Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

could vettel go to formula e

I wanted to say some break and then DTM but this seems unlikely. (Not from his side)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Isn't DTM in trouble financially?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Sheeps wrote: »

Audi are pulling out, so there's only one manufacturer left.

Sheeps wrote: »

2 out of 3 manufacturers left and the new DTM was never built for privateers. So in case no miracle happens it's game over after this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

There is always Truck Racing, I assume it is still popular in Germany?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭g1983d

There is always Truck Racing, I assume it is still popular in Germany?

Used to love that in Eurosport back in the day

• Registered Users Posts: 15,643 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

There is rumours now that Renault are looking at Bottas to fill the seat. Maybe he would be happier there than at Mercedes but it would be a step down for him. So would Ocan be no.1 at Renault then or Bottas?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

AMKC wrote: »
    There is rumours now that Renault are looking at Bottas to fill the seat. Maybe he would be happier there than at Mercedes but it would be a step down for him. So would Ocan be no.1 at Renault then or Bottas?

I seriously doubt a midfield team can afford to have a #1 and #2 policy...they need to go the "grab anything you can as long as you don't knock one another out!" way by default...and the last part might not be a given when you got Ocon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,998 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    I seriously doubt a midfield team can afford to have a #1 and #2 policy...they need to go the "grab anything you can as long as you don't knock one another out!" way by default...and the last part might not be a given when you got Ocon :D

Yeah they might have a policy about which driver gets the new aero part when they only have one between the two drivers. But they don't have full #1 #2 drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,238 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Bottas would be probably like Ricciardo. Pocket the money and remain in the midfield.

Wonder if Merc actually ARE interested in Vettel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭g1983d

All talk until now has been who will merc put in the seat, would force the hand of merc a bit to nail their colours to the mast if he did leave them instead.
    They would have to go with an ex WDC like alonso or vettel if they say they want the best drivers or else someone like ocon if they want hamilton as a no1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

pjohnson wrote: »
    Wonder if Merc actually ARE interested in Vettel?
    I'm hoping they'll give it to George Russel. Let Hamilton be his mentor before he retires.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Renault looking for a 5 Billion loan from the French authorities.
    Le Maire said Renault's French plant in Flins must not close and the company should be able to keep as many jobs as possible in France, but also said it needed to adapt and be competitive.

Can't see how you can justify the expense of Formula 1 when you have no customers for your engines and little return on the investment?

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0522/1140017-renault-and-nissan-in-jobs-warning/

Ms

Top Dog wrote: »
    Renault looking for a 5 Billion loan from the French authorities.

Can't see how you can justify the expense of Formula 1 when you have no customers for your engines and little return on the investment?

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0522/1140017-renault-and-nissan-in-jobs-warning/

I have said a few times in this tread that Renault could yet pull out of F1 but it would be great of they did not have too. I seems to be a thing with Renault do. Get into F1 for a while do ok then pull out.Then some 5 or 10 years later get back in do great win the drivers and constructors title twice in a row then pull out again. Then come back again etc. I think it will even be hard to find anyone to sell it too now like they did at the end of 2009 to Genii Capital because this pandemic we are currently is is far worse then the crash back then and has effected the whole world.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,277 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Ricciardo was best out of there by the sounds of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Makes a mooted Alonso / Renault connection seem more like a cynical commercial ploy - get Liberty to pay half the salary, get more coverage, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭flazio

At this stage, the only seat at Renault that Alonso should occupy is Cyril Abiteboul's seat.
    That man is doing a lot of damage to that team and its reputation.

flazio wrote: »
    At this stage, the only seat at Renault that Alonso should occupy is Cyril Abiteboul's seat.
    That man is doing a lot of damage to that team and its reputation.

Apparently there are rumours of eric boullier going back to Renault. Missed Apex asked Joe Saward and he said he haadn't heard it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,277 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Cant stand that man.
    I thought he was running the french GP now.

Ms

Mclaren to axe 1200 jobs and they say it is because of the Formula cost cap and the Covid-19 pandemic.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

Mclaren to axe 1200 jobs and they say it is because of the Formula cost cap and the Covid-19 pandemic.

Furloughing or gone permanently?

That's a lot of staff. Like, is mclaren going bust?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,206 ✭✭✭ongarite

70 from F1 staff, rest from Automotive & technology divisions.

The cost cap means this is just the start of big layoffs from F1 teams.

ongarite wrote: »
    70 from F1 staff, rest from Automotive & technology divisions.

The cost cap means this is just the start of big layoffs from F1 teams.

Ah OK. The 70 f1 staff I wouldn't worry too much about. Unfortunate for those individuals, of course. But the cost cap is necessary. Ferrari, Red Bull and Mercedes will need to lay off staff too. That's probably it though. The rest were always operating under or around the cost cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭barryribs

Ah OK. The 70 f1 staff I wouldn't worry too much about. Unfortunate for those individuals, of course. But the cost cap is necessary. Ferrari, Red Bull and Mercedes will need to lay off staff too. That's probably it though. The rest were always operating under or around the cost cap.

The only reason they are laying off staff is that they are not making money. Cost caps are myth. Staff will just move from Scuderia Ferrari to Ferrari. Whats to stop Mercedes investing in R&D for an energy recovery unit under the guise of using it in another series?

barryribs wrote: »
    The only reason they are laying off staff is that they are not making money. Cost caps are myth. Staff will just move from Scuderia Ferrari to Ferrari. Whats to stop Mercedes investing in R&D for an energy recovery unit under the guise of using it in another series?

Very little to stop them doing that. There will be some oversight but there won't be very much. It will prevent them growing and will force them to lay off some staff. It's necessary though. It was silly with the top three being the only only ones being in contention for a win.

I suspect ferrari will need a bit more leeway with the laws. They're such a bad value for money team that they would likely struggle on a level playing field.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I was anticipating this with a long while, wonder will it go through?

Mick Schumacher tipped to replace Kimi at Alfa.

vectra wrote: »
    I was anticipating this with a long while, wonder will it go through?

Mick Schumacher tipped to replace Kimi at Alfa.

Depends on his F2 season and if Kimi retires. So far he has one win, not good enough to be promoted to F1, without Schumacher in his name he would be no where.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Harika wrote: »
    Depends on his F2 season and if Kimi retires. So far he has one win, not good enough to be promoted to F1, without Schumacher in his name he would be no where.

I absolutely agree with you on that one.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,238 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Harika wrote: »

Well Lando only had one win in his F2 career tbf. Not everyone needs to be an F2 champ to get to F1.

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    Well Lando only had one win in his F2 career tbf. Not everyone needs to be an F2 champ to get to F1.

Lando was second in the championship in his first full season, Mick 11th.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement