Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Keano wrote: »
    While inter-county hurling is a step up from colleges you still work with a vast array of the inter-county hurlers. He also wouldn't had the big back room team he will have now with Clare.

Have you seen the resources available to UL teams? It's far superiour to most intercounty setups, I'm under no illusions that he will have to prove himself quickly, I do believe he will of the Liam Sheedy mindset. Lots of people thought him going back to Tipp was a risk...that worked out well. I don't for one second think we can the All Ireland but those players will have to work damn harder than they have under that last regime.

I don't know, colleges isn't exactly a year long job or even a week long and players have been selected for the management teams rather than having to go find players, maybe there might be a few trials

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Clareman wrote: »
    If it wasn't for the Fitz association Mulqueen would have been a good candidate but he's completely tainted by that association so could never get the gig. I don't see Lohan being good enough to be honest and if we get out of Munster in the next couple of years I'll be pleasently surprised, I'll still support them and go to matches.

1 thing that is constantly frustrating me is why we have to keep going back to the Clare team of 95, that's 25 years ago next season and we've only 2 of the other All Ireland's since then won, surely we should be looking outside the county.
    Sad reality is that no matter who we hired this year we were never getting out of Munster :(

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Treble double

Sad reality is that no matter who we hired this year we were never getting out of Munster :(

Exactly, best of luck to Lohan and I wish him every success but he has some job on his hands. We were second rate in Munster last year and those players are head and shoulders above anything else in the club championship so where is he going to get the improvement from, plus he is minus a free taker and ball winner in Duggan.
    All I can see is two medicore seasons and people screaming for little fishes to come back then, with all his bells and whistles, this could work out well for that faction.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Very good point but I honestly do think that we have the players to win an All Ireland, well we did 2 years ago, but we are lacking that top 2 inches, all too often players go missing or are happy to blame others or look to the sideline, in my opinion the best person to try to get an All Ireland out of this bunch of players would be someone with 3 or more "recent" Senior All Ireland's in their back pocket that the players could look up to

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Figerty

Expierence & success at managing a club, expierence & success as a selector at intercounty, expierence & success as a manager at underage intercounty level. Mulqueen had all of that, Lohan doesn't have any.

Managing UL to 2 Fitzgibbon titles when UL has some of the best scholarship programs and sporting facilities in the country at thier disposal isn't a great success level in my opinion, I'm not saying it's an easy title to win and a lot of luck is needed but when you've pretty much the pick of Clare, Limerick and Tipp and world class facilities at your disposal it's not that great.

Forget that he's 1 of the best full backs of all time, what has he done to make him qualified for the job?

Take the same parallel with Ger Loughnane. Never won anything with Clare except a National League medal, Lost Munster finals as a player they could have won, Managed a Clare U21 team and caused war at the time. Took over a clare team that had been hammered and turned it around.

Lohan CV is far stronger that Loughnanes at that time.

Whether he will be a success or not is a question. I don't discount Mulqueens CV, they way I look at it, who would you take into battle with you Lohan or Mulqueen?

Lohan every day.

• Advertisement

Exactly, best of luck to Lohan and I wish him every success but he has some job on his hands. We were second rate in Munster last year and those players are head and shoulders above anything else in the club championship so where is he going to get the improvement from, plus he is minus a free taker and ball winner in Duggan.
    All I can see is two medicore seasons and people screaming for little fishes to come back then, with all his bells and whistles, this could work out well for that faction.

Next year is our "hard year" with Cork and Tipp away and I'm hearing that a lot of players are looking to walk away/take time off, we might be lucky there isn't any relegation in the championship but if the county board are questioned there'll just be a "we did everything you wanted, blame the clubs" only for Davey to come back in a few years to save the day

Figerty wrote: »
    Take the same parallel with Ger Loughnane. Never won anything with Clare except a National League medal, Lost Munster finals as a player they could have won, Managed a Clare U21 team and caused war at the time. Took over a clare team that had been hammered and turned it around.

Lohan CV is far stronger that Loughnanes at that time.

Whether he will be a success or not is a question. I don't discount Mulqueens CV, they way I look at it, who would you take into battle with you Lohan or Mulqueen?

Lohan every day.

As you said Loughnane had worked with the players at under age level and was a selector with Gaynor so it was a logical step up, that was a very successful minor team don't forget. The hurling landscape back then was a far different model, looking at the other intercounty managers.

Saying all that, what's probably annoying me the most is that we've a choice between a Fitz lacky or someone else from the 95 team, it's probably better to have someone from the 95 team than an untested former Kilkenny hurler I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭letowski

I think the most important think for Lohan is to get his trainer and S&C appointments right. The trainer nowadays is the crucial part of any modern intercounty setup. Lohan could have all the right tactics and player selections next May, it wouldn't matter a jot if their touch, handling, striking is way off. This was always any issue with Davy's Clare teams, they were chronically flat in every first round championship game. Same goes to a lesser extent with the S&C coach. We saw last year the impact Tommy Dunne and Cairbre Ó Cairealláin had with Tipp in these areas, they hit Munster like a storm early in this year's Munster championship. Same goes for the work Kinnerk and O'Connor are doing in Limerick. These are crucial areas Clare need to get right next year.

With regards to Lohan himself, his main aim will be to bring a brand of hurling that gets the most out of the players at his disposal. He also has a lot of work to do with the back line in terms of coaching and structure. I will be interested to see what ideas he has, because this is an area I think he can excel at, given how an intelligent back he was in his playing career. Finally I suppose it goes without saying, but he needs to create a culture of accountability and competitiveness within the squad. Being a fresh voice and not really having managed any of these players should work for him, as he won't have any loyalty or preconceived notions about certain players, if they need to be dropped for poor performances.

Overall, I'm going to back him, he seems to be applying for the job for the right reasons in my view. That he can bring Clare hurling forward, because goodness this county needs a shake up and be brought up to modern standards, both on and especially off the field. I'll give him the league as his honeymoon period, don't care too much how we do, but my expectation is for Clare to finish top 3 in Munster and qualify for the AI series. That would be a solid first season in my view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 AnClar14959713

letowski wrote: »
    I think the most important think for Lohan is to get his trainer and S&C appointments right. The trainer nowadays is the crucial part of any modern intercounty setup. Lohan could have all the right tactics and player selections next May, it wouldn't matter a jot if their touch, handling, striking is way off. This was always any issue with Davy's Clare teams, they were chronically flat in every first round championship game. Same goes to a lesser extent with the S&C coach. We saw last year the impact Tommy Dunne and Cairbre Ó Cairealláin had with Tipp in these areas, they hit Munster like a storm early in this year's Munster championship. Same goes for the work Kinnerk and O'Connor are doing in Limerick. These are crucial areas Clare need to get right next year.

With regards to Lohan himself, his main aim will be to bring a brand of hurling that gets the most out of the players at his disposal. He also has a lot of work to do with the back line in terms of coaching and structure. I will be interested to see what ideas he has, because this is an area I think he can excel at, given how an intelligent back he was in his playing career. Finally I suppose it goes without saying, but he needs to create a culture of accountability and competitiveness within the squad. Being a fresh voice and not really having managed any of these players should work for him, as he won't have any loyalty or preconceived notions about certain players, if they need to be dropped for poor performances.

Overall, I'm going to back him, he seems to be applying for the job for the right reasons in my view. That he can bring Clare hurling forward, because goodness this county needs a shake up and be brought up to modern standards, both on and especially off the field. I'll give him the league as his honeymoon period, don't care too much how we do, but my expectation is for Clare to finish top 3 in Munster and qualify for the AI series. That would be a solid first season in my view.

1000% agree with you Letowski, on the money again. I will give all my support to Lohan, a man that took on the establishment and was not afraid to tell a few home truths, about the lack of openness and transparency in the running, operations and decision-making in our now disgraced CB.

He was the first of our 90's generation along with Jamesie O'Connor, after our disastrous 2015 campaign in all inter-county hurling grades, where we got it all wrong, both on and off the pitch, to call for a independent review of Clare hurling.

If he can give that passion and intensity as a manager, as he did as a player, wearing that infamous red helmet and that iconic number 3 shirt, then we will not be found wanting, in the intensity stakes anyways.

The county board must suck it up now, accept that Lohan is the boss and give all appropriate resources to both players, who were most critical with the lack of the basic, required resources that we take for granted as GAA supporters, back in that October 8th statement and likewise for the prospective management.

My message in particular is for our "esteemed" Runai. Don't put any road blocks against Lohan. Put personal agendas, vendettas to one side, for the good of Clare hurling and make sure that you will give him the necessary supports to Lohan. It is the very least that Brian, along with the Clare senior hurling squad deserves.

You will be judged on this and if you undermine the new management in anyway, just because he told things that you find uncomfortable with, then you will be held accountable for your actions and don't expect a successful coronation of your son in 2022, back in the Clare senior hurling hotseat, which is what you want all along, a bit like Boris's of the 31st of October "We leave the EU" obsession.

Finally I still hate to put all my hopes up that Lohan will be confirmed as Clare senior hurling manager, as knowing what Fitz Senior is well capable of, he could easily pull a trick out of the hat and turn our hopes into shattered grafetti. Nothing is confirmed until everything is confirmed is my mantra. It's the hope that kills ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,195 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Not sure about Lohan as a coach, but he does give the fresh voice we really need.

The wider panel need to know that with good performances they can play themselves on to the team.

Players on the team need to know that poor performance can see them dropped.

• Advertisement

How will there be a new voice? Sure he's from the same group that nearly every other Clare manager from the past 20 years are from and he only has 3 full months until the league starts to figure out what players he has let alone figure out who to play, I'd be surprised if the at least 12 of this years starting XV don't start next years championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Figerty

How will there be a new voice? Sure he's from the same group that nearly every other Clare manager from the past 20 years are from and he only has 3 full months until the league starts to figure out what players he has let alone figure out who to play, I'd be surprised if the at least 12 of this years starting XV don't start next years championship.

I agree with you there. Who has lit up the Championship this year that wasn't on a county panel. Who is waiting in the wings for a breath of fresh air.
    One thing Lohan may have is players coming back. Jamie Shanahan as an example, perhaps Conor McGrath and a few others.

I think we will need see a shift away from sweepers to individual responsibilty to win primary possession and creating dominance over your marker. The sweeper does away with a lot of that. How a team handles a sweeper is also the question if the new team can develop a way to beat a sweeper if coming from behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭letowski

Clareman wrote:

Its hard finding guys outside that era. If you take the beginning of the 90's to say the last of that team in 06 v KK in the AI semi, you get an age group of men roughly 45 to 60 years of age. Its very hard to get guys in theirs early 40's or younger that have enough experience (maybe im wrong?), while guys plus 60 may not be up to date with modern ways of running an intercounty team. Id say Liam Cahill, Davy, TJ Ryan and on the other side Cody are the only exceptions to this in the last 10 years off the top of my head.

The other option is of course look outside the county. Something I would be in favour of, but we know the CB wont do that. But other than that there arent much options inside the county. Lohan and Mulqueen are not an ideal cantidates, but Lohan can mitigate his lack of experience if he surrounds himself with the right men. True he doesnt have the CV, but you seem to imply that because he is on the 90s team he will have a similar hurling viewpoint/same voice to the others on that 90s team (siege mentality?, i dont know). I wouldnt agree with that, I dont see much evidence. The Sparrow to Davy to D&G all had completely different managerial styles. Nobody left was on the Mike Mac or Tony Considine managed teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

The county board don't have the money to go outside the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭funnyname

Jaysus, I wonder if boards existed in it's current format back in 1998 what people would be saying about the appointment of one Brian Cody, a man with no prior inter county experience.

funnyname wrote: »
    Jaysus, I wonder if boards existed in it's current format back in 1998 what people would be saying about the appointment of one Brian Cody, a man with no prior inter county experience.

There was a full and transaparent recruitment drive for Cody back in the day, the KK county board should be commended by avoiding the opportunity to go for a quick fix and go with someone that had a clear vision for how KK hurling should be managed.

So it appears that Fitz Senior, has been humiliated on two fronts in relation to the minor and senior hurling manager's position. Brian Coffey will become the new Clare minor hurling manager replacing Fitz favorite Fergal "Bruiser" Lynch.

While Brian Lohan will become the new Clare senior hurling manager, despite attempts by the Runai to get his man Mulqueen for the senior gig. Overall its very positive developments for Clare hurling with official confirmation on both appointments, along with updates for the U20 hurling position, on this Tuesday coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

So it appears that Fitz Senior, has been humiliated on two fronts in relation to the minor and senior hurling manager's position. Brian Coffey will become the new Clare minor hurling manager replacing Fitz favorite Fergal "Bruiser" Lynch.

While Brian Lohan will become the new Clare senior hurling manager, despite attempts by the Runai to get his man Mulqueen for the senior gig. Overall its very positive developments for Clare hurling with official confirmation on both appointments, along with updates for the U20 hurling position, on this Tuesday coming.

The next battle will be to fillet the Board. Let's shine a light on the top man and ask why he is clinging to power. Let's re open the questions surrounding the 2 million spent doing a 500,000 euro job in Cusack Park. Is our great sponsor wondering where his hard earned cash is going..

BloodyBill wrote: »
    The next battle will be to fillet the Board. Let's shine a light on the top man and ask why he is clinging to power. Let's re open the questions surrounding the 2 million spent doing a 500,000 euro job in Cusack Park. Is our great sponsor wondering where his hard earned cash is going..

On the ball again BloodyBill. The first thing you ask is in relation to "the Don". Now is the time of club delegates, to ask the biggest question of all, that to this day has not been answered appropriately. It's the question that every Clare GAA supporter, who has most serious concerns over our dysfunctional and disgraced CB. Why is Fitz Senior still the county secretary for over 25 + years now.

Personally PF has quite literally put the fear of God to clubs, many of them who want the current Clare CB Runai gone from office, along with the destabilizing impacts of the Fitz dynasty. Anyone who dares to question, undermine or threaten the authority of the Fitz Senior, will face negative consequences, like what Kilmaley GAA Club faced earlier in the year, after Conor Clancy rightly calling out the pathetic post-meal arrangements, that the Clare U20 hurlers had to endure when they played Galway.

Other issues like funding pulled from clubs for new floodlights, new pitches, new stands etc. are prime examples of how our county secretary operates, if he feels that his position in anyway threatened by clubs. That behaviour is not too dissimilar to what a tyrant would do.

To be honest I think that he is waiting on the following before he leaves office. A big golden handshake is one. His son returning to the Clare senior hurling manager's hotseat is another. While third and finally would be a member of the Fitz family, holding a senior position in the County Board executive. Until such time though, he is here to stay unfortunately.

Another issue you mention is the dogs dinner approach to the "new" Cusack Park. Add this issue too in the same context, the huge sums of money "gone missing" from the old "Clare Supporters Club". This same supporters club that did not publish their accounts and many questions remain about the complete lack of oversight and transparency over the financial irregularities in this same organization. Compare that to how Club Clare operated since 2017 and there is a huge difference.

The link here I feel is that the main reason why more funding or resources wasn't put into Cusack Park, along to this very day, the much needed improvements required to the public facilities in the Francis Street, Ennis based "GAA stadium", was due to the massive issues regarding, how such vast sums of money could be lost in this supporters club venture.

Other reasons may have impacted on how a supposed seven-figure sum, to go into this hugely important development of our main GAA stadium in Clare, could be done so badly. A dog's dinner, is what one supporter told me about this. But to me the issues regarding the "Clare supporters club" has left so many unanswered questions.

Other questions that should be examined by clubs would include the following. Where did all the money raised by "Clare Supporters Club" go to? Why to this day, there has been no investigation by our CB, in relation to this fiasco? Has anyone involved in the running of the club, been held to account here? Has any GAA club in Clare asked any questions of the CB executive about this most important issue? Finally the big question here is whether we can get the latest updated accounts from the now defunct "Clare Supporters Club".

Something smells funny about this and underlines the incredible lack of transparency and openness, of the operations and decision-making of the Clare CB top table. One thing is for certain though, as regards to what I said in the above, our "esteemed" senior county board administrators have done an "almighty" job in "brushing this issue under the carpet". Nothing to see here folks. "Move on people" is the establishment narrative!

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

On the ball again BloodyBill. The first thing you ask is in relation to "the Don". Now is the time of club delegates, to ask the biggest question of all, that to this day has not been answered appropriately. It's the question that every Clare GAA supporter, who has most serious concerns over our dysfunctional and disgraced CB. Why is Fitz Senior still the county secretary for over 25 + years now.

Personally PF has quite literally put the fear of God to clubs, many of them who want the current Clare CB Runai gone from office, along with the destabilizing impacts of the Fitz dynasty. Anyone who dares to question, undermine or threaten the authority of the Fitz Senior, will face negative consequences, like what Kilmaley GAA Club faced earlier in the year, after Conor Clancy rightly calling out the pathetic post-meal arrangements, that the Clare U20 hurlers had to endure when they played Galway.

Other issues like funding pulled from clubs for new floodlights, new pitches, new stands etc. are prime examples of how our county secretary operates, if he feels that his position in anyway threatened by clubs. That behaviour is not too dissimilar to what a tyrant would do.

To be honest I think that he is waiting on the following before he leaves office. A big golden handshake is one. His son returning to the Clare senior hurling manager's hotseat is another. While third and finally would be a member of the Fitz family, holding a senior position in the County Board executive. Until such time though, he is here to stay unfortunately.

Another issue you mention is the dogs dinner approach to the "new" Cusack Park. Add this issue too in the same context, the huge sums of money "gone missing" from the old "Clare Supporters Club". This same supporters club that did not publish their accounts and many questions remain about the complete lack of oversight and transparency over the financial irregularities in this same organization. Compare that to how Club Clare operated since 2017 and there is a huge difference.

The link here I feel is that the main reason why more funding or resources wasn't put into Cusack Park, along to this very day, the much needed improvements required to the public facilities in the Francis Street, Ennis based "GAA stadium", was due to the massive issues regarding, how such vast sums of money could be lost in this supporters club venture.

Other reasons may have impacted on how a supposed seven-figure sum, to go into this hugely important development of our main GAA stadium in Clare, could be done so badly. A dog's dinner, is what one supporter told me about this. But to me the issues regarding the "Clare supporters club" has left so many unanswered questions.

Other questions that should be examined by clubs would include the following. Where did all the money raised by "Clare Supporters Club" go to? Why to this day, there has been no investigation by our CB, in relation to this fiasco? Has anyone involved in the running of the club, been held to account here? Has any GAA club in Clare asked any questions of the CB executive about this most important issue? Finally the big question here is whether we can get the latest updated accounts from the now defunct "Clare Supporters Club".

Something smells funny about this and underlines the incredible lack of transparency and openness, of the operations and decision-making of the Clare CB top table. One thing is for certain though, as regards to what I said in the above, our "esteemed" senior county board administrators have done an "almighty" job in "brushing this issue under the carpet". Nothing to see here folks. "Move on people" is the establishment narrative!

'An Clar' I agree with all that. You put those questions better than anyone iv heard yet. Many many Clare people are uneasy about the County Board. The Cusack park development is/ was a fiasco. The standard of the refurbishment to the seated stand is appalling. It's a grade B stadium and isnt much better than Walsh Park in Waterford.
    Everyone goes stale when in a job or role for 25 years. Most top executives last about 5 years,if that . It needs fresh thinking. Unfortunately the countys delegates are poor aswell so the questions havent been asked,but they may be now. I wont rehash your pertinent points but I'd add a few more..1. Wheres the plan for the next 3 to 5 years.
    2. What are our objectives for underage...our schools are a shambles with the best of Sixmilebridge, Cratloe and Clonlara going to Ard Scoil and why wouldnt they when theres a professional programme to follow in comparison with the Shannon schools that are in disarray.
    3 we need a performance director and financial/commercial board.
    4 . The most important point...Who picks pat Fitzs wardrobe and cuts his hair...he pays homage to the 'Streets of San Francisco' with that 70s garb...but o guess it shows he still thinks its 1977.

• Advertisement

'An Clar' I agree with all that. You put those questions better than anyone iv heard yet. Many many Clare people are uneasy about the County Board. The Cusack park development is/ was a fiasco. The standard of the refurbishment to the seated stand is appalling. It's a grade B stadium and isnt much better than Walsh Park in Waterford.
    Everyone goes stale when in a job or role for 25 years. Most top executives last about 5 years,if that . It needs fresh thinking. Unfortunately the countys delegates are poor aswell so the questions havent been asked,but they may be now. I wont rehash your pertinent points but I'd add a few more..1. Wheres the plan for the next 3 to 5 years.
    2. What are our objectives for underage...our schools are a shambles with the best of Sixmilebridge, Cratloe and Clonlara going to Ard Scoil and why wouldnt they when theres a professional programme to follow in comparison with the Shannon schools that are in disarray.
    3 we need a performance director and financial/commercial board.
    4 . The most important point...Who picks pat Fitzs wardrobe and cuts his hair...he pays homage to the 'Streets of San Francisco' with that 70s garb...but o guess it shows he still thinks its 1977.

On the money yet again, BloodyBill. We both share the passions, to improving standards of Clare GAA, both on and off the pitch.

On your four points, the first you mention, there is no plan. Not just in relation to underage development, improving developments squads in both hurling and football. In general there is such a malaise in forward thinking in the CB top table, whether through accountability, or the lack of, in relation to key decision-making by senior Clare GAA administrators.

Holding management teams of all inter-county Clare teams of both codes to account, especially if they under-performed in the most recent season. An annual review of all Clare teams, in both codes regardless of their performances by people independent or non-associated of the inner circle of our "esteemed" county board. If we had an efficient County Board, then this would be norm.

The biggest plan should be that all sitting members of the Clare county board executive should have mandatory 3 year terms, instead of the current 5. Croke Park may not agree with this, but it will have to be done in order for an more accountable and more vibrant, energetic members to hold senior positions in county boards throughout the country.

Not only that, when their term ends, they should not be allowed hold another position in the executive. That includes all positions, not just vice-chairman, chairman, secretary, but other positions like development officer, PRO, Munster Council delegate etc.

It seems like a closed shop for anyone outside of the "inner circle" to have any role in the county board. We see for far too often, the "old guard" keep onto their executive positions, like moving the deck chairs around, a different position yes, but the same names keeping hold of their senior administrative roles in the GAA top table in the Banner County.

That is a toxic culture, certainly that's no way to run any organization. It reminds me like the bank executives behaviour during "the Celtic Tiger" years or "old men" politicians, having multiple positions in cabinet. You just cannot get transparency or accountability if this sort of practice keeps on and on. A recipe for disaster.

Other issues you mention is the decline of Shannon GAA. A huge concern that our airport town, is as you put it in such disarray, with the likes of St Caimins Secondary School, who only 5 years ago had Paul Kinnerk part of the teaching roster and were playing Harty Cup hurling. Now playing C grade, in senior schools hurling in Munster, what's happened?.

Wolfe Tones struggling to field full teams in senior grade, is surely a cause for concern for all Clare GAA supporters. Sadly that same concern is not shared by the CB. Don't expect the situation to improving standards in Shannon GAA, unless there is a huge effort by the relevant administrators to get GAA going again in the town.

You mention a performance director and an financial commercial board. Those who have read my posts will know that this is an absolute must. However who will fill these roles is the issue. Let Croke Park decide on that, as you cannot give that responsibility to the county board, for reasons you will well know.

As for Fitz senior. I don't need to remind posters about my views about him and what he needs to do.

If we are going to get this more open and transparent County Board, then these issues that myself, BloodyBill and other concerned posters here on Boards have mentioned throughout the last few weeks have raised, it must start from the club delegates. They hold that power to hold individuals in the CB top table to account. These people in the CB won't listen or read any of what I or anyone else think of them. The era of rudderless officialdom must come to an end.

On a separate note, people have mentioned to me why I don't get involved in the delegate side of the Gaa. I going through some very personal trying times atm, which goes beyond sport. For now though, I will continue to express my opinions on the sidelines and hope that the time will come that we will see a new era in the way that the county board operates and run its business in a far more coherent, transparent and accountable way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,954 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

On the money yet again, BloodyBill. We both share the passions, to improving standards of Clare GAA, both on and off the pitch.

On your four points, the first you mention, there is no plan. Not just in relation to underage development, improving developments squads in both hurling and football. In general there is such a malaise in forward thinking in the CB top table, whether through accountability, or the lack of, in relation to key decision-making by senior Clare GAA administrators.

Holding management teams of all inter-county Clare teams of both codes to account, especially if they under-performed in the most recent season. An annual review of all Clare teams, in both codes regardless of their performances by people independent or non-associated of the inner circle of our "esteemed" county board. If we had an efficient County Board, then this would be norm.

The biggest plan should be that all sitting members of the Clare county board executive should have mandatory 3 year terms, instead of the current 5. Croke Park may not agree with this, but it will have to be done in order for an more accountable and more vibrant, energetic members to hold senior positions in county boards throughout the country.

Not only that, when their term ends, they should not be allowed hold another position in the executive. That includes all positions, not just vice-chairman, chairman, secretary, but other positions like development officer, PRO, Munster Council delegate etc.

It seems like a closed shop for anyone outside of the "inner circle" to have any role in the county board. We see for far too often, the "old guard" keep onto their executive positions, like moving the deck chairs around, a different position yes, but the same names keeping hold of their senior administrative roles in the GAA top table in the Banner County.

That is a toxic culture, certainly that's no way to run any organization. It reminds me like the bank executives behaviour during "the Celtic Tiger" years or "old men" politicians, having multiple positions in cabinet. You just cannot get transparency or accountability if this sort of practice keeps on and on. A recipe for disaster.

Other issues you mention is the decline of Shannon GAA. A huge concern that our airport town, is as you put it in such disarray, with the likes of St Caimins Secondary School, who only 5 years ago had Paul Kinnerk part of the teaching roster and were playing Harty Cup hurling. Now playing C grade, in senior schools hurling in Munster, what's happened?.

Wolfe Tones struggling to field full teams in senior grade, is surely a cause for concern for all Clare GAA supporters. Sadly that same concern is not shared by the CB. Don't expect the situation to improving standards in Shannon GAA, unless there is a huge effort by the relevant administrators to get GAA going again in the town.

You mention a performance director and an financial commercial board. Those who have read my posts will know that this is an absolute must. However who will fill these roles is the issue. Let Croke Park decide on that, as you cannot give that responsibility to the county board, for reasons you will well know.

As for Fitz senior. I don't need to remind posters about my views about him and what he needs to do.

If we are going to get this more open and transparent County Board, then these issues that myself, BloodyBill and other concerned posters here on Boards have mentioned throughout the last few weeks have raised, it must start from the club delegates. They hold that power to hold individuals in the CB top table to account. These people in the CB won't listen or read any of what I or anyone else think of them. The era of rudderless officialdom must come to an end.

On a separate note, people have mentioned to me why I don't get involved in the delegate side of the Gaa. I going through some very personal trying times atm, which goes beyond sport. For now though, I will continue to express my opinions on the sidelines and hope that the time will come that we will see a new era in the way that the county board operates and run its business in a far more coherent, transparent and accountable way.

I agree with ye on pat Fitz but like Frank Murphy in Cork he is an unmovable object until Croke park decides otherwise

I do have some time for Cooney, I know alot of people see him as the right hand man in the regime but talking to people particular on the football side of things he has been a major player in the rise of clare football over the last few years

From a hurling point of view he seems to be following the party line as they say maybe if pat Fitz was gone he could have more of a say and impact on the hurling side of things, at the moment its pretty much pats baby

'

I was thinking more "Jake and the fat man" but that used to be on after "the streets of San Francisco" , 😂😂

I agree with ye on pat Fitz but like Frank Murphy in Cork he is an unmovable object until Croke park decides otherwise

I do have some time for Cooney, I know alot of people see him as the right hand man in the regime but talking to people particular on the football side of things he has been a major player in the rise of clare football over the last few years

From a hurling point of view he seems to be following the party line as they say maybe if pat Fitz was gone he could have more of a say and impact on the hurling side of things, at the moment its pretty much pats baby

Personally I agree with you re Cooney regarding the football side of things. For example he has brought some very shrewd operators for the minor and U20 football roles in 2020, Dermot Coughlan and Michael Neylon respectively and will get the best out of our young footballers. No fears there on that side.

Don't forget he was instrumental in keeping Colm Collins in the Clare senior football manager's hotseat, which in my opinion is Cooney's finest hour as chairman. He is certainly a better man for Clare football, then a certain Michael "Malty" McDonagh figure from Miltown, who imo is on a par with the current CB Runai, such was his strange and unpredictable actions and behaviour by Cooney's predecessor.

However as I said yesterday evening re positions at the CB top table, the Fine Gael councilor for East Clare has been a long serving member at the executive and while it is accepted he may not be the worst of them, he has under his watch as chairman, allowed "the Don" to have some kind of monopoly over key decision-making in relation to Clare hurling.

I also believe that Cooney made a big mistake, in not offering some kind of olive branch to some of our heroes of the 90's and ensuring that their voices would be heard, they see the CB as quite dismissive to their concerns about the way Clare GAA has been run.

Also another issue that's of huge concern to Clare hurling supporters, is the huge amount of top class hurling coaches from the Banner County, moving to other counties. Anthony Daly, Alan Cunningham, Aenghus O'Brien, Paul Kinnerk (yes he is a Limerick man, but is an unofficial honorary Clare man for his trojan work with Clare hurling), the Sparrow all are just some of the names that we would always welcome back here in Clare with open arms.

It is a complete disgrace that these men cannot get a coaching position in Clare hurling, whether through underage or development squads. They have so much to offer, but are surplus to requirements in the Banner County and I hold Cooney, PF and the rest of the county board to account on this issue.

There is so much wrong in how Clare GAA, is being run at the top table. You mention Frank Murphy, windy. Look at what Kevin O'Donovan has brought to Cork GAA, since he took over from Frank. He hasn't been at the job for a year but some of the achievements like putting in strong Cork inter-county management teams for 2020 at both codes. He brought in Keith Ricken as manager of the Cork U20 footballers, in his first big test of appointing management teams. The result. Munster and All-Ireland champions in that grade in 2019.

He has brought in a newly established High Performance Director, there are so many other positives that man has brought to Cork GAA. Above all else though, he is a man that has no agendas and unlike our "beloved" county secretary here in Clare, he will do whats right for Cork GAA, in other words he has always the best intentions for the county. No cronyism with appointments. Just getting the best people involved to get Cork GAA winning titles and competing more regularly in Croke Park, at the latter ends of the championship.

That type of forward thinking, innovative and dynamic style of leadership is what is clearly missing in the running of Clare GAA. I hope that the example of how Cork GAA has been transformed by O'Donovan, after years of same old, same old practices by an out of touch county board, should ring hollow to those in powerful positions in the Clare CB executive.

Change can be slow like what we are seeing in the FAI, at the moment. But the outcome should always be, that those involved as administrators in CB level, are always serving the best interests, for the good of GAA in the county. Sadly though this is not happening in Clare at the moment, with "you know who" the key sticking point for any real change in how our county board should operate.

The battle goes on for that change to take place. Hopefully those that can make that happen, in this case our club delegates, can take that leading role in demanding that Clare GAA goes to a different direction, for the better of all those volunteers and patrons, who serve our county with great distinction, to make our games better in Clare. It's the very least that we deserve.

St Josephs Miltown 0-12 Kilmurry Ibrickane 0-8

So for the third time in 4 years, its the men from Miltown that claim Jack Daly. It's a rare sight for any club to do back to back county championships, such is the competitiveness of the Clare senior football championship. But fair play to Miltown who finished much the stronger, scoring the last 5 points in the game, to claim the bragging rights, over their neighbours and longtime rivals from Quilty.

As expected both sides like 7 days ago, lined out with the sweeper, Shane Hickey for KIB and likewise for Miltown, the task was handed once again to Brian Curtin. KIB started very strongly. Darren Hickey in particular was immense in winning turnovers at the heart of the Quilty defense. While Shane Hickey was very impressive in his sweeper role early doors for KIB. When Keelan Sexton landed over his 4th first half score after 25 mins, the score was 5 to 2 in favor of the Quilty men.

KIB's ferocious pressure game, where time after time they successfully turned over huge amounts of Miltown ball, was most telling during that first 25 minute period. Their work off the ball, in all honesty they outworked the Miltown men for that time, was most impressive. The big question though was whether they could this pressure game up, considering the age profile of the Quilty side? The answer was decisive in the end.

From there on in, Miltown dominated and they got the last 3 scores of the half, including the first of 2 big scores from Conor Cleary. That left it 5 all at the break.

Any breeze that the Quilty side would have after the break, virtually died down. Points were exchanged between both sides. For KIB, Ian McInerney (free) and a 45 and a pointed free by Keelan Sexton. While at the other end, a pointed free from Eoin Cleary and a another big score from his brother Conor was what the Miltown men could muster up. At that point KIB were 8 points to 7 in front, with 5 minutes of normal time remaining.

However like true champions, it was Miltown all the way from there to the finish. 2 points from Darragh McDonagh, along with a free from Eoin Cleary and late scores from Cormac Murray and substitute Eoin Curtin, sealed a famous win for Miltown.

For the winners, Gordon Kelly, the captain, what can you say about him. He looks like he is the best shape of his life and he covered every blade of the Cusack Park grass and was always an option in attack off the shoulder, while also doing his bit on the defensive side. Brian Curtin put in an almighty shift in his sweeper role. A role that makes him such a reliable player, the way he wins turnovers and prepared to give his last drop for the West Clare parish town.

Conor Cleary scored two peaches of scores, I wonder whether Colm Collins can entice him to the Clare senior footballers for 2020. While another honorable mention must go to Darragh McDonagh, who was always a threat, with his direct runs causing huge problems for a tiring KIB team and could have got 2 goals, but just narrowly missed out, however his 2 points were just as effective. While another Miltown player, Gearoid Curtin also impressed, always offering himself in attack, while doing his defensive work in typical Curtin style. Such workhorses those Curtins are.

For KIB, their lack of scoring threat from play, was a decisive factor in why they fell short today. Just two of KIB's 8 points came from play. Heavily reliant on Keelan Sexton from placed balls, they huffed and puffed without really having the quality up front to get that all important green flag. Darren Hickey and Shane Hickey, in his sweeper role, were the best that the Quilty men got to offer. However like several of the Quilty players, they just ran out of steam at the end.

The big issue for KIB going forward is whether the younger players are good enough to replace to older brigade, who owe nothing to the club, Quilty and its surrounding areas like Mullagh for example. If KIB are to win Jack Daly, in the not too distant future, the younger lads need to step up. Until that time though, more will be expected of the likes of Michael Hogan, Michael O'Dwyer, Enda Coughlan, the Hickeys to name but a few, for the upcoming season. That would be a cause of concern for KIB going forward.

Congratulation to Miltown Malbay though. A tough, bruising 120 minutes plus, but were just about were the best team throughout the 2 matches. When they needed to improve their workrate, they did just that. They along with their huge number of support can now enjoy tonight. The journey back to West Clare, will be a most short and sweet one indeed. They can look forward to an Munster Quarter-final showdown with Rathgormack from Waterford, in Hennessy Park, Miltown on November 10th.

On a separate note a crowd of just 3,917 spectators was the official attendance in Cusack Park today, which is disappointing. Along with the poor crowds attending the county hurling final, just two weeks prior, will have those at Clare GAA HQ scratching their heads and wondering what more can be done to attract more patrons to club matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭KIB4Life

Congratulations to Miltown from a disappointed but proud Kilmurry man. There was a serious battle over 2 days where Miltown legs and just a little more firepower got them over the line. I thought Sean O’Brien had a superb game in goals when he caught three balls that where destined to go over the bar. There were chances there chances there for Kilmurry to be ahead at half time and once again going level when Kilmurry should really have been ahead at half time was a real killer blow from a KIB point of view. Conor Cleary really thundered into the game in the 2nd half, and shows what an asset he would be for the county footballers as I think that he is a much better footballer than hurler. I also thought Darragh McDonagh really was superb. Also best of luck to Miltown in Munster there is a great chance for them to get to another Munster Final with two potential home games to come. Some of the KIB players such as Hogan, Martin McMahon, Shane Hickey, Enda Coughlan, Michael O’Dwyer, Keith King, Ian “Pato” McInerney to name but a few owe absolutely nothing to Kilmurry and have been great ambassador’s to not alone club but county. There could be potentially lean years for the club ahead as there is an age Gap between players as Ciaran Morrissey and Darragh Sexton are the only players that started for KIB who are between the age of 24 and 29 with Morrissey being 24 and Sexton 27 and I feel that the where Kilmurry are falling down on as there are not too many players coming into their prime at that age, where Miltown have severeal players coming into that age.

KIB4Life wrote: »
    Congratulations to Miltown from a disappointed but proud Kilmurry man. There was a serious battle over 2 days where Miltown legs and just a little more firepower got them over the line. I thought Sean O’Brien had a superb game in goals when he caught three balls that where destined to go over the bar. There were chances there chances there for Kilmurry to be ahead at half time and once again going level when Kilmurry should really have been ahead at half time was a real killer blow from a KIB point of view. Conor Cleary really thundered into the game in the 2nd half, and shows what an asset he would be for the county footballers as I think that he is a much better footballer than hurler. I also thought Darragh McDonagh really was superb. Also best of luck to Miltown in Munster there is a great chance for them to get to another Munster Final with two potential home games to come. Some of the KIB players such as Hogan, Martin McMahon, Shane Hickey, Enda Coughlan, Michael O’Dwyer, Keith King, Ian “Pato” McInerney to name but a few owe absolutely nothing to Kilmurry and have been great ambassador’s to not alone club but county. There could be potentially lean years for the club ahead as there is an age Gap between players as Ciaran Morrissey and Darragh Sexton are the only players that started for KIB who are between the age of 24 and 29 with Morrissey being 24 and Sexton 27 and I feel that the where Kilmurry are falling down on as there are not too many players coming into their prime at that age, where Miltown have severeal players coming into that age.

i always enjoy watching kilmurry , they have a fantastic attitude towards wining plus some of the best characters you could meet both on and off the field ,

i am not sure if its going to be as tough as people make out , they will always be there and thereabouts every year , however miltown look to have improved on last year and with a large panel of young players its hard to see them disappearing any time soon

personally i reckon this is just the start of a new chapter in this rivalry , the last 5 county championships have been won by either club , keelan was outstanding at times again today and is in my opinion reaching his best around now , he did kick a few bad wides especially at the start of the second half

if there was a worry it would be the performances of dermot coughlan, since his injuries early in the season he has been off form , only one shot on goal today and only a wide

there is plenty left in kilmurry but nowhere near the standard of the munster winning teams of the 2000s

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Treble double

Enjoyable match, KIB are a very dogged outfit and got serious numbers behind the ball to try and suffocate Miltown. Miltown are a much better team but they were really struggling in the first half being turned over and running out of ideas in the final third. They were three points down and in trouble when Eoin Cleary stepped up to the plate and drove over a great point from forty yards, he followed this with a free and then set up his brother to thump over a monster point from about fifty yards to leave them level at the break, great leadership from the Cleary's. Miltown struggled to but KIB away in the second half. It took the power and direct running of C. Cleary and McDonagh to breach the KIB blanket and they eventually pulled away in the end. Seanie Malone, Gordon Kelly, Conor Cleary, McDonagh, Eoin Cleary were outstanding for the winners, u have to hand it to KIB, they are very hard to break down and the longer they stay in a game, there is a chance they will squeeze over the line but no question Miltown worthy winners

So a big week awaits for Clare hurling. On this Tuesday a county board meeting is scheduled to take place, where the main item up for discussion will be the respective Clare inter-county management teams appointments for 2020. Brian Lohan for the senior gig on a 2 year deal and Brian Coffey for the minor manager's role, barring any late hitches will both be approved by club delegates.

I have said it on numerous occasions, this is the time for club delegates to flex their muscles and use that time on Tuesday night to really hammer home their discontent, on how certain members in the Clare county board executive have ashamed their positions, with their disgraceful carry on over the last few months in particular, over the botched process of appointing a Clare senior and minor hurling management for the coming year ahead.

Questions that need to be answered by our senior officials in the county board top table, include the following. The horrendous behavior of certain senior county board individuals, towards good decent hurling people in the county, namely Donal Moloney, Brian Lohan, Anthony Daly, to name but a few, throughout the past few months? Will these "administrators" apologize towards these men, who owe nothing more to the county for this "mafia style" behavior? Why did it take until as late as September to hear of the outgoing senior management's future intentions going forward? Why did the county board get it so wrong over the process of appointing the biggest job in Clare GAA, first time round

This is just the start. Why did a certain individual, that needs no introduction, who we all know has a huge vendetta against the Lohan's try to put road blocks onto his appointment as Clare senior hurling manager? Did this same individual deliberately interfered in the process, when meeting Lohan's rival for the Clare job, Louis Mulqueen, a firm Fitz loyalist, at a lengthy meeting, where the current Liam Mellows manager, is school principal, just days before he was set to be proposed as Clare senior hurling manager on that fateful October 9th meeting in Clareabbey?

He should be expected to make a statement on this matter, along with his handling of the minor hurling manager's position where he tried to infiltrate the process by asking another Fitz ally, Fergal "Bruiser" Lynch to re-enter the race for the position, just over a fortnight ago after Mr Lynch confirmed that he would not be part of any Clare inter-county management team, including leaving his role as minor boss where he held the position for just one year.

Another issue that should most certainly be raised by clubs, is the October 8th statement issued by the Clare senior hurling squad, where they raised some very disturbing details in relation to lack of resources being put into getting the best preparations for the county's senior hurling team. They also questioned the viability of the now "hatched job", that is our supposed "center of excellence" in Caherlohan, near Tulla and whether it is fit for purpose?

The players also spoke of their dismay, about not been part of the process of appointing a Clare senior hurling manager. The drip feed of information and the lack of communication by the CB to the players, was most alarming. Some people may not see this as a big deal, but it is clear that CB's reticence to allow any member of the squad to involved in this process of what is a huge decision to make, who will become the next Clare senior hurling manager's position, was an attempt by that same "you know who" individual to cynically get his own way. The biggest job in Clare sport has turned into a complete farce.

There was a time that this Clare senior hurling manager's job would be such an honor. It is a box office role and under normal circumstances, provided we had a coherent county board in situ, then the amount of applicants would go through the roof, quite literally. However when you hear of men like Anthony Daly, a legend and a warrior in those golden years of the 90's, saying under no circumstances that he would take up this role, under the current stewardship of the county board executive, then you know how shoddy a process this has been. A shambles would be another understated word, that you can say regarding this fiasco.

What has happened throughout the last 6 or 7 weeks, has shattered my confidence in Clare GAA. Unfortunately the man known by many as "the Don" has had quite a large part to play, in where we are today. A man that does not have the best interests of Clare GAA at heart. Putting personality issues against certain individuals and vendettas to manipulate his agenda and undermining other people, in order to get his way. A truly shocking way for any individual to operate, especially for a man who has such a senior position, in a voluntary organization. That's what tyrants and dictators would do.

This behavior must be called out for what it is. This is one of the biggest cases of an abuse of power, that you will find anywhere in an Irish sporting organization, what's startling about this though is it is taking place in an voluntary organization like the GAA. Back to Clare hurling, you know there is a problem when you are left with Louis Mulqueen and Brian Lohan, as the only two candidates for one of the biggest jobs in hurling in the country. That in itself would and should send shockwaves throughout Clare GAA circles.

Finally I make no apologies on my previous posts, about my opinions about the current county board secretary. He is clinging onto power. He knows that his authority has been undermined. I say this again and again but I'll repeat this once more, for those that doubt about my passions for Clare GAA and wanting the very best for it. Please I beg of all clubs to put West/East and other divisions to one side. The future of Clare GAA is at stake here.

Clubs must stand together and ensure at the very least on this Tuesday, we get accountability from the top table, in particular from "you know who", who spoke no word on that October 9th meeting. That type of "feeling sorry for yourself, putting the head down" guff should not be tolerated by anyone, who will have that opportunity to be at that meeting at Clareabbey on Tuesday.

If we don't ask those hard questions of administrators, then those clubs have yet again let down the genuine Clare GAA public, deeply concerned about the way Clare GAA operates and does its business. Clubs must do their job in just under 48 hours from now. If they fail on this, they should be held equally to account along with the CB, for not giving a toss about GAA in the Banner County. That is what's at stake here, Clare GAA and its future. Tuesday will be a game-changer one way or another. Hopefully a positive day awaits, a new start, a new beginning, which can bring fresh hope for those who are disenchanted, like myself with how GAA should be operated and conducted in Clare.

• Advertisement

to be fair to louis mulqueen his cv is exceptional , i would have preferred him over lohan regardless of who he is loyal to,

as regards the board apologizing no chance , remember the real problem in clare gaa is us keyboard warriors that hide behind our screens :rolleyes:,

but sadly as you touched on yesterday its probably the only place we can have a voice , its not as if clubs can just enter clareabbey and successfully take the board on , there club will most likely suffer as a result , so i cant imagine anyone then one or two standing up to them
    i keep saying the same thing about pat fitz and its simple , clubs must approach gaa hq if they want a change in the county , they are the only one's that can change his position . we are basically talking about clares very own frank murphy at the moment

Advertisement