Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,712 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

peter kern wrote: »
    what is interesting is that this news is not widely reported either in uk or germany. but then reporting is also poor

Reporting on this topic probably fails the "what's the point?" test for most media outlets.

As a "pure" story, it's not news - anyone who has a particular interest in the topic knew this was going to happen, knew that arrangements were being made for a smooth transition, and will not be surprised to hear that all went according to plan.

As a propaganda piece for either side, well ... "Euro-traded stocks" is just a bit too dull a subject to create much excitement amongst those trying to highlight the cost of Brexit; and obviously the pro-Brexit crowd won't want to draw attention any negative effect of their Glorious Revolution.

Igotadose wrote: »
    Unfortunately both links are paywalled.

:confused: The Washington City one isn't paywalled for me ...

Here's the meat of it:
    London’s financial sector began to feel the full effects of Brexit on the first trading day of 2021, when nearly € 6 billion in EU equity trading shifted from the city to facilities in European capitals.

Trading stocks such as Santander, Deutsche Bank and Total moved to EU markets or back to primary exchanges such as the Madrid, Frankfurt and Paris stock exchanges, according to Refinitiv data – an abrupt change for London investors who have become accustomed to trading shares in Europe across borders without restrictions.

Business at London Euro equity trading hubs, including Cboe Europe, Turquoise and Aquis Exchange, shifted to their new EU locations set up late last year to accommodate the end of the Brexit transition. The volume on Monday amounted to one sixth of all turnover on stock exchanges in Europe.

While not the city’s most lucrative business, the departure of stock trading means less tax revenue for the UK government. Mr Haynes also noted that it could encourage companies to list in the EU to take advantage of smoother, more active trading conditions.

Cboe Europe said 90 percent of its EU flows, more than € 3.3 billion in deals, now took place in Amsterdam, compared to very few last year. Aquis said that “virtually all” euro-denominated stock trading had shifted overnight to Paris. Turquoise, controlled by London Stock Exchange Group, also saw most of its EU operations move to Amsterdam. Before the transition period ended, very little business had been traded at the sites.

For decades, London-based trading systems and major investment banks have been at the heart of cross-border equity trading, with up to 30 percent of all EU equities traded on the continent going through the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Unfortunately both links are paywalled. From the quote, yes 6bn sterling is a lot of money but doesn't sound like a huge percentage, it'd barely be noticed in the US.

the one i posted is not paywall the FT one is.
    but you can try this one

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/markets/eu-share-trading-flees-london-on-first-day-after-full-brexit-1.4450561

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭yagan

Unfortunately both links are paywalled. From the quote, yes 6bn sterling is a lot of money but doesn't sound like a huge percentage, it'd barely be noticed in the US.

Apple alone is worth more than the FTSE 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

yagan wrote: »

It's also bigger than Mexico.

• Advertisement

Indeed. The relevance of this story is not its absolute value, but rather what it symbolises: a very definite and negative consequence of Brexit, one which passes un-noticed by the general public, and although of limited importance in and of itself, will have inevitable ripple effects. A little less tax revenue for the Treasury means a little less spending somewhere else in the budget, making some other sector a little less interesting or more challenging to work in, meaning it becomes less attractive for "world class" talent, meaning their associated creative/productive energy goes somewhere else, leading to a less dynamic environment overall, reinforcing the loss of tax revenue and nudging the UK into the next level of a slow spiral of economic ill-health.

Worth considering also that there's no positive contrast. We've had Farage and Johnson and Gove and others loudly (very loudly) proclaiming a Glorious Future for the UK, but six days into this Glorious Future, despite all the promises over the last five years, there hasn't been any positive news to report (let's exclude the repackaging of previously announced measures that were enitrely compatible with EU membership, and the signing of stand-still temporary trade agreements)

Indeed. The relevance of this story is not its absolute value, but rather what it symbolises: a very definite and negative consequence of Brexit, one which passes un-noticed by the general public, and although of limited importance in and of itself, will have inevitable ripple effects. A little less tax revenue for the Treasury means a little less spending somewhere else in the budget, making some other sector a little less interesting or more challenging to work in, meaning it becomes less attractive for "world class" talent, meaning their associated creative/productive energy goes somewhere else, leading to a less dynamic environment overall, reinforcing the loss of tax revenue and nudging the UK into the next level of a slow spiral of economic ill-health.

Worth considering also that there's no positive contrast. We've had Farage and Johnson and Gove and others loudly (very loudly) proclaiming a Glorious Future for the UK, but six days into this Glorious Future, despite all the promises over the last five years, there hasn't been any positive news to report (let's exclude the repackaging of previously announced measures that were enitrely compatible with EU membership, and the signing of stand-still temporary trade agreements)
    What about Blue Passports?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I have not studied the deal in its thousand plus page version so I will ask a question of anyone who has ventured down that road.

Of the 36 EU bodies, like Euratom, EMA, and EBA, how many have the UK signed up to and at what cost?

I heard that Euratom was one they have signed up to, and Erasmus is one they have not. However, this needs to be confirmed.

Does anyone have a list, with the contributions?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: No more silly comments please.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

:D D'you mean the Made-in-France ones, or the Croatian Blue?

Or are you referring to the Designed-and-Built-in-Britain Blue EU Pet Passport, that's no longer valid for travel if issued in the UK? :pac:

FWIW (going off on a bit of a tangent) I think that plant and pet passports will be amongst the first sovereign competencies to be sacrificed before the gods of Common Sense. The ERG-types will be boxed in on all sides by agriculture (preferring higher EU protectionist standards to US dumping), the ecological movement (has always been very strong in the UK), the fruit & flower industry (once the births, deaths and marriages business wakes up from Covid), horticultural suppliers and consumers (again, always been a big thing in England, and those Scottish seed potato providers are not happy at all, at all) and the travelling-with-animal voters (a sufficiently strong lobby to get quarantine replaced by the Pet Passport scheme twenty years ago when it was never considered a problem by the majority of the public).

Of course, this capitulation to never-ending alignment with the EU will be spun as the Truly Sovereign Kingdom doing what's best for its people, persuading the Mighty Brussels to bend to Britain's demand to treated as an Equal, and thus be a Great Victory for the plucky island nation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

AutoTuning wrote: »
    Most of it is covered by a handful of logistics operators, not the companies themselves. The Irish government should be communicating with them very clearly so there isn’t a lumping of Ireland into a non EU market.

The EU needs to do likewise, even if it means a significant communications campaign. They have a duty of care to the operation of the EU internal market. This stuff is a serious distortion of that market.

It is illegal under single market rules to not ship to an EU destination if they offer international shipping to other EU members

They can charge more for shipping, but they cannot refuse to ship to us, especially if their justification is that the VAT costs too much to administer

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭tubercolossus

We're talking about the UK and Europe, though. The US really has nothing to do with it. It's one 6th of the volume in London, or 16.66%

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

What's the story with Kent? I would have expected it to be a lorry park again by now but I'm not seeing anything like that in the news

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

https://www.zdnet.com/article/81000-uk-owned-eu-domains-suspended-as-brexit-transition-ends/

Another fallout of brexit 80,000 .eu domains suspended, there was notice of this given last year

Euractiv has also reported on this today.
    "Leave.EU (...) ahead of the end of the Brexit transition date, the organisation migrated its registrant address to a site in Waterford"
    https://www.euractiv.com/section/digital/news/thousands-of-eu-domains-registered-to-uk-users-suspended-after-brexit/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,493 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

What's the story with Kent? I would have expected it to be a lorry park again by now but I'm not seeing anything like that in the news

Ireland and UK are both in complete lockdown. Many hauliers have purposefully stayed away expecting problems.

The issues were well highlighted such that most people has chosen to stay well clear. Eventually, stock etc will start to run low and then freight will have to increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭MBSnr

I guess it's due to the amount of freight still being a fraction of the pre Brexit levels due to stockpiling and companies avoiding shipping stuff in the first week or two of Jan.
    They think it'll start to ramp up in the next while and then we'll most likely see some issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,015 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Many hauliers have purposefully stayed away expecting problems.

The issues were well highlighted such that most people has chosen to stay well clear. Eventually, stock etc will start to run low and then freight will have to increase.

From the Dover side:

https://www.itv.com/news/meridian/2021-01-04/no-post-brexit-queues-at-dover-but-future-disruption-difficult-to-predict
    Chris Parker, Director of Capacity at DFDS said: “As we expected, the amount of traffic has dropped quite sharply since New Year’s Eve. It always happens in the New Year anyway but with the Brexit stockpiling we saw in December it’s even lower than it would normally be. We’re about 60% below what we’d normally have.”

From the Calais side:

https://www.export.org.uk/news/546069/Traffic-through-Dover-Calais-strait-remains-quiet-but-costs-of-cross-Channel-freight-has-surged.htm
    Post-transition border controls faced their first test yesterday (4 January) on the first working day of the year, but the flow of freight moving across the Dover-Calais strait remained slower than usual.

France’s new €50m smart border infrastructure was largely unused with traffic flowing at around a fifth of its normal level.

Also, COVID tests are being carried out well away from Kent.

image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭tubercolossus

Fisheries leaders write to British government.

https://twitter.com/RJCBennett/status/1346751767715979266

“It could be the final straw for many businesses” - Fishing leaders warn that the bureaucratic requirements the government says are needed to export fish to the EU from 1 January will have a “seriously detrimental effect” on the industry."

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

Fisheries leaders write to British government.

https://twitter.com/RJCBennett/status/1346751767715979266

“It could be the final straw for many businesses” - Fishing leaders warn that the bureaucratic requirements the government says are needed to export fish to the EU from 1 January will have a “seriously detrimental effect” on the industry."

Sorry but ;)

I myself have found an Irish manufacturer of my medical supplies . The rep from the Company is calling out to me today so I am thrilled to support Irish products.

Was also looking for fish from Irish fisheries and after some searching found a supplier from Bantry. Most were Scottish produce.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

As an FYI, probably your best near real-time source of information for that, and more generally anything to do with cross-border freight movement in the specifc context of Brexit, is @vivamjm on Twitter.

He enjoys many cross-links (following/followers) with customs handlers, freight forwarders and other haulage professionals at that particular coal face.

Kent is quiet indeed atm. But then, there were reports of 15% capacity used on UK/EU RoRo ferries (unprecedented low) versis 90+% on IE/EU RoRo ferries, yesterday or the day before ('Irishmonk' on Twitter, IIRC)...and an awful lot of (ever increading-) anecdotal photos of empty supermarket shelves throughout the UK, besides the SPAR-branded foodstuffs appearing on Sainsbury's NI shelves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Akrasia wrote: »
    It is illegal under single market rules to not ship to an EU destination if they offer international shipping to other EU members

They can charge more for shipping, but they cannot refuse to ship to us, especially if their justification is that the VAT costs too much to administer

Do you happen to have a source for that?

I remember reading that the regulation was about sales not shipping (they cannot refuse to sell to you, but they can offer collection only), I would like to be proven wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

ambro25 wrote: »
    As an FYI, probably your best near real-time source of information for that, and more generally anything to do with cross-border freight movement in the specifc context of Brexit, is @vivajm on Twitter.

He enjoys many cross-links (following/followers) with customs handlers, freight forwarders and other haulage professionals at that particular coal face.

that account appears to be suspended right now

Patser wrote: »
    Yep, more detail here

https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2021/0105/1187865-rockall-fishing/

They seemed to have tried to keep it from escalating by offering a temporary fishing licence, so they could still try and exert control without having a stand up row with the skipper.

I thought the Brexit deal allowed for fishing to remain fairly normal over the next 5 years.
    Disputes over Rockall are fairly normal, Brexit is just one more fly in the ointment

The British went to war over a rock in the atlantic ocean not so long ago, would they do it twice? (not expecting fireworks, but they're guarding it with their navy so anything's possible I suppose)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

ambro25 wrote: »
    Kent is quiet indeed atm. But then, there were reports of 15% capacity used on UK/EU RoRo ferries (unprecedented low) versis 90+% on IE/EU RoRo ferries, yesterday or the day before ('Irishmonk' on Twitter, IIRC)...and an awful lot of (ever increading-) anecdotal photos of empty supermarket shelves throughout the UK, besides the SPAR-branded foodstuffs appearing on Sainsbury's NI shelves.

Isn't that from the fresh lockdown restrictions though?

Looks like the currency traders have been reading boards.ie during their Christmas holidays! :pac: From an article on Bloomberg this morning:

Its just our luck as consumers, that the Euro finally gets parity with Sterling, but we can't take advantage of the cheaper imports from the UK because their logistics, political and fiscal infrastructure are completely banjaxed

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

SNIP. Serious posts only please.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Its just our luck as consumers, that the Euro finally gets parity with Sterling, but we can't take advantage of the cheaper imports from the UK because their logistics, political and fiscal infrastructure are completely banjaxed

It is not parity at the moment (90.3p) but it climbed to 88p on 3rd of Jan but slid back to the average for the last few months.

It has been drifting up and down from 90p with no direction for the last year.

Five years ago, it was 75p.

Considering we joined the Euro at .78p they've already gone well past parity with us. Their prices might seem cheap for us, but for many in the UK they're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Janey Mack

I know mods don’t like Twitter dumps but I am lost for words here. A textbook example of Doublethink from the UK press.

https://twitter.com/itsafrogslife/status/1346492076956004353?s=20

I feel sorry for the people of the UK. They are at sea, rudderless, with a dishonest government (aided by the press) who have offered no plan or vision to navigate them out of this storm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The DUP still with no idea as to what Brexit entailed and what they voted for. Now whinging about the NI protocol and wanting it revoked.
    https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1346763811144015873

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement