Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Menu

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Works for me on that page.
    I mean that no matter what forum you click to nav away from that page it doesn't work.
    XP with Firefox 3.0.10
    Nerin wrote: »
    i never even knew about that albums set up :confused:
    Neither did I until I started looking for things to break.
    What's that all about?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Boston wrote: »
    The current nav system is far better, but only if you already know where you want to go. The new one should make it easier to use for the casual user who hasn't a clue.

I'd have to agree, the current NAV is fine if you know where everything is, for new users its confusing as feck and because of this ALOT of new and even old users for that matter are not aware of different forums.

This presents the forums in a much clearer way that hopefully should allow new users to branch out more and discover other forums other then After Hours :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Not a hope. I got two threads asking about athlone today. One querying the existance / non existance of a sex shop and the other asking whether it's a good place to go out in.
    Athlone. Two threads. In the space of 20 minutes.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I mean that no matter what forum you click to nav away from that page it doesn't work.
    XP with Firefox 3.0.10

Neither did I until I started looking for things to break.
    What's that all about?

Yeah I got that. When ever you click a forum link it tries to go to albums.boards.ie/etc. Shouldn't be that hard to sort.
    Cabaal wrote: »
    I'd have to agree, the current NAV is fine if you know where everything is, for new users its confusing as feck and because of this ALOT of new and even old users for that matter are not aware of different forums.

This presents the forums in a much clearer way that hopefully should allow new users to branch out more and discover other forums other then After Hours :D

It makes finding subforums easier, that's for sure. Ross, would you not include the forum search thing that you have on one of the skins. It would sit quite nicely under the search option.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Cabaal wrote: »
    [EDIT] Can you make the Beta theme dark btw as bright/white themes suck ;)

Ditto. I want to start using my cloud skin again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I keep on scrolling up to use the menu and forgetting that I don't need to scroll up anymore, just goes to show how handy a scrolling menu is to me.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Ditto. I want to start using my cloud skin again.
    Committed users wouldn't leave it for the menu :P

Jonathan wrote: »
    Committed users wouldn't leave it for the menu :P
    I'm tempted to go back to it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

• Registered Users Posts: 53,907 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

just to say this new beta style is the bee's knees

I wont be going back

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

When you view a single post the menu disappears.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I'm not too keen on it tbh, it's very...busy
    Maybe if the menu drop-downs had some tranparency, or the menus themselves weren't so large it would be better.

I'm sure it'll be improved though, and do like the idea

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

[-0-] wrote: »
    When you view a single post the menu disappears.
    Pretty sure it does that with all styles

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Cool, great feedback peeps, keep it coming. We'll be feedback to you about fixes etc over the coming days/weeks. Obviously Ross needs to sleep and eat so it will be office hours...

DeV.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

DeVore wrote: »
    Obviously Ross needs to sleep and eat
    Pfft..

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Pretty sure it does that with all styles

Yes, however this style is the only style that has the top menu static regardless of where you're looking on the page, so I believe it should show when viewing single posts too. It requires you to view the full thread to see the menu, which isn't really that efficient.

Only issue I've found so far. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

Thanks for the initial round of feedback, we're considering the first revision now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Click this link to get back to the White theme
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/index.php?styleid=1

++ edit
    Beat ya both! :D

Scien wrote: »
    I changed to the new menu last night on my NC10 and now i cant get back to the old one.
    When i hover over the 'boards.ie' menu on the top left the new menu only shows me as far as 'new forums' forum.
    Anyone got any ideas of how to see the rest of the drop down menu?
    Old menu.

EDIT: feck ya random

EDIT EDIT: beat ya gordon :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Scien wrote: »
    I changed to the new menu last night on my NC10 and now i cant get back to the old one.
    When i hover over the 'boards.ie' menu on the top left the new menu only shows me as far as 'new forums' forum.
    Anyone got any ideas of how to see the rest of the drop down menu?
    Go to the very bottom of this page to the dropdown on the bottom left hand side corner and select the correct skin. I think White is the default.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

Right, so I'm not reading three pages worth of comments so apologies if already mentioned. I am liking the new menu (especially that it stays up top) but I don't like that my subbed list has a whole bunch of things listed in the left column and then one thing listed in the right column. Can it be set up to balance individually to the user? Ta!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

I have changed back to normal.
    It's distracting when replying with quick reply, if you have to use spellcheck because if the pointer even glances off the menu it drops down.
    And as it is so big now it is slightly annoying.
    That's my only gripe with it though,I really liked it until i had to spellcheck.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I do agree that any touch causes the menu to drop and it doesnt move away as quick. Search is terrible for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

Yeah, I had set the timing incorrectly, have altered it slightly now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I think it's a little too slow to load now!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

eoin wrote: »
    Indeed. Might be worth (if possible) having just the search heading with a slow timer. :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Liking the look of the new menu!

Not sure if I'll keep it, but so far so good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

eoin wrote: »

I think its better this way, as its less sensitive. Especially when switching tabs etc. it used to load very quickly.

Good work Ross :)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement