Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

just off the phone, 1st offer 10 quid off for 6months (b got offered 15 off yesterday) laughed my head off, then put on hold 3 times offered 15 off for 6 months said no, kept pushing my friend got offered 9 months yesterday etc. finally she broke and gave me 6 months half ( im half hr deep into my call the kids swarming around me with hunger) took the offer. moral of the story, ring them and bully them like a hollywood producer

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭noble00

Hi when ye ring what exactly do you say , can I have nine months or start off with I want to cancel and then go from there , thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

noble00 wrote: »
    Hi when ye ring what exactly do you say , can I have nine months or start off with I want to cancel and then go from there , thanks

Tell them you want to cancel. They'll "see what they can do for you" and come back with €10 off. Say no, too dear, you want to cancel. They'll go off again and come back with half price (if you're one of the lucky ones!). Tell them about the Pure Telecom offer of six month's half price offer (don't mention it's an 18 month contract!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Del007

What provider do onebigswitch use?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Solaris10

Del007 wrote: »
    What provider do onebigswitch use?

Pure Telecom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

So if you have TV+BB+Phone you can push to get 9 months half price
    For BB+Phone you can get half price for 6 months ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

billbond4 wrote: »
    So if you have TV+BB+Phone you can push to get 9 months half price
    For BB+Phone you can get half price for 6 months ?

Yep. Don't give up. Keep ringing till you get what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

chaps I am paying out approx €105 p/month for Broadband, phone and TV (including a multi-room option) I have recently upgraded to their fastest broadband. If I ring tomorrow what am I looking at getting off and for how long? Im sick of paying out so much, but the Broad band is extremely fast.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Called today. My contract was up in december anyways. Told her straight out im calling because of contract change and want to renew, what can they do for me. First she said 15 off for 3 months.
    Told her thanks I will have a look at what else is out there and get back to her.
    She then asked would I like to hold while she asks her manager if theres anything more they can do for me, without me asking or pushing. So I obliged and waited about 10 seconds and she came back with 6 months half price. Happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Tell them you want to cancel. They'll "see what they can do for you" and come back with €10 off. Say no, too dear, you want to cancel. They'll go off again and come back with half price (if you're one of the lucky ones!). Tell them about the Pure Telecom offer of six month's half price offer (don't mention it's an 18 month contract!)

Or rather you're considering it in case they call your bluff and cancel......tbh the other providers don't provide enough of a carrot for me to go elsewhere .......I haven't tried this yet and don't recall ever getting a 'deal' off them in all the years I 've had it so it's worth giving a go .........if they're not forthcoming with anything then I really will consider moving out of principle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

It was like trying to flog a dead horse, my rep just wouldn't budge, said I was going to cancel and he said no problem, 30 days from now etc....Fecker....

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭BLUEYK

Can someone post the cancellation email address?

A very effective way I do this every time is send in the cancellation email. They will ring you back several times during the 30 days period. Stick to your guns until you get what you want i.e. 6 mths half price min. Try your luck to get 9 mths but you will defo get 6 mths. In the past 4 yrs my contracts have been 6 mths half price or 9 mths half price consistently. Be armed with a reason, e.g. I'm moving to EIR to get the free sports channels.

To add, don't be afraid they will cancel your service. You can ring them at anytime to cancel your cancellation request and you are back to where you were. Rinse repeat when out of contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I got onto chat earlier, we’ve been with them for about 10-15 years at this stage. Just the 240MB broadband and phone (which we never use) and said I wanted to either cancel or talk deals.

She literally offered us nothing, said they couldn’t offer any discounts at all. We got 9 months half price last year, that was one of the only discounts we’ve ever had over the years. She even brought that up as a reason why they weren’t offering us anything.

Chat took almost 50 minutes to get to the point where I said I wanted to cancel, and because it took so long it had gone past 5pm and the loyalty team were already gone.

Gonna try again tomorrow to see if I can get somebody decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

DubDJ wrote: »
    I got onto chat earlier, we’ve been with them for about 10-15 years at this stage. Just the 240MB broadband and phone (which we never use) and said I wanted to either cancel or talk deals.

She literally offered us nothing, said they couldn’t offer any discounts at all. We got 9 months half price last year, that was one of the only discounts we’ve ever had over the years. She even brought that up as a reason why they weren’t offering us anything.

Chat took almost 50 minutes to get to the point where I said I wanted to cancel, and because it took so long it had gone past 5pm and the loyalty team were already gone.

i was in simillar position last year and when they put in initial increase of 5e,i opted to get 360mb speed and then negotiated 6mo off, got same this year even thou rep on the phone said 3mo half price but contract sent was for 6mo, double checked today on chat and was told its 6months so happy days till next year, so its really hit and miss who you get on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I went onto chat this morning, all in it took 1 hour 15 minutes! But about half of that was on hold for the loyalty agent. First offered 15 eur off for six months, reused and was offered 6 months half price. We have tv and bb so the full bill is 121 a month normally.
    Pushed for 9 months half price and there was no budging, we're only 2 months off a previous 9 month deal so she used that as a reason to refuse. Hadn't the heart to keep trying so just accepted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Just off the phone with them now. Have 240 BB and phone which would be 57 euro in Jan. Ended up getting the half price deal for 6 months after being offered 10 off first then 15. Took about 10 mins in total. Rang the 061 number which was mentioned above. :)

Just off the phone with them now. Have 240 BB and phone which would be 57 euro in Jan. Ended up getting the half price deal for 6 months after being offered 10 off first then 15. Took about 10 mins in total. Rang the 061 number which was mentioned above. :)

Should of held out for 9!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

DubDJ wrote: »

Followed up and got onto chat again this morning. Completely different type of customer service agent this time. Offered €10 off for six months, then €15. After I mentioned the €55 sky deal with 6 months half price he was about to let me leave as he "couldn't do any better", when he said he'd check with a colleague and came back with the 6 months I wanted. 
    I doubt I would of gotten anything more from him, and we had 9 months half price last year so I probably wouldn't of gotten the same this year. Took about 45 mins again this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Has anyone just tried emailig cancel@virginmedia to see if they get a callback

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Sappy404

For those on the fence thus far or who just haven't called yet, they're doing either

- Sky Sports for €1 or
    - mobile for €5

...for 6 months for Black Friday Weekend, incl. Cyber Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Rafloution

6 months half price BB and TV.
    1 EUR for sky sports added. 3rd or 4th call with them. It's a headache every time the price increase comes around. They'd be better off building a loyalty scheme for customers over 10 years get half price 6 months , 5 years 3 months half price automatically...etc. that way everyone would stay and save on a few loyalty staff.

Anyway their model of retention is built from when people never talked about their deals because there was no platform, nowadays they need to rethink. Anyone looking for 6 months just ring every day and keep asking

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭whampiri

Besides the faster broadband with virgin,can anyone give me a reason not to switch to eir and take this deal? https://switcher.ie/broadband/providers/eir/superfast-broadband-unlimited-mobile-and-uk-calls/?utm_source=mgi

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

whampiri wrote: »
    Besides the faster broadband with virgin,can anyone give me a reason not to switch to eir and take this deal? https://switcher.ie/broadband/providers/eir/superfast-broadband-unlimited-mobile-and-uk-calls/?utm_source=mgi

I've ended up having to take EIR to court on two separate occasions for illegal deductions from my bank account- totalling over 12k on one occasion (this was when you couldn't cancel a standing charge)- which they didn't defend in court- and I got a full refund on one occasion- I've still a debt of about 700 Euro going back over a decade that I'll never get back.

If anything at all goes wrong with EIR- it doesn't matter what they do or don't do- they will blame you- you are automatically to blame- even for things that are patently their fault.

I documented one of my incidents as it happened with Eircon on Boards- I'm going to get the kids up now- I'll see if I can find it later for you.

Eircom- if everything works- are fine.
    If anything at all goes wrong- they are a nightmare on steroids to deal with.

Also- Eircom have packet inspection software- and if they suspect you're downloading illegal torrents- will yank your connection- no questions asked. I shared a 4 hour video of my sister's wedding with family members around the road- using a torrent. I got blacklisted- because anyone who uses torrent software- has to be doing something illegal. Nope.

Eircom also have historically sold customer data to third parties- there have been a few complaints to the Data Protection Commissioner about this down the years. Its less an issue now, than it once was (and with GDPR on the imminent horizon all service providers are terrified to share anything with anyone). I'd be hesitant to trust them- given my history with them.

If Virgin's services go titsup- it can take a while to resolve the issue- and their engineer callout windows are cat- but they are the easiest of the service providers to deal with (wholly aside from the fact that their internet is uncontended- versus sometimes silly contention ratios from some of the other suppliers).

I wouldn't wish Eircom on my worst enemy- they are a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Staplor

I got half price for 6 months.

Spent a while moaning but it was worth it, initially I was offered a tenner off a month. Said sky offered half price for 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭ando

I Sympathies with your experiences, I personally only just had a week long battle with them, but common man, using a torrent to share a video, only asking for trouble when there are SO many other ways to do it!
    I've ended up having to take EIR to court on two separate occasions for illegal deductions from my bank account- totalling over 12k on one occasion (this was when you couldn't cancel a standing charge)- which they didn't defend in court- and I got a full refund on one occasion- I've still a debt of about 700 Euro going back over a decade that I'll never get back.

If anything at all goes wrong with EIR- it doesn't matter what they do or don't do- they will blame you- you are automatically to blame- even for things that are patently their fault.

I documented one of my incidents as it happened with Eircon on Boards- I'm going to get the kids up now- I'll see if I can find it later for you.

Eircom- if everything works- are fine.
    If anything at all goes wrong- they are a nightmare on steroids to deal with.

Also- Eircom have packet inspection software- and if they suspect you're downloading illegal torrents- will yank your connection- no questions asked. I shared a 4 hour video of my sister's wedding with family members around the road- using a torrent. I got blacklisted- because anyone who uses torrent software- has to be doing something illegal. Nope.

Eircom also have historically sold customer data to third parties- there have been a few complaints to the Data Protection Commissioner about this down the years. Its less an issue now, than it once was (and with GDPR on the imminent horizon all service providers are terrified to share anything with anyone). I'd be hesitant to trust them- given my history with them.

If Virgin's services go titsup- it can take a while to resolve the issue- and their engineer callout windows are cat- but they are the easiest of the service providers to deal with (wholly aside from the fact that their internet is uncontended- versus sometimes silly contention ratios from some of the other suppliers).

I wouldn't wish Eircom on my worst enemy- they are a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

hi all, going to get on to these in the morning and reference sky half price for six months offer. However, I have been using an amazon fire stick with ntv.mx and can get pretty much anything I want to watch for about €15 p/month.
    My main issue is that I need the broadband and my wife 'cant be dealing with all that kodi shiet'... I would love to walk away and stop paying the €100+ p/month but aint to sure of my options.
    Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Does anyone know what sky deals are available in store? (In shopping centres)?

The best deal on B.B.and (house) phone so far is eir €35 per month for 6 months and €40 per month for 6 months. You get a free tablet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Millem wrote: »
    Does anyone know what sky deals are available in store? (In shopping centres)?

The best deal on B.B.and (house) phone so far is eir €35 per month for 6 months and €40 per month for 6 months. You get a free tablet.

The only tablet that would convince me to go with Eir is Prozac........
    I'll see if I can sus out what Sky will do during the week- my Virgin contract is up on the 4th Dec.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

The only tablet that would convince me to go with Eir is Prozac........
    I'll see if I can sus out what Sky will do during the week- my Virgin contract is up on the 4th Dec.

Haha I don’t find virgin B.B. great. The black box was horrific....the white box is better ;)
    I will try and ring a sky store today.

I could of sworn it tv, B.B. and phone for €5o with sky but on the website it is tv and B.B. for €50 not phone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Get a new wife.

Advertisement