Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The Guardian is the 25th most visited site in the UK. Only the BBC is higher when it comes to news, and the BBC is a lot more than just the news.
    Yup. The Guardian is cited as one of the most successful newspapers in the transition to digital. The print copy may have an average daily circulation of only 127,000, but they have in excess of 900,000 digital subscribers - people who have signed to to a regular payment in return for full access to the various apps, the digital edition and the website. Plus, another 530,000 who made an online payment in 2020, but without entering into a commitment to a regular payment - that's almost 1.5 million people paying for online access to the Guardian, more than 10 times the number who take the print edition.

Looking just at the paid digital subsciptions, among British newspaper groups only the FT has more than the Guardian (945,000 as opposed to 900,000). The Times has 337,000; the Telegraph 335,000. Nobody else tops 100,000 paid digital subscriptions.

The Guardian has acheived its relative success partly by aggressive pricing - a year's subscription will cost you £144, less than half of the £312 that it will cost you to take the Times or the Telegraph digitally. But so much better are the subscription figures that the total value of the Guardian subscriptions (£130 million) comfortably exceeds the corresponding figures for the Times (£124 million) and the Telegraph (£104 million).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Tropheus wrote: »
    Slightly off topic, but relates to buying a highish value item in the UK and importing into Ireland post Brexit.

I built a pond during the lockdown and am looking to purchase a filter over the next couple of months. They're expensive items and the one I'm interested in costs £3,775 in the UK with another £100 or so on top of that for shipping.

From what I've read, I purchase it net of UK VAT and then pay Irish VAT and duty when it arrives here. I believe that VAT and Duty are then charged on the total price including shipping. By my calculations, I'm looking at a net UK price of approx. €3,600. With VAT at 21% and Duty at 12% that would be a approx. €1,150 additional.

There are options to purchase for a similar price from Netherlands or Germany which will avoid the duty so I will obviously take those.

Someone suggested to me that I get it shipped to NI and collect it from there. With the border in the Irish Sea are there similar duties to be paid by NI residents importing from the UK? Obviously, it would be naughty to evade duty and VAT and I wouldn't recommend anyone do it.

There shouldn't be any Duty (assuming the product is physically in the UK)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

AutoTuning wrote: »
    Most of it is covered by a handful of logistics operators, not the companies themselves. The Irish government should be communicating with them very clearly so there isn’t a lumping of Ireland into a non EU market.

The EU needs to do likewise, even if it means a significant communications campaign. They have a duty of care to the operation of the EU internal market. This stuff is a serious distortion of that market.

I raised this very issue in a previous post , but it was deleted as being off topic by moderator. ( I assume this one will be too)
    Ebay still list UK sellers as being in the EU and it is impossible to select only EU sellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

It's good to show just how narrow The Guardian's audience actually is though.

Why do you think that's good?

The opinion pieces in the Guardian are almost always terrible but I find it a good news source and its long reads are fantastic. Some great stuff in the Books, Music and Film sections as well.

Also, I didn't see the Telegraph mentioned in the circulation figures at all. Is it purely onliine now?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Also, I didn't see the Telegraph mentioned in the circulation figures at all. Is it purely onliine now?

I believe they may have withdrawn from the calculation due to not wanting to be reminded that they lost top broadsheet. The Indo here has also withdrawn.

Telegraph is still selling similar to but below the times figures I'd expect

• Registered Users Posts: 31,847 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Just a heads up to anyone heading to supermarket today you might struggle to find a lot of refrigerator food (e.g. ready meals etc)
    My husband sent me a picture of marks and Spencer in Liffey valley shelves upon shelves empty.
    Tesco in Liffey valley pretty much the same.
    Due to issues at ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

gmisk wrote: »
    Just a heads up to anyone heading to supermarket today you might struggle to find a lot of refrigerator food (e.g. ready meals etc)
    My husband sent me a picture of marks and Spencer in Liffey valley shelves upon shelves empty.
    Due to issues at ports.

Apparently it's mainly because some food/retail companies didn't realise they had to have customs documents ready ! Loads been refused access to ferry.
    It seems to be affecting lorries going via Northern Ireland - looks like a good few companies didn't think customs docs were needed !

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Due to issues at ports.

M&S is a poor weather vane though for this, it is basically an entire UK company with and entire UK supply chain.

Tesco may be just busy that area is massive footfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,847 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Ogham wrote: »
    Apparently it's mainly because some food/retail companies didn't realise they had to have customs documents ready ! Loads been refused access to ferry.
    It seems to be affecting lorries going via Northern Ireland - looks like a good few companies didn't think customs docs were needed !
    Thanks for that, the pictures are pretty shocking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

Due to issues at ports.

The issue hasn't reached the ports as yet - the issue is with the documentation at the distribution centres in the UK and the fact that a lot of trailers will need to be sealed by vets now. Add the fact that hauliers just want to do straight loads rather than groupage at the moment because of the paperwork mess. It's easier to ship to continental EU at the moment than to the island of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

schmoo2k wrote: »
    There shouldn't be any Duty (assuming the product is physically in the UK)?

This is where it gets vague. The product is manufactured in The Netherlands and physically exported to the UK and then shipped on to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭tubercolossus

Why do you think that's good?

The opinion pieces in the Guardian are almost always terrible

Rafael Behr, and (especially) Marina Hyde?

I've just read so much shíte in the Opinion section of the Guardian over the year that I don't bother going near it at all now. They look like they deal mainly in the political arena from a quick google but I'm not enticed to go read them. I've been burnt too many times.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭farmerval

Careful about Marina Hyde. I adore her naked hatred of Boris Johnson. When there's anything to do with relationships or families in the news she gets so sarcastic about Boris' domestic situation(s) it's really hilarious.
    Funny enough I think John Crace actually captures the situation in the house of commons better than the serious reporters.

i am in general really fed up of the British media at large. The standard of reporting through the whole Brexit process has been so bad. Giving fringe lunatic's endless airtime, never asking hard questions, turning a blind eye to news that doesn't fit their narrative.8? The really big anti brexit rally in London 18? months ago was hardly mentioned on the BBC.
    If there were 20 seals out clapping for the NHS they'd be all over it like a bad rash.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭tubercolossus

farmerval wrote: »
    Careful about Marina Hyde.

You misunderstand. I was disagreeing. She is simply wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Tropheus wrote: »
    This is where it gets vague. The product is manufactured in The Netherlands and physically exported to the UK and then shipped on to Ireland.

My understanding is that there will be duty on that when it is re-exported to the EU.(Ireland)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Services - I have sent a camera to be repaired by Sony in Wales. What will I be hit with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭AutoTuning

There are serious problems in British supply chains generally, including domestically. Sainsbury’s in Scotland was out of all fresh food in some stores yesterday.

There are compounding issues with COVID, a serious lockdown, problems with supply chains, panic buying etc etc and all that’s on top of Brexit.

There are cases where things like health certificates for certain products simply don’t exist and it seems that aspects of U.K. supply chains just assumed business as usual by magic, but to be fair they have been given totally misleading information by the U.K. government, with pie in the sky sunlit uplands stuff...

What’s going on at M&S looks like they quite obviously have no strategy or contingency to deal with this in Irish or French stores. It doesn’t make sense not to have had. They have had years to plan for this. For a company on that scale to be in ‘deer caught in headlights’ mode is absolutely shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Due to issues at ports.

Not true when it comes to Tesco. Tesco Ireland have been well aware and prepared for the changeover and pretty much all their trucks have been getting through without delay. Their particular issue is with their own brand ready meals, but pretty much all their fresh food is sourced from Ireland and has been a long time.

M&S is different altogether though as most, if not all, of their stuff is from the UK, and they had their head in the sand or fingers in their ears.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

schmoo2k wrote: »
    Services - I have sent a camera to be repaired by Sony in Wales. What will I be hit with?
    If you can show it was a repair job you should get away duty free but you'll probably need to prove it's a repair job of an existing product you sent over (had a friend who did something similar to the USA over a decade ago).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Hurrache wrote: »
    M&S is different altogether though as most, if not all, of their stuff is from the UK, and they had their head in the sand or fingers in their ears.

Are all their distribution centres still in the UK? I remember Irish products had to be shipped to the UK, then shipped back to Irish M&S stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Are all their distribution centres still in the UK? I remember Irish products had to be shipped to the UK, then shipped back to Irish M&S stores.

M&S afaik still ship everything from the UK in the supercubes.

Unlike Tesco, they've a huge distribution centre in Donnabate for about 15 years, I think it's ones of the top 10 largest buildings by volume in the world, the largest in Ireland. At one point I think they sublet some of the space out as they had so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭andrewfaulk

Padre_Pio wrote: »

Yep, M&S is all UK RDCs.. That is where they will have big issues as the customs border is now between their RDC and the shops.. It is much easier to ship a full truck of 1 product than 1 truck with 200 different products, as the customs clearance process is much easier

Have heard through the grape vine that allow of customs brokers are turning down customs entries like and M&S one would be with 200+ tarriff codes.. Too time consuming, and they are hardly short of work at the moment

There’ll be disruption in terms of some lines being replaced or disappearing, unfortunately ready meals are probably one of the most likely categories to be hit as there are complications around imports of that kind of product into the EU.

You’re not going to be short of anything, but there’s not going to be just a restoration of business as usual. There’ll be a new usual, with potentially some different products.

M&S however, I have no idea. If they can’t resolve this they may just end up having to absorb a lot of losses.

They’re a venerable old staple of British retail, but they might just end up as a casualty of Brexit. I feel sorry for them in a way. They’re a decent employer and one of the more ethical retailers and have been utterly shafted by their own government. Unfortunately this is what happens when you rip up deep trade agreements and pull the rug out from under companies by suddenly changing entire regulatory environments. Aspect of trade becomes problematic and businesses suffer.

M&S itself is running at a loss at the moment, quite a serious one and it really didn’t need this kind of disruption. Loads of companies will be facing similar.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-54807247

Hurrache wrote: »
    Not true when it comes to Tesco. Tesco Ireland have been well aware and prepared for the changeover and pretty much all their trucks have been getting through without delay. Their particular issue is with their own brand ready meals, but pretty much all their fresh food is sourced from Ireland and has been a long time.

Only 10% of the usual traffic has come through so far. Tesco are impacted like everyone else as we do so loads for them out of the distribution centres near Liverpool. The big issue at the moment is with the meat / dairy based products coming via the UK distribution centres as the the loads have to be vet sealed and there's a lot more declarations to be completed. Some loads have been held up at Larne already.

The majority of meat and dairy is domestically produced here and in general Irish consumers tended to shun any non Irish meat and dairy, particularly since the BSE crisis in the 1990s.

However, when you start looking at ready meals, frozen meals etc, that’s where you start getting into complications.

You’ll also find a lot of dairy eg say products like Actimel, many multinational yogurt brands etc etc are actually continental. Those companies just need to bypass U.K. distribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭andrewfaulk

There’ll be disruption in terms of some lines being replaced or disappearing, unfortunately ready meals are probably one of the most likely categories to be hit as there are complications around imports of that kind of product into the EU.

You’re not going to be short of anything, but there’s not going to be just a restoration of business as usual. There’ll be a new usual, with potentially some different products.

M&S however, I have no idea. If they can’t resolve this they may just end up having to absorb a lot of losses.

They’re a venerable old staple of British retail, but they might just end up as a casualty of Brexit. I feel sorry for them in a way. They’re a decent employer and one of the more ethical retailers and have been utterly shafted by their own government. Unfortunately this is what happens when you rip up deep trade agreements and pull the rug out from under companies by suddenly changing entire regulatory environments. Aspect of trade becomes problematic and businesses suffer.

M&S itself is running at a loss at the moment, quite a serious one and it really didn’t need this kind of disruption. Loads of companies will be facing similar.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-54807247

M&S basically will have a choice, invest in IE based supply chain or leave the market..

Given their financial performance the last few years, I think the second option may be more likely..

But hope I'm wrong because I am a fan of their chocolate chip cookies

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The majority of those delayed UK manufactured frozen meals are likely produced by an Irish company (Greencore) too, ironically.

• Advertisement

The majority of meat and dairy is domestically produced here and in general Irish consumers tended to shun any non Irish meat and dairy, particularly since the BSE crisis in the 1990s.

However, when you start looking at ready meals, frozen meals etc, that’s where you start getting into complications.

You’ll also find a lot of dairy eg say products like Actimel, many multinational yogurt brands etc etc are actually continental. Those companies just need to bypass U.K. distribution.

There's not enough capacity or infrastructure to just bypass UK distribution and a big issue is around groupage at the moment because the documentation is a nightmare so hauliers are just looking for straight loads at the moment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement