Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Outrage at initial disruption caused by brexit is unrealistic imo.

I think when you're living in a country that had no hand, act or part in the circus that was Brexit, it's fair enough to be pissed off at the disruption caused and the fact that suppliers you dealt with no longer want to ship to you because of issues arising from a neighbouring country's decisions.

It's like getting caught in the blast when you just happened to be standing beside a suicide bomber.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭AutoTuning

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Never mind France they have been on the verge of moving to Limerick for about 30 years now and it keeps going t**s up.

I imagine their only hope on mainland Europe would be in the big UK holiday areas

They’ve actually tended to not do that. Instead they keep chasing markets in Paris and big French cities where people don’t like their products. Their current French focus is on grab & go type food similar to what they have at Heuston Station.

I can assure you the French aren’t in a huge panic over it and there are far, far better options for food on the go like the Belgian chain Exki which has growing presence in French commuterland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Regarding M&S,it is disappointing if they only source products from the UK,I know from experience that's not the case with Tesco for example who do source local Irish produce in their stores which is common sense you'd think.

Think it has always been the case with the M&S groceries. Unlike all the other main ones (incl Tesco) a lot of UK products (presumably) coming out of a UK-centred supply chain with their Irish shops as a tack-on to the UK market.

Don't shop there much but if M&S didn't change over last 4 years knowing what was coming what can you say? It's kind of a luxury supermarket so customers will pay more but even if disruptions settle down might be hard to maintain the model long term in the face of the various Brexit obstacles to it (added customs paperwork, charges and delays or UK items they just won't be able to stock in Ireland any more).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭yagan

fly_agaric wrote: »
    Think it has always been the case with the M&S groceries. Unlike all the other main ones (incl Tesco) a lot of UK products (presumably) coming out of a UK-centred supply chain with their Irish shops as a tack-on to the UK market.

Don't shop there much but if M&S didn't change over last 4 years knowing what was coming what can you say? It's kind of a luxury supermarket so customers will pay more but even if disruptions settle down might be hard to maintain the model long term in the face of the various Brexit obstacles to it (added customs paperwork, charges and delays or UK items they just won't be able to stock in Ireland any more).

Other risks now is that any scare stories about GB foods will get exports of those items to the EU shut down and without a seat at the table they'll be waiting for any misunderstanding to be cleared up.

It's far more likely now that continent deep supply chains of the EU will see GB chains lose ground in their own country. In Australia Coles and Woolies had a duopoly controlling 80% of the grocery sector, until Aldi came along and started eroding their dominance.

Having said that Australia is a lucrative market whereas a GB with a wage growth lower than Greece in the last decade may not add any more to those EU chains already there.

Just probably more versions of Poundland, Poundworld, Poundstretcher, etc..

Tesco Ireland originated as Quinsworth & CrazyPrices. They took over an Irish chain rather than being an entrant in their own right. It’s also a fairly significantly supermarket group in its own right, on same scale as Dunnes or Musgraves. It doesn’t really need to the U.K. parent to operate and has all the scale and purchasing power it needs.

It’s also a major continental retailer with a lot of presence in Eastern Europe especially.

Some own brand stuff might vary that’s about all.

The issue is short term disruptions to supply chain and that needs to be absolutely minimised.

The isolated Sainsbury’s NI stores need to probably plug into one of the bigger retailers in the republic. It would nearly make more sense for them to become SuperValu at Sainsbury’s.

Realistically, I think M&S Ireland will end up as a clothing retailer only. It’s a bit of a loss but frankly I think Dunnes and SuperValu could easily replace them with a bit of effort. Mostly their food underwhelms these days. It’s all just glorified TV dinners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I still don’t get the feigned outrage higher up with government/eu not communicating

They did repeatedly, hell there was an advertisement on this very thread for while, radio, tv and direct mails and emails including support from banks and likes of ei too.

The poster proceeded to give example of someone on continent who didn’t know that Ireland is not part of uk

If anything brexit has shown is that there is no lack of stupid and uneducated people, who actively become hostile at experts

The only thing eu can do is throw a ton of money at Ireland for us to advertise “Ireland is not uk” on the continent but education is no remit of eu

Contrary education and marketing is high up in the EU. Plenty of budget for that sort of enterprise. Sure theyre masters at putting their name on everything they fund.

That’s probably justifiable as part of communication about the single market tbh.

Ireland itself could do a fairly big PR drive through the embassies network & usual channels just by taking out a few high profile press and online ads about our EU membership.

IDA Ireland is doing heavy advertising on business news channels but it needs to go a bit wider than that for a few months.

Why not do something that might be a big pitch about Ireland still being in the EU, being a great source for food etc and ready to welcome you for tourism, when all this covid stuff is over. Kinda “hold firm Europe. We’re still here! Thanks for the support and we’ll see you on the other side!”

I genuinely do think we need to be a lot clearer in our communication towards Europe too. We spend a lot of time worrying about our image in the USA, but we could do a bit at the moment to just drive home a message that we are still very much here in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,712 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

AutoTuning wrote: »
    IDA Ireland is doing heavy advertising on business news channels but it needs to go a bit wider than that for a few months.

Why not do something that might be a big pitch about Ireland still being in the EU, being a great source for food etc and ready to welcome you for tourism, when all this covid stuff is over. Kinda “hold firm Europe. We’re still here! Thanks for the support and we’ll see you on the other side!”

All very well, but at the end of the day, you're still going to have regular people at the end of a phone and/or in front of a computer, answering questions that they think they know the answer to even though they don't. A couple of years ago, I spent a very pleasant evening chatting to a local lady who resolutely refused to believe that there was a proper, functional airport 30km from where she grew up, 500m from the motorway that she drove on dozens of times a year [3500m runway, regularly receives the Antonov 225 for cargo ops, currently has BA's whole fleet of A380s parked there) ... until her brother reminded her that she'd actually taken a flight from there when she was younger.

Well considering I had someone trying to dial:
    +44 353 87 xxx xxxx from Germany....

I was tempted to ask them if they were +7 49 157x xxxxxx

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Didn't the IDA do a series of adverts where the key line was 'The Irish are the Young Europeans'

Maybe adjust it to 'The Irish are the Europeans in IRELAND' or something better.

We need to advertise our existence as separate from the other island.

We need to tell those in NI that thy would benefit hugely by joining us here in a united Ireland. Better employment opportunities because of increased FDI, better international soccer team, more business opportunities for business, etc.

Brexit should open opportunities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭tanko

I think i'd leave out any mention of the Soccer team.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Dymo wrote: »
    It's because it's not effecting people on the ground, the money and shares might have moved but it's the same people trading from the same offices in the UK.
    And it can continue like that as long as the UK maintains Data Adequacy, GDPR and Financial Services access to the EU.

If any of that changes .... and it can change with 30 days notice. And it could change as part of sanctions if the UK starts playing silly buggers with the Level Playing Field which is something the UK financial sector has no control over.

The other issue is new hires and new accounts. Both will likely be setup in the EU representing a steady erosion.

Hurrache wrote: »
    M&S are British-centric, they source feic all from within whatever country they're operating in outside of England. One of their signs they're displaying is apologising for the lack of products due to 'unforeseen circumstances', can you believe that nonsense.

Some of the signs in France appeared to be blaming "the government" in France...

https://twitter.com/Cazals62224275/status/1346777410696568833?s=20

The Express is meanwhile as deluded as ever claiming there's a food shortage in France (falls off seat laughing). “Fog in channel - continent completely cut off!”

I’m sure France will survive perfectly well without “Brexit food” somehow ...

https://twitter.com/Daily_Express/status/1346864354466148352?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Slightly off topic, but relates to buying a highish value item in the UK and importing into Ireland post Brexit.

I built a pond during the lockdown and am looking to purchase a filter over the next couple of months. They're expensive items and the one I'm interested in costs £3,775 in the UK with another £100 or so on top of that for shipping.

From what I've read, I purchase it net of UK VAT and then pay Irish VAT and duty when it arrives here. I believe that VAT and Duty are then charged on the total price including shipping. By my calculations, I'm looking at a net UK price of approx. €3,600. With VAT at 21% and Duty at 12% that would be a approx. €1,150 additional.

There are options to purchase for a similar price from Netherlands or Germany which will avoid the duty so I will obviously take those.

Someone suggested to me that I get it shipped to NI and collect it from there. With the border in the Irish Sea are there similar duties to be paid by NI residents importing from the UK? Obviously, it would be naughty to evade duty and VAT and I wouldn't recommend anyone do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Tweeted 4 hours ago and it has 5 likes, I could do better than that with a picture of my shoe, just goes to show their target market. It must be kind of scary for them to see their readership shrinking year after year in an unstoppable decline, funny that they went with the Covid denial angle though considering how it would hit their customer base nearly exclusively.

Part of the problem is that the tabloids are used as jumping off points for general media debate. All these lazy newspaper reviews on news channels in the U.K. are just that - lazy.

Do you think the Daily Express does a review of what Sky News, BBC & ITN and Channel 4 have been reporting?!

Also I would question whether some of them are even newspapers. They certainly don’t report the news - just a collection of party political or their own politics.

Other fact based British media really needs to consider what it’s doing by constantly using them as somehow being barometers of public opinion. They’re the complete opposite. They set political agendas.

Average newspaper circulation in the U.K.

Title 2020[10]
    Metro 1,419,614
    The Sun 1,206,595
    Daily Mail 1,134,184
    Evening Standard 787,447
    Daily Mirror 441,934
    The Times 359,960
    Daily Express 289,679
    Daily Star 274,808
    “i” 215,932
    Financial Times 155,009
    The Guardian 126,879
    Daily Record 103,222
    City A.M. 85,738

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Shocked at that FT figure, you'd think it would hit 7 figures at least.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

FT has made huge moves to digital subs; lots of businesses that bought everyone a copy every day moved to digital for environmental reasons initially, and more recently due to WFH.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Title 2020[10]
    Metro 1,419,614

The metro is a freebie at train stations; people pick it up for something to read out of sheer boredom or to do the crossword/Sudoko puzzles somewhere past the middle pages whilst waiting for or travelling on local commuter trains. You could find plenty of them left behind on the carriages. So from a circulation point of view it's a bit of a cheap shot to tout their numbers at the top when it costs readers nothing (and I dare say most view & treat it as such too ..).

I can't recall it being quite as trashy as the likes of the Daily Mail/Express, but it has been more than five years since I last bothered to pick it up so I stand to be corrected either by passage of time on my recollection or a change in direction regards tone of Metro.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Metro is recycled Mail content albeit with very little in the way of political or editorial stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭andrewfaulk

Thargor wrote: »
    Shocked at that FT figure, you'd think it would hit 7 figures at least.

It’s a fairly niche title I suppose..

Best of the U.K. papers IMO, but I’m biased

Part of the problem is that the tabloids are used as jumping off points for general media debate. All these lazy newspaper reviews on news channels in the U.K. are just that - lazy.

Do you think the Daily Express does a review of what Sky News, BBC & ITN and Channel 4 have been reporting?!

Also I would question whether some of them are even newspapers. They certainly don’t report the news - just a collection of party political or their own politics.

Other fact based British media really needs to consider what it’s doing by constantly using them as somehow being barometers of public opinion. They’re the complete opposite. They set political agendas.

Title 2020[10]
    Metro 1,419,614
    The Sun 1,206,595
    Daily Mail 1,134,184
    Evening Standard 787,447
    Daily Mirror 441,934
    The Times 359,960
    Daily Express 289,679
    Daily Star 274,808
    “i” 215,932
    Financial Times 155,009
    The Guardian 126,879
    Daily Record 103,222
    City A.M. 85,738

Pretty sure there used to be multiple papers over 4 million per day.

It's good to show just how narrow The Guardian's audience actually is though.

In the distant past the Mirror and one of the right-wing red tops (it changed which one as the Sun slowly took the others sales) would both be up and around 4m; with multiple others over 1m including the Telegraph.

The Telegraph isn't even the highest selling 'broadsheet' now, although I think it may actually be the only physical broadsheet.

Another extensively online converted readership along with the Times. The other papers have not made it work the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,915 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Must be a pretty slow day for Brexitland talking points if all we've got is the readership of their papers! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Well, that's the physical paper. I'd say the Guardian's online readership is pretty substantial and more than makes up for the physical paper sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

L1011 wrote: »
    In the distant past the Mirror and one of the right-wing red tops (it changed which one as the Sun slowly took the others sales) would both be up and around 4m; with multiple others over 1m including the Telegraph.

The Telegraph isn't even the highest selling 'broadsheet' now, although I think it may actually be the only physical broadsheet.

Another extensively online converted readership along with the Times. The other papers have not made it work the same way.

Have you ever found yourself on the mirror or sun's website? Just a barrage of awkward ads and difficult to scroll 'stories'.

It's no wonder that they have such a poor online presence compared to the likes of the Guardian.

Anyway...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

L1011 wrote: »
    The Metro is recycled Mail content albeit with very little in the way of political or editorial stuff.
    Remember the time the DUP took out a wrap around pro-Brexit ad paid for by persons unknown ?

They took it out in Scotland, England and Wales. But not in NI.

All because a loophole meant that contributions to political parties in NI were secret. But the DUP got 50 pieces of silver and now totally own the consequences of Brexit for NI.

They took it out in Scotland, England and Wales. But not in NI.

Well, its not even circulated in NI - which makes it worse in my eyes.

Belfast has too crowded a newspaper market to have a local issue.

In other news. The UK has taken back control of fishing.
    "It is not currently possible to export wild harvested live bivalve molluscs (LBMs) that are not ready for human consumption to the EU."

It'll all be sorted out by April. Maybe. But that's moot because
    If it does not get sorted in the next fortnight, "then it's going to get to the stage where it won't happen before the end of the season" he added.

It's an omnishambles.

• Advertisement

The Guardian is the 25th most visited site in the UK. Only the BBC is higher when it comes to news, and the BBC is a lot more than just the news.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement