2 storage systems?

I currently have 6.2kwp and a Solis hybrid inverter. But I could potentially (way down the line) add another 6.2kwp with DIY battery storage via ex EV batteries.

Can I add them separately to the existing system? Can the house run via power from 2 separate inverters? Or would I need to roll all 40 panels through the same system?

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Can you have 2 separate inverters and 2 storage systems?

I currently have 6.2kwp and a Solis hybrid inverter. But I could potentially (way down the line) add another 6.2kwp with DIY battery storage via ex EV batteries.

Can I add them separately to the existing system? Can the house run via power from 2 separate inverters? Or would I need to roll all 40 panels through the same system?

I was thinking along those lines also, you would need another hybrid inverter.
    Two lines shouldn't be a problem to the circuit board, to separate circuit breakers etc. Can you have over 12kwp allowed by the esb? I'm not sure, i thought the limit was 6kwp.
    You would need if going to the breaker 4 cables, one inverter production and backup, second inverter the same. Would it be possible if allowed to get a 12kw hybrid with your future system with 4 inputs strings? Not sure if it exists?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

4 dead car batteries. Cost: €0

Flooded Lead acid dont qualify for the grant, Gel Lead acid does

I wonder can i get anything out of the dead tractor batteries i have lying about, I think there is 4 in one shed and one waiting to go into a tractor before the winter....

Or they could be completely wrecked lol

graememk wrote: »
    Flooded Lead acid dont qualify for the grant, Gel Lead acid does

Any link to that? I haven't seen that distinction before. But anyway I recently sold high end AGM lead acid batteries for €62.50 each, so 4 of them for €250 will do for a near 5kWh system

• Advertisement

Any link to that? I haven't seen that distinction before. But anyway I recently sold high end AGM lead acid batteries for €62.50 each, so 4 of them for €250 will do for a near 5kWh system

Page 14 https://www.seai.ie/publications/Code-of-Practice-Solar-PV-Grant.pdf

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement