Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calf Prices 2015 *** DISCUSSION THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

C0N0R wrote: »
    Bulls or heifers? Have three here at the moment, what they worth?
    base price would be closer to the market price than myself but.....

looking at donedeal today. Prices range from €150 to €350 for AA and WH. no mention of ages. It's a sellers market at the minute it seems. €350 leaves very little for rearer

IMO €200-250 for a good AA or WH bull calf around 2-3 weeks old is a good price for all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

oxjkqg wrote: »
    I sold 11 british friesian type bulls lastnite, 1300 for the 11, 6 days was the youngest, 2 weeks and a day was the oldest.
    The fone never stopped, add went up at 6.30, calves sold by 8.30pm and lads still callin this afternoon, screaming for them. im going to be touch and go on the quota but the workload of keepin 20ish bulls for a 1 man set up is severe enough in my case.

Good on you. Hard to have sympathy though for fellas buying at these prices - they obviously have learned nothing from the shenanigans of the last 18 months of the beef industry. Money must come very easy to some people in this country and maybe they are queuing up to 'service' ABP's expansion plans.
    Isn't it surreal though that the milk Qouta ends on April 1st - who is the joke on then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭oxjkqg

Good on you. Hard to have sympathy though for fellas buying at these prices - they obviously have learned nothing from the shenanigans of the last 18 months of the beef industry. Money must come very easy to some people in this country and maybe they are queuing up to 'service' ABP's expansion plans.
    Isn't it surreal though that the milk Qouta ends on April 1st - who is the joke on then :D

Sold 4 more this eve, born Saturday, Sunday and 2 yesterday... Out of springers, just tagged today... 400 for the lot!!
    And have just been informed that a 4 week old bull made 380 in ennis today!!!!
    2 week old bull made 260..
    Light handy average bulls 90 euro..
    All friesians, madness.

oxjkqg wrote: »
    Sold 4 more this eve, born Saturday, Sunday and 2 yesterday... Out of springers, just tagged today... 400 for the lot!!
    And have just been informed that a 4 week old bull made 380 in ennis today!!!!
    2 week old bull made 260..
    Light handy average bulls 90 euro..
    All friesians, madness.
    Ah there's something seriously wrong with people

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭welton john

Lads this is gas,most lads you meet or hear here are talking about the crazy prices of calves.Even lads selling seem disappointed that the price is so good.No one is being forced to buy them,most will be back the following year buying mad again whether they make money or not.
    I often left marts disappointed after selling well reared 3/4 week old fr bulls for 60/70. The same lads buying them weren't too bothered about my margin out of them so im certainly not goin to worry bout them now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Lads this is gas,most lads you meet or hear here are talking about the crazy prices of calves.Even lads selling seem disappointed that the price is so good.No one is being forced to buy them,most will be back the following year buying mad again whether they make money or not.
    I often left marts after selling well reared 3/4 week old fr bulls for 60/70. The same lads buying them weren't too bothered about my margin out of them so im certainly not goin to worry bout them now.

Regardless of whether you are buying or selling, an unsustainable market is good for no one. You can buy gold at too dear a price aswell. All that is happening atm is that we are providing Larry and co a plentiful supply of cheap beef. Time after time the farmer proves he is the biggest jackass of them all, was it Einstein that said to keep repeating the same experiment over and over again expecting a different outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Everyone here is saying prices are crazy and lads are mad to be paying such big money for calves. Is there Anyone here actually buying at these prices and if so where is the logic in it?
    This time Last year we bought a go of good Friesian bull calves for round €80. Nobody wanted them. I'd have to pay €200 for them this year (not going to happen).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

I gave E400 3 weeks ago for a ch x montbeliarde heifer calf .. fine big calf though and should make a fine cow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Everyone here is saying prices are crazy and lads are mad to be paying such big money for calves. Is there Anyone here actually buying at these prices and if so where is the logic in it?
    This time Last year we bought a go of good Friesian bull calves for round €80. Nobody wanted them. I'd have to pay €200 for them this year (not going to happen).
    But the Friesian calves you bought last year are worth 550-600 now, I'd imagine that you could still get good Friesian calves for 120-150.

But the Friesian calves you bought last year are worth 550-600 now, I'd imagine that you could still get good Friesian calves for 120-150.

Yeah they probably are worth that now but what if this this time next year the calves I buy now for €150 are only worth €400 or less. If nothing is exported the country will be awash with them and that's all they will make. Wouldn't be much out of them then IMO. I'm sure someone here has good figures as to what it costs to keep a Friesian bull calf for a year.

• Advertisement

Yeah they probably are worth that now but what if this this time next year the calves I buy now for €150 are only worth €400 or less. If nothing is exported the country will be awash with them and that's all they will make. Wouldn't be much out of them then IMO. I'm sure someone here has good figures as to what it costs to keep a Friesian bull calf for a year.

Puds is your man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Sold 15 fr and 15 Jex this morning.

Fr made from 120 to 90
    Jex from 20 to 55

All told average €70 one with another. Happy with that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Sold 15 fr and 15 Jex this morning.

Fr made from 120 to 90
    Jex from 20 to 55

All told average €70 one with another. Happy with that
    How old were they, Frazzled?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭solwhit12

Sold calves out of the yard this morning all white head .3 bulls 375 ,3 heifers 250 to 300.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

How old were they, Frazzled?

2 wks
    Saw younger FRS making 50

Will take another load next week

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Reggie. wrote: »
    Puds is your man

Allow for a bag of milk powder, 70 kgs calf ration, 200kgs of a good beef ration, bale of straw, 25/head for veterinary, testing and mortality, 50 for grass and a euro/day for first winter period and add in 30 euro for miscellaneous. In my case it comes to about 300 euro. At that you should have a good calf at 12 months.

Now that Reggie is recommending me I have to keep my wits about me he the sharp lad at the calves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

Lads, what's the story with with burying dead calves nowadays? Do you have to have proof it was taken away to the knackery? How much does this cost besides the obvious loss of this calf?

Back in the day when we had calves, digging a few holes on the farm a few times a year was all part of the job. If ya had calves now would you get away with taking the shovels out?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,095 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

AP2014 wrote: »
    Lads, what's the story with with burying dead calves nowadays? Do you have to have proof it was taken away to the knackery? How much does this cost besides the obvious loss of this calf?

Back in the day when we had calves, digging a few holes on the farm a few times a year was all part of the job. If ya had calves now would you get away with taking the shovels out?
    not allowed around here anyway, 25 euro disposal cost to knackery if they collect

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

whelan2 wrote: »
    not allowed around here anyway, 25 euro disposal cost to knackery if they collect

jesus that's not too bad and how much if ya deliver so to speak?

AP2014 wrote: »
    jesus that's not too bad and how much if ya deliver so to speak?
    dont know, never delivered them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

I have 25 u can have for 80 e

milkprofit wrote: »
    just over 3 euro each

milkprofit wrote: »

Will they be worth €400 or €200 this time next year? :)

Allow for a bag of milk powder, 70 kgs calf ration, 200kgs of a good beef ration, bale of straw, 25/head for veterinary, testing and mortality, 50 for grass and a euro/day for first winter period and add in 30 euro for miscellaneous. In my case it comes to about 300 euro. At that you should have a good calf at 12 months.

Now that Reggie is recommending me I have to keep my wits about me he the sharp lad at the calves.

Good man pudsey and that's before you've a few quid for yourself. Add in purchase price and you are better off buying them at a year old when most of the work is done. Or better still buy a meat factory and get farmers to do all the work for nothing or at a loss and deliver them to you where you can process them and make a fortune :)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭vermin99

Buying holstein friesins off neighbour 5 week old at €65 a calf, what dia think prices will be like next october to sell as bull weanlings:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭degetme

Anyone know what fr/ho heifer calves making? Ebi near 200. All munster ai bulls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

degetme wrote: »
    Anyone know what fr/ho heifer calves making? Ebi near 200. All munster ai bulls

Haven't heard but if dams have good records behind them they could range from 350 to 6 or 700 hundred depending on pedigree and age maybe only guessing as hhaven't sold recently

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭degetme

Milked out wrote: »
    Haven't heard but if dams have good records behind them they could range from 350 to 6 or 700 hundred depending on pedigree and age maybe only guessing as hhaven't sold recently

Iv some surplus 1s to sell. Dnt know what to ask for them. No milk recording here. Had a great run of heifers to fr bulls this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

degetme wrote: »
    Iv some surplus 1s to sell. Dnt know what to ask for them. No milk recording here. Had a great run of heifers to fr bulls this year

You could genomic test them it may add a few euro to the value and if your wondering which ones to keep or sell the info would help u make up your mind, may take a few weeks to get results back

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

vermin99 wrote: »
    Buying holstein friesins off neighbour 5 week old at €65 a calf, what dia think prices will be like next october to sell as bull weanlings:eek:

Around €250

Advertisement