Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My God, it's full of stars!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

Using (just) HR to determine "easy" pace seems a little like run-specific advice to me (could well be wrong). As in "easy"="recovery", whereas Tri recovery will often be a less-strenous bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    Using (just) HR to determine "easy" pace seems a little like run-specific advice to me (could well be wrong). As in "easy"="recovery", whereas Tri recovery will often be a less-strenous bike.

You did ask about easy running :confused:

pgibbo wrote: »
    You did ask about easy running :confused:

Yeah, but specifically about easy running for Tri training. As opposed to easy running for Run training (where I can see the benefits more of low HR jogs).

Edit- to put it another way, if you are running 7 days a week, some will be low HR recovery runs- "easy" runs. If you are running only 4 times a week (Tri training) less "recovery" runs are needed, so "easy" pace might mean something faster than recovery pace.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Yeah, but specifically about easy running for Tri training. As opposed to easy running for Run training (where I can see the benefits more of low HR jogs).

Edit- to put it another way, if you are running 7 days a week, some will be low HR recovery runs- "easy" runs. If you are running only 4 times a week (Tri training) less "recovery" runs are needed, so "easy" pace might mean something faster than recovery pace.

i have a different HR zone for recovery runs and easy runs, and the paces would scale as well. recovery runs would (or rather should ) be much slower than easy runs

I usually only ever run 4 times a week and rarely on consecutive days. Hence I don't have a recovery run pace. I just run off easy - mix of HR zone 2, RPE & pace.

I recently ran for 12 days out of 14. Although my legs were tired at the end of the 2 weeks I still only ran easy. Perhaps if I persisted with running so frequently I would have had to consider a recovery pace.

As an aside, my easy pace got faster over the 14 days but that was probably heat acclimatisation though rather than fitness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

All depends on your definitions.

These are the ones I work to according to TGATT:

Efforts |Perceived effort scale |HR zones (LTHR)
    Recovery| No real effort, could do for very long periods, can converse easily |0-81%
    Easy |A comfortable pace, conversation still easy, could do for long periods |82-88%
    Steady| Slightly challenging, conversation possible but laboured| 89-93%
    Mod hard |Challenging, conversation would be in broken sentences |94-100%
    Hard |Uncomfortable, could not talk |100-105%
    All out |Max effort for duration described |105% +

TGATT????

No comment form Mr Tunney? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

pgibbo wrote: »
    TGATT????

No comment form Mr Tunney? :pac:

The Gospel According To ThomasTunney

Plenty of comments to make, not time. Coming later

tunney wrote: »
    The Gospel According To ThomasTunney

"There is neither Jog nor Gallop, there is neither steady nor fast, there is no moderate or easy, for you are all one in Christ Jesus"

Was all kitted out for an hours easy spin last night and it started to drizzle.
    I stopped and said "Right, turbo for me".

Glenda (pretty much actual words) : "HTFU princess, you used to go riding in -20, get out the door".

As I went out the door with my tail between my legs the best response I could give was "-7 was the coldest"

Nice spin.

CIXwhqNWEAAZV1y.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Gotta love ur Mrs!

Week in Review - #27 22/6/15-28/6/15

Swim time: 0:00
    Swim dist: 0km
    Bike time: 2:41
    Bike dist: 75km
    Run time: 4:50
    Run dist: 46.9km
    Total time: 6:35

Not the week I had expected. Saturday and Sunday ended up being days off and that hurt the biking. Friday night I was stripping and cleaning my drive train. Torque wrench for putting SRMs back on. 12nm, two turns each side until clicks and thats it. One side took way more than the other. "Bit weird" I thought. If I was doing regular bike maintenance I would have realised what was happening and stopped. But I didn't. Metal fatigue and head of the bolt came off. Bolt stuck in the very expensive SRMs. Friday night and Saturday spent researching and buying bolt extractors and drill bits for a sh1t day of drilling and similar. Went into Halfords to look at car seat back packs for the kids for holidays in France where we are renting cars. Out of the corner of my eye saw a 1mm pliers. Bought that too and while I was sitting outside a kids birthday party for two hours in the car I fixed the SRMs with it. (Not a perv or anything - Aoibhe has a potentially fatal peanut allergy and so at birthday parties one of us sits nearby with the adrenline pens and the rest of the drugs - at least for the parties where we don't know the parents well enough to give them the stuff).
    Bike was moved to Sunday now it was fixed. Then the car broke. Ended up driving across the country and bike to drop Glenda and kids to her parents and have to leave the car in today.
    To be fair as far as my excuses for missing training go - fairly reasonable.Happy enough with the week - especially the 0500 start for the Friday long run. Onwards!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Eh :confused: A picture, training numbers, training comments, happy with a session..

What is this log coming too? :pac:

Eh :confused: A picture, training numbers, training comments, happy with a session..

What is this log coming too? :pac:

Another one to join in with the rowing, social media updates & horse logs ?

Meetings made for a tight window of opportunity. Got out in the sunshine for 30 minutes easy. Would be nice if my office was near some Silfen paths so my lunch runs could be more varied in nature.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/335367922
    Time: 0:31:00
    Dist: 6.35km
    AHR: 152bpm
    Avg pace : 04:53

Choice was crisps and wine or spin on the bike. My second or third spin over an hour long of the year. Nice weather. Nearly stopped to take a picture for Mike
    https://www.strava.com/activities/335721598
    Time: 2:17:35
    Dist: 68.9km
    AHR: 144bpm
    Avg speed: 30.0kph
    AP: 184watts
    NP: 206watts

Just for Mike.
    Cracking weather here.
    CIxAzc9WIAAUhc3.jpg

Very very warm lunch run. Definitely found HR elevated in heat. Runners everywhere. Weather wasn't the only cracking thing #bratops
    https://www.strava.com/activities/336073464
    Time: 44:52
    Dist: 9.24 km
    Avg Pace: 4:51 min/km
    AHR: 159 bpm
    Avg Cadence: 182 spm

Spin after work. First time around the lakes and Sally Gap in years - literally. Huge amount of power meter drop outs in the city centre. Makes you wonder about the EM fields we are exposed to on a daily basis.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/336435844
    Time: 3:35:44
    Dist: 90.08 km
    AHR: 148 bpm
    AP: 160w
    NP: 185 w

Shattered and rolled into bed. Not a wink of sleep.

A run a lunch. Easy with fast bursts. Legs were heavy and sluggish. Which was good as it forced me to think about my technique "qlutes, hip flexors, hamstring - hips forward".
    Not as nice weather, not as many people and zero eye candy
    https://www.strava.com/activities/336826820
    Time: 45:03
    Dist: 9.05 km
    Avg Pace: 4:59 min/km
    AHR: 155 bpm
    Avg Cad: 179 spm

Spin after work, Sally Gap and Blessington again. Nice ride, 1/30 the riders out there. Passed one on the Templeogue Road. A few km later he came past me like a steam train. The hugely rocking shoulders *suggested* it was all show and he couldn't hold the pace. 20 consistently paced metres later I went around him to dirty scowls. Another km later the same thing. Annoyed at the twat at this stage I put in a TT effort to get rid of him. Coming onto the feather beds similar, someone came by me "mind if I sit in? I asked. "No problem" Thought I'd get dragged home. I dropped off on a steep ramp and said "thanks". Thought he ride into the sunset. Nope all show again and caught soon enough. I remember being told many moons ago "Catch slowly, pass decisively." Okay thats for races but thats what these lads were treating a spin as.
    A lot easier ride today as (a) I was less "scared" of a longer ride and (b) no cvnt of a head wind from Kippure on. Again a night of no sleep. Cortisol probably keeping me awake for a while and then the poxy hands waking me at 0500.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/337155781
    Time: 4:01:17
    Dist: 105.23 km
    AHR: 144 bpm
    AP: 158w
    NP: 188w

Tired today.

Bike in, gear in, have the time. So so tempted to go for a long spin. Legs are borked and I'm tired and I really should finish some work stuff off now. So calling it a day.

Easy run at lunch. Nothing to report. Bar some kids I thought were drowning. Was not impressed at the idea of cramping swimming to them. Thankfully they were just being dicks.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/337522589
    Time: 45:00
    Dist: 9km
    Avg pace: 500 min/km
    Avg HR : 146bpm

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

What's the story with this becoming a training log?

• Advertisement

What's the story with this becoming a training log?

Looked at my weekly training numbers for the last two years. I get back into it or forget it completely - SRMs not as good a deal for Fran now as the batteries need changing.

I never used to do rest days. I didn't see the point. That was when I was fit and trained. I am neither now. So today is a rest day and I will continue to schedule one until I am fit enough for active recovery to be a viable option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

I never used to do rest days. I didn't see the point. That was when I was fit and trained. I am neither now. So today is a rest day and I will continue to schedule one until I am fit enough for active recovery to be a viable option.

Do you not think that active recovery days could bring you on more? They really take zero effort and blow off an cobwebs to help with being in a better position for the next day. I never looked at active recovery as something you have to be fit enough to do as the effort level is so low. What's your full thinking behind not doing them?

Week 28

Swim dist: 0km
    Swim time: 0:00
    Bike dist: 264km
    Bike time: 9:55
    Run dist: 33.2km
    Run time: 2:46
    Total time: 12:41

A better week but still room for improvement.

Unfortunately I managed to spill half a litre of engine oil in my best pair of runners (newish Mizuno Wave Riders 18s) I tried cleaning them with a hose and Fairy liquid but I suspect that they are dead. Annoying. A 5L drum of oil in the boot fell over and landed on them and slowly drip driped oil into them.

Do you not think that active recovery days could bring you on more? They really take zero effort and blow off an cobwebs to help with being in a better position for the next day. I never looked at active recovery as something you have to be fit enough to do as the effort level is so low. What's your full thinking behind not doing them?

I suppose I was more talking about running active recovery. Cycling yes agreed its fine as active recovery regardless.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Unfortunately I managed to spill half a litre of engine oil in my best pair of runners (newish Mizuno Wave Riders 18s) I tried cleaning them with a hose and Fairy liquid but I suspect that they are dead. Annoying. A 5L drum of oil in the boot fell over and landed on them and slowly drip driped oil into them.
    As a last resort, you could try Rock oil SOC or similar degreaser. It may dissolve the shoe, but worth trying if theyre dead anyway. Dont wash em in a machine or the machine will stink of oil forevermore.

Oryx wrote: »
    As a last resort, you could try Rock oil SOC or similar degreaser. It may dissolve the shoe, but worth trying if theyre dead anyway. Dont wash em in a machine or the machine will stink of oil forevermore.

Yeah, thankfully I thought of the impact on the machine before I got kicked around.

I *might* just try and return them to the shop as "they were this way when I got them".

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Yeah, thankfully I thought of the impact on the machine before I got kicked around.

I *might* just try and return them to the shop as "they were this way when I got them".

I work in retail. We hate guys like you. Also, turps mixed with wash up liquid was our hand cleaner of choice in college... maybe try that.

Oryx wrote: »
    I work in retail. We hate guys like you. Also, turps mixed with wash up liquid was our hand cleaner of choice in college... maybe try that.

Ridiculous. Retailer claims not covered by warranty so had to order another pair :)

Seriously though I don't think I'll ever get all the oil out and worried that could get some manky rash or something on them. Will wait until next house party, bring runners to the party, and then put a wash on there.

• Advertisement

Ridiculous. Retailer claims not covered by warranty so had to order another pair :)

Don't know which retailer you've been speaking to......

I was investigating the lack of a warning on the box "Do not mix with 5ltr of oil" :D

Advertisement