Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calf Prices 2015 *** DISCUSSION THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Prices beginning to settle it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭morebabies

Reggie. wrote: »
    Prices beginning to settle it seems

Yeah prices on done deal also reflecting this fall, thank god, I'm hoping to buy in my calves in the next week to ten days. Heifer Calves that were around 380 a month ago now dropped to around 300. Anyone have an opinion on how the prices will pan out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

morebabies wrote: »
    Yeah prices on done deal also reflecting this fall, thank god, I'm hoping to buy in my calves in the next week to ten days. Heifer Calves that were around 380 a month ago now dropped to around 300. Anyone have an opinion on how the prices will pan out?

They'll keep dropping, they always do as the flood of calves comes on stream. If I was buying calves, I'd wait til the second half of March, a lot of calves being kept to drink over quota milk will start finding their way onto the market then with lads trying to offload them then instead of waiting til April 1st to avoid the big glut of calves then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

They'll keep dropping, they always do as the flood of calves comes on stream. If I was buying calves, I'd wait til the second half of March, a lot of calves being kept to drink over quota milk will start finding their way onto the market then with lads trying to offload them then instead of waiting til April 1st to avoid the big glut of calves then.

First week in April there will be a big rush to get rid of calves. Previous years strong calves could be kept drinking milk well into April as the same lads would more than likely expect to be over quota again the following year. Also I've herd them say they may as well dring the low solids April milk allowing them to sell more high value milk at the end of the year. No such concerns this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,095 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

First week in April there will be a big rush to get rid of calves. Previous years strong calves could be kept drinking milk well into April as the same lads would more than likely expect to be over quota again the following year. Also I've herd them say they may as well dring the low solids April milk allowing them to sell more high value milk at the end of the year. No such concerns this year.
    i dont know are people feeding over quota milk to calves? Lad who buys my calves said he hasnt had anyone on to him looking for calves to drink the extra milk, he covers a big area.

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote: »
    i dont know are people feeding over quota milk to calves? Lad who buys my calves said he hasnt had anyone on to him looking for calves to drink the extra milk, he covers a big area.

They are down the south whelan. Well were a while ago anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Sold 20 today
    12 fr 147- 60 Ave age 12 days
    8 Jex 40-20 same age
    70 of a difference. Does the Jex make that up in the milk cheque?

There's a lack of FR calves it seems
    ‘No glut of black and white bull calves this year’ http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/no-glut-of-black-and-white-bull-calves-this-year/

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

There's a lack of FR calves it seems
    ‘No glut of black and white bull calves this year’ http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/no-glut-of-black-and-white-bull-calves-this-year/

Propoganda...to keep the price up!:cool:

PatQfarmer wrote: »

Do you go around wearing tin foil hats too :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Sold 8 hol/fr out of yard. 1 at 150 more or less reared, 7 at 120 5 wks old. Could of possibly gotten more hr does our bales and is sound out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

PatQfarmer wrote: »

No more likly an obersvation. If you recall some of us predicted that when quota's ended that as farmers maxed there cows on the milking platform they would switch back to HE and AA bulls. Calves born this year will not be in the herd until 2017. Many dairy farmers are running quite young herds as they have culled hard over last few years trying to keeb young stock in herd,

As well you will have this and next years heifers to come into the system. It is not so much a floor under fresians rather if he is right I be slow buying coloured calves as they are pricy and will influence amount of beef produced over next few years

As well you will have this and next years heifers to come into the system. It is not so much a floor under fresians rather if he is right I be slow buying coloured calves as they are pricy and will influence amount of beef produced over next few years

What ya mean puds?

What ya mean puds?

HE and AA calves are not suitable for export. This means they will be retained in the country. If there is a lot more of them it means that there will be a lot more cattle in the kill from 20 months time on

HE and AA calves are not suitable for export. This means they will be retained in the country. If there is a lot more of them it means that there will be a lot more cattle in the kill from 20 months time on

Thought that was it. Just making sure :)

Sold 20 today
    12 fr 147- 60 Ave age 12 days
    8 Jex 40-20 same age

Older 3wks fr 90-150
    4 wk Her heifer made 300

We're they "proper" black jerseys, or friesany looking kiwi cross types Frazz?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

We're they "proper" black jerseys, or friesany looking kiwi cross types Frazz?

Jet black like AA with horns

Had 20 more out today
    Average 10 days all BW fr made 50-110
    One black Jex super calf 3 wks old as registered as heifer and had to change card made €100 :):)
    Lad that bought him rang this pm in a strop saying I declared him as fr. I did no such thing but auctioneer did.

Yer man was horsing I told him to throw up the calf, he said he wouldn't as calf would be returned to me I quickly assured him the calf wasn't coming back here

I know his issue is with the mart but agreed to sort out a discounted fr calf next day I'm there, cause I'm a nice guy I was in good humour when he called

Had 20 more out today
    One black Jex super calf 3 wks old as registered as heifer and had to change card made €100 :):)
    Lad that bought him rang this pm in a strop saying I declared him as fr. I did no such thing but auctioneer did.

Yer man was horsing I told him to throw up the calf, he said he wouldn't as calf would be returned to me I quickly assured him the calf wasn't coming back here

I know his issue is with the mart but agreed to sort out a discounted fr calf next day I'm there, cause I'm a nice guy I was in good humour when he called

Tell him he can keep the calf for the price that the under bidder was willing to pay!

Had 20 more out today

Are the Fr crosses back from JEX cows or are the Fr. Some JEx come as B&W as well these tend to be better beef animal than the black JEx's.

The problem with calves is that if they get a lot of milk for first 3-4 weeks it can be hard to judge in ring. Swiss reds are the same if well done you nearly think they were Charleys at 3-5 weeks of age,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Are the Fr crosses back from JEX cows or are the Fr. Some JEx come as B&W as well these tend to be better beef animal than the black JEx's.

The problem with calves is that if they get a lot of milk for first 3-4 weeks it can be hard to judge in ring. Swiss reds are the same if well done you nearly think they were Charleys at 3-5 weeks of age,

You're a good man for the tricks FP. Hope you hadn't to learn from experience

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

With the expansion of the dairy herd should there not be a glut of freisan bull calves?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭mf240

restive wrote: »
    With the expansion of the dairy herd should there not be a glut of freisan bull calves?

There still on farm drinking overquota milk. They will be appearing in a mart near you soon.

restive wrote: »

Rumour has it alot of dairy men have more coloured calves than FR due to the demand from beef men the last while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

just do it wrote: »
    70 of a difference. Does the Jex make that up in the milk cheque?

I sell milk so the sooner they leave to sooner the milk goes to tank

Averaging €60 per calf this season all under 15 days Happy out

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭F.D

if hex and simx calves stay up at the prices there at at the moment
    we will have to think about changing our calf to beef system longterm
    been asked up to 420 for the simx and 380 for hex, in reality paying 390 and 360 for 4-5 week old calves
    but only 2 years ago we were paying these sort of prices and we got seriously burned last autumn when finishing
    the only people that are winning over all are the dairy people selling them first hand (and fair play to them)

F.D wrote: »
    if hex and simx calves stay up at the prices there at at the moment
    we will have to think about changing our calf to beef system longterm
    been asked up to 420 for the simx and 380 for hex, in reality paying 390 and 360 for 4-5 week old calves
    but only 2 years ago we were paying these sort of prices and we got seriously burned last autumn when finishing
    the only people that are winning over all are the dairy people selling them first hand (and fair play to them)

Can't see the prices start lying that high for too long l. By the end of march all calves will be on the market as the quotas go. Dairy men won't want to feed them then

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

Can't see the prices start lying that high for too long l. By the end of march all calves will be on the market as the quotas go. Dairy men won't want to feed them then

Calf prices should drop alright, will wealing/yearlings drop though?

AP2014 wrote: »

Hard to know. The American prospect might keep the price high. Not many cattle out there for slaughter

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭F.D

AP2014 wrote: »
    younger calf prices might drop as they will be a later calf to get out to grass etc
    but the calf nearly reared by the dairy man i reckon will still demand a stong price as the work is done rearing him, i even see some guys around me have none bought yet in the hope they will pick them up reared at handy money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

F.D wrote: »
    younger calf prices might drop as they will be a later calf to get out to grass etc
    but the calf nearly reared by the dairy man i reckon will still demand a stong price as the work is done rearing him, i even see some guys around me have none bought yet in the hope they will pick them up reared at handy money
    They will be nothing cheap but prices will ease a bit. That's my prediction anyway

Advertisement