Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Moose1

I'm on 47.50 rising to 52.50 BB only package.

Was only offered 10 euro off for 3 months. I said no and was then offered 15 off for 3 months. Said no again and they accepted my cancellation.

I got rid of the TV from my package - Total was going up to €92.50 a month.

If you have TV with tuner they still send down the 16 channels. Buy a splitter and run one into the Modem and one into the back of the TV.

RTE1 /2
    TV3/BE3/Other 3
    TG4
    BBC1/2
    SKy one/news
    Comedy central
    MTV
    Living
    Channel 4/E4
    Discovery

Moose1 wrote: »

If you have TV with tuner they still send down the 16 channels. Buy a splitter and run one into the Modem and one into the back of the TV.

RTE1 /2
    TV3/BE3/Other 3
    TG4
    BBC1/2
    SKy one/news
    Comedy central
    MTV
    Living
    Channel 4/E4
    Discovery

Didn't know that- thanks! I have an aerial for our tv to pick up saorview channels but it doesn't work great, will try this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

They offered me 6 months half price on the broadband but basically after the 6 months, all I pay is 3 euros less than the price change amount.

Its a disgrace.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Moose1 wrote: »

RTE1 /2
    TV3/BE3/Other 3
    TG4
    BBC1/2
    SKy one/news
    Comedy central
    MTV
    Living
    Channel 4/E4
    Discovery

Note- this only works in some areas- they have switched off the analogue signal in parts of Cork, Galway and Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭Browney7

For people who are getting deals, is it viable for you to switch to a competitor if needs be? My apartment is only linked up to a pretty slow eircom line so VM is the only show in town for us so not sure if VM would tell me to sing for it knowing their competitors product is inferior?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

Browney7 wrote: »
    For people who are getting deals, is it viable for you to switch to a competitor if needs be? My apartment is only linked up to a pretty slow eircom line so VM is the only show in town for us so not sure if VM would tell me to sing for it knowing their competitors product is inferior?

I honestly think that VM are doing just that. They know that they are the best by a long shot (only with their BB though) and this typically only applies to the high tier users. VF, Eir & sky are all coming into the game now with the addition of fibre; nowhere near the top end 360mb that VM currently offer but I'd wager that only a very small amount of domestic users actually need that. I'm sure most would be fine on the provision a solid 60mb line in reality. And on the TV front, of those customers with the TV package, I'd say the bulk of them watch what is freely & legally available (via Freesat/FTA/Saorview) most of the time.

What'll do VM harm I reckon is the shoddy TV package; Sky are far superior in their UI which is a key factor for me: Sky Q is class - Horizon is very poor by comparison, and has been since it's inception with virtually zero improvement since launch. If sky offer competitive packages for the dual service, I reckon VM will lose plenty of customers.

dodzy wrote: »
    I honestly think that VM are doing just that.

I have had chats in which the Virgin adviser spent 10 minutes berating Sky and Eir and everyone else. In fact I had an Irish guy from Virgin once who told me "sure Sky are ****e and Eir a joke".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

colm_mcm wrote: »
    They're on about changing to sky though.

oops, with SKY you will need a phone line. And the modem and phone plugs into the phone line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭torrevieja

My contract is up in January as far as i know but can i cancel it now ?

also do u think i would get a better offer in January when the contact has finished ? cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

I have had chats in which the Virgin adviser spent 10 minutes berating Sky and Eir and everyone else. In fact I had an Irish guy from Virgin once who told me "sure Sky are ****e and Eir a joke".
    truth be told they sort of are if it comes down to BB service.
    been with eircom for 5 years and issues cost headaches and speed was misery,VM thou bold but service interuptions at least you get it fixed in few hours and notified if you call their number,in 5 years not a single failure that would of lasted more then few hrs,nothing close to what nightmares would been back with eircom days.
    torrevieja wrote: »
    My contract is up in January as far as i know but can i cancel it now ?

also do u think i would get a better offer in January when the contact has finished ? cheers

thats a tricky one since increase is due in January,but no emails have been or any info received not by me anyways, as in details would you be eligible to cancel due to increase if they left some loophole early if they send it out early so worth to give a call and ask if switching.

• Advertisement

scamalert wrote: »
    truth be told they sort of are if it comes down to BB service.
    been with eircom for 5 years and issues cost headaches and speed was misery,VM thou bold but service interuptions at least you get it fixed in few hours and notified if you call their number,in 5 years not a single failure that would of lasted more then few hrs,nothing close to what nightmares would been back with eircom days.

There is no doubt that when it comes to speed they are the best but the fact that they allow their advisers to run down competition is strange. There's no need for it and it comes across poorly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭dubrov

30 days notice is required to cancel. If you ring 30 days before the contract ends you well get the same deal and save a month at paying the top rate

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭pilotsnipes

Like others here I got the email saying I was getting an increase in my bill AND the removal of the self serve discount.

Furious at this. The cheek to remove the self serve discount and then continue to pocket the savings of not sending me my bill cannot be tolerated.

So I would implore everyone to do as I've just done and switch your PAPER BILL option back ON. It's time to hit back and get what we now pay for.

It takes about 30 seconds

1) Log into the viginmedia website
    2) Click on "My Bills & Payments"
    3) Then "Change my billing options"
    4) Click "Switch to paper billing"
    5) Press the red save button.

Thanks.:mad:

virginbill.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

And while you are at it, change the payment method from direct debit to giro and pay with credit card each month manually just to make it more costly for them to deal with you.

That way in a couple of weeks they are introducing a paper statement convenience fee and an alternative payment surcharge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

And while you are at it, change the payment method from direct debit to giro and pay with credit card each month manually just to make it more costly for them to deal with you.

If your credit card has a rewards scheme you’ll also make a few pennies back paying by card, the few pennies that they’ve charged VM to do the transactions!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

Taken from another thread...

https://siro.ie/siro-sky-partnership/

VM better think again about how they treat their current customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

jay0109 wrote: »
    Well, I got cut off by Virgin this week after being a customer for over 10 years.
    Best I could get was 3 months half price for TV/Broadband as they said I'd used up all my 6 month/9 month offers.
    The only phone calls I got from them in the past 30 days was with regards to collecting their equipment. No offers, no Loyalty team calls, nada.:(

I switched to Sky and when the installation guy came out to set up the dish, he advised he couldn't get a signal because too many trees in neighbour's/my own gardens close to my house. And this in inner suburban Dublin.

The landline is on the old DDSL line so the best speeds it can muster is 18mbs so can't switch to Vodafone/eir. So you don't have to live in the bog to get crap broadband in Ireland :mad:

So it's either FreeTV via putting a dish up 1 of the trees and running cables across the garden. Or go back to Virgin with my tail between my legs.

Fuming:mad:

Could another adult in your house sign up as a new customer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭kindalen

Just got 6 months half price on bb/phone package. Mentioned the above Siro/Sky deal, which probably helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,760 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Online chat queue times are worse now than they ever were before. Been in queue for last 12 minutes and only moved from 4th to 3rd. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

ceekay74 wrote: »
    Taken from another thread...

https://siro.ie/siro-sky-partnership/

VM better think again about how they treat their current customers.

At what price?

vast majority of people are complaining they want a reasonable BB at a reasonable cost.......many find they don't need 200+ mb BB at spiraling prices so don't see how this is a great solution

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

sonofenoch wrote: »
    At what price?

vast majority of people are complaining they want a reasonable BB at a reasonable cost.......many find they don't need 200+ mb BB at spiraling prices so don't see how this is a great solution

I agree totally about not needing 200+ speeds.

There's no info on price that I saw, but a whole new fibre optic network being introduced can't be bad for competition!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

ceekay74 wrote: »
    I agree totally about not needing 200+ speeds.

There's no info on price that I saw, but a whole new fibre optic network being introduced can't be bad for competition!

Its to be rolled out over the ESB electricity cable network- so rollout costs shouldn't be as high as they might be for other operators- and Vodafone are one of the main shareholders in the company too- so it really sounds like it will be a third force in the market- the current duopoly are far too cosy for anyone's liking- its hardly a coincidence that they have all put up their prices at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Dealing with numpties in Virgin today - couldn't do the 6 month deal so Ive cancelled 2 accounts. I await the retention phone call.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭droidman123

Dealing with numpties in Virgin today - couldn't do the 6 month deal so Ive cancelled 2 accounts. I await the retention phone call.

This happened to me on friday,i got the cancel confirmation email 15 minutes after the phone call,then a few hours later an email about the collection of their gear.i have a feeling they wont be giving me a retention phonencall

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

This happened to me on friday,i got the cancel confirmation email 15 minutes after the phone call,then a few hours later an email about the collection of their gear.i have a feeling they wont be giving me a retention phonencall

Sick of them anyway, doing this dance the past 4 years now. Told me I couldn't get it because I've gotten 6 months in the past. Joke of a company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Amouar

Sick of them anyway, doing this dance the past 4 years now. Told me I couldn't get it because I've gotten 6 months in the past. Joke of a company.

They told me the same. They said no way I could get half price 6 months as I got it in the last 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

i like idea of actually getting the bill,is it me thou that until recently few months back or less that online you could see your bill now it seems theres no more option where is says your bill is due xx.xx amount on date and they rather credit it from account beggining of the month usually 6-7th even thou mine is setup for like 23 of the month since im on using prepaid service and put funds in advance when have to spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Amouar

kindalen wrote: »
    Just got 6 months half price on bb/phone package. Mentioned the above Siro/Sky deal, which probably helped.

Is it your first time getting 6 months half price?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

That way in a couple of weeks they are introducing a paper statement convenience fee and an alternative payment surcharge.

There doesn't appear to be an option to change the method of payment for me.

I'm sick and tired of this annual dance but they are the only show in town for me so my only option is to make sure i get value for them removing the self serve discount. As soon as another fibre service is available for me I'll be switching.

Advertisement