Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Joined, good luck all!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Last year's winning team, not the picking structure I have gone for here though, all though I would say Albon's promotion to the main Red Bull team would have made him a key pick the way last season panned out, and Gasly a bad pick for the same reason:

image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,966 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Inquitus wrote: »
    Personally, no I don't, I think its massively irresponsible. F1 brings together fans from all over the world, in a way that most sports do not, as well as having teams based across Europe and the US.

I completely agree. IF we why to stop the spread then this should be completely obvious. IF we're content for the 2%death rate to be part of the cost of doing business, then it should go ahead as planned.

IF anyone doesn't know whether it should go ahead it not then they're not taking the question seriously enough.

I think we're all going to wait until it becomes a big problem before we take it seriously. Both China and Italy had huge problems before they took drastic action.

I think f1, being a globe-trotting sport, should be first on the chopping block. Long before domestic sports (but obviously they should be stopped too).

But the race is going ahead without serious questions bring asked. So I think mist people just accept the virus will spread and people will die.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

pjohnson wrote: »
    Sk5ecIB.jpg
    FWP8eqO.jpg

2020 Renault

New title sponsor as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/red-bull-mercedes-tech-ruling/4739854/

Red Bulls complaint about Mercs rear brake ducts seems to have worked, they have to change them for this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

eljono wrote: »
    I started one with a couple of friends, whoever would like to is welcome to join:

https://fantasy.formula1.com/leagues
    League Name: Formula 17
    League Code: 1f5bc3f152

Thanks for that. Joined. Good luck to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,649 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

More photos of the Renault:

Renault-R-S-20-F1-Auto-2020-169FullWidth-37193933-1678196.jpg

Renault-R-S-20-F1-Auto-2020-169FullWidth-ddd0fb73-1678195.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭flazio

A bigger percent of the world population are dying by their own hand, either by suicide or by euthanasia. It's very serious and very contagious but to just fall short of accusing Liberty Media of involuntary manslaughter is going overboard.

flazio wrote: »
    A bigger percent of the world population are dying by their own hand, either by suicide or by euthanasia. It's very serious and very contagious but to just fall short of accusing Liberty Media of involuntary manslaughter is going overboard.

Sure. And I didn't suggest it's involuntary manslaughter. It's just a case of people having already accepted tat the virus will spread and kill lots of people (at about the rate of 2% of those infected). If people want to stop the spread of the virus, the next steps would obviously be to stop international sports events like f1.

The fact that people aren't thinking like that tells you they've accepted the spread of the virus (and the associated death rate) in exchange for entertainment, like f1 going ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭vectra

eljono wrote: »
    I started one with a couple of friends, whoever would like to is welcome to join:

https://fantasy.formula1.com/leagues
    League Name: Formula 17
    League Code: 1f5bc3f152

In :)
    astrofluff wrote: »
    Join Boardsies 2020, my F1 Predictor league on @Superbru! You can find my pool here:

https://www.superbru.com/f1/pool.php?p=12232196

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,068 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

NBA season in the US has been cancelled. Can't see there being seen F1 season this year at this rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Hamilton has recommended the race be cancelled and we all know he usually gets whatever he wants :P

Rumours in Grand Prix 247 are that the race will be cancelled if anyone tests positive, two more Hass team members quarantined overnight. Serious discussions are being had about turning fans away if not cancelling races.

GarIT wrote: »
    Hamilton has recommended the race be cancelled and we all know he usually gets whatever he wants :P

Rumours in Grand Prix 247 are that the race will be cancelled if anyone tests positive, two more Hass team members quarantined overnight. Serious discussions are being had about turning fans away if not cancelling races.

He's right. When we do reviews of the reaction to the virus, we'll be amazed at how dopey all the governments were and how piecemeal the response was.

But ultimately people aren't thinking in a way that would stop the virus. If they were, they'd be organising a coordinated global lock down.

This race might go ahead being closed doors because they're all there already. But the rest of the season has to be cancelled. I mean, Vietnam is still on the calendar in 3 weeks lol. It's total fantasy that they will be able to go to Vietnam in 3 weeks when you consider the rate of change o er the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,183 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Kimi has also expressed doubt over it going ahead. Daniel wants to race, Sebastian is trusting the FIA to act correctly (whatever that means) and Nicholas wants to listen to the health professionals.

Kimi has also expressed doubt over it going ahead. Daniel wants to race, Sebastian is trusting the FIA to act correctly (whatever that means) and Nicholas wants to listen to the health professionals.

Kimi being honest, Daniel listening to his home GP organisers, Seb and Nicholas trying to not rock the boat.

I dont actually see it going ahead if I'm honest.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,426 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I think it the aus race has to go ahead now. Everyone is there. However, they may do it behind closed doors. I honestly cant see them doing the next few races. They are all in areas that have a bit of an outbreak!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,574 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I think F1 just wanted and I would say hoped they could at least go ahead with the first race. How bad would it or will it be for all the F1 teams and F1 itself if this season does not go ahead?
    They are in Australia now, maybe they should have cancelled it but did not so they might has well do this race even if that means behind closed doors. Its not like the drivers hear any of the fans in the stands or even notice them when they are driving anyway.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

antodeco wrote: »
    I think it the aus race has to go ahead now. Everyone is there. However, they may do it behind closed doors. I honestly cant see them doing the next few races. They are all in areas that have a bit of an outbreak!

The 4 corners of the world have it in one form or another now

Its over.

McLaren have withdrawn from Australian Grand Prix. Brawn said no races will go ahead without all 10 teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

namloc1980 wrote: »
    NBA season in the US has been cancelled. Can't see there being seen F1 season this year at this rate.

The NBA season was suspended, not "cancelled", there's a huge difference. At the same rate, "cancelling" the F1 season now would be extremely dumb, while "suspending" would be the right thing to do as it would leave room for a shortened season should the situation change between now and say June-July.

For both the doomsayers who go "it's gonna take years" and the head-in-the-sand "shur, it's gonna go away in the spring", the only truth is that we don't know, it can go either way or - probably - somewhere in between these scenarios.

The pressing issue with the beginning of the season is that the first few races, Bahrain aside, are happening in areas which to one level or another are a bit ahead in the efforts to contain the contagion - these events realistically risk to re-ignite the spread.

As for Australia, it's the classic catch-22: they're traveled there already, possibly spreading the virus. Canceling the race now would be a double whammy, the damage is done already. Probably the sensible option would be to race behind closed doors. From Bahrain on, well, time to reconsider - and there's not a single hope in hell Vietnam should go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

Its over.

McLaren have withdrawn from Australian Grand Prix. Brawn said no races will go ahead without all 10 teams.

Different, Brawn's comments were based on teams not allowed into Australia.

Vettel said earlier the drivers are ready to unite and strike depending on how the situation develops, if he sticks up to his word and is united with McLaren it's over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭geotrig

Vettel said earlier the drivers are ready to unite and strike depending on how the situation develops, if he sticks up to his word and is united with McLaren it's over.
    mclaren have pulled out as a memeber has tested positive not because they are striking :confused:

geotrig wrote: »
    mclaren have pulled out as a memeber has tested positive not because they are striking :confused:

What I meant was with a team gone, a driver's strike could completely finish it off. The drivers might strike because the team is gone.

The idea has been floted of the season taking place in F1 2020 the game. i.e. an eSports season.

I'd imagine future races could still go ahead behind closed doors.

What I meant was with a team gone, a driver's strike could completely finish it off. The drivers might strike because the team is gone.

ah get you and I wouldn't blame them but f1 has its own workings on anything and wouldnt surprise me if they continued

The idea has been floted of the season taking place in F1 2020 the game. i.e. an eSports season.

I'd imagine future races could still go ahead behind closed doors.

haha imagine that ,i'd nearly watch that !

Tbh I'd love to see them all in the same (virtual) cars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Technically, the F1 eSports championship produced quite some races, especially last season. Quite entertaining, and at times you'd forget you're not watching the real thing (well, except for Mercedes NOT winning every race!).

Yeah, it's "kids playing a videogame" in the general public's eye, but after watching the races, and as someone who does play the same game as a hobby, I can tell you - it takes an enormous amount of skills, dedication and training to complete these races with no mistakes whatsoever.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement