Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Options

Comments

siblers wrote: »
    But everyone knows about this. It was widely reported at the time. Why bring it up again? What purpose does it serve when we all know about his past?

I just thought it was jarring when Andy Lee referred to Fury as a gentleman a few times in the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭monstermag

But everyone knows about this. It was widely reported at the time. Why bring it up again? What purpose does it serve when we all know about his past?

So l guess the lads won't bring up Justin Gatlin's past when the Olympics rolls around this summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

I just thought it was jarring when Andy Lee referred to Fury as a gentleman a few times in the interview.

Lee also said at the same time that his past comments may have been due to his mental health issues. The lad was totally unhinged at the time, off his rocker. I've no doubt he does have extreme racial & homophobic views but coming out with it so publicly I'd agree with that sentiment. Doesn't make it right and I don't really get the adulation or love in for him either but he was or potentially is still a complete mad man so that kind of talk is just lunacy and I wouldn't pay much attention to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Anyone know the lad who was on Saturday with John Duggan and Dan McDonnel? He's been on a few times on the Saturday show. He's awful, come across like the local pub expert, no idea why he's on the show

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Anyone know the lad who was on Saturday with John Duggan and Dan McDonnel? He's been on a few times on the Saturday show. He's awful, come across like the local pub expert, no idea why he's on the show

Shane Keegan was it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

Johnny Ward?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Shane Keegan is him alright. Would never have guessed he managed at a reasonabley high level in Irish football

Excellent paper review yesterday hosted by Joe with Johnny Ward and Ciarán Ó Raghallaigh as guests. People may give out about Joe but everything runs so smoothly when he's in the chair.

As for the Saturday panel, I'm not a fan of the format and find John Duggan to be utterly painful.

Excellent paper review yesterday hosted by Joe with Johnny Ward and Ciarán Ó Raghallaigh as guests. People may give out about Joe but everything runs so smoothly when he's in the chair.

As for the Saturday panel, I'm not a fan of the format and find John Duggan to be utterly painful.

Agree. Best Sunday Paper Review in a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Not usually a fan of Johnny Ward, but I agree that yesterday's paper review was very entertaining. Now there were some particularly interesting stories, like the FAI story, which certainly did help. But I certainly enjoyed it as I was cleaning out the shed. Maybe leaving it til later in the show is a good idea.

• Advertisement

Hard to make out Johny Ward. I think he's a bit of a headbanger, but in a nice sort of way. He can be engaging, charming, off the cuff, but talks some amount of pure horse manure he could say absolutely anything. I think Dan McDonnel and the lads get great laugh out of him. His prediction that Rovers had won the league last year after about 10 games was priceless and he'll never live that down. He's turning up on more media all tge time: Off The Ball, The 42, League of Ireland podcast. There is no end to this mans sporting knowledge.

Hard to make out Johny Ward. I think he's a bit of a headbanger, but in a nice sort of way. He can be engaging, charming, off the cuff, but talks some amount of pure horse manure he could say absolutely anything. I think Dan McDonnel and the lads get great laugh out of him. His prediction that Rovers had won the league last year after about 10 games was priceless and he'll never live that down. He's turning up on more media all tge time: Off The Ball, The 42, League of Ireland podcast. There is no end to this mans sporting knowledge.

I know Johnny well and he's a lot smarter than people give him credit for but it is true that he is a real maverick and enjoys life on his own terms. He's a great man to have a pint with and as he is so charismatic and people are drawn to him. Himself and Dan are very good friends going back years, and while he loves taking the piss out of Johnny, it's all good fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

OTB have tweeted about that Kerry training video 6 times in the past 24 hours. I actually went back to count because any time I’ve gone onto Twitter they’ve had a tweet up about it.

They really are becoming like a tabloid sports show.

OTB have tweeted about that Kerry training video 6 times in the past 24 hours. I actually went back to count because any time I’ve gone onto Twitter they’ve had a tweet up about it.

What's so tabloid about discussing the Kerry coach being asked to leave his job? Seems a pretty even handed assessment by Eoin Sheehan.

The Sunday Papers is one of my favourite slots of the week, but it was brutal again yesterday. Sarah O'Donovan seems to be a regular now but she's very poor and doesn't ever offer any real insight on any story. She also just lets the other person do all the talking which was not good yesterday as David Sneyd needs to be reined in due to rambling off topic. It also works better when Joe Molloy is host.

It's a decent slot but if they are just going to do a half-arsed job at it they'd be better off letting it die a death. I think a lot of the slots are starting to suffer now as they are spreading themselves so thin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

What's so tabloid about discussing the Kerry coach being asked to leave his job? Seems a pretty even handed assessment by Eoin Sheehan.

The Sunday Papers is one of my favourite slots of the week, but it was brutal again yesterday. Sarah O'Donovan seems to be a regular now but she's very poor and doesn't ever offer any real insight on any story. She also just lets the other person do all the talking which was not good yesterday as David Sneyd needs to be reined in due to rambling off topic. It also works better when Joe Molloy is host.

It's a decent slot but if they are just going to do a half-arsed job at it they'd be better off letting it die a death. I think a lot of the slots are starting to suffer now as they are spreading themselves so thin.

Thought Sarah o Donovan was ok. Interesting and insightful on cork rugby schools getting more into GAA. Not something I was aware of. She could of laughed less at Snyed’s “MadLad” persona.

Beats the hell out of Cliona Foley’s tediousness or Declan Lynch’s misinformed exaggerations.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I presume the poster was talking about the video of the Kilcummin lads wrestling in the mud, not about Donie Buckley getting the chop

BPKS wrote: »
    I presume the poster was talking about the video of the Kilcummin lads wrestling in the mud, not about Donie Buckley getting the chop

Indeed. That went right over my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I wonder if some of these tweets are being generated automatically? It was the same today with tweets on the Joe Marler incident.

Doesn't happen with all the tweets mind but some seem to get this treatment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Thought Sarah o Donovan was ok. Interesting and insightful on cork rugby schools getting more into GAA.

It is odd that I should switch off this particular show, as I usually find it enjoyable. But I switched them off after their hit piece on Neil Francis. Fair enough to criticize him for his content, but their joint effort to attack him personally was way over the top. It was clear that the three people in studio did not like him and they took their opportunity to have a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

It is odd that I should switch off this particular show, as I usually find it enjoyable. But I switched them off after their hit piece on Neil Francis. Fair enough to criticize him for his content, but their joint effort to attack him personally was way over the top. It was clear that the three people in studio did not like him and they took their opportunity to have a go.

There was an underlying bigotry in that. It works “up the way” too. I thought last week’s review, lead by Joe, was fantastic. This week was the absolute stinking sh1ts (I switched off too).

• Advertisement

I didn't think there was anything personal in it, they just criticised the article, which was daft. To be fair, you can't have it every way - a few weeks ago people were on here saying journalists never criticise their colleagues. No harm in Francis being called out in this case.

Yes. I'm not a fan of rugby or Francis but was surprised at the vitriol the three of them had for his piece. Never heard such criticism of a journalist like that before on the show. Certainly no love lost there.

I didn't think there was anything personal in it, they just criticised the article, which was daft. To be fair, you can't have it every way - a few weeks ago people were on here saying journalists never criticise their colleagues. No harm in Francis being called out in this case.

It was personal and focused very little on the content, analysis or merit of the article.

Who was the bloke on the show? Constantly cracking bad jokes that saw the woman giggling away constantly. Saying 'wind bags' a lot. Thought it was a terrible show myself and had to eventually give up and knock it off.

Who was the bloke on the show? Constantly cracking bad jokes that saw the woman giggling away constantly. Saying 'wind bags' a lot. Thought it was a terrible show myself and had to eventually give up and knock it off.

David Sneyd, freelance football journalist. He was a bit too casual with some of his language alright.

Needed a stronger host to rein him in. Neil Treacy is a bit green and the show got away from him.

It was personal and focused very little on the content, analysis or merit of the article.

I'll have to listen back, as I remember thinking it was unusual to hear criticism of a fellow journalist but wasn't that taken aback by it. Francis is in a fairly privileged position and is not shy about dishing it out, so if anyone can take a bit of flak it's him.

By main issue with the paper review was Snyed thinking Souness had a good point about Grealish taking too many touches with the ball.

Of course Grealish takes touches with the ball, he’s brilliant and the rest of the villa squad are ****e.

By main issue with the paper review was Snyed thinking Souness had a good point about Grealish taking too many touches with the ball.

Of course Grealish takes touches with the ball, he’s brilliant and the rest of the villa squad are ****e.

He's not brilliant imo. Nowhere near it.

He's not brilliant imo. Nowhere near it.

What would you say is the weakest in his game technically?

• Advertisement

What would you say is the weakest in his game technically?

Dont buy into the hype about him. Doesn't be involved in the play as much as a top midfielder should. Can go missing for large periods and usually does. A few fancy dribbles doesn't mask over his ineffectual overall play.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement