Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My God, it's full of stars!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

That's a binder I'd love to read!!!! Sounds very interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

tunney wrote: »

Two things for sure - the only way to get better at suffering is to suffer. Also that suffering hurts (but feels good).

Amen to that. There's nothing like the immediacy of being in the hurting zone to appreciate being alive in the moment. And then you miss it when its gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Was reading that this morning. Interesting stuff alright.

''Ireland is cold, that is why I'm fat'' :)

Time to eat my own dog food.

• Advertisement

So its been about 5-6 years since I really truly felt motivated to train. As time goes on I've been finding myself slowly getting more and more motivated again. I'm not back at that level of motivation and willingness to suffer and sacrifice but its getting there.

Running a severe calorie deficit at the moment and on an hour easy run with Tango at lunch I bonked. Thankfully I had expected it and had brought a gel with me.

Getting excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

We need to talk!! :eek: :eek:

350905.png

Garmin Connect gets populated and maintained because of the auto upload.
    Trainingpeaks because I have not broken away from WKO3.0 despite trainingpeaks only being useful to coaches and even then to substitute technology for involvement in their clients training.

Strava - just cannot be arsed maintaining that account, it gives little to the more running inclined.

https://www.strava.com/activities/318039968

Windy day. Lots of runners.

• Advertisement

Eoin picked up a bug in playschool. He *loves* his little brother and slobbers all over him. Surprise surprise two sick kids. not much but whingy at night. Normally not a problem. However 3 weeks ago I ripped the floors up in their room, ripped the wardrobes out and started getting carpet down, building IKEA furniture(12 house on one Saturday) and so one. Problem being with two beds and one room gone we now five five people, two rooms and two sick. Combined with stress from work sleep hasn't happened this week. Yesterday bunk beds arrived and I started assemling at 2000, 0200 finished and then bed. 0630 kids woke, noticed bunkbeds on way to toilet and came in to tell us. Course we ****ing know there are bunkbeds, no there is not a bunk bed fairy.

Now shattered, fecked. Only two doors to plane and rehang and the room is done.........

2iqe0n.jpg

https://www.strava.com/activities/318775206

Legs heavy and blocked. The lack of sleep and awkward positions for long periods of time building the bunk beds left my hip flexors in tatters.

Five person house.
    At present
    #two ear infections
    #three chest infections
    #two confirmed viral tonsillitis
    #two suspected viral tonsillitis
    #one tummy bug
    #one car crash (no injuries but dead car)
    #one major project delivery

fvcking great week.

Still sick as a dog.
    Fecking brutal day in work. So brutal I either went to the offy or for a run. Struggled through 6km.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

Good man. The sickness and stress will pass, and when it does all those 6k runs will be worth something, the offy is worth nothing.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Those beds are a pure b*stard to make. (As in change sheets). Enjoy.

Oryx wrote: »
    Those beds are a pure b*stard to make. (As in change sheets). Enjoy.

LOL discovered that as I had to lift the mattresses off to get the sheets on. Saves so much room though having them stacked. She loves being high up, him having "his own cave"

Meetings upon meetings. Resigned myself to a day of nothing as lunch looked like it would not happen. Found 35 minutes, stretched it to 40 and squeezed 30 minutes easy in.

Antibotics are wrecking me. Got home last night and really wanted to do something but wiped out. Last day of these and only a few more days of steroids.

May be playing a GAA match on Sunday. While hungover after the script. Not played with the big ball since I was 12 and not the small ball for a decade.

Coming home from work last night I was eager to get home to see the kids so I was going hammer and tongs. Track stand at a set of lights into a sprint and something mechanical went wrong. Dumped on the ground, hard and head first. As I lay there dazed and confused I noticed the 20+ cycles just cycling by. Finally someone picked me up and took me to the side of the road - turns out to be a former colleague. He helped me home and today I am very sore - road rash and neck and shoulder pains. Not a great trip home.

One of the lads I help was scheduled to come over last night to talk through his final prep for IM Austria. Did not want to cancel so he came over anyways, walked through a detailed race execution plan and preparation plan (cannot believe he wasn't going to drive the course), and then serviced his bike. Excited for him, a little bit of luck and he should have a cracker of a race.

• Advertisement

You can't catch a break.....unreal

Maybe those 20 cyclists follow this log... it'd be more humane at this stage to just leave you as roadkill;)

Kharma has to start working for you pretty soon, hope today isn't too sore.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

If you were swearing maybe they were afraid to stop. Or maybe they knew you from the cycling forum. ;)

Seriously though, sorry to hear this. Hope there are no major ill effects from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Ouch. Speedy Recovery. That's hard to believe so many passed you by on the deck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

That's s**t luck, sorry to hear it Tunney. Hope it's nothing too serious and that you're back on your feet and on the saddle soon.

Second turbo of the year.
    Ouchie. Although I can see what I loved the turbo

CIIiKHUWwAAiVkK.jpg

Easy run pace- I want to ask your thoughts on this here rather than in private, as not enough gets discussed about run form/pace/cadence.

What is easy pace? And how should it be run? My easy pace (5:30/km) seems a lot slower than yours (and others). I realise I'm judging run pace from remembered marathon training, and that maybe Tri training doesn't need such slow "easy" runs (in that recovery is often bike-based).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    Easy run pace- I want to ask your thoughts on this here rather than in private, as not enough gets discussed about run form/pace/cadence.

What is easy pace? And how should it be run? My easy pace (5:30/km) seems a lot slower than yours (and others). I realise I'm judging run pace from remembered marathon training, and that maybe Tri training doesn't need such slow "easy" runs (in that recovery is often bike-based).

Would you not allow HR to determine your easy pace rather than a 'pace'?

That to me seems to be the biggest issue with runners in general, that they determine workouts by pace rather than effort or body reaction.

Your easy pace on Monday when fresh(er) will be quicker than Friday's easy pace after a long work week IMO.

A single data point is not a good idea IMO. Multiple data points would be better. For me I run off HR, RPE and pace - keeping an eye to each of them to keep me honest

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Kurt_Godel wrote: »

he can probably copy and paste the discussion i had with him on the very same topic last year.

AKW is right though. easy pace isn't pace related as such. last year my easy pace was around the same as yours, 5:20 to 5:30. that's where my HR was in the easy zone.

this year i can hold 4:50 on a normal day and be at the same HR. however, at the end of a 3 week build, or after a tough session the day before, that would be too fast, and i'd need to pull back. on a good day, i could be flying aorund at 4:40 and still be in easy zone.

figured out easy was more about the effort level than the pace. took a while though

Advertisement