Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,017 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

AMKC wrote: »
    This could be the end of F1 as we know it. Maybe they might have to re-brand and rename for next year.

Every sport and business will be affected. They can't all rebrand or we won't know what's what!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Longing

Earliest F1 2020 season start has June marked down.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Bahrain behind closed doors is still on isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Bahrain and Vietnam are off according to the Guardian and several journos at the track

• Registered Users Posts: 23,262 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

flazio wrote: »
    Bahrain behind closed doors is still on isn't it?

For now but McLaren attendance is in doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Harika

Teams agree to place race staff in quarantine until March 29. Cancelled GPs could be held during summer break. If necessary the season could be even extended to 2021. Next generation F1 cars might be postponed to 2022 in that case.

Harika wrote: »

When all this is over there will be tremendous effort to reschedule things later in the year. Vietnam is a street race so it would cause disruption to the city, hit might also be worth a lot of revenue.

It’ll be interesting to see what gets rescheduled and what doesn’t. I imagine there will be great competition to get events rescheduled but not enough time to reschedule everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

Season expected to start at the end of May, i.e. they really, really don't want to lose Monaco. Even this looks wildly optimistic, if China can't hold its race 3 months after its outbreak started, how could Monaco hold its race in 10 weeks time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

This year's F1 game is going to be weird. Maybe Codies could re-badge the cancelled races as "classic content" like in 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

It makes sense to cancel it. Personally I was looking forward to getting stuck into it this weekend as a distraction.

But it would've been wildly irresponsible to host it.

Zandvoort next to be delayed, cancelled whatever
    Baku looking really as optimistic starting point for the season

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭Inviere

the season could be even extended to 2021. Next generation F1 cars might be postponed to 2022 in that case.

I'd hate that. Just condense whatever time is left, re-jig the points system to suit a shorter calendar if needed, and let next season begin when it's supposed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

There could be an opportunity to stack the races based geographic location. No point in going to Europe, then Canada, and back to Europe, etc. They may need to cut out the initial Asia races from the season, or put the Asian section at the end with Japan. I know we're well away from that type of planning but it's just a thought.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,730 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

This year's F1 game is going to be weird. Maybe Codies could re-badge the cancelled races as "classic content" like in 2013.
    Have the 'Cancelled' special edition and the 'Postponed' collector's edition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Luimneach2018

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Have the 'Cancelled' special edition and the 'Postponed' collector's edition.

Ah here, don't be giving them ideas!:P

I know it's not quite the same but I remember Estoril being playable on Formula 1 '97 on Playstation even though the GP was cancelled that season.

And if you changed your name to 'Billy Bonus' you unlocked mirror images of the Adelaide and Aida circuits (the names were reversed to Edialeda and Adia)

I think it also unlocked a 1960's version of Silverstone (it was the normal 1997 track, not the 1960's version, but it was in black and white and the cars were 60's cigar style) and a track shaped like an F1 car.

I loved that feckin' game!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭kksaints

Ah here, don't be giving them ideas!:P

I know it's not quite the same but I remember Estoril being playable on Formula 1 '97 on Playstation even though the GP was cancelled that season.

And if you changed your name to 'Billy Bonus' you unlocked mirror images of the Adelaide and Aida circuits (the names were reversed to Edialeda and Adia)

I think it also unlocked a 1960's version of Silverstone (it was the normal 1997 track, not the 1960's version, but it was in black and white and the cars were 60's cigar style) and a track shaped like an F1 car.

I loved that feckin' game!

First Ps1 game I owned. Legendary game, I spent a ridiculous number of hours on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Cancel all the races. Have one race in Spa before the end of the year. Winner takes it all.

Could you image.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,623 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

We need a minimum of 8 races to constitute a World Championship so we can afford to lose a few and still get a champion at the end of it. Assuming the world doesn't totally fall to pieces over the next few months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

skipper_G wrote: »
    We need a minimum of 8 races to constitute a World Championship

Make it the "power" tracks and Ferrari could end their drought :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,455 ✭✭✭✭elperello

skipper_G wrote: »
    We need a minimum of 8 races to constitute a World Championship so we can afford to lose a few and still get a champion at the end of it. Assuming the world doesn't totally fall to pieces over the next few months

Which eight would you chose?

elperello wrote: »

From the acutal calendar

Melbourne
    Canada
    Silverstone
    Japan
    Mexico
    Brasil
    Singapore
    Spa

From the acutal calendar

Melbourne
    Canada
    Silverstone
    Japan
    Mexico
    Brasil
    Singapore
    Spa

The rest are good choices, but Melbourne?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,623 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

elperello wrote: »

Great question, In the order they were originally scheduled I'd have: Azerbaijan, Canada, Austria, Britain, Belgium, Singapore, Japan and Brazil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Just give Mercedes the championship.. they were gonna walk it anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,344 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The 1st 4 races of the season being cancelled does indicate that F1 will experience an overwhelmingly difficult period in where they have their fans that the whole competition is in jeopardy. I have come to a realistic conclusion that F1 has effectively been ruined this year by Coronavirus. The FIA & FOM have told their fans recently through their website that the season, which is due by their word, by the end of May is constantly been put under review.

If the FIA & FOM do not see any sizeable reduction in the number of confirmed cases for Coronavirus. What will happen next IMO?

Do they cancel even more races for everyone to reduce further spread of the virus to the wider community of fans?

Will they make decisions about what will happen to the new generation F1 cars for next year. Will they have their release delayed by a year?

If governments in affected countries are already implementing stringent rules on banning people from other foreign countries that are knowingly the hardest hit countries for now until the spread is officially over. Do you think these types of restrictions will extend to even more European countries, as the majority of the calendar is taking place there, as we head into the summer?

When do you think those types of restrictions will officially end for them? Where will that leave the sport in future?

The UK, in where the majority of the factories are based as it's the original birthplace of F1, has now officially hit close to 800 cases of Coronavirus as of this evening. As that figure could increase quite rapidly; could the factories in that instance have the authority to continue on as normal? If any of the staff in the F1 teams get hit with Coronavirus either on the way back from Australia to the UK or in their other home countries. They could actually not take part in future races in the calendar at all which could put the sport into further trouble into the rest of the year & beyond until they get fully cleared from the virus.

Some of you may think that I might sound completely crazy while I am writing up this post.

But I am very happy to wait it out for a year or more if Coronavirus has the potential to bring mass misery to F1 for this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,262 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Everyone could have DAS set up for their cars by the season opener.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The DAS car might never turn a wheel in anger if the season is cancelled.
    Imagine the fastest most developed cars designed for this generation of f1 rules might never be raced.

• Advertisement

The rest are good choices, but Melbourne?

To maximize the continents raced on. 5 of 7 only Antarctica and Africa missing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement