Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭eko

Got my first two 2.1 errors today.

First was a Front Assist warning, saying that Front Assist was not available, but it went away after about 10 minutes of driving.

Second was the pesky Lane Assist; it kept thinking the hard-shoulder of the dual carriageway was closer than it really was and kept pushing the car nearly into the other lane! The HUD / augmented display showed a big yellow line right across my own lane, as if it decided that something was cutting across from the edge of the road. I had to turn off Lane Assist. I turned it back on about 20 minutes later and it worked fine.

It was quite frosty this morning (used the app to defrost the front windows), so not sure if this affected the sensors. Where are the sensors (cameras?) for Lane Assist on the car?

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

eko wrote: »
    Got my first two 2.1 errors today.

First was a Front Assist warning, saying that Front Assist was not available, but it went away after about 10 minutes of driving.

Think something similar happened with my ID4 the other day. I jumped in the car and put it in drive and set off within seconds. A few errors popped up saying X y and z were not available, but cleared within a few seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 lowkeys

Hi, Good to read these threads about the VW ID3. I'm getting a replacement company car and seriously considering the ID3, my concern is that about 3 days a week I will be travelling into dublin approx 220km return mostly on motorway. Do you think the car is easily capable of this in hot or cold or even normal weather conditions? Also is it a comfortable car for long journeys? Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭McHonda

Hi, I noticed on cold wet days I would use 30% battery on my 100km return commute to Dublin at around 100kph. In winter I would expect range to be around 300km at 100kph. Some people will get more some less

McHonda wrote: »
    Hi, I noticed on cold wet days I would use 30% battery on my 100km return commute to Dublin at around 100kph. In winter I would expect range to be around 300km at 100kph. Some people will get more some less

Thanks McHonda. Appreciate that and it has eased my concerns. If i have 300km range give or take it allows me to get to work and back and a quick trip into the local town with plenty of tolerance for weather etc. Think I'll go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭rx8

lowkeys wrote: »
    Hi, Good to read these threads about the VW ID3. I'm getting a replacement company car and seriously considering the ID3, my concern is that about 3 days a week I will be travelling into dublin approx 220km return mostly on motorway. Do you think the car is easily capable of this in hot or cold or even normal weather conditions? Also is it a comfortable car for long journeys? Thanks for the advice.

You would have no problem doing 300km at motorway speed. So nothing to worry about on a 220km trip. Comfort is one of the best things about the ID3. Go do a test drive as soon as possible and you will be really surprised and put at ease by it. No need for any range anxiety at all.

rx8 wrote: »
    You would have no problem doing 300km at motorway speed. So nothing to worry about on a 220km trip. Comfort is one of the best things about the ID3. Go do a test drive as soon as possible and you will be really surprised and put at ease by it. No need for any range anxiety at all.

That's comforting to hear. I've never had need to browse the EV forum and it has been a help in increasing my knowledge from zero. I've had a lot of negative reactions from the majority of colleagues and family members when I tell them I'm considering electric- albeit that none of them have any experience with electric so nice to get feedback and see comments from people that are actually driving EV's particularly the ID3. I'll go for a test drive during the week.

If you are going to go electric, then you need to embrace it fully because the last thing you will want is to have friends and family saying "I told you not to " when you have a bit of range anxiety.
    A bit of forward planning beforehand, like changing your electricity supplier, getting a home charger installed and getting a night rate meter in will make your EV journey a doddle. Also if your company is supplying the car, then try to get then to put a charger in too. They can claim capital allowance on it and basically it's nett zero cost to do.
    Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭eagerv

In the coldest weather with battery heating I reckon 300km is a little optimistic at motorway speeds. Slow down a little and preheat car and should be achievable.

Totally different now, I have done 270km since last charge to 100% and still shows 120km available. Mixture of small bit of Motorway, remainder slower roads and town driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 imPhilip

Does anyone know when the id.3 with the 45 kWh battery be available here. I seen the city and style have been added to Volkswagen UK site, but not yet showing on the Irish site

• Advertisement

eagerv wrote: »
    In the coldest weather with battery heating I reckon 300km is a little optimistic at motorway speeds. Slow down a little and preheat car and should be achievable.
    Heading west out the M4/M6 will have a nice impact on range too.
    There are a lot of these cars hovering around the 300km range and I have every confidence they'd get from Galway to Dublin but not so confident in the perfect storm of high winds and very cold weather that they get from Dublin to Galway.
    It could be mitigated somewhat by charging just before going on trip to keep the battery warm and heat the interior.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Heading west out the M4/M6 will have a nice impact on range too.
    There are a lot of these cars hovering around the 300km range and I have every confidence they'd get from Galway to Dublin but not so confident in the perfect storm of high winds and very cold weather that they get from Dublin to Galway.
    It could be mitigated somewhat by charging just before going on trip to keep the battery warm and heat the interior.

At least the journey home will be easy with the wind behind you :)

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

At least the journey home will be easy with the wind behind you :)

Worst comes to worst hoist the sail on the land yacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Cody OHare

My ID3 shows range in KM's but the WE Connect ID shows range in Miles.

On We Connect ID how do I change the range from Miles to KM.

tx

• Registered Users Posts: 27,845 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Cody OHare wrote: »
    My ID3 shows range in KM's but the WE Connect ID shows range in Miles.

On We Connect ID how do I change the range from Miles to KM.

tx

Change the system language on your phone to English (Ireland)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Cody OHare

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Change the system language on your phone to English (Ireland)
    Perfect fix. TX

I got an error this afternoon saying that the e-sim is not recognised. The App won't update the charge level on the car now. Anyone else get this.??

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

I got an error this afternoon saying that the e-sim is not recognised. The App won't update the charge level on the car now. Anyone else get this.??

Yep, had it a few times today but it was intermittent. The soc in the app is correct. I thing I def noticed today is that the rain sensor has clearly packed up. The intermittent setting doesn’t work...

Yep, had it a few times today but it was intermittent. The soc in the app is correct. I thing I def noticed today is that the rain sensor has clearly packed up. The intermittent setting doesn’t work...

Now that you mention it, there was some light rain earlier and I had trouble getting it to work too. Just used the lever to work it manually.
    Could be a software issue.

Now that you mention it, there was some light rain earlier and I had trouble getting it to work too. Just used the lever to work it manually.

Hm, maybe it’s software related. I had a quick search in the 1st movers club and there was quite a few post related to the rain sensor but most from the autumn 2020. Some did mention the software but it was probably before the 2.0 update. I booked the car in the dealership today and he asked me when the problem manifested itself - I said today, as we had pissing rain all day. The setting doesn’t work at all even at 100km/h. I know the setting is speed dependent but there was 0 movement from the wipers. It was dry for a few weeks and the rain sensor obviously wasn’t used so I didn’t notice anything. Maybe this “feature” was introduced after the 2.1 update? The light sensor def works...

• Advertisement

There's rain due tomorrow, so I'll keep an eye on it and if it's not doing it's thing then I'll report it.

There's rain due tomorrow, so I'll keep an eye on it and if it's not doing it's thing then I'll report it.

I’ll need to do a return trip cork Dublin again tomorrow, surely it’ll rain somewhere;)

It used to be a safety issue on many cars that you had to manually operate the auto wipers after turning on ignition. Then they would work automatically. I think the ID.3 wipers work automatically upon pressing the brake pedal but must pay attention next time there is rain..

It used to be a safety issue on many cars that you had to manually operate the auto wipers after turning on ignition. Then they would work automatically. I think the ID.3 wipers work automatically upon pressing the brake pedal but must pay attention next time there is rain..

They auto wipers worked perfectly until today. I can’t exclude that the software update is the cause of the malfunction as it was really dry last month so I can’t remember when the last time I used it - before or after the update.

They auto wipers worked perfectly until today. I can’t exclude that the software update is the cause of the malfunction as it was really dry last month so I can’t remember when the last time I used it - before or after the update.

Yes, not sure if I have used mine much since update.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Yes, not sure if I have used mine much since update.

My automatic wipers never worked until I got the update to 2.1, I didn't get the 2.0 update. They have worked perfectly since and were working today, I also got the eSim error.

I had to turn off automatic wipers on the central panel to get the manual mode to work properly.

The e-sim error seems to have resolved itself now. I switched the Internet connection off and back on on the car and now the App is working fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

The e-sim error seems to have resolved itself now. I switched the Internet connection off and back on on the car and now the App is working fine.

I used to work in computer hardware testing and I can assure you that turning it off and on again is a valid fix for most problems :)

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Mr Q

This seems to vary from person to person. I use the ID.3 mainly for commuting and can't get 300km from a full charge, with no motorway driving. Average speed in the mid 70's, Eco mode, no heavy traffic and preheated in the morning.

Based on some of the comments here I am starting to think there is something wrong with mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,077 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I thing I def noticed today is that the rain sensor has clearly packed up. The intermittent setting doesn’t work...
    Hm, maybe it’s software related. I had a quick search in the 1st movers club and there was quite a few post related to the rain sensor but most from the autumn 2020. Some did mention the software but it was probably before the 2.0 update. I booked the car in the dealership today and he asked me when the problem manifested itself - I said today, as we had pissing rain all day. The setting doesn’t work at all even at 100km/h. I know the setting is speed dependent but there was 0 movement from the wipers. It was dry for a few weeks and the rain sensor obviously wasn’t used so I didn’t notice anything. Maybe this “feature” was introduced after the 2.1 update? The light sensor def works...
    My automatic wipers never worked until I got the update to 2.1, I didn't get the 2.0 update. They have worked perfectly since and were working today, I also got the eSim error.

I had to turn off automatic wipers on the central panel to get the manual mode to work properly.

Wipers have always been perfect for me on 1.0, 2.0 and also on 2.1.

They fired up first thing this morning. Just started the car, wipers came on automatically before I got through the gate!

Advertisement