Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Treble double

All I'm saying is it's a waste of time listing off names of lads that would make the county unless there is knowledge that they have the desire and discipline to commit to the county,
    I see it on here with the hurling, loads of names being put forward, u would be forgiven for thinking we had intercounty hurlers coming out our ears. I was at the bridge, inagh kilnamona semi final and was shocked at how much the current inter county players on both sides stood out from the rest. David Fitzgerald, the McCarthy's, Jamie Shanahan, Cathal Malone were at a different level hurling and conditioning wise to the rest which would be depressing for county selectors

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

You aren't going to discover intercounty hurlers or footballers in October, which is why I think that the club championships should be played off in the summer, if intercounty players are worried about getting injured or don't want to play so be it, it's tough for clubs with lots of county players but the way things are going for our intercounty players is if you weren't a good minor player you aren't going to be looked at for senior.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Treble double

Clareman wrote: »
    You aren't going to discover intercounty hurlers or footballers in October, which is why I think that the club championships should be played off in the summer, if intercounty players are worried about getting injured or don't want to play so be it, it's tough for clubs with lots of county players but the way things are going for our intercounty players is if you weren't a good minor player you aren't going to be looked at for senior.

Ya I would agree with that, with development squads now if you aren't on the radar around minor u could miss the boat.

It's a pity because u have fellas that develop later and become real robust tough players because they have had to fight for everything up along and sometimes they are lost to inter county, Im not sure are development squads the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Killian Blake was mentioned didn't feature for Doonbeg at all this year was a sub, maybe mixed up with Joe Blake, who is the wrong age profile now for playing county
    Mark McInerney didn't start for Eire Og in any championship game prior to the b competition
    Anyway it's fellas that have the discipline and desire to commit to inter county that will be brought in, it's a way of life now almost full time commitment, u have alot of handy club footballers who haven't got the required character for that.

Every one of them players we mentioned are probably better then some of the current panelists,

There are a number of players that made there adult debut at intercounty before club since Collins took over

In regards hurling, tipperary and kilkenny flood there panel with fringe players in the league every year to see if they offer anything, we seem to just pick the same 15 for munster league, national league or championship,

Your never going to know what you have until you try out these guys

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Having fellas playing during the summer will allow you get a sense of who's going well and who isn't, intercounty hurlers are being shielded away from club hurling way too much in my opinion, ffs there's a real chance that the Clare football championship won't be over until November and the intercounty team were out of the championship in July, now a replay in the final doesn't help but surely there could be a few games played in May and June

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 AnClar14959713

Didn't Mark McInerney play soccer for Limerick this season? His sister is playing for Munster in rugby as well, serious sporting family.

Mark McInerney is a very talented player. It was interesting however that he didn't make himself available for selection for the Clare Under-20 panel this year, (mainly due to Seamus Clancy's poor management of the team). He is still eligible for U-20 in both 2020 and 2021 though. He was brilliant for the Clare minors in 2018 along with Shane Meehan. He can kick with both feet which is a huge asset going forward.

Yesterday I would not read too much into Mark's or any of the other Eire Og or Kilmihil's players performances yesterday in the B final, as the game was played at a very pedestrian pace, and there was a huge amount of space inside, which you would not get in a proper full-blown knockout championship match.

I hope that Mark commits to the U-20's at least in the new year, with Michael Neylon, who is a very shrewd operator and coach, in charge of the side for 2020 replacing Clancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭funnyname

What was so bad about Clancy, he had previously been minor manager so they must have seen something in him.

Wrt u20, it's a bit of a nothing grade now given teams could be training for 3 to 4 months and get knocked after one game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

funnyname wrote: »
    What was so bad about Clancy, he had previously been minor manager so they must have seen something in him.

Wrt u20, it's a bit of a nothing grade now given teams could be training for 3 to 4 months and get knocked after one game.

It's already being compromised by the removal of intercouinty senior players.

I'm pretty confident that the hierarchy would prefer to dispense with inteercounty u-20, its pretty much superflous with the % of players playing 3rd Level competitions.

funnyname wrote: »

Many of our top young players who were eligible for U20 selection, including Emmet McMahon, Mark McInerney, Padraig Kelly, Chibby Okoye to name but a few. All those lads just did not commit in 2019.

Clancy was probably just about as bad as you can get as a manager. A great player, he most certainly is, but was also a very poor manager. His club managerial record with his own club Corofin was woeful and while we did reach the Munster minor final in 2017, we defeated Limerick, Waterford and a Tipperary team who were without many of their best players due to the Liam Cahill's reticence to allowing dual players in his minor hurling squad.

Those three teams we defeated in 2017 were very poor and even if Clare had no manager we would still have qualified for the Munster final, in which two things stood out against Kerry. We scored 3 points throughout the 60 mins, and conceded 2-21 in the other end.

This year the Seamus Clancy managed Clare U20's took on Waterford in the 1st round of the Munster U20 Football Championship on July 2nd. A Deise side that only got together 4 weeks previously. Incredibly despite this clear disadvantage of the lack of preparation, it was Waterford that came out on top.

Unbelivably Clancy wanted to stay on for a third year in the role. But in the one of the very very few good things that our "esteemed" county board ever did, Michael Neylon was brought in and I expect a very competitive Clare U20 football team in 2020 under the Miltown Malbay clubman's guidance.

I might seem harsh, but those that have worked under Clancy have said the same that I have mentioned in the above. Great player, but certainly not managerial material.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Killian Blake was mentioned didn't feature for Doonbeg at all this year was a sub, maybe mixed up with Joe Blake, who is the wrong age profile now for playing county

Not to be dragging on, I was on about Killian, he was previously involved with the clare panel but left due to work commitments in London, a tidy corner back I hear he will be around next year so I would have him as a back up option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Intermediate game, I'll agree with most here

Senior B was probably the best game of the weekend, however something needs to be done with senior be, perhaps the winners would get seeded as 5th in the county for the following year

The Senior while probably a great game for both sets of supporters, was a tough game to watch as a neutral, 7 backs Vs 7 backs really, and seemed a slower game than the Senior B.

I thought the Ref did a great job, there was so much hype around that game it could very quickly have become ugly, and no matter what people will always give out (same people that wouldn't ref an U10s game), I spotted him several times explaining a decisions, a great move.
    I think Hickey said it perfectly during the week, a ref will make over 300 decisions a game.

Barry also did a good job of the Senior B and should be commended for asking for the stretcher very quickly after Dan Keating went down (side note bad form from the Clare Gaa TV lads, focusing in on the player and comments made around the injury)

Replay Sunday 27th 2pm - no admission announced yet

Brian Lohan and Louis Mulqueen are the only two nominees for the Clare senior hurling manager's role, confirmed by Clare GAA tonight. So we basically wasted two weeks with exactly where we were at on October 9th, where club delegates decided that the previous botched process needed to be re-started. What a flipping mess!!!!!!

Clare hurling is in a very dark place. Can I also ask, which club/s nominated Louis Mulqueen, a man who was resoundingly rejected by delegates on that very same night!!!!

Brian Lohan and Louis Mulqueen are the only two nominees for the Clare senior hurling manager's role, confirmed by Clare GAA tonight. So we basically wasted two weeks with exactly where we were at on October 9th, where club delegates decided that the previous botched process needed to be re-started. What a flipping mess!!!!!!

Clare hurling is in a very dark place. Can I also ask, which club/s nominated Louis Mulqueen, a man who was resoundingly rejected by delegates on that very same night!!!!

I wouldn't say we waisted two weeks, if the club's standing up to the mafia trying to push through a nomination that if people are to be believed was a place holder for Davy, then I'll happily lose those 2 weeks, our county board is a f**king joke at this stage and not fit for purpose

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭caddy16

Your missing the point, there wasn't a selection process previously there is now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dickie9

Pity Paul Kinnerk didn't throw his hat into the ring be a great choice cant see him leaving limerick

Fergal Lynch has re-entered the race to become Clare minor hurling manager, just days after he announced he was stepping down from the role. Clare U-16 hurling manager Brian Coffey is also in the race. My blood is boiling now. My assumption is that Pat Fitz asked Lynch to return as was a Fitz loyalist. What a you know what of a man Lynch actually is. I hope to God that Coffey gets the job. He is the way better candidate full stop. Something is deeply rotten with Clare GAA and Pat Fitz is so toxic at this stage. Unbelievable stuff. My heart is breaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dickie9

Miltown v Kib Replay
    2pm Cusack Park Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Toetohand

Mark McInerney didn't start for Eire Og in any championship game prior to the b competition.

Mark is in his last year as a minor. Came on and scored a point vs Cratloe scored 1-02 vs Clondegad in group games. Bad day at office when he came on vs Doonbeg by his own high standards, but much better vs Kilmihil.
    Eire Og followed same pattern when introducing Gavin Cooney two years ago and it has worked for them. At 18-20 players develop rapidly but you can also set them back permanently. I’d say the logic is they’re trying to protect a player who they hope to have for next decade. Very exciting prospect though two footed, can score, take frees can pick a pass, good in the air, big athletic frame but he’s still developing.
    I’d be of opinion to let him develop another year in U20 set up. If he’s showing same level of progress there nothing to stop Colm Collins bringing him in then ?

So 12 hours after the night before, I am still raging and struggling to come to terms, in relation to the latest developments regarding the Clare senior hurling manager's job and the new controversy that has bubbled up regarding Fergal Lynch re-entering the race for the Clare minor hurling manager's gig.

This has all the hallmarks of some kind of "Pat Fitz stroke" that those close to him, only know too well what that man is well capable of. He is deliberately using Brian Lohan as some kind of bargaining tool and making a fool out of him, so that he can get his ally and Fitz loyalist Louis Mulqueen as Clare senior manager and he will have the audacity to say that the "there was a more democratic process this time and Mulqueen came out on top".

This type of tyrant behaviour by Fitz Snr. sickens my stomach. Him along with the county board's treatment of Donal Moloney, was such a classless thing to do to anyone, especially to Moloney, who always had the best interests of Clare hurling at heart, unlike our "esteemed administrators". However his attitude against the 95-97 class, shows what PF is all about. Vendettas and agenda-ridden are just of the characteristics, that you can say about this man. How dare he treats Lohan with that level of apathy and distaste.

If Mulqueen is railroaded through delegates in the coming days, a players strike is inevitable. The lads in the squad must be tearing their hair out and wondering, are we better off travelling to States or anywhere abroad for the year ahead. There is no hope for Clare hurling if Mulqueen, who is very much likely to use the "sweeper system" methods, gets the gig.

In other shocking developments last nights in Clare GAA, Fergal Lynch, who only announced just a fortnight ago that he was to step down from the minor hurling manager role, with unconfirmed reports suggesting it was to do with a lack of a proper budget, has re-entered the race for the job. Again another Pat Fitz ally, something smells rotten about this.

Brian Coffey, who was manager of the Clare U-15 hurlers when they won the U-15 All-Ireland hurling competition in 2018, is without a shadow of the doubt the best candidate by a mile. However it appears that PF wants Lynch for the role, as he is quite friendly with the Fitz's and also likes to use the "sweeper system", so that players can get accustomed with it, before the return of the current Wexford senior hurling manager to Clare in 2022. Fergal must withdraw his name to become minor boss as a matter of urgency, for reasons of fairness and integrity of the process. You can't just resign and then hey presto, you come back again. Then again its Clare hurling you are talking about.

Another process that has so many question marks hanging over it. In general there is a great sense of anger building regarding the behaviour of Fitz Snr. and the county board executive in general. The resentment by delegates shown on that October 9th meeting, against the botched process of appointing the biggest job in Clare GAA, must continue until such time that a new dynamic county board come in situ. I will continue to hold the county board to account for their actions and hopefully if Mulqueen or Lynch are the only names proposed for their respective roles, then a massive revolt will then come about by clubs. That is the hope anyways.

If clubs stand idle and allow PF gets his way yet again, the only alternative is an all-out players strike, which we in the Banner county, would fully support and stand shoulder to shoulder with these warriors, who have given so much of their time and dedication and their huge sacrifices that they have made since being part in underage development squads, all those years ago. They deserve so much better. We as Clare GAA supporters deserve better.

• Advertisement

The clubs played their hand 2 weeks ago and got what they wanted, the ability to be involved in the selection of the next senior manager, 2 weeks later 2 names have come to the front and guess what, they are the same 2 people, if I didn't know any better I'd suggest that instructions were sent out to all club delegates that they could pick anyone they wanted once it was Mulqueen or Lohan, it's a complete farce that only those nominated by local clubs would be in the mix, that removes everyone from outside the county.

As for the minor, this is a known holding tactic for Fitzy to come back, he'll be back when the current minors are just coming to senior and there's a few senior players still hanging around to be able to bring them through, anyone that watched any of the minor matches last year can see that they are just being groomed to play in the Fitzy style of play.

I think you are being very much blinded by your hatred of Pat Fitzgerald if you think Brian Lohan is a better candidate that Mulqueen.

Pogue eile wrote: »
    I think you are being very much blinded by your hatred of Pat Fitzgerald if you think Brian Lohan is a better candidate that Mulqueen.

I've been quite clear that I don't think Lohan has the qualifications for the job and in a 2 horse race he is clearly the underdog and would be reliant on an extremely strong backroom team to go with him. Mulqueen has the assistant qualifications as well as some club succes.

I don't think either candidate are good enough to manage the current group of Clare hurlers.

I've been quite clear that I don't think Lohan has the qualifications for the job and in a 2 horse race he is clearly the underdog and would be reliant on an extremely strong backroom team to go with him. Mulqueen has the assistant qualifications as well as some club succes.

I don't think either candidate are good enough to manage the current group of Clare hurlers.

Agree with all that, was replying to the previous poster.

So basically the 3 key criteria for appointing respective Clare inter-county hurling management teams, is the following.

1. A close ally to the Fitz's
    2. Uses the "sweeper system"
    3. Don't upset the apple cart, no public criticism of PF, DF, county board etc.

That's what appears to me. What a narrow way of thinking on behalf of our county secretary. It's making North Korea looking more democratic then Clare GAA.

While I agree about the huge reservations about Lohan, he is not a very good communicator of what he expects from his teams, it will be seen as a huge victory for the Fitz's, if Mulqueen gets the gig. Personally I feel that Louis is far too rigid as a coach and might not get the players buying in to his methods. That's a concern.

These are two very sub-standard manager's, I agree on that also. The problem that I have, is that just say that Mulqueen does well with the team and the signs are that they are going in the right direction after 2 years at the helm, then DF comes in in 2022 and brings a different approach again, albeit with the same "sweeper system".

However it appears regardless of whoever is manager between the two of them, they are quite literally "keeping the seat warm" for the second coming of you know who in 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Gael85

Any idea who Lohan would have in his backroom team?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

Louis Mulqueen is a proven coach though so ease up a bit there, did Liam Mellows play a sweeper last year in Galway, I genuinely don't know but maybe check it out first before assuming that he is going to copy Davy's style.

I would also be reluctant to cast Davy as the villain here, he has gone back to Wexford, they are going well with him so best of luck to the man.

I think you give far too much credit to the inept county board believing that there is a grand master plan to have the players ready for Davy in 2022 by having Fergal Lynch over the minors and Mulqueen over the seniors.

Remeber these clowns couldn't organise a bus or a meal in recent times.

Fergal Lynch did a decent job this year with the minors though his tactics let him down eventually, he probably deserves another year.

I would like to see Brian Lohan get the senior gig though. He's a serious guy and will not be found wanting I think.

Louis Mulqueen is a proven coach though so ease up a bit there, did Liam Mellows play a sweeper last year in Galway, I genuinely don't know but maybe check it out first before assuming that he is going to copy Davy's style.

I would also be reluctant to cast Davy as the villain here, he has gone back to Wexford, they are going well with him so best of luck to the man.

I think you give far too much credit to the inept county board believing that there is a grand master plan to have the players ready for Davy in 2022 by having Fergal Lynch over the minors and Mulqueen over the seniors.

Remeber these clowns couldn't organise a bus or a meal in recent times.

Fergal Lynch did a decent job this year with the minors though his tactics let him down eventually, he probably deserves another year.

I would like to see Brian Lohan get the senior gig though. He's a serious guy and will not be found wanting I think.

You are right marty, Mulqueen will probably get the gig and if he does then we as Clare GAA supporters must support the team regardless. There is no other choice on the matter.

However I strongly disagree on your opinions about Fergal Lynch. I think he underachieved hugely as Clare minor boss in 2019, with probably the best panel of players assembled in minor level for Clare since 2011. If Pat Fitz wasn't around then Brian Coffey who managed Clare U-15 and U-16 hurlers in both 2018 and 2019 respectively and did an outstanding job by all accounts, would have the job sown up.

IMO, my main hopes are resting on the minor position and hopefully common sense will prevail and Coffey gets the job. He has served his apprenticeship by being involved in coaching development squads and is an All-Ireland winning manager.

On a side note, I think that in the future, Bord na Og Iomaint and Bord na Og Peil should have the exclusive power of appointing the minor manager's job for both inter-county hurling and football minor teams respectively. It's the fair and sensible approach and this should be the model that needs to repeated in every county in Ireland.

So basically the 3 1 key criteria for appointing respective Clare inter-county hurling management teams, is the following.

1. A close ally to the Fitz's
    2. Uses the "sweeper system"
    3. Don't upset the apple cart, no public criticism of PF, DF, county board etc.

That's what appears to me. What a narrow way of thinking on behalf of our county secretary. It's making North Korea looking more democratic then Clare GAA.

I've taken the liberty of fixing your post. Pat Fitz is in place since the 90s and had some strong personalities to deal with and has proven himself to be an excellent politician. I'm not saying that he's not out to get the best for Clare GAA but he's out to get what he thinks is the best for Clare GAA which is completely his opinion and there isn't any changing for it.

• Advertisement

I don't think he did a decent job and I think it was his tactics that let the team down, he stepped down from the gig and now wants to be let back, I don't think he has warranted enough to stay in place for 3 years let alone be reappointed to the job.

Advertisement