Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

blackwhite wrote: »
    Just on the jogger one - a pedestrian (or anyone else,) crossing a side road whilst continuing along the main road has right of way over anyone leaving or entering the main carriage way, unless there’s traffic lights or signage to indicate otherwise. They’re understood to be continuing in their “lane” which you are crossing. Same principle in law as the idiot in the i10 left hooking you.

Was only reading this morning about a case in the UK between a pedestrian who stepped onto the road while looking at her phone and a cyclist.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/payout-yoga-teacher-hit-cyclist-crossed-road-looking-phone-427651

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Was only reading this morning about a case in the UK between a pedestrian who stepped onto the road while looking at her phone and a cyclist.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/payout-yoga-teacher-hit-cyclist-crossed-road-looking-phone-427651

Just after been reading it in the Guardian.
    Madness. I’ve twice hit pedestrians badly because they weren’t paying attention and near misses almost daily.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/jun/18/woman-knocked-down-while-on-phone-wins-payout-from-cyclist

• Registered Users Posts: 28,417 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Breezer wrote: »
    Oh I totally acknowledge this and in fact had a post a while back in Commuting and Transport where I had it out with a Garda who had a go at me for not giving way to him in his car when I was half way across a road (on foot) before he appeared.

I probably didn't explain that very well. I was approaching a stop line and had begun slowing, and at that point the jogger left the path and ran out in front of me without looking, forcing me to brake hard. Had I been further back as he'd left the path he'd have had right of way, as it was I was essentially at the junction before he arrived.

I'm not sure about the "continuing in their lane" bit to be honest. If that were the case the stop line for traffic should be further back, before it 'crosses their lane'. Everyone has a responsibility to pay attention coming up to junctions, with priority ceded to pedestrians if they are already crossing, as I understand it.

Whatever about the law, the responsibility for safety was still on me: I'm traffic, he's a pedestrian. I saw him, stopped and we all moved on without major incident. Had I hit him I reckon I would have been at least partially at fault. But that doesn't mean it wasn't silly behaviour on his part.
    Interesting judgement from the UK today;

https://metro.co.uk/2019/06/18/cyclist-ordered-pay-compensation-woman-stepped-front-looking-phone-9996411/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Pretty much echoes what I said above then. Though I have to say I'd feel hard done by as the cyclist all the same.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not a near miss for me, collided with another cyclist on the way home. no damage done bar a minor bruise, i'd say. cycling past stopped traffic on the east wall road and she popped out in front of me from between two cars. she reckoned she was OK too.
    didn't mention earlier, but got me thinking in the wake of the verdict in the guardian article - this happened here:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110469885&postcount=8342
    i was in the left lane, not on the cycle path. i suspect many people would have held me somewhat at fault for not being on the cycle path.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Just after been reading it in the Guardian.
    Madness. I’ve twice hit pedestrians badly because they weren’t paying attention and near misses almost daily.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/jun/18/woman-knocked-down-while-on-phone-wins-payout-from-cyclist
    that judgment begs the question; if the cyclist was also knocked out, and the pedestrian was equally to blame, why doesn't the cyclist get to make the same claim against the pedestrian?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The judge said that Mr Hazeldean “fell below the level expected of a reasonably competent cyclist in that he proceeded when the road was not completely clear.”

Yeah, because she stepped out in front of a moving vehicle without due care. That doesn't make him an incompetent cyclist. I'm sure he does his best to be careful with city pedestrians like most of us, doesn't mean you can prevent the one time someone walks out in front of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Motorist nearly took out 3 or 4 cyclists coming across the bridge at Heuston here this morning. Barged on through the yield triangle. He didn't seem to see what the problem was, totally car blind.

https://goo.gl/maps/cj2eJT3Ana93BjF67

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Got (lightly) hit by a seagull this morning :eek:

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3398819,-6.2275726,3a,75y,208.23h,98.23t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1stKRQwJ0Jh2q-VWAscecnNQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Coming along the path along the Dodder and 5/6 seagulls came up and low over the wall - assume they'd been sitting on the river.
    Bang to the helmet from one of them - caused a big wobble but didn't come off. Lucky that I was braking in advance of the kerb to come onto the road.

Lad coming behind caught up to me at top of the road whilst waiting to cross, and he had a camera on his handlebars. If you're on here feel free to upload the video :pac:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I was in back Freiburg (in Germany) for a few days with work this week. It is always amazing to see the approach used there and how it (generally*) works.
    For those of you unaware of it, it is a university city with excellent public transport (train, tram and bus) and an absolutely brilliant cycle network. The cycling infrastructure includes a mix on segregated and non-segregated cycle lanes.
    It works because vehicles actually yield to cyclists where appropriate. There are loads of places to park bicycles.

In the image below, cyclists leave the cycle path where I'm standing and back onto the road (on the red surface). Traffic in the rightmost lane (to my left) wanting to turn right actually yield to cyclists to the point that most cyclists that i observed did not feel the need to check if it was safe to leave the path and onto the red surface...

frHAvrFWYbDAA6klDZPZ1LAoYp9e66drLLRlycV29aIOQHoqLNiZBSfMBhHFK7quEyli8gInrxXVmZr6jkCgrHpMHdnFlrsUsMU1wzBiDLJBZku-t3FRVXsqgID8WB4agQ-Y7Up0bS5XqS82cSJv1NtUJjdjZLUfJJtKhEDdkXfnph2k3Nk1fyY8hs4C_JVWe58PPzKIE33ZXdo3LZKPEPQe989Bnj1xRThdeOTEBdUfhP5NSE1aSatgPbXSSSBqbd8sRpMHRblhrBOwjTrySdrC6DVuxodvwtSyjHS_Q2oQ9xv8_EckGdaptqllNsQBJPPiXXSQUm1nGFy2QpKIzzGL7SeIpm6FW0_D-PVTBFi3zaaHVwSKDYl9ode20Ckfy8En7LGeWnastnW16FE4fP36-ANT0cu2fxZHq7Wl5ZcFl8z2B7DigYbGtb-D55E87yl3UuLI1_l6sIBuvyPRFmV3OWK9ekLv0mtPNkgulBCdZDZIlzn6Awvc3pGoITv5_b1IqwO5xMA0-oYb9KGXUe7glldmwB3dSpbXI29JKu2SOS9HHQK1Y_ofcerAxoreHaOCDHEWFpDEpjuWlzLgjshhNHnDQXw09d4v74w5QXmX1Sh7UWpQGuNLP2QbshJRBbwEmR1j81u9XaGOVFsJfTk9Qgqorr3Y=w1052-h789-no

You can also see that the width of the track is wide enough for a faster bike to overtake a slower one safely.

I would also say that the vast majority of cyclists do not wear a helmet.
    I don't think I saw anyone wearing any kind of high-viz crap whilst there.

* Whilst describing to a colleague how wonderful this infrastructure was, I saw a car turning right almost take out a cyclist. They were however the exception which I haven't seen here before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭francois

Not sure if this has been posted up before

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Not a near miss for me, cyclist who I had overtaken in their nice gear, decided as I was stopped at lights to go around me. I ignored it but as the lights changed they tried to scoot across the road to beat the crossing lights. Missed the driver beating the amber/red. Missed having to call an ambulance by the narrowest of margins. Both were at fault for not paying attention, breaking the rules. Later down the road, a cargo bike in front of me coming into one of those shared spaces near a bus stop. Yield sign on the ground but they didn't really slow. Ped with headphones walked in front, they stopped, sort of, but a pedestrian at the bus stop pointed out the yield sign. Cargo bike rider hung their head, and acknowledged it, but the cyclists from earlier was just behind me just started shouting at the peds it was a bike lane, which it wasn't. This one person successfully turned 20 people against those pesky cyclists, even though they were repeatedly in the wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

francois wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been posted up before

What a knob. He's the same type of c1nt that would close pass you in a car because he feels like you've slowed him down

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Your man's such a knob in that horn video. I completely understand the need for one as people are flat out just walking on the road but something a bit quieter maybe. I understand he's probably fed up of people walking in the bike lanes but still.

When I used an Airzound I probably had it half volume and would only give a quick toot on approach. The high pitch was enough to get people's attention but at a reasonable volume. Hate people laying on the horn.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Breezer wrote: »
    Pretty much echoes what I said above then. Though I have to say I'd feel hard done by as the cyclist all the same.

As said on this forum in the past, road users are expected to stop at any time.
    It's not realistic but you will get some people posting a car should be able to stop at any time!

Insurance wise, once a pedestrian steps on to the road they will win the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Motorist nearly took out 3 or 4 cyclists coming across the bridge at Heuston here this morning. Barged on through the yield triangle. He didn't seem to see what the problem was, totally car blind.

https://goo.gl/maps/cj2eJT3Ana93BjF67

No one seems to obey that yield. Often seen motorbikes, cars and cyclists pushing on ahead in front of a bus and then wondering why the bus blows them out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭blackwhite

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Your man's such a knob in that horn video. I completely understand the need for one as people are flat out just walking on the road but something a bit quieter maybe. I understand he's probably fed up of people walking in the bike lanes but still.

When I used an Airzound I probably had it half volume and would only give a quick toot on approach. The high pitch was enough to get people's attention but at a reasonable volume. Hate people laying on the horn.

I can understand the desire for using the air horn (and even the benefit in cases where pedestrians have headphones on), but that guy seems to be trying to get as close as possible before blowing it to try and scare people.

Add in the couple of times in the video where he's blowing it at pedestrians in shared space areas, and you get the sum total of an ignorant c*nt.

Some people are ar*seholes regardless of mode of transport, and this guy is undoubtedly one of them.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    The judge said that Mr Hazeldean “fell below the level expected of a reasonably competent cyclist in that he proceeded when the road was not completely clear.”

Yeah, because she stepped out in front of a moving vehicle without due care. That doesn't make him an incompetent cyclist. I'm sure he does his best to be careful with city pedestrians like most of us, doesn't mean you can prevent the one time someone walks out in front of you.

The cyclist should have driven a car instead, to get away with killing the pedestrian

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/news/cheltenham-news/delivery-driver-mark-hale-given-2354566

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 mistermaster

Had a classic SMIDSY at top end the Phibsboro Road around 9 pm last night. Was cycling along in direction of the shopping centre, in the cycle/bus lane that starts just past the bridge over the canal. Some guy drives up from one of the side roads to the left (think it’s called Enniskerry Road) and comes onto the main road to turn left without stopping because he thinks there’s a complete gap in traffic. He hasn’t seen me and I have to slap on the brakes for a sudden halt in order not to run into him.
    He did stop and apologise with the “I didn’t see you” line. I suggested politely that he might take more care to look properly the next time.
    By the way, “politely” is a relative term!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

No one seems to obey that yield. Often seen motorbikes, cars and cyclists pushing on ahead in front of a bus and then wondering why the bus blows them out of it.

Yeah I see varying levels of “yield”, some are where other vehicles are a bit away. This morning, the cyclists were right on top of the “yielding” motorist

• Advertisement

cycling through kilsallaghan this evening, an artic lorry (pallas foods) overtook me. if you know kilsallaghan, you'll know it's not on a straight section of road; and the chap coming the opposite direction in a car had to come to a stop to avoid being driven into.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

My parents nearly had a run in with a cyclist this morning, on a country lane cyclist only had eyes for their front wheel and only saw my parents car when they were inches from the car's bumper.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

ganmo wrote: »
    My parents nearly had a run in with a cyclist this morning, on a country lane cyclist only had eyes for their front wheel and only saw my parents car when they were inches from the car's bumper.
    Eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Eh?

Assume the parents car was stopped, cyclist was focused on his own front wheel and nearly ran in the back of the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

amcalester wrote: »
    Assume the parents car was stopped, cyclist was focused on his own front wheel and nearly ran in the back of the car?

Front of the car

ED E wrote: »

I'm going to take a stab that the freeman esque drunken cyclist was crossing here or the far end of the same section. Not from Cork but seems like its the most applicable.

Depending on direction of travel I can see how he'd be a "bloody cyclist". Facing isnt defined. Facing isnt defined but if using the road I can see how a judge would determine he wasnt facing it.
    Just getting back to the issue of the little bike lights again - I've been thinking more about these each time I go through Sam Beckett Bridge.

So the law says that the cyclist can go on green if they are facing the green cyclist light.

But it doesn't actually say that the cyclist must stop if the cyclist red light is red, right? So when the big green light is green and the little cyclist light is red, there's nothing in law to stop the cyclist going through, right?

And that's before you even get into a debate about what 'facing' means.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

ganmo wrote: »

If that was someone in a car you'd have been lucky not to get a phonecall and the worst news in the world...

And yet we treat cyclists as though their potential to inflict death and serious injury on the roads is on par with cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭mvt

donvito99 wrote: »
    If that was someone in a car you'd have been lucky not to get a phonecall and the worst news in the world...

And yet we treat cyclists as though their potential to inflict death and serious injury on the roads is on par with cars.

Well, the thread is about near misses, the chaps post might not have been very clear but it kinda sounds like the cyclist wasnt paying attention to other road users.
    Have been guilty of it myself a few times.

you're not a real cyclist until you've felt the embarrassment of cycling into a stationary car at speed, due to lack of attention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

you're not a real cyclist until you've felt the embarrassment of cycling into a stationary car at speed, due to lack of attention.

We had a club spin brining some newish members around the place. 80K done, just getting close to home and one of em rear ends a car in Balinteer traffic. Poor fella was rightfully mortified.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement