Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options
1328329330331332334»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

micar wrote: »
    Audi Q7

Large tank like “sports utility vehicle”, being driven like an arse, mixed with resentment for sitting in traffic in a 2.5 tank, paying large amounts of “road tax” and mix in a little entitlement and inferiority complex. Nice mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

Myself and a few cyclist had a lovely encounter with a pr1ck in an Audi Q7 travelling from Harts corner towards Mobhi rd.

At each set if traffic lights he floored only to be caught at the next set of traffic lights.

Happened 3 times.......So dangerous.

Wonder if it was because of our presence or is he always like that.

Will have a view of the footage later.

I should really report time for dangerous and aggressive driving.

Breezer wrote: »
    Did he come around Hart's Corner in the bus lane as well, by any chance? That's another shooting fish in a barrel spot, should the Gardaare to shoot the fish who have voluntarily leapt into the barrel. Which apparently they don't.

Sorry, I'm derailing the thread slightly, I'll leave it at that.
    Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Large tank like “sports utility vehicle”, being driven like an arse, mixed with resentment for sitting in traffic in a 2.5 tank, paying large amounts of “road tax” and mix in a little entitlement and inferiority complex. Nice mix.

Here he is

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

This sums up the commute by bicycle in Dublin perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Edging ever closer to the 10,000 post limit for threads. Probably not something to be impressed by given the age and subject of the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

donvito99 wrote: »
    This sums up the commute by bicycle in Dublin perfectly.

The futility of all the revving and acceleration that equals the same average speed as a cyclist on the same stretch of road will never dawn on that driver.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,332 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not a near miss per se, but cycling from sutton towards howth today, drafting behind a tractor pulling a trailer (going the perfect speed for me, i latched on and was enjoying the tow); but we passed some roadworks where the workmen had laid out traffic cones delineating a new line for traffic to take, including a new centre line. the wheels of the trailer clipped the base of one of the cones, popping it across the road to come resting against the opposite kerb. thankfully no-one was coming in the opposite direction, but if there had been a cyclist on the other side of the road, it would have properly swept their wheel out from under them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    The futility of all the revving and acceleration that equals the same average speed as a cyclist on the same stretch of road will never dawn on that driver.

Confessions of a former Audi driver (:eek:): I used to bloody love whizzing away from lights and listening to my turbo kick in. I wasn't racing cyclists, I just liked the noise. I don't think I ever did anything dangerous but I'm sure I looked like a muppet. Disclaimer: I was in my twenties, therefore young and stupid, and it was an A1 not a Q7!

Then I spent two years commuting the full length of the M50 every day. By the end of it I was doing a steady 50km/h, ignoring the revving/beeping/lane jumping idiots around me who were getting nowhere anyway, and in the final phase of my treatment I sold the bloody thing and bought a bicycle :D

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭dubbrin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Yes.. I don't get this either. It is clear for everyone to see how bad it has got. I just wonder are these same people (politicians etc) red light runners themselves as no one seems to care these days.

I live close to a major junction of Upr Kilmacud Rd and Drummartin Link Road and its just normal practice on nearly every sequence that cars run the red lights. To add to it too I experienced a new level of w*nkerism on Sat evening when out for a walk with my 11 y/o son.. we have 4 x green men for whole junction so we crossed the 2 x roads one by one (didn't cross thru middle of junction) and as we crossed 2nd one a car started edging forward on us across the stop line and into the pedestrian area in readiness to take off.. I stared at him and he then points up at the amber man (He still had a read light for another 5-10 seconds) as though to say I shouldn't be on the road crossing... seriously, what kind of stupid ignorant people do we have driving cars these days. Only cause my son was with me I would have had more to say to the driver and may very well have led to conflict..

Something needs to be done on the red light running as I don't see it mentioned in press etc but is clear for all to see that it is all breaking down. It just really annoys me and gives a real indication of the selfish mentality of society these days.

Politicians will only deal with what is popular, and being able to break red lights, speed, etc are all things that most people like to do, hence why there is no political will to change this as it will impact votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

Breezer wrote: »
    Confessions of a former Audi driver (:eek:): I used to bloody love whizzing away from lights and listening to my turbo kick in. I wasn't racing cyclists, I just liked the noise. I don't think I ever did anything dangerous but I'm sure I looked like a muppet. Disclaimer: I was in my twenties, therefore young and stupid, and it was an A1 not a Q7!
    :o Me too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

There was a cyclist down yesterday on Sandford Road around 3pm. It was at the petrol station by Belmont Avenue. I didn't stop as there were a lot of people surrounding her. I couldn't see a car in the immediate vicinity but it could have been parked up in the station. It looked like they were waiting on an ambulance. I hope the cyclist was okay.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement