Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calf Prices 2015 *** DISCUSSION THREAD

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Damn!! If I test Monday and buy Wednesday what's the story there?

They'll be ok, only what's in your herd profile at time of test will be in the vets handheld to be cleared. Just mention it if you buy any and split them from your herd so they won't have to go up the crush and create confusion.

Also would be good herd management if (god forbid) you did go down in the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Kovu wrote: »
    They'll be ok, only what's in your herd profile at time of test will be in the vets handheld to be cleared. Just mention it if you buy any and split them from your herd so they won't have to go up the crush and create confusion.

That's grand il do that so. Although dad went to the mart today for a look heaps and heaps of fr bulls and anything else was like gold . Will chance a small few anyway and maybe hold out for a while

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Damn!! If I test Monday and buy Wednesday what's the story there?
    Kovu wrote: »

Sorry but if you test Monday and are reading on Thursday then you can't buy in while the test is in progress. So you can't buy on Wednesday.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Milked out wrote: »
    Had an aa heifer land yday a bit early, small hardy girl but she has a brownish coat you'd swear the fecker was a jersey

Wouldn't be out of Mogeelly Joe would it? I have a lovely weanling heifer from late last year - she is chocolate brown with her mother's white head. I don't think any neighbour's bull was involved, but can't be 100% sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

Red Hereford bull calf (3 weeks) €200
    AAX, LIMX & HEX Heifer calves (3 weeks) €180 each

That's from a dealer
    You didn't do too bad...knowing the dealer:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

PatQfarmer wrote: »
    You didn't do too bad...knowing the dealer:rolleyes:

So your his source :D

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wats the craic

leg wax wrote: »
    calves start at 11 or sooner as numbers are huge for ross at over 700 last week ,cattle start at 11.30. it must have been a while since you were there :eek:

ya and to think 10 yrs ago they were strong rumours of new ross mart closing . and putting houses over there . its booming over there the last couple yrs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

12 friesan with a bit of jx through most of them 3 wks down to 10 days made €90 out of the yard, not big calves but healthy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

12 friesan with a bit of jx through most of them 3 wks down to 10 days made €90 out of the yard, not big calves but healthy

Just about to milk penno cows this evening and a guy rolled into yard, local farmer. Bought 8 1 wk old fr calves really big calves €130 each. Took all of 15 mins. Love guys like that, no bollixing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Just about to milk penno cows this evening and a guy rolled into yard, local farmer. Bought 8 1 wk old fr calves really big calves €130 each. Took all of 15 mins. Love guys like that, no bollixing

A few pints tonight so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

td5man wrote: »
    A few pints tonight so.

Are ya buying

td5man wrote: »
    A few pints tonight so.

Now that you said it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭High bike

What are young prolly heifers making at the moment,bout 10 days old?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭joejobrien

16 FR bulls, 10 days to 18 days old, some of them light enough 115 out of yard. Yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

in newross yesterday about 470 calves in it got 2 heifers bb @360 and a sax @310, calves were a mad trade the plain small calf was a rob especially the aa calf, uncle larry has all the lads following to his tune to the tar barrels outside the factory,
    newross had a good sale yesterday amazing how when a good fella selling the stock improves a place and kills the dealers and the mart up the road nearly closed and it one time the biggest in the south east, a mart needs to run right.

in newross yesterday about 470 calves in it got 2 heifers bb @360 and a sax @310, calves were a mad trade the plain small calf was a rob especially the aa calf, uncle larry has all the lads following to his tune to the tar barrels outside the factory,
    newross had a good sale yesterday amazing how when a good fella selling the stock improves a place and kills the dealers and the mart up the road nearly closed and it one time the biggest in the south east, a mart needs to run right.
    Picked up a few aax bulls and heifers all between 140.180
    Tought it was better than enniscorthy good mix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

I always thought enniscorthy allowed none of the dealers run the place.
    Carnew on the other hand.....

If ye want to see dealers tuning a place go to KK. It's a disgrace with pathetic auctioneers full if their own Bullshyte.

Auctioneer will tolerate dealers divving good calves among themselves allowing bidding to start a €5. Cull cow ring is worse with MR C. performing.

I was selling cull cows a few yrs ago 12 out. All good straight grazing cows. Sold six and not another six as felt dealers were getting it too handy. No box for seller there and when I didn't sell Mr C. announces Mr X this isn't how we do business here and my response was when your selling your own cattle you'd have a different puss on you. Brought to another mart 2 days later and got €180 per head more.

Another day after selling cheap calves a little weasel dealer who bought them approached me for luck before I'd left the podium. I turned kinda awkward with my elbow leading and he some how went through an open door ending on his arse in the yard. Among much mirth I went over and said he was lucky I didn't mean it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭mf240

If ye want to see dealers tuning a place go to KK. It's a disgrace with pathetic auctioneers full if their own Bullshyte.

Auctioneer will tolerate dealers divving good calves among themselves allowing bidding to start a €5. Cull cow ring is worse with Mr C. performing.

I was selling cull cows a few yrs ago 12 out. All good straight grazing cows. Sold six and not another six as felt dealers were getting it too handy. No box for seller there and when I didn't sell Mr C. announces Mr X this isn't how we do business here and my response was when your selling your own cattle you'd have a different puss on you. Brought to another mart 2 days later and got €180 per head more.

Another day after selling cheap calves a little weasel dealer who bought them approached me for luck before I'd left the podium. I turned kinda awkward with my elbow leading and he some how went through an open door ending on his arse in the yard. Among much mirth I went over and said he was lucky I didn't mean it

Bought milking cows there a couple of times in the last few years and that clown spouting would nearly put you off.

I always thought enniscorthy allowed none of the dealers run the place.
    Carnew on the other hand.....

Is carnew that bad gg? I

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

mf240 wrote: »
    Bought milking cows there a couple of times in the last few years and that clown spouting would nearly put you off.

Is he as bad as bop bop bop bop in Castleisland. There is a real lad that will do your head in the dealers can hardly understand him.

TBH marts are split in two those that need dealers to buy there cattle and those that do not. Even those that do have a large farmer presence buying still tend to defer to dealers even if they look like they do not. I tend to buy at marts that are considered dealers marts. I find that so called farmers marts screw the farmer buying a lot of the time. A dealer mart will as well if they only see you once off if you keep going and drive the cattle by 20-30 euro they will let you be.

I have little sympathy for dairy farmers selling calves or culls these are byproducts of their system . Too many beef farmers pay over the top like at present for such cattle. At present I think calves are overvalued too many lads panicking as there are fewer store's around.

Tbf MF they have good milch cows selling there.

Tbf MF they have good milch cows selling there.

Agreed . I was happy with any i bought in it.

Staff in yard are sound too.

Yer man is straight enough, its just he thinks hes funny and he isint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Is carnew that bad gg? I

We never got on well in it sold very good weaning in it last few yr and they were given away
    and we'd know David well. Sold our farm for us.
    Enniscorthy is a good mart I'm told. Never sold in it though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I have little sympathy for dairy farmers selling calves or culls these are byproducts of their system . Too many beef farmers pay over the top like at present for such cattle. At present I think calves are overvalued too many lads panicking as there are fewer store's around.

Its lads like you that pisses me off marts
    The odd time they show up in a mart they want stock at there own price
    At least cattle jobbers will be there the dear day as well as the cheap day and are not shy of driving on prices if they can get away with it

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

cute geoge wrote: »
    At least cattle jobbers will be there the dear day as well as the cheap day and are not shy of driving on prices if they can get away with it

None of us deserve charity but some lads take the piss. Called to a dairy farmer last spring looking for calves. He was blowing that he was getting nearly 50 cent a ltr and wanted 400 quid for 3 week old FR/AA calves. I hope the miserable cumt still has them.

None of us deserve charity but some lads take the piss. Called to a dairy farmer last spring looking for calves. He was blowing that he was getting nearly 50 cent a ltr and wanted 400 quid for 3 week old FR/AA calves. I hope the miserable cumt still has them.

So do I . Theyll be worth 700 hundred if he does.

cute geoge wrote: »

The reality is that for dairy farmers beef is not the main enterprise. These are the same lads that want us beef farmers to rear their dairy heifers for 90c/day as ( sur that is all they make at beef)./ Most dealers are only turning cattle especially those that are longer than 70 days from finish. Most of the time if I buy cattle that are too dear I am losing money.

A farmers only friend is his pocket. And yes I will be there the day they are expensive but generally I keep my hand in my pocket.

The reality is if me or you buy cattle at that price we are leaving a dairy farmers with the most profit on the animal.

So do I . Theyll be worth 700 hundred if he does.

There would be no margin for him if he got 3-400 out of the yard at 3 weeks. He have done a lot of work for 50ish euro's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭cute geoge

€400 seems excessive for any calf and nearly all dairy lads would snap your had off at€300 for a good he/aa
    I sold good br.fr 4 weeks bulls at mart for €135 last week, I cant see why lads leave these after them and buy whiteheads .
    Most dairy lads would at least need this or it does not make sense even to go to the trouble of feeding them ,At 4 weeks they would have drank [25x8l] 200 litres of milk and tagging and bvd test would add another €7. I can not see how ye are complaing to get them cheaper

Advertisement