Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭championc

garo wrote: »
    PV inverters clip excess input so if your inverter is rated 6kW and the panels are generating 6.5, the .5 just gets lost. No big deal and totally normal.

But you could be heading for exceeding the max input voltage. Input voltages shoot up in cold weather (cloudless frosty winter days)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,085 ✭✭✭✭unkel

championc wrote: »
    But you could be heading for exceeding the max input voltage. Input voltages shoot up in cold weather (cloudless frosty winter days)

I know that applies to your inverter, but for most inverters this limit is really high. I have a very commonly used Solis inverter, it's 3.6kW max output and the max input voltage is 600V, that's like 18-19 panels (or near enough 6kwp)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Apologies, but can anybody confirm the query of a 6kw maximum per household?

The installer says its 6.5kw but others here have said 6kw.

Anyone have a link to the answer? And is this a legal limit, a grant limit or a planning limit?

What inverter was the installer suggesting of using? Not many would be 6.5kW, more likely 6kW. In which case you are within the ESB limit of 6kW (even if you have say 7kwp in panels)

unkel wrote: »
    What inverter was the installer suggesting of using?
    It's a 5kw Solis Hybrid inverter.

https://zerohomebills.com/product/solis-rhi-5k-48es-5kw-solar-hybrid-inverter/

the ESB limit of 6kW (even if you have say 7kwp in panels)
    That was what I was curious about, who sets this limit. I'm looking at 6.2kw in panels but I wasn't sure what the point of that ESB limit is, and whether exceeding that would raise any eyebrows with the SEAI or the council.

If the 6kw limit is on what I'm allowed to generate rather than what I'm allowed to install in terms of panels, then I'm fine.

• Advertisement

You're fine with a 5kW inverter so! No matter how many panels you get installed.

You're fine with a 5kW inverter so! No matter how many panels you get installed.

Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭phester28

Just a quick question about roof penetration for an East West split.
    I have vents on one side and it was mentioned to bring cables up and over the top of the roof and bring both sides through the vent.

I would have thought through the fasia and soffets on each side would be more correct

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Renewable Energy Support Scheme.
    MY question is, What's in it for us Solar PVers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

phester28 wrote: »
    Just a quick question about roof penetration for an East West split.
    I have vents on one side and it was mentioned to bring cables up and over the top of the roof and bring both sides through the vent.

I would have thought through the fasia and soffets on each side would be more correct

I got different ideas from different installers on this. One wanted to use a special waterproof passage within a tile (not vent) another wanted to go through the edge tiles and then use soffits and fascia, the third - which I went with for other reasons - brought them over the top of the roof. I wasn't crazy about that solution but they didn't tell me exactly what they were going to do before they did it. It was a case of don't worry we will handle it.

The first company actually had the best suggestion to take the cables from one side and run them under the converted attic floor to bring the two sets of cables together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭irishchris

Looking at getting a 2.4kw system in shortly and have site visit tomorrow but would ideally prefer not to have inverter in attic. Have hipped roof so no gable and attic area is very small and gets excessively hot in summer. Utility which would be 15-20 metres from panels would be ideal location. Is there any issue with this and have any of you done similar. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2 aaronsola

a 6.5kW installed capacity in general terms is 5.4-5.7kWh NET production due to the losses in your system. So a 6kW PV inverter is perfectly fine, you do not need to worry about it. The loses are due to the resistance of the components and the efficiency of your inverter. Depending what type of components you use you will ALWAYS have between 15-20% loss versus the installed solar panel capacity!

Just saw a production of 3750W coming out of my 3.6kW inverter. Not complaining :D

aaronsola wrote: »
    Depending what type of components you use you will ALWAYS have between 15-20% loss versus the installed solar panel capacity!

I disagree, I can do better. The trick is don't convert to AC.

Install is happening on Tuesday & Wednesday next week. 6.2kw total, half on the South facing garage, half on the west facing back of the house.

Zappi 2 also.

No water diverter, but I've got a wifi enabled immersion switch ordered so I can kinda manually divert if it happens to be a scorching day and I'm generating more than I'm using.

€50 for the switch beats the pants off €500 for an Eddi.

Any link to that switch?

Also my tumble dryer is clinging to life by a thread and has been for a while. So when I replace it I'll be getting one with smart control so I can turn it on remotely too.

DrPhilG wrote: »

Note that the difference between this switch and iBoost/Eddi is that the switch is On/Off whereas the diverters only direct excess so can modulate amount of power going to your immersion. Still something is better than nothing. And you could set up some IFTTT rules if so inclined.

Note that the difference between this switch and iBoost/Eddi is that the switch is On/Off whereas the diverters only direct excess so can modulate amount of power going to your immersion. Still something is better than nothing. And you could set up some IFTTT rules if so inclined.

Oh yeah I know it's nowhere near as complete a solution as an Eddi etc, but it's a tenth of the price so better than nothing.

When I told me wife I was getting it (she's not amused at the loss of the Eddi) she said "why haven't we had this for years"?

We have very sparingly used the immersion over the years, partly because it's expensive, partly because we usually have hot water anyway due to the oil use, and partly because we're wary of forgetting to turn it off again (done this a few times).

So the option for a short boost if we're leaving work and she wants a bath etc is great, plus if monitoring apps etc helps a little with managing excess, even better.

• Advertisement

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Also my tumble dryer is clinging to life by a thread and has been for a while. So when I replace it I'll be getting one with smart control so I can turn it on remotely too.

Perhaps not, such a thing seems to be damn near impossible.

Most smart enabled washers and dryers aren't smart at all. They just let you connect via NFC to check status. Only a few let you actually connect via WiFi and remotely activate a cycle.

It makes sense to get one if you have a 6kwp system like DrPhilG. Just switch it on on a blue sky day where you are likely to produce well over 3kW in excess of what you are using for hours on end. Send 15kWh to your immersion like that. Worth €0.75. Do this on 15 days a year and the thing pays for itself after 4-5 years :D

In other words it doesn't really makes much sense but it's an interesting gadget for anyone who considers this renewables business their hobby :p

I put a sneaky €50 bid in for an iBoost on eBay the other day, obviously lost the auction but might do so again, but wouldn't pay much more than that and I will fit DIY. All for the craic of course :p

Oh yes I agree it makes sense for someone who has oil/gas heating. I have been a manual "smart" switch for my immersion this summer as I have worked from home and have dumped 250kWh excess PV into the hot water cylinder. Of course I am only a little bit smart so sometimes I ended up drawing a few hundred watts from the grid but it is still cheaper than gas especially as my boiler is old and ~78% efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭phester28

Just a quick question.

I got the panels mounted as part of the install. Electrical to follow.

But I was told I was getting amerisolar panels. The panels that they have brought have passivehousesystem.ie branding as if the company are rebranding them themselves.

I have a serial number as it is behind the glass also on the frame and on the back. the format of the serial is: 998819071500070916. I have it from the company (family friend) that said they only buy amerisolar and he sent me a pic of a pallet of as-6m30-300W Black. But Ive no way of verifying. Amerisolar were no help saying ask the company. I could just be worrying over nothing

Can anyone shed any light on this. Even Amerisolar serial number format would verify the manufacturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Geeyfds53573

Hi,

I am still researching the market but can’t seem to decide so need you guys to help once more.

I have one goodish side on my roof SE125
    but chimney and dormer will cause some shading after lunchtime on a good day. The bad side NW305 also some shading from 20:00 onwards.

What do you think would be the best solution and most price efficient. Any innovative solutions or advice please.

Put as many panels on both sides of roof, two arrays. (8-9 each side 310kw) cheaper panels more of them, more production spread out, more labour and take the loss on the shading.

Optimizers - only needed on panels that might get the shading? Are they worth it? As in goodish side only might be worth it?

SolarEdge looks interesting but sadly can’t get much info or prices anyone know who installs it? And costs in comparison to optimizers?

or could a solution like putting two small arrays most powerful panels I can get (400w expensive panels) on goodish roof one array near the chimney and dormer, inverter will take 2 arrays (4 -5 each) so one array at edge will get sun for maybe two hrs longer. Battery comes into play then.

Choices really are 4kw optimised on goodish side expensive equipment (panels optimizers) or cheaper panels both sides 5.5kw not optimised and take losses.

Both sides optimised would be expensive and NW bad output so not worth it. Maybe do this scrap battery.

Maybe someone is kind enough to run the simulation and tell me that the NW305 is worth considering?

Forgetting about usage of household just based on a combination of power and spend which option would win out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

Hey Guys, any opinions on JASolar 340w panels? had someone advise against.

Hi,

I am still researching the market but can’t seem to decide so need you guys to help once more.

I have one goodish side on my roof SE125
    but chimney and dormer will cause some shading after lunchtime on a good day. The bad side NW305 also some shading from 20:00 onwards.

What do you think would be the best solution and most price efficient. Any innovative solutions or advice please.

Put as many panels on both sides of roof, two arrays. (8-9 each side 310kw) cheaper panels more of them, more production spread out, more labour and take the loss on the shading.

Optimizers - only needed on panels that might get the shading? Are they worth it? As in goodish side only might be worth it?

SolarEdge looks interesting but sadly can’t get much info or prices anyone know who installs it? And costs in comparison to optimizers?

or could a solution like putting two small arrays most powerful panels I can get (400w expensive panels) on goodish roof one array near the chimney and dormer, inverter will take 2 arrays (4 -5 each) so one array at edge will get sun for maybe two hrs longer. Battery comes into play then.

Choices really are 4kw optimised on goodish side expensive equipment (panels optimizers) or cheaper panels both sides 5.5kw not optimised and take losses.

Both sides optimised would be expensive and NW bad output so not worth it. Maybe do this scrap battery.

Maybe someone is kind enough to run the simulation and tell me that the NW305 is worth considering?

Forgetting about usage of household just based on a combination of power and spend which option would win out?

If I were you I would go for panels both sides and only get optimisers on the SE side. Shading after 20:00 will have such a small impact on production it is not worth the optimisers. Optimisers will make a big difference on your good side production. Also note that the higher rated panels are usually larger so you may not be able to fit the same amount as the smaller less powerful panels.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Geeyfds53573

Thank you Sir - decision made so - Do I need them on each panel or just affected ones? And what would the additional cost be? Any idea if microinverters would be an option?
    If I were you I would go for panels both sides and only get optimisers on the SE side. Shading after 20:00 will have such a small impact on production it is not worth the optimisers. Optimisers will make a big difference on your good side production. Also note that the higher rated panels are usually larger so you may not be able to fit the same amount as the smaller less powerful panels.

Thank you Sir - decision made so - Do I need them on each panel or just affected ones? And what would the additional cost be? Any idea if microinverters would be an option?

Just the affected ones is fine. Cost is ~50 euro per panel. Unkel here bought them off eBay for 30 I think. Tigo is a popular brand.

Here is a good explainer: https://www.solarquotes.com.au/blog/solar-panel-optimisation/

Micro-inverters would mean you need a AC-coupled battery as you won't be needing a hybrid inverter at all. But you will probably find this the msot expensive solution.

• Advertisement

Micro inverters on your roof is a bad idea. Every time one pops you would have to go back up on the roof.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement