Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

nAbnnqz.jpg
    S6lORU2.jpg

I'm going to take a stab that the freeman esque drunken cyclist was crossing here or the far end of the same section. Not from Cork but seems like its the most applicable.

Depending on direction of travel I can see how he'd be a "bloody cyclist". Facing isnt defined. Facing isnt defined but if using the road I can see how a judge would determine he wasnt facing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭hesker

ED E wrote: »

I'm going to take a stab that the freeman esque drunken cyclist was crossing here or the far end of the same section. Not from Cork but seems like its the most applicable.

Depending on direction of travel I can see how he'd be a "bloody cyclist". Facing isnt defined. Facing isnt defined but if using the road I can see how a judge would determine he wasnt facing it.

There’s a similar crossing further up at junction between Anglesea St and South Terrace. It’s on my commute home and I regularly cross the junction from Hibernian Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I'm in a decent sized town in France at the moment and there are cycle lanes everywhere, both on and off road. The on road lanes in the town are similar to Dublin, strip of paint, but the main difference is nobody parks vehicles in them. I saw a guy opening his door earlier and was about to hit the brakes when I noticed he was waiting for me to pass because he had actually checked the cycle lane in his mirror before getting out of his. And any cars that have been behind us have patiently waited to safely overtake us. No dangerous or punishments passes and nobody beeping. Makes for a very pleasant cycling experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I'm in a decent sized town in France at the moment and there are cycle lanes everywhere, both on and off road. The on road lanes in the town are similar to Dublin, strip of paint, but the main difference is nobody parks vehicles in them. I saw a guy opening his door earlier and was about to hit the brakes when I noticed he was waiting for me to pass because he had actually checked the cycle lane in his mirror before getting out of his. And any cars that have been behind us have patiently waited to safely overtake us. No dangerous or punishments passes and nobody beeping. Makes for a very pleasant cycling experience.

Embarrassing to think some of the people from there who are used to receiving such courtesy and respect on the road might come to cycle in Ireland and have to deal with the cohort of aggressive spoiled monkey-children that make up a significant minority of our driving population.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

It's the same in Spain, I'm off there again next week and can't wait. I know one can blame lack of enforcement up to a point but tbh I think as a race we have a somewhat feral opposition to authority and rules. And it is embarassing.

Funny thing is, if people would open their eyes and realise that many European countries now have a year round tourist industry due to cycling, they might see it could actually benefit a lot of them.

• Advertisement

It's the same in Spain, I'm off there again next week and can't wait. I know one can blame lack of enforcement up to a point but tbh I think as a race we have a somewhat feral opposition to authority and rules. And it is embarassing.

Actually I believe that consistent, long term lack of enforcement is key to why we are the way we are.

I reckon the same behavioural principles are involved as with children and discipline. If your child misbehaves they need discipline to correct their bad behaviour. If they misbehave and are not disciplined, then the line of what is acceptable moves, and the behaviour becomes worse and more entitled.

Adherence to rules on the road is just one area where We have had not nearly enough discipline for far too long. As a result we are essentially a nation of spoiled entitled children when it comes to rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I forgot to say that I locked our 2 bikes yesterday with a cable lock you could probably chew through with your teeth and there was never any fear of coming back to a stolen or vandalised bike. They just have a different attitude here towards cyclists that doesn't exist in Ireland unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I forgot to say that I locked our 2 bikes yesterday with a cable lock you could probably chew through with your teeth and there was never any fear of coming back to a stolen or vandalised bike. They just have a different attitude here towards cyclists that doesn't exist in Ireland unfortunately.
    Your town might be just unusually lacking thieves

https://www.thelocal.fr/20180914/on-your-bike-how-france-plans-to-turn-commuters-into-cyclists
    According to a 2017 study by France’s National Observatory of Delinquency and Criminal Responses yearly bike thefts have remained at roughly 400,000 for the past fifteen years.

A study by France’s Interior Ministry put the number at around 308,000 bike thefts in 2016, up from 248,000 in 2008, still clear evidence that bike theft in France is rife.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/scale-of-bicycle-theft-in-dublin-putting-people-off-cycling-1.3860235
    Mr Timoney, who has carried out research into bike theft in Dublin, said the scale of the problem is “broadly similar” to other European cities but that it could be driven down if better bike racks were installed.

The thing is though, I'm sure there's plenty of drivers in France as well who think "bloody cyclists". The difference is that they seem to have the maturity not to let their prejudices impact on their own driving standard and duty of care to others. We're seriously lacking such maturity of thinking and the resulting difference is glaringly obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,564 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Duckjob wrote: »
    The thing is though, I'm sure there's plenty of drivers in France as well who think "bloody cyclists". The difference is that they seem to have the maturity not to let their prejudices impact on their own driving standard and duty of care to others. We're seriously lacking such maturity of thinking and the resulting difference is glaringly obvious.

Having driven and cycled in France extensively (cycling was largely in the IDF region), I’d say it’s more that the standard of driving is pretty damn aggressive towards other drivers, but surprisingly good when interacting with pedestrians or cyclists in ordinary situations.

The one caveat is that this courtesy only seems to be extended to when the cyclist or pedestrian is behaving within the law. Any instances of jay-walking, or crossing on red from cyclists seemed to inspire the french motorists to accelerate to “teach a lesson”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

So many impatient and reckless motorists overtaking on the last 20km or so on the Wicklow 200 route today. Must have hit peak dominoes pizza / spice bag time, such was the urgency....

Stand out one was the retard who went around the traffic calming islands, onto the opposite side of the road and into oncoming traffic. All to get around a few people on bikes....

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Coast road south of Newcastle, Co. Wicklow, this morning and I had started to encounter participants of the Wicklow 200. Then around a blind bend comes this individual. Moved slightly out hoping he'd see sense - no. Then put my right arm out in a shocked 'WTF' motion and had to whip it in because he'd have taken it with him. Poor lad coming against me minding his own business.

This road is a busy spot for pedestrians, dog walkers and runners.

Obviously, I can't say whether or not he was a part of the support for the WW200

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Yeah a big difference in France is that everyone respects each other, cycle lanes are share with pedestrians in some areas and it still works well.

Here its one for all and all for one!!

Coast road south of Newcastle, Co. Wicklow, this morning and I had started to encounter participants of the Wicklow 200. Then around a blind bend comes this individual. Moved slightly out hoping he'd see sense - no. Then put my right arm out in a shocked 'WTF' motion and had to whip it in because he'd have taken it with him. Poor lad coming against me minding his own business.

This road is a busy spot for pedestrians, dog walkers and runners.

Obviously, I can't say whether or not he was a part of the support for the WW200

Roads like that are so dangerous to run on, I avoid them as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Polar wizard adventure

https://streamable.com/8rdse

650 lumens flashing on the front of the bike. Took the sound out to save your ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

I’m absolutely done reporting anything to gardai. Bloke going through rathmines last week texting caught me looking in. Gave me the finger and shouted **** off when I motioned to put the phone down. He spots the camera, and 500m up the road he catches up to me, begins to threaten me, asking me to show him the camera, while also taking photos of me on his phone, while driving. Drivers behind began beeping so he said he wanted to pull in and have a chat. He speeds up the road, pulls across cycle track and footpath, essentially blocking me. I stopped about 100ft short of him and held my ground. He gets out starts shouting again, threatening me, etc. I’ve no interest in “chatting” so I just turned around and cycled away. He went back to his car. I stop, attempt to continue and he gets out again and walks towards me. I tell him to **** off and leave it, he keeps coming. This is a well dressed bloke in a decent car, not your average scum bag. **** it, im 200ft from the Garda station so I head there. He drives off, I happen to catch a garda leaving the station. He’s properly interested, will have a chat, maybe even fcpn for phone and or parking on path/cycle track. Asks me to send him everything.

Two weeks go by and he calls. Couldn’t view the video so it’s a “he says vs you says” thing. I say I’ll drop the video in on a usb/dvd/vhs/whatever, but he says well the car isn’t registered to him and he doesn’t live in the district so there’s really nothing that can be done.

****ing wonderful that they’ve got your back.

Next time at least I know I don’t have to stay above board, I can flatten the ****er because I don’t live in the district and the bike isn’t registered to me.
    droidus wrote: »
    Wouldn't normally say this, but I think you have to take this one further. The guy is clearly a psychopath...

Well it's been a while, but to follow up... I escalated this and managed to get in touch with a sergeant in the station. As much as I hate to say 'luckily'... Luckily he was a cyclist and ex-mountain bike patrol. Completely understood my frustration. Organised to have the footage dropped in. He kept me updated via email while they were attempting to identify who was driving and get an address.

Called yesterday and they're satisfied with identification and address. Offered court or caution. After spending a morning in traffic court last year and seeing how it all works, I opted for caution. I'm 15 years commuting in and out of the city and I was shook by the incident, I'm thinking more from the perspective of what if that was someone on a bike for 2 months, they'd probably never cycle again. All I wanted was this lad to be taken down a peg and told he can't be pulling that sh*t. So it's a caution, and unless he decides himself that he did no wrong, in which case the Sergeant said he'd happily prosecute and bring him to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Well it's been a while, but to follow up... I escalated this and managed to get in touch with a sergeant in the station. As much as I hate to say 'luckily'... Luckily he was a cyclist and ex-mountain bike patrol. Completely understood my frustration. Organised to have the footage dropped in. He kept me updated via email while they were attempting to identify who was driving and get an address.

Called yesterday and they're satisfied with identification and address. Offered court or caution. After spending a morning in traffic court last year and seeing how it all works, I opted for caution. I'm 15 years commuting in and out of the city and I was shook by the incident, I'm thinking more from the perspective of what if that was someone on a bike for 2 months, they'd probably never cycle again. All I wanted was this lad to be taken down a peg and told he can't be pulling that sh*t. So it's a caution, and unless he decides himself that he did no wrong, in which case the Sergeant said he'd happily prosecute and bring him to court.
    Great result WUG.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Fair play

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Not quite a near miss but very weird behavior..
    I was on the N11 inbound this morning, just passed UCD and heading for the Nutley lane junction. An 84X (regular double decker) passed me out at speed and proceeded to mount the raised section of the bicycle lane with two wheels. He pulled back into the proper bus lane just before the flexi-poles that were put in after the death at that junction - either the driver was drunk or he was trying to avoid all the potholes around the drains on that section of road.

It took me a moment to spot - I was trying to work out why the bus was leaning over...

• Advertisement

The guy will probably just laugh at the caution, he has no respect for anything. Maybe he might wrap the car around a tree with no one else in it and just hurt himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,588 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Great result WUG.

At risk of going all Dunphyesqe, I'd say a good result, but not a great one. Any outcome that involves a Garda landing at the front door is a good start. Was there any discussion about issuing a fixed charge penalty notice for the phone use, including penalty points?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

The guy will probably just laugh at the caution, he has no respect for anything. Maybe he might wrap the car around a tree with no one else in it and just hurt himself.

For some a visit from the guards can be mortifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

Great result . Smart decision. That will encourage a few more of us to stick with the process I Think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭tnegun

I remember that being posted on here, not sure if it was by someone here or it was just the tweet of it that got posted.

Doesn't say what the charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

At risk of going all Dunphyesqe, I'd say a good result, but not a great one. Any outcome that involves a Garda landing at the front door is a good start. Was there any discussion about issuing a fixed charge penalty notice for the phone use, including penalty points?

A fair point, but having involved Gardaí from the same station in the past In a worse situation involving a collision and damage to bike, where they did absolutely nothing, along with multiple unanswered trafficwatch calls, I’ll have to call this one a win, however small, to save my sanity.

I had completely given up on the Gardaí and was quite ready to “pull a cramcycle” :P and take it upon myself next time. A glimmer of hope here is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I remember that being posted on here, not sure if it was by someone here or it was just the tweet of it that got posted.

Doesn't say what the charge.

https://twitter.com/righttobikeit/status/1138492580478488578

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Jesus that was a rough one, it's a start but deserved worse than 250 fine & 3 points

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,588 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

A fair point, but having involved Gardaí from the same station in the past In a worse situation involving a collision and damage to bike, where they did absolutely nothing, along with multiple unanswered trafficwatch calls, I’ll have to call this one a win, however small, to save my sanity.

I had completely given up on the Gardaí and was quite ready to “pull a cramcycle” :P and take it upon myself next time. A glimmer of hope here is good.

A glimmer is indeed good, and beats some of my past experience too, so well done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement