Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Calf Prices 2015 *** DISCUSSION THREAD

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

What age were those

3 weeks or so,a lot of poor frs making 40- 70 small and weak, young sucks a week old like heifers calves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭Base price

whelan2 wrote: »
    are fr calves being exported?
    Not that I am aware off although I did hear of one "exporter" shipping some last week. However the main ones have not started yet and are unlikely too unless prices become more realistic.
    Speaking to a neighbour yesterday and he said a good enough FR bull calf made €265 in Carrigallen last Sat. I think he said it was up on three weeks old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

Anyone sell fr m calves today,what are they making now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,483 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

farmerjj wrote: »
    Anyone sell fr m calves today,what are they making now?

I heard good FR bull calves are making around the €100+ mark

Reggie. wrote: »
    I heard better prices than that- €140 to €200 for good FR bulls up on 3 weeks old collected ex farm. Crazy prices.
    Talking to a dairy farmer this evening who is selling JEx bulls to local farmers and he has lots of demand :eek: Pure madness IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Base price wrote: »
    I heard better prices than that- €140 to €200 for good FR bulls up on 3 weeks old collected ex farm. Crazy prices.
    Talking to a dairy farmer this evening who is selling JEx bulls to local farmers and he has lots of demand :eek: Pure madness IMO

If lads are paying that kind of money then they deserve what they get come 24 months later. Will they ever learn.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Is that what you heard? You should listen with your 2 ears and you'd have heard more :):)

I have no doubt but fools imo

Is that what you heard? You should listen with your 2 ears and you'd have heard more :):)

Ok I ain't a dairy man but I only know what my BIL tells me he is moving them for ex farm. Marts might be a different game but let them fools off

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

So average 4wk old calves would make around €130?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭C4d78

High EBI fr heifer calves. Any guide price or what do people think they'd make?

farmerjj wrote: »
    So average 4wk old calves would make around €130?

I know that's what they are approx going for around here at the minute

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    If lads are paying that kind of money then they deserve what they get come 24 months later. Will they ever learn.:mad:
    To be honest Mac, NO they don't seem to learn and the rest of us regular rearers/feeders/finishers suffer in the long term re beef prices.

To be honest Mac, NO they don't seem to learn and the rest of us regular rearers/feeders/finishers suffer in the long term re beef prices.

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Ok I ain't a dairy man but I only know what my BIL tells me he is moving them for ex farm. Marts might be a different game but let them fools off

A lot of crazy stuff goes on at marts. If lads around the ring reckon they can bull you they will. At 100 euro friesian calves are dear even if beef climbs to and stays above 4.5/kg. Beef farmers and some calf buyers are there own worst enemys. these are the same lads that will be cribbing in 12-18 month time if they lose money on these cattle as stores.

There is a completely false market in store cattle at present. Some lads just do not want to make money. However we are early in the year yet glut of calves will come on stream in next 3-4 weeks this may well soften the prices.

Other issue we may have the perennial lads that are over quota and want something to drink the milk. They be better off buying yearlings and getting them to drink it. If I was buying calves I would not panic yet.

• Advertisement

A lot of crazy stuff goes on at marts. If lads around the ring reckon they can bull you they will. At 100 euro friesian calves are dear even if beef climbs to and stays above 4.5/kg. Beef farmers and some calf buyers are there own worst enemys. these are the same lads that will be cribbing in 12-18 month time if they lose money on these cattle as stores.

There is a completely false market in store cattle at present. Some lads just do not want to make money. However we are early in the year yet glut of calves will come on stream in next 3-4 weeks this may well soften the prices.

Other issue we may have the perennial lads that are over quota and want something to drink the milk. They be better off buying yearlings and getting them to drink it. If I was buying calves I would not panic yet.

I'm told that's what all the calves are heading to cork are for

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭warfie35

3 fr bull calves ( ai ) just 2 wks old made €90 each in castleisland today, handy calves though

I'm told that's what all the calves are heading to cork are for
    OH got a phone call on Saturday from a dairy farmer that we know. Conversation went something like this:
    Dairy farmer: Can you get your hands on 20 odd bull calves in the next few days. I'm going to be over quota in the next few weeks and I'd prefer "coloured" calves.
    OH: Coloured calves are really pricey at the min.
    Dairy farmer: What about Friesian bulls.
    OH: They are pricey too cause most of ye large dairy guys are over quota and won't sell the bull calves which has driven up the price.
    Dairy farmer: Bollox, do your best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

OH got a phone call on Saturday from a dairy farmer that we know. Conversation went something like this:
    Dairy farmer: Can you get your hands on 20 odd bull calves in the next few days. I'm going to be over quota in the next few weeks and I'd prefer "coloured" calves.
    OH: They are pricey too cause most of ye large dairy guys are over quota and won't sell the bull calves which has driven up the price.

I wonder whats the difference on paying the SL on the milk the calves will drink over the price the reared calves may lose after april ?
    Are ye buying calves now BP or keeping yer powder dry for later in the year ?

Bullocks wrote: »
    I wonder whats the difference on paying the SL on the milk the calves will drink over the price the reared calves may lose after april ?
    Are ye buying calves now BP or keeping yer powder dry for later in the year ?
    Your a cute one Bullocks and I mean that in the highest terms :).
    We have bought some in the last few weeks mostly FR but some FRx. They have not landed here yet.
    TBH we talked/consulted with dairy farmers earlier last year that we have dealt with over the years regarding the impending quota situation and extra cow/calf numbers.
    Today most of those farmers that we buy from are more than happy to rear calves on for a few weeks due to quota restrictions.
    However, unless you have a friendly/neighbourly dairy farmer up the road and she/he is willing to sell bull calves at realistic money then forget about them.
    Also forget about going to the local mart to buy them within the next 2 to 3 weeks as local demand unfortunately overrides the current market and it is driving up prices.
    I'am going to keep my powder dry and hopefully pick up some reared whole milk fed FR weanlings in April/May for small money :) Unlikely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

We have bought some in the last few weeks mostly FR but some FRx. They have not landed here yet.
    TBH we talked/consulted with dairy farmers earlier last year that we have dealt with over the years regarding the impending quota situation and extra cow/calf numbers.
    Today most of those farmers that we buy from are more than happy to rear calves on for a few weeks due to quota restrictions.
    However, unless you have a friendly/neighbourly dairy farmer up the road and she/he is willing to sell bull calves at realistic money then forget about them.
    Also forget about going to the local mart to buy them within the next 2 to 3 weeks as local demand unfortunately overrides the current market and it is driving up prices.
    I'am going to keep my powder dry and hopefully pick up some reared whole milk fed FR weanlings in April/May for small money :) Unlikely

I bought a few of a lad and he is keeping them till SL is over . Its working out aswell for him as me , he isn't getting a milk cheque so the calf money is welcome and he isn't too greedy with the price as he knows he will more than likely be throwing them away later on in the year .

I bought a few of a lad and he is keeping them till SL is over . Its working out aswell for him as me , he isn't getting a milk cheque so the calf money is welcome and he isn't too greedy with the price as he knows he will more than likely be throwing them away later on in the year .

Good deal there bullocks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Having been locked up b4 for our entire calving season and some months beyond and the work required at this time of raising calves along with calving etc id sell cows before I'd buy in calves. Granted it was also during the spring of 13 so it was worse than most years but I knows for a fact having an extra 70 calves knocking around the place cost me elsewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I think that is fairly likely. Most dairy farmers won't want Fr bull calves around the place for any longer than necessary so there will be a large number of well reared calves on the market in the first half of April.

I think that is fairly likely. Most dairy farmers won't want Fr bull calves around the place for any longer than necessary so there will be a large number of well reared calves on the market in the first half of April.

last week in March and first week in April.

last week in March and first week in May.
    Why do reckon then, Pudsey?

Why do reckon then, Pudsey?

Farmers can store milk for 4-5 days co-op make large collection the eve of fools day as long as the milk is not unloaded before 00.01 on the first of April it is in the new milk year so non quota milk.

As well cuter farmers will try to unload calves a bit earlier to beat price drop. You also have the situation where lads may find they have slightly misjudged quota and fin they have a few hundred liters in hand and can fill same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Wonder what these calfs will cost with being a bit older and better with the milk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

You're the exact type of customer I'd love to have. Steady buying every year and no need for anyone to get screwed

You're the exact type of customer I'd love to have. Steady buying every year and no need for anyone to get screwed

Throw out a few AA and I could throw a few lads your way ;)

• Advertisement

Just looking at donedeal there for a min and some of the asking prices for calves are ridiculous.

Just looking at donedeal there for a min and some of the asking prices for calves are ridiculous.
    'Ask and ye shall receive, seek and ye shall find'.

:p

'Ask and ye shall receive, seek and ye shall find'.

:p

More like necks like a jockeys bollox alot of them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

I would be buying these lads instead of calves. The work is done and not much more than some crazy calf prices.

http://www.donedeal.ie/beefcattle-for-sale/6-bull-weanlings/8641670?offset=11

AP2014 wrote: »
    I would be buying these lads instead of calves. The work is done and not much more than some crazy calf prices.

http://www.donedeal.ie/beefcattle-for-sale/6-bull-weanlings/8641670?offset=11

Too big and expensive for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

I have heard of lads paying €500 for the smaller version :D Jesus these lads need their heads examined. I would be after these lads for €650 to 700 delivered in yard.

AP2014 wrote: »
    I have heard of lads paying 500 for the smaller version.

Well here ain't one of them ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Wouldn't you think with so many photos he could have scattered them out for a side view beside all the photos of their arses. Would a few bigger friesians at the same price be better value than this lot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭oxjkqg

I sold 11 british friesian type bulls lastnite, 1300 for the 11, 6 days was the youngest, 2 weeks and a day was the oldest.
    The fone never stopped, add went up at 6.30, calves sold by 8.30pm and lads still callin this afternoon, screaming for them. im going to be touch and go on the quota but the workload of keepin 20ish bulls for a 1 man set up is severe enough in my case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Throw out a few AA and I could throw a few lads your way ;)

Bulls or heifers? Have three here at the moment, what they worth?

C0N0R wrote: »
    Bulls or heifers? Have three here at the moment, what they worth?
    base price would be closer to the market price than myself but.....

looking at donedeal today. Prices range from €150 to €350 for AA and WH. no mention of ages. It's a sellers market at the minute it seems. €350 leaves very little for rearer

IMO €200-250 for a good AA or WH bull calf around 2-3 weeks old is a good price for all involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

oxjkqg wrote: »
    I sold 11 british friesian type bulls lastnite, 1300 for the 11, 6 days was the youngest, 2 weeks and a day was the oldest.
    The fone never stopped, add went up at 6.30, calves sold by 8.30pm and lads still callin this afternoon, screaming for them. im going to be touch and go on the quota but the workload of keepin 20ish bulls for a 1 man set up is severe enough in my case.

Good on you. Hard to have sympathy though for fellas buying at these prices - they obviously have learned nothing from the shenanigans of the last 18 months of the beef industry. Money must come very easy to some people in this country and maybe they are queuing up to 'service' ABP's expansion plans.
    Isn't it surreal though that the milk Qouta ends on April 1st - who is the joke on then :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭oxjkqg

Good on you. Hard to have sympathy though for fellas buying at these prices - they obviously have learned nothing from the shenanigans of the last 18 months of the beef industry. Money must come very easy to some people in this country and maybe they are queuing up to 'service' ABP's expansion plans.
    Isn't it surreal though that the milk Qouta ends on April 1st - who is the joke on then :D

Sold 4 more this eve, born Saturday, Sunday and 2 yesterday... Out of springers, just tagged today... 400 for the lot!!
    And have just been informed that a 4 week old bull made 380 in ennis today!!!!
    2 week old bull made 260..
    Light handy average bulls 90 euro..
    All friesians, madness.

oxjkqg wrote: »
    Sold 4 more this eve, born Saturday, Sunday and 2 yesterday... Out of springers, just tagged today... 400 for the lot!!
    And have just been informed that a 4 week old bull made 380 in ennis today!!!!
    2 week old bull made 260..
    Light handy average bulls 90 euro..
    All friesians, madness.
    Ah there's something seriously wrong with people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭welton john

Lads this is gas,most lads you meet or hear here are talking about the crazy prices of calves.Even lads selling seem disappointed that the price is so good.No one is being forced to buy them,most will be back the following year buying mad again whether they make money or not.
    I often left marts disappointed after selling well reared 3/4 week old fr bulls for 60/70. The same lads buying them weren't too bothered about my margin out of them so im certainly not goin to worry bout them now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Lads this is gas,most lads you meet or hear here are talking about the crazy prices of calves.Even lads selling seem disappointed that the price is so good.No one is being forced to buy them,most will be back the following year buying mad again whether they make money or not.
    I often left marts after selling well reared 3/4 week old fr bulls for 60/70. The same lads buying them weren't too bothered about my margin out of them so im certainly not goin to worry bout them now.

Regardless of whether you are buying or selling, an unsustainable market is good for no one. You can buy gold at too dear a price aswell. All that is happening atm is that we are providing Larry and co a plentiful supply of cheap beef. Time after time the farmer proves he is the biggest jackass of them all, was it Einstein that said to keep repeating the same experiment over and over again expecting a different outcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Everyone here is saying prices are crazy and lads are mad to be paying such big money for calves. Is there Anyone here actually buying at these prices and if so where is the logic in it?
    This time Last year we bought a go of good Friesian bull calves for round €80. Nobody wanted them. I'd have to pay €200 for them this year (not going to happen).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

I gave E400 3 weeks ago for a ch x montbeliarde heifer calf .. fine big calf though and should make a fine cow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Everyone here is saying prices are crazy and lads are mad to be paying such big money for calves. Is there Anyone here actually buying at these prices and if so where is the logic in it?
    This time Last year we bought a go of good Friesian bull calves for round €80. Nobody wanted them. I'd have to pay €200 for them this year (not going to happen).
    But the Friesian calves you bought last year are worth 550-600 now, I'd imagine that you could still get good Friesian calves for 120-150.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

But the Friesian calves you bought last year are worth 550-600 now, I'd imagine that you could still get good Friesian calves for 120-150.

Yeah they probably are worth that now but what if this this time next year the calves I buy now for €150 are only worth €400 or less. If nothing is exported the country will be awash with them and that's all they will make. Wouldn't be much out of them then IMO. I'm sure someone here has good figures as to what it costs to keep a Friesian bull calf for a year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement