Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭DermoMIO

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I've decided its time to change the eGolf - love the car, hate the restrictions with range. Was fine when working remotely and doing very little driving but when all opens up again, I'm back to useing the ICE for long spins and I really really hate driving it. Rang the VW garage where I bought it to get a proper quote for an ID3 (or Audi/Seat/Skoka under VW finance) and all salesmen are off until Monday? Never heard the like before. Going to ring others now. I presume with Volksvagen PCP I can buy in any VW garage? Any idea how this works?

Hi I got my eGolf with one of the two Dublin dealers and spent 2 weeks in February going back & forth with dealers across the country trying to get a deal done on an ID3 only Cork & Waterford would commit to doing business and ended up with Cork, your PCP is with VW Bank rather then the dealer so all you need is what you owe on the current PCP when making your trade and they will do the paper work

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

DermoMIO wrote: »
    Hi I got my eGolf with one of the two Dublin dealers and spent 2 weeks in February going back & forth with dealers across the country trying to get a deal done on an ID3 only Cork & Waterford would commit to doing business and ended up with Cork, your PCP is with VW Bank rather then the dealer so all you need is what you owe on the current PCP when making your trade and they will do the paper work

I'm in the midlands so thankfully there's a good few dealers around to try. I rang the garage i bought the eGolf off and all the salesmen are off until Monday!! I'll try them again then. Great life!!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Patmwgs

We have taken the plunge and got the id3 life model with silver metallic paint. I would of loved the alloy wheels but not at any price.

Patmwgs wrote: »
    We have taken the plunge and got the id3 life model with silver metallic paint. I would of loved the alloy wheels but not at any price.

Nice one, you can add alloys later.

Nice one, you can add alloys later.

Thanks, we also looked at the corsa e but they came in a thousand less value on our trade in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,004 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Thanks, we also looked at the corsa e but they came in a thousand less value on our trade in.

Wow, I presume that wasn't the basic spec Corsa E as it seems a good bit cheaper?

EDIT: Misread your post, thought the ID.3 was cheaper than the Corsa E :)

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭eagerv

Well done, how long is the wait?

The plastic trims can look quite good with a bit of wrap..
    See #6413

I don't think they're wrapped. I think they are the hubcaps from the exterior style pack which are the exact same as the standard hubcaps except spokes are sprayed black by the wheel trim supplier.
    The exterior style package is just chrome strips instead of black, vinyl diamonds on the c-pillar and sprayed wheel trims made in the same mold as the standard ones. Probably costs them 10 euro extra in total and they charge 600 quid for the pack.

I don't think they're wrapped. I think they are the hubcaps from the exterior style pack which are the exact same as the standard hubcaps except spokes are sprayed black by the wheel trim supplier.
    The exterior style package is just chrome strips instead of black, vinyl diamonds on the c-pillar and sprayed wheel trims made in the same mold as the standard ones. Probably costs them 10 euro extra in total and they charge 600 quid for the pack.

However they are done they give the car wheels a lift. Should be standard like that..

eagerv wrote: »
    However they are done they give the car wheels a lift. Should be standard like that..

Its in stock so about a week to sort grant and all paperwork.

• Advertisement

I wrangled floor mats and mudflaps out of them to sweeten the deal.

In Germany you'd be able to get the dealer to order the hubcaps at the same time as the car order was being placed. I agree they look much better than the standard.
    A lot of the manufacturers are doing this with the exact same hubcap coming in plain grey or with black accents. It seems to simplify the supply chain while extorting money from the customer.
    According to this thread the bi-colour wheel caps cost €43.50 each. elsewhere the uni-colour wheel trims are reported as costing 39 to 40 euro each.
    https://www.goingelectric.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=393&t=58664&p=1383399&hilit=radkappen#p1383399

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It seems to simplify the supply chain while extorting money from the customer.

It's not extortion, you can choose not to pay for for a cosmetically different wheel. It's just plain old fashioned upselling.

liamog wrote: »
    It's not extortion, you can choose not to pay for for a cosmetically different wheel. It's just plain old fashioned upselling.
    It is the aesthetic equivalent of defacing the car by keying the outside of the car or paying them 600 quid not to key it before it leaves the factory.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It is the aesthetic equivalent of defacing the car by keying the outside of the car or paying them 600 quid not to key it before it leaves the factory.

Neither of which equates to obtaining money by threat of, or use of force. Paying extra for nicer wheels is one of the most common practices in the auto industry.

Are all you id3 owners happy so far with the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,903 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I've only done 2500km and love the car. Huge step up from my Golf.

Six and a half months on, still look forward to every drive. Great car...

I was hoping that was the case. When i had the test drive is when i was sold. I have a Home charger ordered.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,004 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I was hoping that was the case. When i had the test drive is when i was sold. I have a Home charger ordered.

Same thing happened to me with my Leaf, I went for a test drive hoping that I'd lose interest in driving an EV. By the end of the test drive I was convinced to buy it, never want to drive an ICE car again :)

Unless it's got a V8, I might make an exception in that case :D

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement

[HTML][/HTML]
    Same thing happened to me with my Leaf, I went for a test drive hoping that I'd lose interest in driving an EV. By the end of the test drive I was convinced to buy it, never want to drive an ICE car again :)

Unless it's got a V8, I might make an exception in that case :D

I know someone with a leaf and they love it too. I have access to a massey 35 for nostalgia.
    Anyone recommend good seat covers for the sprogs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Can anyone recommend a home charger? Seems to be a huge number of options. I'm getting an ID3 as a company car so won't be able to get the grant for the charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,903 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Can anyone recommend a home charger? Seems to be a huge number of options. I'm getting an ID3 as a company car so won't be able to get the grant for the charger.

I got a tethered EO mini. It's basic but does the job. It was €1300 after all the extras. I believe I could have gotten non tethered for €1000-1100.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭cloudhopper19

Great to hear people are loving their ID3's. I was a long time golf driver, switched to T-Roc last time round and hate it. Really interested in the ID3 but still a year to go on my PCP.

You will probably get more replies on some of the Home Charging threads, but my advice is to go for as simple a charge point as possible unless you really need all the bells and whistles (Solar, Apps, etc.) Also, IMO, having a cable attached (Tethered) makes it a lot more convenient.

We got a Zappi2, which we bought because it looked likely at the time we would be installing solar soon. This, for other reasons, now looks less likely. Our Zappi packed up after about 11 months use and we are still awaiting a replacement (7 weeks today). Just got an email 1 hour ago to say that it has finally been released by Irish Customs..

So even though MyEnergia (Zappi) are a great company to deal with, I would be reluctant to buy now from a UK based company.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

You will probably get more replies on some of the Home Charging threads, but my advice is to go for as simple a charge point as possible unless you really need all the bells and whistles (Solar, Apps, etc.) Also, IMO, having a cable attached (Tethered) makes it a lot more convenient.

We got a Zappi2, which we bought because it looked likely at the time we would be installing solar soon. This, for other reasons, now looks less likely. Our Zappi packed up after about 11 months use and we are still awaiting a replacement (7 weeks today). Just got an email 1 hour ago to say that it has finally been released by Irish Customs..

So even though MyEnergia (Zappi) are a great company to deal with, I would be reluctant to buy now from a UK based company.

I bought my Zappi from electric autos in 2018. The price was only a few Euros higher than direct from Myenergi, but the delivery was significantly faster as it was in stock here in Ireland. I could have collected it from Phil's place, but delivery was very cheap.

Complaint about Zappi here; https://youtu.be/hUq-aZSJjAM?t=89 and also discussed in youtube comments below. Charger isn't being blamed but if your car doesn't like the charger that is no consolation to you.

Complaint about Zappi here; https://youtu.be/hUq-aZSJjAM?t=89 and also discussed in youtube comments below. Charger isn't being blamed but if your car doesn't like the charger that is no consolation to you.

Had no problems charging either of our EVs. Just the unit packed up..

I bought my Zappi from electric autos in 2018. The price was only a few Euros higher than direct from Myenergi, but the delivery was significantly faster as it was in stock here in Ireland. I could have collected it from Phil's place, but delivery was very cheap.

I was just unlucky my parcel was delayed, some get here fast others have had a longer wait..
    At least our Ioniq charges easily with the 10A granny on overnight rates. With my ID.3 I try to charge when passing a fast charger usually once weekly, at least using up a bit of my free Ionity.:). So with almost no pleasure driving the wait hasn't been a serious problem..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

coward wrote: »
    Yeah, that is annoying. Hard to see how that feature passed testing! The 3-month software update release cycle to the customer is too long - at least initially when bugs like this exist.

I tried a timed charge last night. Just setting a "preferred times". I know night-rate ends at 9am now but I needed the car sooner.

At the start the battery was at 45%. I guess it tries to be smart and finish the charging near the end of my preferred time. Nothing happens for the first few hours after 12:00. (I have immediate charge set to 0%). It was charging around 4:30am until 7:55. It started with a rate of 23km/h. Dropped to 12km/h. Finished at around 27km/h. Without timed charging I would get a fairly steady 29km/h.

The battery charge finished with 69%. Way off the 80% which it should have reached.

Slightly better than having to plug-in close to midnight for night-rate.

Things I will try:

+ Set charge immediately to 50%. Hopefully it starts at 12:00 and brings it up to 50% so that the latter charge period can do a bit more.

+ Define two charge periods during the night - maybe not finishing a bit of both will leave it with a higher charge than just a single charge period?

I'm only using the supplied cable, which for the 1st is marked as a 20A cable. Usually see about 29km/h in the app. For those of you with 32A cables, what charging rate do you see in the app?

548569.jpg

You're having more success that I did with out ID.4 last night. Started at ~25%, scheduled between midnight and 6am. I've an energy monitor on our house power, so I can see it started up around midnight but stopped after 20 minutes. Then this morning around 6.30 I went out to the car and just sat inside to see were the settings wrong or anything, and the car started charging... outside the scheduled time. It stopped 30 minutes later at 7.10am. Went outside and unplugged and plugged it in again, and the charge port flashed to say it's scheduled. Entered the car and set a 2nd timer for 6am-9am and instantly it started charging again until we needed the car at ~8am.

My settings are similar to yours. Charge immediately to 0%. I understood that as "if I plug in at this location, immediately start charging up to 50%", which I don't want.

Apologies if you've added to this, I searched the thread and only found this post... so far.

Advertisement