Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭caddy16

Clareman wrote: »
    Tickets, funding, regrading of players, failed appeals, pretty much anything the county board have control over he can affect but he's too smart to do it himself directly without dirtying his own hands. Just this year a former hurler called him out on Twitter and about a month later his club's new ground was closed because of "health and safety"
    Spot on and to be fair the same club are one of the few that stand up to the county board. Its the same 3 or 4 clubs that are to the forefront of trying to get any form of accountability from the powers that be.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Toetohand wrote: »
    When did that contract end I wonder? Why are clubs fearful of opposing him. What have they to lose I’d love to know.

Noone knows for sure about the contract because it's widely accepted that he didn't sign it straight away.

The programme for the county final tomorrow has the wrong team photo for Cratloe.....they've Kilmaley instead. Not great times for our county board!

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

To top it all off the jerseys say 'Kilmaley' on them. Is Clare the least professional of all Munster Ciubty boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

No Clare gaa tv today for the senior match??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 shane14

No Clare gaa tv today for the senior match??

Live on TG4

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

shane14 wrote: »
    Live on TG4

Not in Ireland. Not in a position to be on labtop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭Gael85

Another title for Davy.

Very good all round performance from Sixmilebridge. The old adage of them being very hard to beat in finals is true. Their backs were outstanding and Conor McGrath was cleaned out, eventually being replaced late in the game. Cratloe after a good start just couldn't live with Sixmilebridges superior stick work and application. Golden really stepped up and I thought the Sixmilebridge number 3 was class. Cratloe were abit toothless in attack but they were starved of possession by the Bridge backs attacking every ball. They have Ballygunnar at home now and could beat them setting up a derby with Patrickswell in the Gaelic Grounds. Patrickswell and Sixmilebridge have a great relationship built up over the years..But tonight the cup is back in the 'Olde Village and there ll be good celebrations...and another step closer to the 'Evil empires' Clare Championship record.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭Figerty

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Very good all round performance from Sixmilebridge. The old adage of them being very hard to beat in finals is true. Their backs were outstanding and Conor McGrath was cleaned out, eventually being replaced late in the game. Cratloe after a good start just couldn't live with Sixmilebridges superior stick work and application. Golden really stepped up and I thought the Sixmilebridge number 3 was class. Cratloe were abit toothless in attack but they were starved of possession by the Bridge backs attacking every ball. They have Ballygunnar at home now and could beat them setting up a derby with Patrickswell in the Gaelic Grounds. Patrickswell and Sixmilebridge have a great relationship built up over the years..But tonight the cup is back in the 'Olde Village and there ll be good celebrations...and another step closer to the 'Evil empires' Clare Championship record.

McGrath didn't look himself at all. Was we well marked or injured. He seemed to have some ankle trouble on TV. Cratloe missed 4 frees at crucial stages.

When Sean Collins and McGrath go off you know Cratloe are in trouble. The Bridge were very good without being excellent. There's more in them.
    Cathal Malone hit three bad wides.

• Advertisement

Figerty wrote: »
    McGrath didn't look himself at all. Was we well marked or injured. He seemed to have some ankle trouble on TV. Cratloe missed 4 frees at crucial stages.

When Sean Collins and McGrath go off you know Cratloe are in trouble. The Bridge were very good without being excellent. There's more in them.
    Cathal Malone hit three bad wides.

McGrath was limping badly for ages before been taken off, should have been taken off earlier.

The clamour for McGraths return to the Clare fold is premature. He may have taken a knock but then he takes alot of knocks. Hes hasnt been healthy or fit for much of his career. I see his attitude hasnt changed much. His negative behaviour on his walk to the bench was impertinent for a player with his vast experience.
    I think we have seen how a small dual club just cannot compete with single sport clubs when it comes down to the business end of the championship. Cratloe would have more hurling or football county Championships if they stuck to 1 sport. Now that's just an observation and they are entitled to do what they like. They just wont ever have much silverware.

The clamour for McGraths return to the Clare fold is premature. He may have taken a knock but then he takes alot of knocks. Hes hasnt been healthy or fit for much of his career. I see his attitude hasnt changed much. His negative behaviour on his walk to the bench was impertinent for a player with his vast experience.
    I think we have seen how a small dual club just cannot compete with single sport clubs when it comes down to the business end of the championship. Cratloe would have more hurling or football county Championships if they stuck to 1 sport. Now that's just an observation and they are entitled to do what they like. They just wont ever have much silverware.

He should be in the running for Hurler of the year in Clare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 AnClar14959713

Had a very good weekend over in Cusack Park and for once the weather co-operated.

Saturday's intermediate final between Broadford and St Josephs Doora Barefield was lacking in quality but the workrate of both teams was something to behold. It was championship hurling at its very best. To me Broadford just shaded it over the hour. They had towering displays from Donie Whelan in the forwards who chipped in with 5 points.

However it was their performances in the backs that was most impressive. Eoin and Paddy Donnellan were immense as the Parish's chief attacking strategy of lumping long balls to Alan O'Neill which backfired spectacularly due to the Donnellan duo. Paddy who was part of the Clare U20 hurling panel in 2019 certainly has a big future ahead. The Moloney's Mark and Niall must also be commended too. One thing that stood out for me as a unit was their workrate off the ball with forwards and backs putting in trojan work. Deserving champions and underlying the great work that has been going on for several years underage in the East Clare club. For a club with limited resources they most certainly punch above their weight. Congrats to one and all.

The minor A final between Corofin/Ruan and Clarecastle had the makings of an competitive affair. However the North Clare combo produced one of the finest performances seen at this grade at this stage of the competition for quite some time. Diarmaid Cahill chipped in with an outstanding man of the match performance for the ages with a tally of 1-8 all from play. Cahill who is also an outstanding footballer, is one of the finest dual talents that Clare has produced, on a par with Shane Meehan. Brilliant stuff indeed and will go again on Wednesday when St Flannans College start their Harty Cup campaign.

Cillian McGroary got 3 outstanding early scores and along with Cahill and Meehan is another huge dual player prospect for the Banner County. He is underage for minor in 2020. While Kevin Keane, yes I keep repeating myself is another huge prospect in both codes caused mayhem all day with his ability to win primary possession at the edge of the D. Outstanding stuff. Cyril Lyons who coaches the team really should be the next Clare minor hurling manager for 2020 and no one will complain about that.

Then it was onto the the blue ribboned event for Clare club hurling. The Canon Hamilton final between the auld enemies and neighbours Cratloe and Sixmilebridge. Despite a promising start for the Cratloe men in which they had a 6 points to 2 lead early doors, it was really the second quarter that the men from the Bridge put on the acclerators. Led by the brilliant Alex Morey and Cathal Malone who were outstanding throughout the 60 plus odd minutes in the Park today they lead 11 to 9 at HT with the elements with their favour for the second half.

The second half started brightly for Cratloe and quickly got to level terms. However that was as good as it got for the Alan Neville managed side as the likes of Brian Corry and the Fitzpatricks held the upper hand and had far too much energy and were only guilty of not consolidating their advantage by a much considerable margin. For Cratloe Billy Connors, Sean Collins and Conor McGrath were all taken off which underlined the complete dominance of the Bridge men and how successful Tim Crowe and DF were with their tactical match-ups on the day.

Notwithstanding the fact that Shane Gleeson had a mare with the frees (most of them were not difficult at all), which if they got them over the crossbar, it could have made it for a closer game, it was all about the Bridge. Efficient without being outstanding would be the general consensus for them today. Their fifth Canon Hamilton this decade is some achievement regardless of the playing resources that the Bridge have to their huge advantage. Definitely the best club team this decade in Clare and overall the best side in Clare in 2019.

Personally I find it hard to fancy them against a battle hardened Ballygunner side in the Munster Championship in 3 weeks time. With the game set to be played in the Bridge on November 3rd, what might hurt their chances is their lack of goals. I would just love to see Alex Morey and Cathal Malone at the edge of the D at all times. Those two combined at that area of the pitch, providing the service is good to them would cause havoc for any club side. One thing in their favour is their strong defensive system and generally teams struggle to break them down. Just one goal conceded in 5 matches in this years's championship is impressive going.

So there you have it. Congratulations to the respective winners this weekend in the park. Also well done to Kilmihil ladies footballers and St Joseph's Junior camogie teams on reaching their respective provincial deciders. Finally a special congrats to Scariff/Ogonelloe who won their first Clare camogie title in Clarecastle yesterday. Celebrations for all victorious teams will continue well into next week!!

Hard to see Ballygunnar winning in Sixmilebridge in my opinion. I dont see it happening. It's a pity Cathal Malone hits a hat full of wides., hes a real worker. Overall I dont think the standard in Clare is up to much and I think the Bridge could
    win another few over the next 3 to 5 years. Is it not 5 theyve won this decade? That's some consistency. Munster isnt of a super standard this year either and they ll give Munster a rattle. Funny thing is this is not a vintage Bridge side by any means..just well coached and a solid work ethic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

caddy16 wrote: »
    McGrath was limping badly for ages before been taken off, should have been taken off earlier.

Was ‘gilly’ playing today...!

Hard to see Ballygunnar winning in Sixmilebridge in my opinion. I dont see it happening. It's a pity Cathal Malone hits a hat full of wides., hes a real worker. Overall I dont think the standard in Clare is up to much and I think the Bridge could
    win another few over the next 3 to 5 years. Is it not 5 theyve won this decade? That's some consistency. Munster isnt of a super standard this year either and they ll give Munster a rattle. Funny thing is this is not a vintage Bridge side by any means..just well coached and a solid work ethic

Couple of questions.....

Can ya elaborate a bit re why you think Ballygunner can’t win....?

Can u define what a ‘vintage bridge’ team is....?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Crazy that Duggan was the top scorer in this years championship

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Was ‘gilly’ playing today...!

Came on as a sub for the last few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Shane_ef wrote: »
    Crazy that Duggan was the top scorer in this years championship

Think he scored something like 2-13 in the first round game alone against Ballyea, so that set the tone for him for the rest of the championship, averaged about 0-11 per game after that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Had a very good weekend over in Cusack Park and for once the weather co-operated.

Saturday's intermediate final between Broadford and St Josephs Doora Barefield was lacking in quality but the workrate of both teams was something to behold. It was championship hurling at its very best. To me Broadford just shaded it over the hour. They had towering displays from Donie Whelan in the forwards who chipped in with 5 points.

However it was their performances in the backs that was most impressive. Eoin and Paddy Donnellan were immense as the Parish's chief attacking strategy of lumping long balls to Alan O'Neill which backfired spectacularly due to the Donnellan duo. Paddy who was part of the Clare U20 hurling panel in 2019 certainly has a big future ahead. The Moloney's Mark and Niall must also be commended too. One thing that stood out for me as a unit was their workrate off the ball with forwards and backs putting in trojan work. Deserving champions and underlying the great work that has been going on for several years underage in the East Clare club. For a club with limited resources they most certainly punch above their weight. Congrats to one and all.

The minor A final between Corofin/Ruan and Clarecastle had the makings of an competitive affair. However the North Clare combo produced one of the finest performances seen at this grade at this stage of the competition for quite some time. Diarmaid Cahill chipped in with an outstanding man of the match performance for the ages with a tally of 1-8 all from play. Cahill who is also an outstanding footballer, is one of the finest dual talents that Clare has produced, on a par with Shane Meehan. Brilliant stuff indeed and will go again on Wednesday when St Flannans College start their Harty Cup campaign.

Cillian McGroary got 3 outstanding early scores and along with Cahill and Meehan is another huge dual player prospect for the Banner County. He is underage for minor in 2020. While Kevin Keane, yes I keep repeating myself is another huge prospect in both codes caused mayhem all day with his ability to win primary possession at the edge of the D. Outstanding stuff. Cyril Lyons who coaches the team really should be the next Clare minor hurling manager for 2020 and no one will complain about that.

Then it was onto the the blue ribboned event for Clare club hurling. The Canon Hamilton final between the auld enemies and neighbours Cratloe and Sixmilebridge. Despite a promising start for the Cratloe men in which they had a 6 points to 2 lead early doors, it was really the second quarter that the men from the Bridge put on the acclerators. Led by the brilliant Alex Morey and Cathal Malone who were outstanding throughout the 60 plus odd minutes in the Park today they lead 11 to 9 at HT with the elements with their favour for the second half.

The second half started brightly for Cratloe and quickly got to level terms. However that was as good as it got for the Alan Neville managed side as the likes of Brian Corry and the Fitzpatricks held the upper hand and had far too much energy and were only guilty of not consolidating their advantage by a much considerable margin. For Cratloe Billy Connors, Sean Collins and Conor McGrath were all taken off which underlined the complete dominance of the Bridge men and how successful Tim Crowe and DF were with their tactical match-ups on the day.

Notwithstanding the fact that Shane Gleeson had a mare with the frees (most of them were not difficult at all), which if they got them over the crossbar, it could have made it for a closer game, it was all about the Bridge. Efficient without being outstanding would be the general consensus for them today. Their fifth Canon Hamilton this decade is some achievement regardless of the playing resources that the Bridge have to their huge advantage. Definitely the best club team this decade in Clare and overall the best side in Clare in 2019.

Personally I find it hard to fancy them against a battle hardened Ballygunner side in the Munster Championship in 3 weeks time. With the game set to be played in the Bridge on November 3rd, what might hurt their chances is their lack of goals. I would just love to see Alex Morey and Cathal Malone at the edge of the D at all times. Those two combined at that area of the pitch, providing the service is good to them would cause havoc for any club side. One thing in their favour is their strong defensive system and generally teams struggle to break them down. Just one goal conceded in 5 matches in this years's championship is impressive going.

So there you have it. Congratulations to the respective winners this weekend in the park. Also well done to Kilmihil ladies footballers and St Joseph's Junior camogie teams on reaching their respective provincial deciders. Finally a special congrats to Scariff/Ogonelloe who won their first Clare camogie title in Clarecastle yesterday. Celebrations for all victorious teams will continue well into next week!!

Too really good games over the weekend, Broadford deserved there win, some excellent scores by Diarmuid Moloney and Shane McGrath, they had a fine spread of scores compared to Barefield who were totally relient on David Conroy frees

Today with Billy Connors off at half time and Shane Gleeson off form from placed balls it was always going to be a struggle,

As said already Barry Fitzpatrick was excellent as was camán Morey at the back, Alex Morey was also excellent from placed balls also and probably that's what it came down to

Niall Molone had an excellent game also as referee which helped the game flow along, but yes the 3 big talking points for me was McGraths injury, the performance of Purcell and Barry Fitzpatrick at the back for the bridge, and Shane Gleesons frees, usually one of the best in the county had an off day today

Couple of questions.....

Can ya elaborate a bit re why you think Ballygunner can’t win....?

Can u define what a ‘vintage bridge’ team is....?

Well traditionally Ballygunnar have always lost away to Sixmilebridge, and sometimes at home in Waterford to them aswell like in 96. They even struggled 2 years ago in Walsh park. They dont travel well and have lost a few stalworths from the last few years like Harley Barnes . They are the reigning Munster champions and are a good side, but I dont see them beating the Bridge in Sixmilebridge.
    A Vintage Bridge team would be a free scoring forward line and teak tough defence like their All Ireland winning teams and the great teams of the 80s. The half back lines of Stack, Rusty Chaplin,John O Connell ect.. I do rate their work rate and their fitness and team work. They ll put it up to any Munster team this winter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Daly's piece in the independent
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/columnists/the-process-to-appoint-clare-manager-has-been-a-sham-and-an-embarrassment-956943.html
    The whole episode has been a sham and an embarrassment from day one. For a start, Donal Moloney was treated disgracefully. If the board didn’t want Donal to stay on, fine, but why didn’t they tell the man three months ago, besides stringing him along while he was expending time and energy in putting his backroom team together?

The process around deciding the manager last week, which the board thought the clubs would accept on Tuesday night, defied all logic. Imagine interviewing candidates and not asking them the make-up of their backroom teams? Like, what did they ask them? What are your hobbies? Where do you see yourself in 10 years? You wouldn’t get it in Killinascully.

I think Brian Lohan would be an excellent choice as manager. Along with his huge status within the county, he would be a fresh voice and it would represent something new. Louis Mulqueen has already been involved with Clare senior teams on three occasions.

Lohan wouldn’t bring any of that baggage and I, along with the vast majority of hurling people within the county, would fully support his appointment. My name was mentioned from the floor as being part of Brian’s management team but I don’t why that happened. It was never a runner and I won’t be involved, which is a point I want to clarify here.

It’s not that I’m turning my back on Clare but, after nine years spent as an inter-county manager with Clare and Dublin between 2004-’14, it’s just not something that I’m focussed on at this stage of my life.

I was contacted by Joe Cooney, the county board chairman, about six weeks ago, to ask me about making a contribution to a review of Clare’s hurling season. I outlined to him that I had no interest in getting involved in inter-county management at this time. If circumstances were different in the future, I may be willing to return to Clare, but not at the moment.

There are a multitude of reasons but I’m also unsure if I could work with a number of top board officials in the county. The culture is all wrong and that looked set to continue on Tuesday when the board were sure that they could railroad through the appointment of Mulqueen. The process was all wrong. There was no transparency and I’m just glad the board delegates finally had the guts

In these situations, the aim should always be to get the best man for the job, with the best backroom team, and not just to get the person favoured by the board executive.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

Well said Anthony Daly, and I'm glad that he isn't going to be involved either, there comes a time when counties must get away from returning managers roller coaster that's going on.
    Lohan would be a fresh voice, and might bring some new ideas. Louis is probably heavily influenced by Davy tactics wise, saying that the Bridge were fantastic yesterday and well done to Davy for setting them up well, so what do I know!

The Bridge would probably have won that game if one Gilligan was managing them or they had no manager.
    Dalys piece is good for 2 reasons. It shines a light on the underbelly of the Clare county board and how inept they are. Louis Mulqueen is a link to Davy and that management and is really a keeping the seat warm appointment until Davy leaves Wexford.
    The lack of transparency is the big thing in Clare. I want Lohan as manager but if he comes second best to Mulqueen in an open contest then fine . The lack of professionalism is in stark contrast to Limerick and Tipperary. Those 2 counties are running semi pro type backrooms and have seriously forged ahead with the money and foresight they have. Clare are standing still and that means we are falling behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 AnClar14959713

Is the October Clare county board meeting still set to go ahead tomorrow, even though there was an meeting of club delegates last Wednesday in Clareabbey, with club delegates rightly blocking the appointment of Pat Fitz ally Louis Mulqueen as Clare senior hurling manager, five days ago?

Well traditionally Ballygunnar have always lost away to Sixmilebridge, and sometimes at home in Waterford to them aswell like in 96. They even struggled 2 years ago in Walsh park. They dont travel well and have lost a few stalworths from the last few years like Harley Barnes . They are the reigning Munster champions and are a good side, but I dont see them beating the Bridge in Sixmilebridge.
    A Vintage Bridge team would be a free scoring forward line and teak tough defence like their All Ireland winning teams and the great teams of the 80s. The half back lines of Stack, Rusty Chaplin,John O Connell ect.. I do rate their work rate and their fitness and team work. They ll put it up to any Munster team this winter

Traditionally pre ‘95 Clare teams won eff all, that changed. Similarly Galway had never beaten a Waterford team in a championship match until ‘17.....Re traditional ‘bridge team....all I can say is you can’t ‘make the silk purse out of the sows ear’......if the ‘bridges (and this applies to any club) don’t have the raw material, how do you create ‘the teak tough defence and
    Free scoring forwards’ any amount of motivational/inspirational talk by management will only take a team so far.... just look at mt sion in Waterford, 14 years without a title and this could easily stretch to 20...despite the tradition and type of players they had in the past.......in saying all the above Ballygunner are no dead certs to win their next match but to rule out their chances based on the above is too simplistic and dismissive

Traditionally pre ‘95 Clare teams won eff all, that changed. Similarly Galway had never beaten a Waterford team in a championship match until ‘17.....Re traditional ‘bridge team....all I can say is you can’t ‘make the silk purse out of the sows ear’......if the ‘bridges (and this applies to any club) don’t have the raw material, how do you create ‘the teak tough defence and
    Free scoring forwards’ any amount of motivational/inspirational talk by management will only take a team so far.... just look at mt sion in Waterford, 14 years without a title and this could easily stretch to 20...despite the tradition and type of players they had in the past.......in saying all the above Ballygunner are no dead certs to win their next match but to rule out their chances based on the above is too simplistic and dismissive

Funny, talking to Bridge lads who know their hurling, they reckon their full back line is their weakness. Cratloe playing a sweeper masked that to some extent.

Ballygunner will bring a different style of hurling. That will be interesting to watch.

Figerty wrote: »
    Funny, talking to Bridge lads who know their hurling, they reckon their full back line is their weakness. Cratloe playing a sweeper masked that to some extent.

Ballygunner will bring a different style of hurling. That will be interesting to watch.

Bloody bill seems to have as much if not more knowledge of the ‘bridge’ than their own supporters......one thing for sure come 3 weeks time the ground will be softer ball bounce therefore slower and this always favors defenses.....!

• Advertisement

Bloody bill seems to have as much if not more knowledge of the ‘bridge’ than their own supporters......one thing for sure come 3 weeks time the ground will be softer ball bounce therefore slower and this always favors defenses.....!

I am a Sixmilebridge supporter. Always was. Been at every Munster final theyve ever won. I'm not writing off Ballygunnar at all. Theyve a fair chance of winning. They play a fantastic brand of hurling but I think Sixmilebridge will be favourites at home. I dont think one club in the whole of the Munster championship playing away has it easy....

Advertisement