Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Menu

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

The transition to faceboards is coming along nicely :p

It's great the fugly scrollbars are gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Im really liking it, Vista ultimate + ie7 latest update 1650*1080 and no issues at all for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

I think most minor niggles ahve been mentioned above

Great job Ross, I really like the feel of the thing and minor colour issues aside I will stick with it I reckon

Vista Ultimate, FF3

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

New menu looks good. I didn't like the sound of the menu bar scrolling with the page simply because every site that does it seems to implement it in a very annoying way where it bounces when it moves (can't really explain it any better). Luckily this one doesn't. Fair play, Ross.

Everything seems fine for me using Windows 7 Beta build 7000, firefox 3.0.1.0 @ 1920x1200. I'll see what it's like on my netbook later. Oh and we really need this for the cloud skin. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

darjeeling wrote: »
    I like it. One thing is that the new menu bar doesn't seem to appear on the front page (i.e. going to http://boards.ie/?filter=subbed etc.). Apart from that, it's great.

Aha - and there it is now! Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Forgot to mention, works fine on Mac OS 10.5 1280x800.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Something I've noticed :

When navigating to a 'most recent post', or similar, the navigation bar covers what should be at the top of the page.

e.g. http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=60313069#post60313069

^^ I can't see the date and post number without scrolling up. Need to compensate for the height of the bar somehow.

FF3 / Ubuntu9.04

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Has the subscribers forum vanished from the Sys drop down menu?

Also..

I see the widths of the menu items have been normalised. Much better!

And I'm the same as Blowfish seeing Arts, Games and Hosted hugging the left of the page (on Ubuntu 9.04, FF3 @ 1280x800) -- though I don't really notice with Arts, that's close enough to the left anyway).

Screenshot of the Games menu attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

copacetic wrote: »
    IE8, premium vista and 1280x800.

the subbed and science drop downs are one column wide for me and display correctly just below the name.

Music is one column + one entry for traditional in second column for me and displays docked on left.

All the others are wide enough so that the either jump off the left or right side of screen anyway.

This issue with Music drop down is now fixed for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

eVeNtInE wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Severs & Systems?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Takes up far too much room on my laptop screen. grand on a proper monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

This issue with Music drop down is now fixed for me.
    Still there for me, though Music was never a problem, but others were.

Screenie from Vista work machine showing Regional as right aligned. Maximised accross 2 monitors as it makes it more obvious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Initial impressions are that I don't like it. It seems to overcomplicate which is already a pretty simple navigation system.

The actual menu links along the top do look much better though.

Note that I have only tried it on a 10in notebook though.

Making the text uber-tiny I can see alignment problems with :

Arts, Games, Hosted, Rec, Regional, Soc and Sports. They're either aligned fully left or fully right.

Ubuntu 9.04, FF3, 1280x800. (and, you know, everyone uses Linux. Right?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Random wrote: »
    Initial impressions are that I don't like it. It seems to overcomplicate which is already a pretty simple navigation system.

The actual menu links along the top do look much better though.

Note that I have only tried it on a 10in notebook though.

The current nav system is far better, but only if you already know where you want to go. The new one should make it easier to use for the casual user who hasn't a clue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

Goodshape wrote: »
    Making the text uber-tiny I can see alignment problems with :

Arts, Games, Hosted, Rec, Regional, Soc and Sports. They're either aligned fully left or fully right.

Ubuntu 9.04, FF3, 1280x800. (and, you know, everyone uses Linux. Right?)
    That's how they're supposed to show; couldn't come up with another solution for aligning them without making the menu static-width. Otherwise they'd spill off the right of the screen :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Ah I see. I saw you moved the rec popup around. My only problem with it is that After Hours is now far over there in the corner. Before it was rec-movemouse half of a cm->After Hours. Now we are being penalised for our alphabetical superiority.
    Like it though. Keeps it like the old and solves a lot of the problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

A minor point is that when you do a text search (in both IE and FF) and zoom to the word you're after, it can appear at the top of the screen, hidden under the menu bar layer, so you need to scroll to find it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Where does one find the Subscribers Forum now?
    /I have done a search,just can't find it.

EDIT:
    Never mind I found it after a bit of detective work, under Subbed Forums.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Ah I see. I saw you moved the rec popup around. My only problem with it is that After Hours is now far over there in the corner. Before it was rec-movemouse half of a cm->After Hours. Now we are being penalised for our alphabetical superiority.
    Like it though. Keeps it like the old and solves a lot of the problems.
    Name change to Mafter hours

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Ross wrote: »
    That's how they're supposed to show; couldn't come up with another solution for aligning them without making the menu static-width. Otherwise they'd spill off the right of the screen :)

You were right, there is no problem with them hitting right or left when they are still under their grouping. All the ones that don't reach the edge now stay under their heading for me now which is the main thing.

I'm really liking it. Small issue is that when moving between PCs I keep having to reselect it as my style. It doesn't seem to stick.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I'm really liking it. Small issue is that when moving between PCs I keep having to reselect it as my style. It doesn't seem to stick.

To keep it as your permanent style you'll need to go to your UserCP under Options and save it as default there.

I guess vBulletin is just setting a cookie, it's pretty vague from a user perspective.

CuLT wrote: »
    To keep it as your permanent style you'll need to go to your UserCP under Options and save it as default there.

I guess vBulletin is just setting a cookie, it's pretty vague from a user perspective.

duh, my bad, I never used the bottom thing before until you mentioned it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Oh here's something maybe useful.
    Here:
    http://albums.boards.ie/showgallery.php/cat/501/
    The dropdown menus don't work.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Here:
    Works for me on that page.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Here:
    i never even knew about that albums set up :confused:

Works for me on that page.

me too. IE8/Vista

edit - no it doesn't re clarification below, drop down happens but links don't work as they appear
    to be relative links. Eg snacks and sweets tries to go to
    http://albums.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=505

and gets a 404.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Just switched, its pretty nice to start with, much clearer in my view much easier find stuff and know what sections a forum belongs to.

Will keep using and update in future :)

Using Firefox 3.0.10 on Windows 2000,

[EDIT] Can you make the Beta theme dark btw as bright/white themes suck ;)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement