Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Your position seems to be to defend everything about the show and not accept any criticism whatsoever. If you are saying that poster's stance is odd, yours seems equally so.

Out of interest, have you ever taken issue with anything on the show?

Says a lot about the thread when people who enjoy the show are the ones being asked to explain why.

Had the Irish government called for it to be cancelled or people not to travel they would have created a diplomatic problem with the UK. Their hands were tied. It was a time for people and broadcasters to show leadership and responsibility.

I'd have made an editorial decision to ignore the racing side of things and maybe just read out the results at the end of a new bulletin. RTE did this. Discussing the racing and form etc at length each day was the most jarring part.

There's a difference between some of the presenters discussing how they felt about it very briefly and what would have happened in any other situation had OTB not had skin in the game - Richie, Joe and Ger pontificating to us all about how much of a disgrace it was, at length and ad nauseam.

My overall point is that they are compromised by money. At times during the OTB AM show it was like they were just a vehicle for a bookmaker to make money. It's hard to listen to them sounding off about all sorts of matters when you know that they will stay quiet if it affects Newstalk's bottom line. Their hands are tied but it makes them look silly.

If you don't agree with me, that's fine. Fair play for having your opinions and sticking doggedly to them. I can admire that and we can agree to disagree on the matter.

You're ignoring the fact that given the tie in with PP, contracts were most definitely in place for a particular quantity of coverage.

And, how do you think DOB would react to a show manager deciding to ignore that fact and not adhere to their agreements?

Not you particularly, but I think a certain number of people here are using the PP angle just as a stick to beat OTB with. If Joe had announced that he disagreed entirely with the plan to give air time to gambling companies, I bet that people here would be talking about it being another SJW crusade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Your position seems to be to defend everything about the show and not accept any criticism whatsoever. If you are saying that poster's stance is odd, yours seems equally so.

No, my position is I don't think the criticism of their coverage of Cheltenham is merited and I've explained why.
    I'd have made an editorial decision to ignore the racing side of things and maybe just read out the results at the end of a new bulletin. RTE did this. Discussing the racing and form etc at length each day was the most jarring part.
    Game On: Game On: Horse Racing- Cheltenham Day 2 and Day 3 Preview
    Our roving reporter Ruby Walsh has been busy over in Cheltenham and he has all the latest news and tips for Marie and Donncha from Day 2 and looks ahead to Day 3.

https://2fm.rte.ie/2fm-shows/game-on/

Have you found that Gilroy clip yet?

Ahwell wrote: »
    No, my position is I don't think the criticism of their coverage of Cheltenham is merited and I've explained why.

Have you found that Gilroy clip yet?

I have two small children and don't have the time to go back and find the segment I was referring to. I'll have a look tonight.

I think we'll just agree to disagree as we'll never be on the same page.

Good luck and stay safe.

You're ignoring the fact that given the tie in with PP, contracts were most definitely in place for a particular quantity of coverage.

And, how do you think DOB would react to a show manager deciding to ignore that fact and not adhere to their agreements?

Not you particularly, but I think a certain number of people here are using the PP angle just as a stick to beat OTB with. If Joe had announced that he disagreed entirely with the plan to give air time to gambling companies, I bet that people here would be talking about it being another SJW crusade.

Fair enough. I disagree with but respect your take.

• Advertisement

Good luck and stay safe.

Cheers, you too.

Fair enough. I disagree with but respect your take.

As I have said, I get annoyed at what seems to be continuous negativity and baseless judgement.

Like, on the show yesterday, they played an extended interview with David Brady who is being showcased on a Laochra Gael episode on TG4.

It was a very interesting piece and touched on playing sport as a child, the bond with team mates, Mayo's heart break, the challenges of dealing with failure and experiencing victory. But, such pieces are never discussed here outside of some comments like, 'David Brady talks some amount of nonsense' or the likes. I'm not saying he is a wonderful analyst, but it was interesting and I think his words would resonate with a lot of people.

Reading radio and tv threads on Boards would indicate nobody is able to have a conversation unless it centers around being judgmental.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Id say Gilroy is a real kiss arse around DOB. Seems like the exact type of fella

As I have said, I get annoyed at what seems to be continuous negativity and baseless judgement.

Like, on the show yesterday, they played an extended interview with David Brady who is being showcased on a Laochra Gael episode on TG4.

It was a very interesting piece and touched on playing sport as a child, the bond with team mates, Mayo's heart break, the challenges of dealing with failure and experiencing victory. But, such pieces are never discussed here outside of some comments like, 'David Brady talks some amount of nonsense' or the likes. I'm not saying he is a wonderful analyst, but it was interesting and I think his words would resonate with a lot of people.

Reading radio and tv threads on Boards would indicate nobody is able to have a conversation unless it centers around being judgmental.

Enjoyed it.

I've posted plenty of times about pieces I have enjoyed and have defended some of the presenters from what I felt was ott criticism.

But I have no problem having a go when I feel it's deserved. There's a balance to be struck.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭irs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It's not available now?

What was it?

Don't know but I find it funny that some people have thanked the post probably without even seeing the tweet. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

What was the tweet any hints.

That documentary about moving the Dons to Ireland was good. Well worth a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

That documentary about moving the Dons to Ireland was good. Well worth a listen.

Yea. Was on few months back. Enjoyed it.

And for anybody interested in the 2007 Open between Harrington and Garcia, somebody has uploaded all the shots of both competitors (removing all the other competitors) to youtube.

Send it on to Dave McIntrye if you know his address on the twitter machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Joe Brolly was on OTB AM last week giving out about Boris Johnson/The UKs response to the Virus.

Apparently the same Joe Brolly was in Cheltenham the week before.

BPKS wrote: »
    Joe Brolly was on OTB AM last week giving out about Boris Johnson/The UKs response to the Virus.

Apparently the same Joe Brolly was in Cheltenham the week before.

Is that a fact or a rumour? Id be surprised if he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,560 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Not the first I’ve heard of it but it does seem to upset a certain “cohort” on this site when it’s been mentioned.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Not the first I’ve heard of it but it does seem to upset a certain “cohort” on this site when it’s been mentioned.

I heard Brolly's interview. He was scathing of B Johnson and the Northern Irish government. But he also ripped into Leo's speech to the nation. I agreed with him that it was an insult to peoples intelligence. No need for itat all. 'Real heroes dont always wear capes' added to Leo's long list cringy sayings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

I hate Brolly with a passion and I’ve not expected he could be that hypocritical but apparently he was there. I was sent a picture of him there. Only issue could be it was from previous years.

Dots1982 wrote: »
    I hate Brolly with a passion and I’ve not expected he could be that hypocritical but apparently he was there. I was sent a picture of him there. Only issue could be it was from previous years.

Any proof it was this year? I dont recall him mentioning Cheltenham in that interview. Maybe he did. Id stilll be surprised if he was there given the risk factor.

I heard Brolly's interview. He was scathing of B Johnson and the Northern Irish government. But he also ripped into Leo's speech to the nation. I agreed with him that it was an insult to peoples intelligence. No need for itat all. 'Real heroes dont always wear capes' added to Leo's long list cringy sayings.

When you have recently graduated medical professionals asking each other do they have wills prepared, I think it puts in to some context what they are doing.
    Or if you saw the pictures of the bruised faces of medical professionals from Italy after so many hours of wearing ill fitting and worn PPE, you might have a different view.

Brolly is just trying to distract from the fact that he is one of those who went to Cheltenham, which according to this thread, last week, was a terrible thing.

Brolly is just trying to distract from the fact that he is one of those who went to Cheltenham, which according to this thread, last week, was a terrible thing.

Did he though? I can't find anything confirming he was there. It's possible, but having just listened to his interview and looking through his twitter feed it does seem unlikely. It would be the height of hypocrisy if he did go.

Did he though? I can't find anything confirming he was there. It's possible, but having just listened to his interview and looking through his twitter feed it does seem unlikely. It would be the height of hypocrisy if he did go.

Saw many point it out on Twitter last week after he made his remarks about Leo and didn't see any one counter those accusations at that point.

Maybe I am wrong in my assumptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,560 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

To be fair, if he did go, he wasn’t the only “public figure” to do so.

At least he’d have the “defence” that the British government said it was fine to attend.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Saw many point it out on Twitter last week after he made his remarks about Leo and didn't see any one counter those accusations at that point.

Maybe I am wrong in my assumptions.

I may well be wrong, I'm just looking at the picture now, It could be this year - but it's not confirmed anywhere. It could easily be from another year too.

To be fair, if he did go, he wasn’t the only “public figure” to do so.

At least he’d have the “defence” that the British government said it was fine to attend.

True, but if you look at his twitter feed and the large volumes of criticism he has there for the UK government's response(rightly so imo) and the interview he did with Gilroy would all be seriously undermined if he had been there.

True, but if you look at his twitter feed and the large volumes of criticism he has there for the UK government's response(rightly so imo) and the interview he did with Gilroy would all be seriously undermined if he had been there.

Similarly, if he had not been there, I think he would have enforced that fact at this point. Again, maybe he has, I haven't seen it.

• Advertisement

Similarly, if he had not been there, I think he would have clarified it at this point. Again, maybe he has, I haven't seen it.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think I saw that photo in a newspaper last year, I tried doing a google search on it but it just brings me back to the original twitter post. Maybe someone more up on these things than me could find the original source of the photo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement