Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

Can anyone recommend a home charger? Seems to be a huge number of options. I'm getting an ID3 as a company car so won't be able to get the grant for the charger.

I have a 32A tethered wallbox pulsar plus with load balancing, app support, scheduling etc. Works without any problems, total cost was €1300 (before grant).

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭bodgerfederer

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I've decided its time to change the eGolf - love the car, hate the restrictions with range. Was fine when working remotely and doing very little driving but when all opens up again, I'm back to useing the ICE for long spins and I really really hate driving it. Rang the VW garage where I bought it to get a proper quote for an ID3 (or Audi/Seat/Skoka under VW finance) and all salesmen are off until Monday? Never heard the like before. Going to ring others now. I presume with Volksvagen PCP I can buy in any VW garage? Any idea how this works?

Oldest is heading to UL in September (all going well) so could be frequent trips there which is a 250kms round trip for me. I was down that way with work yesterday and called into Birdhill to charge and neither CCS chargers were working - only Chademo. Thankfully I had plenty of range left and went to Limerick but if i hadn't I was in bother. This has happened too many times to me now so its either back to ICE or more range.

Willing to put up with the software issues for now as they will be sorted eventually, hopefully!!!

i think you should start a new thread if/when you pull the trigger on this! i've been stalking the ID3 threads with a similar mind to trade in the egolf. i'd love to get the opinions of someone who has done exactly this.

i love my egolf, if it had another 100km range i don't think that i would ever even consider getting rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Hi folks,

If anyone is having timed charge problems with their car, can you please log the problem with your dealer so that they can log it in their system. VW are denying there is any problem with the ID car timers... but there is. They need to know how much of a problem. Then they might actually do something about it.

Cross posting this to both ID threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

I have a 32A tethered wallbox pulsar plus with load balancing, app support, scheduling etc. Works without any problems, total cost was €1300 (before grant).

Any chance you could message me where you got that installed from?

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

Hi folks,

If anyone is having timed charge problems with their car, can you please log the problem with your dealer so that they can log it in their system. VW are denying there is any problem with the ID car timers... but there is. They need to know how much of a problem. Then they might actually do something about it.

Volkswagen ID in the 1st movers club admitted there’s a problem. They claim it’ll be fixed in the future update.

• Advertisement

Volkswagen ID in the 1st movers club admitted there’s a problem. They claim it’ll be fixed in the future update.

Oh really?

Here's a reply to my dealer regarding my issues with using the charge timers in the ID.3.

“Regarding the timed charging, I really don’t think there is anything we can do considering it is a system external to the vehicle being relied on and not the vehicle own charging timers.

I am aware of the various information spouted around the internet in face book groups, forums and other source but these do not over rule the state od design of a vehicle.”

Doesn't sound like they admit to anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Patmwgs

Can anyone recommend a home charger? Seems to be a huge number of options. I'm getting an ID3 as a company car so won't be able to get the grant for the charger.

I ordered the sync ev charger and ct clamp, i have wind a turbine, cost about 530 sterling.
    A cheaper tethered charger with not much electronics to go wrong would suit you better. The eo mini has Good reviews . The only thing about the cheaper ones is your electrician will have to add more protective gear.

• Moderators Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Oh really?

Here's a reply to my dealer regarding my issues with using the charge timers in the ID.3.

“Regarding the timed charging, I really don’t think there is anything we can do considering it is a system external to the vehicle being relied on and not the vehicle own charging timers.

I am aware of the various information spouted around the internet in face book groups, forums and other source but these do not over rule the state od design of a vehicle.”

That's VWs response to you, yeah? So they're blaming your charge point rather than the timers in the car? I assume they're ignoring an the hands on experience you've gathered while charging, and just saying "nah, it's on you".

"Future update" is very loose. Are the series models (non 1st edition) id3 available to buy yet? Whatever about the 1st models being a bit buggy, if the mass consumer models are buggy that's awful.

That's VWs response to you, yeah? So they're blaming your charge point rather than the timers in the car? I assume they're ignoring an the hands on experience you've gathered while charging, and just saying "nah, it's on you".

"Future update" is very loose. Are the series models (non 1st edition) id3 available to buy yet? Whatever about the 1st models being a bit buggy, if the mass consumer models are buggy that's awful.
    Yes there are 3 models available

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭alfa_aficionado

Just wondering if anyone who's gotten the 2.1 update is still having issues with the key disconnecting from the car, needing the door to be opened manually using the built-in physical key?

I asked earlier but no-one replied so not sure if it's a widespread issue.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Oh really?

That was a snarky reply from him/her. You are wasting your time interacting with that individual. They have your money, thats all they care about.

The bottomline is the timers are not reliable. Its a fundamental part of an EV so you can be sure it will be fixed... when is the question!

Are the series models (non 1st edition) id3 available to buy yet? Whatever about the 1st models being a bit buggy, if the mass consumer models are buggy that's awful.

There wont be any difference. Its a software issue. Series models and 1st editions have the same software now.... 2.1.

Just wondering if anyone who's gotten the 2.1 update is still having issues with the key disconnecting from the car, needing the door to be opened manually using the built-in physical key?

Not yet anyway!
    Are you sure you are on 2.1?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,004 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Hi folks,

Would it be worth emailing VW customer service directly as well? Hop over the usual "not our problem" response from the dealership?

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭eagerv

I had the problem a few times before the update, but since 2.1 all good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭alfa_aficionado

eagerv wrote: »
    I had the problem a few times before the update, but since 2.1 all good so far.

That's good to hear. I'm still on 2.0 but booked in for 2.1 on Tuesday.

KCross wrote: »
    That was a snarky reply from him/her. You are wasting your time interacting with that individual. They have your money, thats all they care about.

The bottomline is the timers are not reliable. Its a fundamental part of an EV so you can be sure it will be fixed... when is the question!
    Would it be worth emailing VW customer service directly as well? Hop over the usual "not our problem" response from the dealership?

That response was from VW to my dealer. It's from the person that the dealer relies upon to sort out tech issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭coward

You're having more success that I did with out ID.4 last night. Started at ~25%, scheduled between midnight and 6am. I've an energy monitor on our house power, so I can see it started up around midnight but stopped after 20 minutes. Then this morning around 6.30 I went out to the car and just sat inside to see were the settings wrong or anything, and the car started charging... outside the scheduled time. It stopped 30 minutes later at 7.10am. Went outside and unplugged and plugged it in again, and the charge port flashed to say it's scheduled. Entered the car and set a 2nd timer for 6am-9am and instantly it started charging again until we needed the car at ~8am.

My settings are similar to yours. Charge immediately to 0%. I understood that as "if I plug in at this location, immediately start charging up to 50%", which I don't want.

Apologies if you've added to this, I searched the thread and only found this post... so far.

As others have said, frequently reported to VW in facebook group. Latest was 2 hours ago with charging graph supplied. I will let dealer know too.

Right now, I'm just trying to find a setting that gives me the most charge overnight until they resolve this issue.

My last charge was almost identical to the first. I hadn't used it enough to start with a charge below 50%. So just using 50 - 80% with a single time period defined overnight.

Car charged from 51% to 69%. Finished with very same % as before. And as before, it does not start to charge until about 4 hours before the end of the time period.

Have now set two time periods for my next charge. In the hope it will at least do something between the hours of 12 and 4.

After that I'll try setting the max as 50-100% at the location. Wondering if it was trying to do 80% of 80% set in the top-level menu.

I wouldn’t be bothered testing all the combinations. Going out to a half charged car just when you need it isn’t worth it.

Disable the timers and manually start the charge session via the app. It will reliably charge every time that way.

We need to wait for VW to sort out the timers.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭coward

Disable the timers and manually start the charge session via the app. It will reliably charge every time that way.

I didn't know you can do this! :o

I tried pressing that red / green circle and clicking that area.. Now I see that you can slide the red circle to the left and vice versa. How did I miss this.. :o

Thanks for pointing that out.

• Advertisement

I wouldn’t be bothered testing all the combinations. Going out to a half charged car just when you need it isn’t worth it.

We need to wait for VW to sort out the timers.

If their tech guys are saying it's all the internet's fault, what hope have we?

If their tech guys are saying it's all the internet's fault, what hope have we?

That’s the dealer and VW Ireland, they know nothing about the state of the software or have any control on fixing it.

VW Germany know what’s going on alright. There are 10s of thousands of these cars around Europe now with plenty people reporting it. It will be fixed.

Are you using the charger that came with the car? I se some people are having trouble with some of there own home chargers.

That’s the dealer and VW Ireland, they know nothing about the state of the software or have any control on fixing it.

VW Germany know what’s going on alright. There are 10s of thousands of these cars around Europe now with plenty people reporting it. It will be fixed.

VW Ireland told me that the issue was being dealt with between the dealership and the "factory", and that they had no input. The dealer says that the tech doesn't have English as his first language, so can be hard to understand what he's saying sometimes.

I've no doubt that VW in Germany know what's going on. Dr Chris at Myenergi seems perplexed at VW's communication and their lack of willingness to fix this issue. The problem first raised it's ugly head around August last year. The line seems to be that their cars meet regulations and that means that the Zappi charge point must be at fault.

There was great hope that 2.1 would contain a fix for this issue. We now know that it doesn't.

Two things here:

1) I've timer charged 3 different brands of cars at the Zappi without issue.

2) The problem isn't confined to Zappi chargers. We can see this here in our little corner of the internet, never mind all the reports coming out of the UK, Germany, France, etc.

So, VW know of the issue since last August and have had 2 major updates since then: 2.0 and 2.1. It could be that they're not bothered, as they don't have night rate electricity in Germany. But, they do have a lot of solar PV and it's causing an issue when the sun goes behind a cloud during the day. They've issued a fix for this in 2.1 where the car will tolerate up to 32 interruptions during the day instead of the 3 before 2.1.

They fixed the solar PV issue, but didn't fix the delayed charge issue... hmmm.

coward wrote: »
    As others have said, frequently reported to VW in facebook group. Latest was 2 hours ago with charging graph supplied. I will let dealer know too.

Right now, I'm just trying to find a setting that gives me the most charge overnight until they resolve this issue.

My last charge was almost identical to the first. I hadn't used it enough to start with a charge below 50%. So just using 50 - 80% with a single time period defined overnight.

Car charged from 51% to 69%. Finished with very same % as before. And as before, it does not start to charge until about 4 hours before the end of the time period.

Have now set two time periods for my next charge. In the hope it will at least do something between the hours of 12 and 4.

After that I'll try setting the max as 50-100% at the location. Wondering if it was trying to do 80% of 80% set in the top-level menu.

Depending how you look at things, I had more success last night. Plugged in with about 20% battery, scheduled for midnight to 9am, up to 80%, immediately charge to 0%.
    At midnight the car started pulling 300W, and did so until 1am. At 1.15am I went outside, unplugged and plugged in the car, and immediately it started charging at 7kW. Did so until it but 80% at around 7.30 this morning.

So it did a full charge, but it involved me getting up at 1.30am to replug the car in. The EV life

You can see in the screenshot below the 300W, the full charge, and a washing machine run

IMG-20210410-122739.jpg

Depending how you look at things, I had more success last night. Plugged in with about 20% battery, scheduled for midnight to 9am, up to 80%, immediately charge to 0%.
    At midnight the car started pulling 300W, and did so until 1am. At 1.15am I went outside, unplugged and plugged in the car, and immediately it started charging at 7kW. Did so until it but 80% at around 7.30 this morning.

So it did a full charge, but it involved me getting up at 1.30am to replug the car in. The EV life

You can see in the screenshot below the 300W, the full charge, and a washing machine run

IMG-20210410-122739.jpg

Spoke too soon. Just gone for a spin and noticed my saved charging locations has been cleared, so perhaps last night it charged based on there being no scheduled time

VW Ireland told me that the issue was being dealt with between the dealership and the "factory", and that they had no input. The dealer says that the tech doesn't have English as his first language, so can be hard to understand what he's saying sometimes.

I've no doubt that VW in Germany know what's going on. Dr Chris at Myenergi seems perplexed at VW's communication and their lack of willingness to fix this issue. The problem first raised it's ugly head around August last year. The line seems to be that their cars meet regulations and that means that the Zappi charge point must be at fault.

There was great hope that 2.1 would contain a fix for this issue. We now know that it doesn't.

Two things here:

1) I've timer charged 3 different brands of cars at the Zappi without issue.

2) The problem isn't confined to Zappi chargers. We can see this here in our little corner of the internet, never mind all the reports coming out of the UK, Germany, France, etc.

So, VW know of the issue since last August and have had 2 major updates since then: 2.0 and 2.1. It could be that they're not bothered, as they don't have night rate electricity in Germany. But, they do have a lot of solar PV and it's causing an issue when the sun goes behind a cloud during the day. They've issued a fix for this in 2.1 where the car will tolerate up to 32 interruptions during the day instead of the 3 before 2.1.

They fixed the solar PV issue, but didn't fix the delayed charge issue... hmmm.

You are describing two separate issues there.

1) The solar integration with the car going to sleep and not waking up
    2) The timers not working reliably

They have, as you said, improved the Solar bit but not completely resolved it.

The timers are still broken and to be avoided for now.

Trying to battle the half baked timer software is pointless in my opinion.
    So, remove all timers in the car, plug the car in when you get home, it will immediately start a charge, stop it, then start the charge via the app when night rate kicks in.

Pain in the hole... yes. Does it work consistently when you do it that way... yes.

I wouldnt believe anything the dealer or VW Ireland tell me about the software. Its entirely out of their hands. All they can do, if they are so inclined, is pass on your complaint.

You are describing two separate issues there.

1) The solar integration with the car going to sleep and not waking up
    2) The timers not working reliably

They have, as you said, improved the Solar bit but not completely resolved it.

The timers are still broken and to be avoided for now.

Trying to battle the half baked timer software is pointless in my opinion.
    So, remove all timers in the car, plug the car in when you get home, it will immediately start a charge, stop it, then start the charge via the app when night rate kicks in.

Pain in the hole... yes. Does it work consistently when you do it that way... yes.

I wouldnt believe anything the dealer or VW Ireland tell me about the software. Its entirely out of their hands. All they can do, if they are so inclined, is pass on your complaint.

Yes, on it being out of the dealers hands, but I'd certainly still tell them all about it.

And hell no to staying up until the night rate kicks in. It's midnight these days!

And hell no to staying up until the night rate kicks in. It's midnight these days!

Kick it on an hour or two earlier if you have to. One or two hours on day rate once or twice a week as a short term “solution” is a small price to pay to ensure the car charges reliably until VW sort their sh*t out.

• Advertisement

Yes, on it being out of the dealers hands, but I'd certainly still tell them all about it.

For me, it's 1:25. My meter clock is wrong. The upside is that I have night rate up until 10:25. I can get a few hours of charging in after I get up. :D

Use it while you can, the smart meters are coming.

Advertisement