Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calf Prices 2015 *** DISCUSSION THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

see a 3 week old HE bull made 505 in kilmallock this week.what is lads fascination with these cattle.Nothing against them but you buy good aa or fr for 100+/head less than what they're making atm

Some lads just do not like Friesians god bless them:D. On AA very dodgy buying at less than 5-8 weeks hard to see difference in lads that are bred from short gestation easy calving bulls. If you wait until calves are stronger it is easier to buy the better calf.

Hard with them as well as stores it hard to see poorer quality rather than the backward store. Prefer to keep away from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,095 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Some lads just do not like Friesians god bless them:D. On AA very dodgy buying at less than 5-8 weeks hard to see difference in lads that are bred from short gestation easy calving bulls. If you wait until calves are stronger it is easier to buy the better calf.

Hard with them as well as stores it hard to see poorer quality rather than the backward store. Prefer to keep away from them.
    had a lad here this evening looking for 15 aa calves as he was fed up of buying them in the mart and as you say they where not what he wanted, he knows what he's getting here

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭welton john

We keep a share of homebred calves every year and the AA always weighed better and sold better than the HE.That said they werent off the easiest calving bulls and its easier than buying in.Have a few off heifers and easy/short bull you mention and there alot better than i thought.will keep the angus and sell the HE as calves this year

• Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

The AA can be a mixed bunch alright but I like them as they are a hardy breed

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

Reggie. wrote: »
    The AA can be a mixed bunch alright but I like them as they are a hardy breed
    And they finish easily, on little lifetime meal.

• Advertisement

PatQfarmer wrote: »

Ah yeah. Can get always get one to be slow to put on weight tho

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭eddiek

PatQfarmer wrote: »

what sort of weight are they finished at? 24-30 month steers.little meal

eddiek wrote: »
    what sort of weight are they finished at? 24-30 month steers.little meal

Well I've two for the chop shortly. This one is around the 600kg mark at 21 months. Got about 1 kg of meal a day from 12 weeks old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Anyone in bandon recently? Prices for 2 to 4 week old and 6 wk old calves. Fr. May have a buyer for calves out of the yard

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭morebabies

Looking for around 20 or 30 Hex heifers myself in a few weeks time but not at the current prices, looking for 3 week olds, anyone have any idea if the prices will ease off at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

morebabies wrote: »
    Looking for around 20 or 30 Hex heifers myself in a few weeks time but not at the current prices, looking for 3 week olds, anyone have any idea if the prices will ease off at all?

My guess would be start of march

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭epfff

My guess would be start of march

I'm guessing June
    When guys discover beef isn't actually that scarce or dear

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

epfff wrote: »
    I'm guessing June
    When guys discover beef isn't actually that scarce or dear

Wouldn't say they'll be many calves around then.
    But I think you mean cattle in general, which I don't farmers ever really discover that!

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭morebabies

Just wondering was anyone in kilmallock today and if so what was trade like today for Hereford or Angus?

ANY prices for aa or fr bull calves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

whelan2 wrote: »
    ANY prices for aa or fr bull calves?

good fr bulls 170-200 today in ross aa 220-340

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

leg wax wrote: »

What age were those

are fr calves being exported?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,077 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Not at prices been quoted here anyway,the most exporters will pay is 120/120.have the beef men learnt nothing from last year,setting themselves up for a big fall in 2 years time again,goingbto be hard have sympathy for them this time.prices in marts for calves and older stock is crazy at the moment.great if ur selling though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

leg wax wrote: »

Ill be going to Ross next week so.
    Have 6 here now one absolute beast. Looks like a montbeliard

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

What age were those

3 weeks or so,a lot of poor frs making 40- 70 small and weak, young sucks a week old like heifers calves

• Registered Users Posts: 11,152 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Not that I am aware off although I did hear of one "exporter" shipping some last week. However the main ones have not started yet and are unlikely too unless prices become more realistic.
    Speaking to a neighbour yesterday and he said a good enough FR bull calf made €265 in Carrigallen last Sat. I think he said it was up on three weeks old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

Anyone sell fr m calves today,what are they making now?

farmerjj wrote: »
    Anyone sell fr m calves today,what are they making now?

I heard good FR bull calves are making around the €100+ mark

• Registered Users Posts: 11,152 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I heard better prices than that- €140 to €200 for good FR bulls up on 3 weeks old collected ex farm. Crazy prices.
    Talking to a dairy farmer this evening who is selling JEx bulls to local farmers and he has lots of demand :eek: Pure madness IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Base price wrote: »
    I heard better prices than that- €140 to €200 for good FR bulls up on 3 weeks old collected ex farm. Crazy prices.
    Talking to a dairy farmer this evening who is selling JEx bulls to local farmers and he has lots of demand :eek: Pure madness IMO

If lads are paying that kind of money then they deserve what they get come 24 months later. Will they ever learn.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Is that what you heard? You should listen with your 2 ears and you'd have heard more :):)

Base price wrote: »

I have no doubt but fools imo

Is that what you heard? You should listen with your 2 ears and you'd have heard more :):)

Ok I ain't a dairy man but I only know what my BIL tells me he is moving them for ex farm. Marts might be a different game but let them fools off

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

So average 4wk old calves would make around €130?

Advertisement