Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calf Prices 2015 *** DISCUSSION THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Farrell wrote: »
    You're a good man for the tricks FP. Hope you hadn't to learn from experience

You never learn the easy way. Alway tend to have a look at anything that is cheap and chance a few. Made money on Jex bulls over the years killing at sub 24 months. If you get them cheap enough you can make a bob. Got landed with a JEX registered as an LMX can be hard to judge at time in the dar however did not pay a lot for him.
    F.D wrote: »
    if hex and simx calves stay up at the prices there at at the moment
    we will have to think about changing our calf to beef system longterm
    been asked up to 420 for the simx and 380 for hex, in reality paying 390 and 360 for 4-5 week old calves
    but only 2 years ago we were paying these sort of prices and we got seriously burned last autumn when finishing
    the only people that are winning over all are the dairy people selling them first hand (and fair play to them)

No point in buying dear calves, leave them behind and buy as stores in 18 months time. IMO no calf from a dairy cow is worth more than 250 euro and the ones that are bought at 250 are often worth only half that.
    AP2014 wrote: »
    Calf prices should drop alright, will wealing/yearlings drop though?

Cannot see weanlings/yearlings drop store price should be strong all this year. Will try to buy on opportunity this summer. WH and AA could slump inlate march if the glut arrives that is supposed to be there the WH will still be north of 250 I imagine. However stronger calves 8-10 weeks old might be better value or during the summer at 3-4 months as risk of losses and stunted calves has not to be factored in as weell as Vet bills and feed to get him to that stage,

What is the cost of rearing a HE calf in from 3-10 weeks 150+ euro?.
    younger calf prices might drop as they will be a later calf to get out to grass etc
    but the calf nearly reared by the dairy man i reckon will still demand a stong price as the work is done rearing him, i even see some guys around me have none bought yet in the hope they will pick them up reared at handy money

You are always as well off to cover your bets buy some wait for some.

They will be nothing cheap but prices will ease a bit. That's my prediction anyway

I expect you are right but spring 2017 is looking good for cheap stores

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

I sell milk so the sooner they leave to sooner the milk goes to tank

Averaging €60 per calf this season all under 15 days Happy out

Read in the comic (either todays or last weeks) that the JEX cows leaves €100 profit per year on a grass based system. Didn't give detail so not sure if that includes income from calf sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭J DEERE

Reggie. wrote: »
    Hard to know. The American prospect might keep the price high. Not many cattle out there for slaughter

Tbh I wouldn't be relying overly heavy on the prospect of the American market as I honestly believe that it will not be as influential as People are hoping. Whole Foods have their own requirements of their suppliers before they buy their beef, one of which that the animal has lived its entire life on the one farm

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭locky76

I'm collecting 10 Angus calves off a neighbour tomorrow, a mix of bulls and heifers....
    They are three to four weeks old and all in good order.
    What sort of money could I expect to pay for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

locky76 wrote: »
    I'm collecting 10 Angus calves off a neighbour tomorrow, a mix of bulls and heifers....
    They are three to four weeks old and all in good order.
    What sort of money could I expect to pay for them?

€200 to €250

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

younger calf prices might drop as they will be a later calf to get out to grass etc
    but the calf nearly reared by the dairy man i reckon will still demand a stong price as the work is done rearing him, i even see some guys around me have none bought yet in the hope they will pick them up reared at handy money

I think the dairy lads will keep these reared calves and graze them for the summer anyway.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    I think the dairy lads will keep these reared calves and graze them for the summer anyway.

If they have the land/grass to spare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

FP would you think the beef price in two years time will hit an all time low with oversupply followed by a big spike in price short term as people jump off the boat only to jump back on agin?

I know other factors are in play to.

FP would you think the beef price in two years time will hit an all time low with oversupply followed by a big spike in price short term as people jump off the boat only to jump back on agin?

Same auld story

One big factor effecting supply is the way farmers tend to throw cattle at processors. Take this winter loads of lad finished young forward store as they presumed on a very strong winter price. The only cattle I finished was three year old bullocks that I did not sell off grass.

I am afraid that farmers will never learn to regulate supply I know it is easier said than done. Look at the situtation at present. Calf prices are good and some dairy farmers are thinking of holding same. Last year same dairy farmers could not get rid of them fast enough. It will all depend on numbers. Only thing I notice is some lads are shyer about getting sucked into buying expensive cattle.

However the reality is it is a numbers game as we can see at present strong UK price and US prospects still numbers keep a lid on price. Kill over 30K is an issue as we can see. It is too early yet to think of longterm outcome a lot depends on amount of suckler weanlings exported. If balance is right outcome is not too bad,

Issue is where farmers cannot afford to buy there normal spec and buy calves or weanlings instead and out bid exporters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,152 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Aaagghh.. I hate that we cannot comment on the calf prices thread :(
    Caseman I assume that the price you quoted is either a typo or else the bulls were a lot older than calves.

Would 3-4 week old friesians be worth a punt at 110 a piece? Aim to sell at 18 months as bullocks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

J DEERE wrote: »
    Would 3-4 week old friesians be worth a punt at 110 a piece? Aim to sell at 18 months as bullocks

If they are good calves yes it about the mart value.

A lot of talk of great prices. I'm at the mart every week :( and I notice a lot if guys standing off till a really good calf comes into the ring

Calves fr are averaging €70 with an odd really good one at €140 and the small lads making €40-50

A lot of talk of great prices. I'm at the mart every week :( and I notice a lot if guys standing off till a really good calf comes into the ring

Calves fr are averaging €70 with an odd really good one at €140 and the small lads making €40-50
    As always only the good prices will get mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

As always only the good prices will get mentioned

Same with most of the online mart reports.. I've no interest in knowing what the top 6 animals made in any mart.. I want to see a spread or prices to get a picture how the market lies.. At any sale there are always a few animals that sell above their value and this is what you see reported everywhere... in many ways its pointless.

_Brian wrote: »
    Same with most of the online mart reports.. I've no interest in knowing what the top 6 animals made in any mart.. I want to see a spread or prices to get a picture how the market lies.. At any sale there are always a few animals that sell above their value and this is what you see reported everywhere... in many ways its pointless.

That's why I always look for the complete report from the mart online

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Particularly if you buying ex farm and have a better idea of their breeding.. In the mart it has to be calf by calf.. Well marked BF calves would be a good buy at €110, Ho not so much value at that price.

Yes not so sure if I would hold until 18 months. If price next spring is as strong as this spring I be selling as yearlings. If you can get these calves to 300+kgs by this time next year and if the price is in the region of 2/kg it is hard to see them making enough more to make holding until 18 months viable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I always liked the ones that gave prices ranging from €2.37 p/kg to €1.65 p/kg or from €X TO €X so you can give a good guesstimate as to average ppk.

Particularly if you buying ex farm and have a better idea of their breeding.. In the mart it has to be calf by calf.. Well marked BF calves would be a good buy at €110, Ho not so much value at that price.

BF costing 175-200 in the area ex farm good shape though. HO are 110, they wouldn't be extreme but would be 3/4 HO. Buying from neighbor. Would BF be better value at that coin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

AA BULL 4 weeks old made £395
    AA Heifer 4 weeks old made £285
    FR Bull 4 weeks old made £222

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭caseman

Base price wrote: »
    Aaagghh.. I hate that we cannot comment on the calf prices thread :(
    Caseman I assume that the price you quoted is either a typo or else the bulls were a lot older than calves.

3 week old calves 110 each nice jersey cross

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Anyone know what time calf sale starts in Ross on a Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 shanboman

New Ross;
    Sheep sales start at 10 a.m..Calf sales at 11.30 a.m. Cattle sales which begin at 1 p.m

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭mf240

BF costing 175-200 in the area ex farm good shape though. HO are 110, they wouldn't be extreme but would be 3/4 HO. Buying from neighbor. Would BF be better value at that coin?

If you are finishing them go holstien if selling as stores go for the bf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Had an aa heifer land yday a bit early, small hardy girl but she has a brownish coat you'd swear the fecker was a jersey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

shanboman wrote: »
    New Ross;
    Sheep sales start at 10 a.m..Calf sales at 11.30 a.m. Cattle sales which begin at 1 p.m

calves start at 11 or sooner as numbers are huge for ross at over 700 last week ,cattle start at 11.30. it must have been a while since you were there :eek:

Lads I'm testing next week. What's the story if I get calves now do they have to be tested?

Lads I'm testing next week. What's the story if I get calves now do they have to be tested?

Yeah they will be

• Advertisement

Yeah they will be

Damn!! If I test Monday and buy Wednesday what's the story there?

Advertisement