Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Running, Corona Virus and Social Distancing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Enjoy yourself you selfish ****

Charming way to introduce yourself to the forum. :rolleyes:

Obviously trollage. No logic, and and none of the links (to tweets) shed much light on the definition of "brief''.

I went for 5.5 easy miles this morning, under 50 mins total. Less time than someone strolling for 30 mins out and 30 mins back. Never more than 21 mins away from the front door. Met 4 cars, a chained up dog and zero pedestrians. For me that was as brief as a run ever is these days, and at no point more than 2k from the house.

I don't see any reason not to take the guidance literally. Here's the '30 mins' quote (from CMO Dr. Tony Holohan) for the record:
    ... to take brief physical exercise within your locality, which may include children from the household (either for a run or walk with/without dog) within 2 km of the home (i.e. half-hour from the home) adhering to strict 2m social distancing measures.

Note that a fast runner could interpret the 'i.e. half-hour from the home' much more loosely and build a far wider radius - but I believe that would not be in the spirit of the guideline/regulation/law (whatever it actually is). I'm very happy to adhere to the 2k guidelines, and if this definition of 'brief' is more strictly defined I'll certainly observe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

I did a six mile easy run this morning, all within the 2k radius, gave plenty of room to people and didn’t expect people to make room for me. People were appreciative of the effort, it’s handy enough to jump out onto the road as there aren’t many cars out at that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭niallo32

Went out at 7am and did an hour.

Same as most other posters, I seen a handful of dog walkers and crossed the road to avoid them.

Stayed within 2km-ish and was home without coming within 50 metres of anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

I'm sticking to the 2km radius unless I hear something different. Which is a complete pain in the balls, as I live exactly 2.1km from the Infirmary Road gate of the Phoenix Park.

If it was 30mins from home I'd have the Munich Hills and Polo Grounds within reach but I *should* survive for two weeks. I don't think I've even got a football pitch within 2km, so I'm thinking of just doing easy miles on the roads for a fortnight. And I've been running at 6.30am for the past couple of weeks anyway.

Really impressed by the level of compliance with the spirit of the lockdown evidenced on Strava (I may just follow a very civic-minded bunch of runners!).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

Sacksian wrote: »
    I'm sticking to the 2km radius unless I hear something different. Which is a complete pain in the balls, as I live exactly 2.1km from the Infirmary Road gate of the Phoenix Park.

If it was 30mins from home I'd have the Munich Hills and Polo Grounds within reach but I *should* survive for two weeks. I don't think I've even got a football pitch within 2km, so I'm thinking of just doing easy miles on the roads for a fortnight. And I've been running at 6.30am for the past couple of weeks anyway.

Really impressed by the level of compliance with the spirit of the lockdown evidenced on Strava (I may just follow a very civic-minded bunch of runners!).

Where or what are the Munich hills in the Park? Have been running there for years and never heard of them before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Advice from Cork Athletics County board
    https://www.corkathletics.org/news/1670-editorial-do-you-really-need-to-get-out.html

Advice from Corkrunning blog
    https://corkrunning.blogspot.com/2020/03/government-restrict-all-individual.html?spref=tw&m=1

"Note that the instruction is for BRIEF individual physical exercise. It's not for running up and down the road within 2kms of your house and clocking up a half-marathon!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

Asked a Garda friend today and he said no time limit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭ooter

went out for a run earlier in the phoenix park, stayed within the 2k radius and even brought my driving licence with me for proof of address in the unlikely event of being stopped by the gardai. plenty of people were out walking (some with dogs, some without) and a few people cycling. I have absolutely no problem with them and they didn't seem to have a problem with me, any time I came towards somebody I gave them a wide berth. passed gardai both on foot and in cars on a few occasions on the loop and they had no problem with me either.
    so long as I stick to that I can't see there being a problem, blessed to have the PP on my doorstep by the way.

ewc78 wrote: »
    Where or what are the Munich hills in the Park? Have been running there for years and never heard of them before.

the grass hills beside the magazine fort, could be wrong but I think they're called the munich hills because eamonn Coughlan trained on them for the munich Olympics?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭Lazare

Having the PP within 2kms of your gaff is a sick brag :)

main gate is less than 1km away, used to live even closer. i'd be lost without it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

ooter wrote: »
    the grass hills beside the magazine fort, could be wrong but I think they're called the munich hills because eamonn Coughlan trained on them for the munich Olympics?

That's right. It's used as a training loop for clubs like Crusaders, Donore and MSB most weekends during the xc season.

phoenix_park.jpg

the BHAA do a XC race on it every year and it's a killer.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'd not been running for a while mainly due to being ill and wanting to prolong that and also wanting to be 100% sure that I'd be ok when I went back running.

In all I went 8 days without any running. I found it very tough as I was working from home I was getting no exercise and not really interacting with anyone at all.

Eventually I went for a 2 mile run on Thursday. I felt great afterwards its amazing what a difference it makes, even just to get out for 20 mins.

I took yesterday off then did the same route again today. I think we are very lucky to be able to do this given other countries in lockdown don't have this opportunity.

Hopefully people respect the spirit of the guidelines and we continue to have the freedom to get out for a short run every day,

I'd encourage everyone to keep trying to get at least some activity in as its a great metal as well as physical boost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,875 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Had an incident on Saturday in our local park, out walking with my family, my wife with a newborn in a pram and myself behind her with two of the older kids on the main avenue in St. Annes park in Raheny.

A runner refused to give way and ran straight at my wife and the pram leaving her a few mm of room, she was unsure which way to go to avoid him, on to the grass verge or further out to the middle of the avenue, as he ran towards her she realised he wasn't going to give way so she pushed the pram on to the grass to give room, but it was very close and he was sweating and panting hard. There was plenty of room for him to move in to the main avenue, but he was intent on maintaining his course, very tall man, over 6' tall running hard and taking no quarter, a collision would have been very messy.

There were a few comments from other park users about his conduct but there's not much to do or say in these situations, he was gone after a few seconds.

To risky for any of us to get sick with a breast feeding mother, a newborn and other small kids, we're shopping for my elderly parents and our elderly neighbours too so we've abandoned the park for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I assume in his head you cant catch it by running past someone so he doesn't see an issue. Everyone is working off different expectations I guess. I run onto the road myself when I come to people, more so cause not every makes room on the path and I dont want to get near them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,875 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

IvoryTower wrote: »
    I assume in his head you cant catch it by running past someone so he doesn't see an issue. Everyone is working off different expectations I guess. I run onto the road myself when I come to people, more so cause not every makes room on the path and I dont want to get near them

I skateboard in the park with the older kids and as the fitter, faster, more mobile park users we make way and pick up the boards, move to the grass to give quarter for slower moving people be them elders, people with small kids or buggies. Skateboards don't go on grass, but just like you, we make way and keep a respectable distance long before we meet fellow park users to avoid confusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭4Ad

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Had an incident on Saturday in our local park, out walking with my family, my wife with a newborn in a pram and myself behind her with two of the older kids on the main avenue in St. Annes park in Raheny.

A runner refused to give way and ran straight at my wife and the pram leaving her a few mm of room, she was unsure which way to go to avoid him, on to the grass verge or further out to the middle of the avenue, as he ran towards her she realised he wasn't going to give way so she pushed the pram on to the grass to give room, but it was very close and he was sweating and panting hard. There was plenty of room for him to move in to the main avenue, but he was intent on maintaining his course, very tall man, over 6' tall running hard and taking no quarter, a collision would have been very messy.

There were a few comments from other park users about his conduct but there's not much to do or say in these situations, he was gone after a few seconds.

To risky for any of us to get sick with a breast feeding mother, a newborn and other small kids, we're shopping for my elderly parents and our elderly neighbours too so we've abandoned the park for now.

A f##king dickhead. I bet he is one of those runners that has the left hand twitch, he just has to keep looking at speed, distance,heart rate etc..I'm a runner so I feel like I can comment.
    He's still a dickhead (and bully)..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

IvoryTower wrote:

I'm not sure it matters whether he thinks he will pass it on or not. Even when there isn't a pandemic, if you're running towards a family of buggies, jaysus make an effort to be the proactive one and get out of the way. The guy sounds like a jackass.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Despite him being a general idiot in the way he was running through the park by all accounts, on the infecting someone by running past them (if he was even thinking about that which is doubtful) the WHO would agree that it's not going to happen.

https://twitter.com/tomwilliams1974/status/1243987954034520064?s=19

• Advertisement

That's good to know I definitely feel anxious running past people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I don't think people really mind people running, I go running a lot but I might just reduce it to a short walk for the next few weeks. We are all in this together.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

That's good to know I definitely feel anxious running past people.

But it is very important that we are seen to be excessively cautious when passing people. Despite the risk of picking it up or passing it on being negligible, by showing extreme caution it serves to make sure that everyone then carries out social distancing in their other interactions as well.

If people think that runners are not taking it seriously then we'll lose it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I don't think people really mind people running, I go running a lot but I might just reduce it to a short walk for the next few weeks. We are all in this together.

Some do mind people running. You can read it in this very thread. And there was a letter in the Irish Times yesterday from someone complaining about runners in general and claiming they had been bumped into 3 times by runners in a single walk (which I find very hard to believe, to be honest).

I have no doubt that the vast majority of runners are behaving in a completely responsible manner. There will always be d*ckheads out there, but they are small minority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I have no doubt that the vast majority of runners are behaving in a completely responsible manner. There will always be d*ckheads out there, but they are small minority.

And to add to that there are as many d*ck head regular folk as there are runners. Seems to me we're all getting tarred with the single brush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I think this whole thing has shown us there's a lot of dcikheads out there who are like spoiled children who can't accept no as an answer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

If people don't want people passing them walking or running where they expect the other to take a wide birth onto grass or roads they probably should stay away from areas that have a small footpaths like river walks etc.

If people want to go for runs I think they should make the extra effort and get it done before the mass people are up. Did 14km easy this morning and saw 3 walkers and 1 runner. Only asking for trouble going out later in the day.

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    If people don't want people passing them walking or running where they expect the other to take a wide birth onto grass or roads they probably should stay away from areas that have a small footpaths like river walks etc.

If people want to go for runs I think they should make the extra effort and get it done before the mass people are up. Did 14km easy this morning and saw 3 walkers and 1 runner. Only asking for trouble going out later in the day.

The advice from Cork County Board applies here. Did you really need to run 14km.

https://www.corkathletics.org/news/1670-editorial-do-you-really-need-to-get-out.html

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭R.F.

I’m not sure what to do. I feel nervous about going out for a run as I fear it will be frowned upon. I did a long run Friday evening thankfully just before lockdown was announced and rested yesterday. But was due to go for short run today.

R.F. wrote: »
    I’m not sure what to do. I feel nervous about going out for a run as I fear it will be frowned upon. I did a long run Friday evening thankfully just before lockdown was announced and rested yesterday. But was due to go for short run today.

Everyone run/walk but the advice is to keep it brief.

The selfish idiots amongst us think 14km is brief exercise.

• Advertisement

Everyone can run/walk but the advice is to keep it brief.

They don't grasp that the longer you are out running/walking the risk of spread increases due to the fact that you are more likely to have interactions with others.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Butterbeans

Let people frown, that's on them not you. As long as you adhere to the guidelines and keep a minimum of 2 metres from people you meet, you are perfectly entitled to be out for a run.
    As others have posted also, I give an extra wide berth (as much space as is possible) to anyone I meet when out running. You'll always have some who won't find that acceptable, but again that's their issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

The advice from Cork County Board applies here. Did you really need to run 14km.

Never knew Cork Athletics were the authoritive figures in this country. Think I'll stick to government guidelines.

You didn't answer my previous question by the way.

What is the purpose of going out for a 10 minute run? If people were genuinely being limited to that then it would be better off telling people to not leave the house under any circumstances, food rations would be delivered to your doorstep and the only exercise would be running up and down the stairs.

A 10 minute run is of no use. A half hour walk around the block would be better than a 10 minute run.

robinph wrote: »
    What is the purpose of going out for a 10 minute run? If people were genuinely being limited to that then it would be better off telling people to not leave the house under any circumstances, food rations would be delivered to your doorstep and the only exercise would be running up and down the stairs.

A 10 minute run is of no use. A half hour walk around the block would be better than a 10 minute run.

So take a 30min walk. The reason exercise is allowed in the first place is to keep people healthy and sane. It has not been included in the guidelines so that Training programs be continued.

A 10min run or 30min walk will keep you healthy and sane. We should enjoy it while we can because in the coming weeks Outdoor Exercise will be completely restricted.

There is nothing stopping people exercising in their home for as long as they like.

I like going for a 15km walk or 5km run but it's not possible anymore. If you walk in your home for 2-3hrs you can get some miles in . It's not ideal but in a few weeks this will be the only option people will have.

I plan on doing a fat selfish 10 miles around a football pitch today if I can survive the boredom.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

SeeMoreBut wrote: »

The poster who said they went for a 14km run said they got up early and went out when few people were out. That's not selfish. It's perfectly sensible.

How long do you think it takes a lot of people to run 14km? (not me obvs , it takes me half a day :pac:. )

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Consider me selfish, 8.5 mile workout yesterday all within 1km of the house*

*It was 11.30 pm and not another sinner around so I think in terms of risk of transmission probably a little lower than my essential stop at petrol station on the past few days

So take a 30min walk. The reason exercise is allowed in the first place is to keep people healthy and sane. It has not been included in the guidelines so that Training programs be continued.

A 10min run or 30min walk will keep you healthy and sane. We should enjoy it while we can because in the coming weeks Outdoor Exercise will be completely restricted.

There is nothing stopping people exercising in their home for as long as they like.

I like going for a 15km walk or 5km run but it's not possible anymore. If you walk in your home for 2-3hrs you can get some miles in . It's not ideal but in a few weeks this will be the only option people will have.

And the problem with a 30 minute run against a 30 minute walk is?

• Advertisement

And the problem with a 30 minute run against a 30 minute walk is?

The poster RobinPh said a 30min walk was better than a 10min run so I said take the walk.

The restriction is 2km. It is not 30min.

The poster RobinPh said a 30min walk was better than a 10min run so I said take the walk.

The restriction is 2km. It is not 30min.

The restriction is no more than 2km from your home, not distance or time.

The restriction is no more than 2km from your home, not distance or time.

That's your interpretation so that you can get more miles in. The guideline didn't mean that you can run around for infinity as long as your within a 2km radius of your home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

That's your interpretation so that you can get more miles in.

They said a 2km radius from your home. They did not say a 2km walk or run. Your inability to comprehend basic English is astonishing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

That's your interpretation so that you can get more miles in.

No... That is the rule. You can go out and run all you like, alone.. once you stay within 2km radius of your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Going out and running “all you like” is hardly brief, is it?

• Advertisement

EDit wrote: »

Well said. There's a handful here who don't understand the word Brief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

EDit wrote: »

Define brief? Last month I was getting out for 6-7hr mountain runs/hikes... So 1 hr is brief in comparison? Who knows.

What is the issue with somebody going out to run for an hour vs 30 mins? If the distance themselves from anyone they pass... How does a time limit lessen the spread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

I’m not a runner. I walk a lot.
    Mostly I haven’t had a problem with runners. In parks or on footpaths, roads and streets generally they or I can make room so no problem for me.

Major problem with cars parking on footpaths.
    Reduce space so no room to ensure 2 metre gap if Some is coming the other direction and lthe possibility that contaminated droplets surviving on hard surface.

Major problem with people cycling on foothpaths
    Also guilty of huffing and puffing, travelling at speed so impossible for them to ensure passing at 2 metre distance.

Illegal activity at the best of times.
    Dangerous at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

They haven’t defined brief. TBH, if everyone starts running and cycling (there is an equivalent thread about the restrictions and impact on cycling) around in circles for hours on end then they will have no choice but to define it. The sooner the better IMO as it will stop people interpreting it to fit their own needs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

1 less hour of this drivel today

• Advertisement
Advertisement