Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

pjohnson wrote: »
    If this is right I see it going like USA 2005

It's a game of political chicken. Liberty Media will have to refund Australia if they cancel. Rumour is that Liberty has insurance that covers the teams pulling out. If Melbourne/Australia cancel then they have to pay the bills.

There is currently a 2 seater Minardi doing laps of the track. Marshals and other staff are in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Sky sports confirmed it is postponed this evening after a meeting of team principles.

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/11956439/f1s-australian-gp-to-be-cancelled-after-coronavirus-case

Sky sports confirmed it is postponed this evening after a meeting of team principles.

They have since deleted that I believe. Adam Cooper F1 says fans are being admitted to the track, everyone preparing as usual.

Maybe they haven't deleted it as seen in your edit, maybe it was a tweet they deleted.

Chris Medland says there are rumours the race will be cancelled but it is currently going ahead.

GarIT wrote: »
    They have since deleted that I believe. Adam Cooper F1 says fans are being admitted to the track, everyone preparing as usual.

Maybe they haven't deleted it as seen in your edit, maybe it was a tweet they deleted.

I know there are support races like V8 supercars which are still going ahead I believe. Looking at the V8 supercars teams on social media, it looks like they are ploughing on. Pity sky wouldn't show that instead. Some good elbows it racing.

Numerous sources saying it's going ahead, one or two saying the F1 teams are arriving as usual.

Alfa Tauri mechanic has said they they are expecting confirmation either way in 30 mins, has been told to be prepared to start dismantaling but also to continue to set up at the moment.

Max Verstappens head mechanic is at the track to work and has said he has no idea what is happening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

This is nuts, such a typical F1 way of handling a crises :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

Latest rumours
    Team's voted 5:5 so race will go ahead
    Hamilton, Vettel and raikonnen on the way home

BBC journalist are saying they can confirm Vettel and Raikkonen have already left Australia. Legally the race cannot be easily cancelled, verbally it has been cancelled.

https://clyp.it/aehvd2ep

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭BikeRacer

They've delayed opening the gates so fans are just waiting in limbo. 3 hours to FP1 and they've no idea what's going on. What a sh1tshow.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

That priest in father Ted kicking a hole in the door and shouting "cowboys teds, cowboys" comes to mind.

• Advertisement

Alfa Romeo, Haas, Racing Point, Williams, AlphaTauri, Red Bull are at the track preparing for FP1, unknown where the rest are.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,185 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Raikkonen and Vettel are confirmed to have left Australia and rumours Hamilton has aswell.

Report from curfew - only 6 teams showed up and entered paddock. No
    @McLarenF1
    of course but
    @ScuderiaFerrari
    @MercedesAMGF1
    and
    @RenaultF1Team
    absent

Race goes on, no spectators ... Well played

Permier of Victoria Daniel Andrews says he gave the Grand Prix organisers the choice of a race without fans or no race but they haven't told the hundreds if not thousands of fans queuing outside now.

Harika wrote: »
    Race goes on, no spectators ... Well played

If it does we have two if not three drivers halfway to Abu Dhabi for their connecting flight. They wont get back before the end of FP2.

There are reports that Diamler, the owner of Mercedes, has decided Mercedes are not permitted to race regardless of circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Killinator

It's embarrassing at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,575 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

GarIT wrote: »
    Permier of Victoria Daniel Andrews says he gave the Grand Prix organisers the choice of a race without fans or no race but they haven't told the hundreds if not thousands of fans queuing outside now.

Going to be an awful lot of very annoyed fans but its the right thing to do.

As for the small teams racing they are there now so you can't blame them. They might get some points.

Anyone here the joke about the British,

the Italian,

the German,

and the French

Cars.

No me either. I just wanted to but that there as that is where them 4 teams are from but 3 have bases in the U.K.

Just saying they are the big teams they can afford to miss races maybe the small teams can not.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭BikeRacer

Andrew Benson/BBC just gave an update saying the race is called off, even if the organisers aren't admitting it. Farcical stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 19,967 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Killinator wrote: »
    It's embarrassing at this stage!

Well, it is and it isn't. It's not liberty media's job to worry about the spread of the virus. It's their job to make money. And presumably there is some legal brinkmanship in the background. Whoever blinks first, loses a lot of money. I don't expect to ever know the internal workings of the legal process.
    I'll just go to sleep and see what's happened in the morning.

They all look stupid from our perspective right now, but not as stupid as they'd look when they'd have to go explain to their boss why they lost millions by not just holding out until the last minute.

• Advertisement
    Ms

Are Netfliks recording all this? Going to make for an interesting if boring start to the season and that is only if F1 even gets a season this year. I think thy will be doing well to get 10 races this year.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

AMKC wrote: »
    Are Netfliks recording all this? Going to make for an interesting if boring start to the season and that is only if F1 even gets a season this year. I think thy will be doing well to get 10 races this year.

I don't know about that. This sh1tshow is about 4 episodes worth

Ms

This could be the end of F1 as we know it. Maybe they might have to re-brand and rename for next year.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

Well i think they handled that well. Good night to you all and God bless!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,650 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

This could be the end of F1 as we know it. Maybe they might have to re-brand and rename for next year.
    I don't think so.

Ms

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    I don't think so.

That's good so. It could be 3 months before the season starts.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

At least it's good to see that people aren't over reacting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,650 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

It could be. Nobody knows what's going to happen next so we'll just have to play the waiting game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

We have no idea what will happen as these are unprecedented events. To claim it could end F1 as we know it seems like a massive over reaction. Would you say the same for all the other sporting events that have been impacted?

• Advertisement

I think if Bahrain goes ahead, the cars that show up in Europe or Canada or wherever the next race is, will be very different. 3 months to develop the car without having to go to races is a lot.

Looking at the calendar, I'd say Azerbaijan may be next. Hard to think Netherlands and Spain will go ahead.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement