Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Mr Q wrote: »
    This seems to vary from person to person. I use the ID.3 mainly for commuting and can't get 300km from a full charge, with no motorway driving. Average speed in the mid 70's, Eco mode, no heavy traffic and preheated in the morning.

Based on some of the comments here I am starting to think there is something wrong with mine.

What do you get?

And how long is your commute? If you are doing lots of short commutes you wont get as far as one long commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mr Q

KCross wrote: »
    What do you get?

And how long is your commute? If you are doing lots of short commutes you wont get as far as one long commute.

40km each way. Very rarely see less than 20kWh/100 km

80km return uses 30% or close battery normally

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I find that poor consumption is normally a hardware fault. It's all down to the nut that holds the steering wheel. :D:P

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

Completed 1st leg of my journey. Cork to Cashel, used up 48% of the battery , consumption 20.9, av speed 100km/h (122 indicated, 119 gps on motorway from glanmire junction, 1h travel time. Arrived with 29%, charging at 6km/h (an 50kW). And yes, pissing rin all the way. Stats are still no good as I won't make 200km on motorway speeds. The battery capacity is still under question as all my recent calculations indicate that I have ab 43kWh available which is not good!

Completed 1st leg of my journey. Cork to Cashel, used up 48% of the battery , consumption 20.9, av speed 100km/h (122 indicated, 119 gps on motorway from glanmire junction, 1h travel time. Arrived with 29%, charging at 6km/h (an 50kW). And yes, pissing rin all the way. Stats are still no good as I won't make 200km on motorway speeds. The battery capacity is still under question as all my recent calculations indicate that I have ab 43kWh available which is not good!

• Advertisement

The battery capacity is still under question as all my recent calculations indicate that I have ab 43kWh available which is not good!

Your best method for confirming that is to run the battery to "empty" and then charge it at home to full and have a meter on it to test what actually gets delivered to the car. Its not a perfect test but its accurate enough to within a few percentage points.

Trying to test capacity by driving it has too many variables that are out of your control. Test the capacity by charging it on AC, VW cant argue with that.

If the charging test shows you have a 58kWh battery then your next step is to see if you have brakes or something like that sticking and holding the car back or an overactive heater or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Patmwgs

Had you fully charged it to 100% before journey?
    I got my id3 last friday.

40km each way. Very rarely see less than 20kWh/100 km

80km return uses 30% or close battery normally

About right I'd say.

I did a Cork-Dublin run, drove it all at 120km/h (GPS) at 8°C and I used 42% for the first 100km. I was down to 15% left at 200km's driven. Had another ~50km's left in the tank.

Your 30% for 80km's gives you about a 250km range also but you are doing it across multiple commutes so you are burning additional energy for reheating the cabin so its in the right ball park I'd say.

It will improve from here as the temps rise into the summer.

+ if the battery is preheating on your return trip that will consume more energy. It will most likely pre-heat off the mains when plugged in but I wonder if it's like the i3 where the battery won't preheat unless it's plugged in with a depart timer set ?

Worth getting one of the OBD monitoring dongles and software Bjorn uses to monitor all that.

About right I'd say.

I did a Cork-Dublin run, drove it all at 120km/h (GPS) at 8°C and I used 42% for the first 100km. I was down to 15% left at 200km's driven. Had another ~50km's left in the tank.

Your 30% for 80km's gives you about a 250km range also but you are doing it across multiple commutes so you are burning additional energy for reheating the cabin so its in the right ball park I'd say.

It will improve from here as the temps rise into the summer.

Same journey today used 48% at 9C, rain and 119gps speed.

• Advertisement

Just completed the second leg of the journey to Dublin. Stats started from Cashel with 255km@85% range, arrived with 82km@22% (figures taken with heating off), 152km from Cashel, 1h26min, 104kmh average (110kmh gps), temp 11C, dry but damp roads, 18.7kWh/100km. So used 28.4kWh. Total so far 252km, 2h29min, average speed 102kmh, consumption 19.6kWh/100km. Total used 49.4kWh, total soc used 111%.

Patmwgs wrote: »
    Had you fully charged it to 100% before journey?
    I got my id3 last friday.

No, had it at 80% as planned to charge at ionity anyway (need to run down that €600 credit).

Your best method for confirming that is to run the battery to "empty" and then charge it at home to full and have a meter on it to test what actually gets delivered to the car. Its not a perfect test but its accurate enough to within a few percentage points.

Trying to test capacity by driving it has too many variables that are out of your control. Test the capacity by charging it on AC, VW cant argue with that.

If the charging test shows you have a 58kWh battery then your next step is to see if you have brakes or something like that sticking and holding the car back or an overactive heater or something.

Yes, I probably should do it one day. At the moment don't have time to mess with the car that much:)

After 7 months of ownership, tinted the back of the car with 70%. Baby will be much happier:)

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

No, had it at 80% as planned to charge at ionity anyway (need to run down that €600 credit).

Speaking of credit -- i'm not on facebook but there was some rumblings that on their 'first movers' group that VW suggested that they were looking into extending the 600EUR credit due to Europe being in lockdown for the last year - anyone seen any more info on this or if it is going to happen/not?

Speaking of credit -- i'm not on facebook but there was some rumblings that on their 'first movers' group that VW suggested that they were looking into extending the 600EUR credit due to Europe being in lockdown for the last year - anyone seen any more info on this or if it is going to happen/not?

They are looking alright. Nothing concrete though.
    On other note ionity is getting busier. My id.3 1st, ID.3 Pro life and a classic ioniq just pulled in.

They are looking alright. Nothing concrete though.
    On other note ionity is getting busier. My id.3 1st, ID.3 Pro life and a classic ioniq just pulled in.

We are going to need a lot more charging points soon, a very good sign that there is alot more faith in ev's. A lot of adds on the tv lately aswell. Windows look very well. I need to swop your alloys for my steel ones, postcode welcomed.😂

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ROSSWATSON

I can't get We Charge Credit activated on the We Connect app so am in dialogue with VW techies. I have an email from Customer Support saying 1st Movers credit INITIATION extended to 30th June.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,902 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

ROSSWATSON wrote: »
    I can't get We Charge Credit activated on the We Connect app so am in dialogue with VW techies. I have an email from Customer Support saying 1st Movers credit INITIATION extended to 30th June.

It's not worked since you collected the car last year?

Just completed the second leg of the journey to Dublin. Stats started from Cashel with 255km@85% range, arrived with 82km@22% (figures taken with heating off), 152km from Cashel, 1h26min, 104kmh average (110kmh gps), temp 11C, dry but damp roads, 18.7kWh/100km. So used 28.4kWh. Total so far 252km, 2h29min, average speed 102kmh, consumption 19.6kWh/100km. Total used 49.4kWh, total soc used 111%.
    TLDR!!! I probably should tabulate the data but writing on my phone so...
    After a few errands in Dublin arrived to ionity kill south with 14% and started charging at 93kW. This is relatively low as previously I had 98kW and 102kW there at higher SOC. Stats for leg 2 were 182km @ 89kmh, travel time 2h01min, consumption 18.1kWh/100km, dry, ab 11C. Total 282km@92kmh, 3h04min, 19.1kWh/100km. 53.9kWh used with 119% of soc used. I charged from 14% to 80% over 30 min, 34kWh in total. At this ionity I met a guy who was travelling to cork on his ID.3 life so I caught up with him later at ionity Cashel. The leg 3 from ionity kill to Cashel I drove at 128kmh (125kmh gps) where possible. 137km @ 115kmh, travel time 1h11min, consumption 20.1kWh/100km, dry, ab 10C. Total 420km@98kmh, 4h16min, 19.5kWh/100km. Arrived with 19% SOC and 55km range so in total for 3 legs 81.9kWh used with 180% of soc used. I charged at ionity Cashel a few times but I never got there decent charging speed, although I could only estimate it as the charges do not show the charging speed. So at 19% I was getting 7km/min which is probably under 65kW (I regularly get 6km/min at 50kW esb chargers). I also compared the "since charge" stats with the ID.3 life. He was travelling at 110kmh (probably ab 103 gps) and for the same distance travelled his consumption was 16.9kWh/100km @ 100kmh while mine was 20.1@115kmh (see photos) . So I used 4.4kWh more for 12 min less travel time or 19% more consumption to reduce travel time by 15%. Probably not worth it:)
    Charged from 19% to 60% in 16 min (20.5kWh but with heating on). GOM showed 168km range. The leg 4 from ionity Cashel to home I again drove at 128kmh (125kmh gps) where possible (had to detour from Mitchelstown exit to Fermoy via old N8 due to roadworks). Stats for leg 4 were 100km @ 100kmh, travel time 1h00min, consumption 19.8kWh/100km, dry, ab 10C. Total 520km@99kmh, 5h17min, 19.6kWh/100km. Total charging time over 3 sessions 80min for 81.3kWh or 61kW av charging speed. Arrived with 18% SOC and 65km range so in total for 4 legs 102kWh used with 222% of soc used which is similar to my previous trip a few weeks ago. In the evening I spent 1h to run down the battery to 1% but this is for another day when I finally get the charging report to 100% from my wallbox.

• Advertisement

TitianGerm wrote: »
    It's not worked since you collected the car last year?
    Didn't need i it as car has hardly moved since I got it on 30 Sept. Tried activating in March before the original 31st deadline but get "Oops!" error in the app on my Android phone. App talks to car OK to show state of charge and range. VW having no success in resolving and have gone very quiet lately. Will ask them to send me out an activated We Charge card with the credit on it if not resolved before June deadline.

Didn't need i it as car has hardly moved since I got it on 30 Sept. Tried activating in March before the original 31st deadline but get "Oops!" error in the app on my Android phone. App talks to car OK to show state of charge and range. VW having no success in resolving and have gone very quiet lately. Will ask them to send me out an activated We Charge card with the credit on it if not resolved before June deadline.

I had a similar issue and VW support could not fix it but were still trying. Towards the end of March the deadline to register was almost up. So I tried it on a few other phones until it worked on one.

It now shows up as it should on my own phone after registering on another.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

TLDR!!! I probably should tabulate the data but writing on my phone so...
    After a few errands in Dublin arrived to ionity kill south with 14% and started charging at 93kW. This is relatively low as previously I had 98kW and 102kW there at higher SOC. Stats for leg 2 were 182km @ 89kmh, travel time 2h01min, consumption 18.1kWh/100km, dry, ab 11C. Total 282km@92kmh, 3h04min, 19.1kWh/100km. 53.9kWh used with 119% of soc used. I charged from 14% to 80% over 30 min, 34kWh in total. At this ionity I met a guy who was travelling to cork on his ID.3 life so I caught up with him later at ionity Cashel. The leg 3 from ionity kill to Cashel I drove at 128kmh (125kmh gps) where possible. 137km @ 115kmh, travel time 1h11min, consumption 20.1kWh/100km, dry, ab 10C. Total 420km@98kmh, 4h16min, 19.5kWh/100km. Arrived with 19% SOC and 55km range so in total for 3 legs 81.9kWh used with 180% of soc used. I charged at ionity Cashel a few times but I never got there decent charging speed, although I could only estimate it as the charges do not show the charging speed. So at 19% I was getting 7km/min which is probably under 65kW (I regularly get 6km/min at 50kW esb chargers). I also compared the "since charge" stats with the ID.3 life. He was travelling at 110kmh (probably ab 103 gps) and for the same distance travelled his consumption was 16.9kWh/100km @ 100kmh while mine was 20.1@115kmh (see photos) . So I used 4.4kWh more for 12 min less travel time or 19% more consumption to reduce travel time by 15%. Probably not worth it:)
    Charged from 19% to 60% in 16 min (20.5kWh but with heating on). GOM showed 168km range. The leg 4 from ionity Cashel to home I again drove at 128kmh (125kmh gps) where possible (had to detour from Mitchelstown exit to Fermoy via old N8 due to roadworks). Stats for leg 4 were 100km @ 100kmh, travel time 1h00min, consumption 19.8kWh/100km, dry, ab 10C. Total 520km@99kmh, 5h17min, 19.6kWh/100km. Total charging time over 3 sessions 80min for 81.3kWh or 61kW av charging speed. Arrived with 18% SOC and 65km range so in total for 4 legs 102kWh used with 222% of soc used which is similar to my previous trip a few weeks ago. In the evening I spent 1h to run down the battery to 1% but this is for another day when I finally get the charging report to 100% from my wallbox.

Thanks for the post, very informative,

I will be staying with a phev for a long time, 80 minutes is too long, what you save compared to my own crappy car with 7l/100km and only using the cheaper ecars high power rate is not worth it. IMO.

@ Mr Q

Interesting. Did you re-register on the We Connect app on the other phones or just Sign In? I've tried the latter on my wife's phone but got same Oops! message on hers too. Any idea which phone actually worked? And was it Android or iPhone? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭McHonda

Back in September when I tried to activate on android wouldn't work for me. Eventually got it to activate on an iPad so I assume iPhone would be good too. Surprised they haven't resolved this over 6 months later.

Edit: on reflection they have had a few software issues to sort

@ Mr Q

Interesting. Did you re-register on the We Connect app on the other phones or just Sign In? I've tried the latter on my wife's phone but got same Oops! message on hers too. Any idea which phone actually worked? And was it Android or iPhone? Cheers.

Worked on an iPhone in the end for me. Downloaded the app and signed in as I had already registered on my own phone. Worked straight away on that phone

Worked on an iPhone in the end for me. Downloaded the app and signed in as I had already registered on my own phone. Worked straight away on that phone
    Thanks for the tips, guys ! I'll get hold of my son's iPhone in the morning.

Thanks for the tips, guys ! I'll get hold of my son's iPhone in the morning.
    @Mr G
    Activated We Charge card on iPhone as you suggested - many thanks for the tip.
    Will inform VW that they can deflect my team of 100 techs onto another problem now.
    And as a non-commuting retired cocooner, I can now justify the odd essential trip to Ionity M1
    for coffee and top-up - any excuse for a drive, YIPPEE !

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

They’re extending the usage period for the free charging credit up to 15 months.

Dear First Movers,

We have been following your conversations and discussions regarding the We Charge charging credit very closely.

One thing we are aware of is that many of you have not been able to use the charging credit as planned due to the travel restrictions in place locally due to Covid-19.

Today, we are happy to inform you that in addition to the extension for the activation period of the exclusive ID.3 1st Edition charging plan (We Charge Plus) until June 30, 2021, the Volkswagen Group has also decided to extend the period of use for the charging credit for another three months.

ID.3 1st Edition customers can now use the 2000 kWh charging credit (up to a maximum of 600 euros) for 15 months (instead of the previous 12 months) from activation.

We would also like to take this opportunity to say “Thank you!” for your great support and the many suggestions you have shared with us over the past months.

Best wishes, stay safe and enjoy the spring,

Your Volkswagen ID. Team

• Advertisement

Does anybody know if the tiguan spare wheel fits the id3?

Advertisement