Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Gael85

little sympthy for kilkee on one hand ,some of there club delegates should be ashamed of themselves tonight , this time 10 years ago they were in a county final now they are in junior A ,

why ? they were first of all in there own heads too good to stay amalgamated with doonbeg
    they were then too good to join up with the peninsula clubs in underage until it was far far too late
    this year they refused to join up with the peninsula at senior as they were somehow to good for that also

i wouldnt be putting much money on them making a quick return to intermediate either ,

i d feel sorry for the likes of darren ownes and dylan russell as they are fine footballers and in another generation would have championship medals won with the club , the likes of barry harte christy kerwin michael keane all played today , most of them are well in there 40s they played in munster club finals against nemo rangers and the gaeltacht in the mid 2000s today must have been a hard day for them

but the older heads in the club are the ones to blame for this

Totally agree on Kilkee. Completely took their eye off the ball. Naomh Eoin and O'Currys done great work at juvenile level with a small pool of players. I remember someone saying 10 years when the Russell brothers and Michael O'Shea(RIP) retired Kilkee would struggle. They lost the Larkin brothers and Chris Williamson to emigration. Don't think many townies play for them, the best players always came from outskirts of town. Kilkee as a town never developed. No proper hotel or supermarket, no young initiative for young people to stay around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Gael85 wrote: »
    Kildysart completely kicked that game away. Missed have missed 5/6 scoreable frees. Breckans fell apart in second half but Kildysart couldn't take advantage of. Malcom Byrne had a great first controlling the play at centre forward. McNeilus got on top of him in second half. Joe McGann was class and had a hand in both goals which was the difference. Emmet McMahon was brilliant throughout for Kildysart. Colm Collins needs to get McGann and McMahon on board next year.

loads of good forwards around , mcgann has always been excellent but commitments to breckans let alone clare have been tested in the past

no doubt mcmahon will be on the panel he averaged about 0-5 points a game from play all championship

derrick lynch has a piece in the program about the top 10 up and coming players of the football championship , most of these would not be out of place on the current senior panel ,

Jayme o'sullivan Wolfe tones ( defender)
    Joe mcgann St Breckans (forward)
    oisin looney miltown (midfield)
    david lernihan kilmihil (midfield)
    nigel murray o'currys (forward)
    darran callinan kib (forward )
    Aaron Griffin lissycasey ( forward)
    sean conway doonbeg ( defender)
    cillian rouine ennistymon (defender)
    Emmet Mcmahon kildysart (forward)

Totally agree on Kilkee. Completely took their eye off the ball. Naomh Eoin and O'Currys done great work at juvenile level with a small pool of players. I remember someone saying 10 years when the Russell brothers and Michael O'Shea(RIP) retired Kilkee would struggle. They lost the Larkin brothers and Chris Williamson to emigration. Don't think many townies play for them, the best players always came from outskirts of town. Kilkee as a town never developed. No proper hotel or supermarket, no young initiative for young people to stay around.

It actually goes hand in hand back there, a number of business got lazy in and around the recession and realised they didn't need to do much as the limerick weekenders would always arrive and that was enough for them

They refused to pay a small free for example to mcd to host the cois farraige festival which was moved to bundoran as a result, lahinch capitalised on kilkee's failings and is booming since

Ennistymon got to the County final last year as a result, 2 hotels closed in kilkee in the same time 2 opened in North clare and low and be hold many businesses people in kilkee that are holding the town to ransom like they did with MCD are the same people involved with the club

loads of good forwards around , mcgann has always been excellent but commitments to breckans let alone clare have been tested in the past

no doubt mcmahon will be on the panel he averaged about 0-5 points a game from play all championship

derrick lynch has a piece in the program about the top 10 up and coming players of the football championship , most of these would not be out of place on the current senior panel ,

Jayme o'sullivan Wolfe tones ( defender)
    Joe mcgann St Breckans (forward)
    oisin looney miltown (midfield)
    david lernihan kilmihil (midfield)
    nigel murray o'currys (forward)
    darran callinan kib (forward )
    Aaron Griffin lissycasey ( forward)
    sean conway doonbeg ( defender)
    cillian rouine ennistymon (defender)
    Emmet Mcmahon kildysart (forward)

Stephen Tierney midfield for Breckans. Was he playing all year? Don't remember seeing his name on team sheets for previous games. He was very good wing back on Clare underage teams years ago.

Clare need defenders pushing through. Gordon Kelly and Sean Collins have a lot of milage. Hopefully Aaron Fitz will be back.

Stephen Tierney midfield for Breckans. Was he playing all year? Don't remember seeing his name on team sheets for previous games. He was very good wing back on Clare underage teams years ago.

Clare need defenders pushing through. Gordon Kelly and Sean Collins have a lot of milage. Hopefully Aaron Fitz will be back.

Sean Conway is very good if he comits, cian ó Mahoney from Doonbeg also, if Killian Blake from there is available and not travelling he should be looked at also

Keep an eye on ciaran Morrissey tomorrow for Kilmurry Ibrickane, he probably has been the best defender in the championship so far, the last day out against Cratloe he held podge scoreless and chipped in with one at the other end, probably mid 20s now but playing great stuff

Tierney is very good too but I think he was injured, could be wrong he could be another mcgann too, don't think mcgann played too much before today for Breckans

• Advertisement

Sean Conway is very good if he comits, cian ó Mahoney from Doonbeg also, if Killian Blake from there is available and not travelling he should be looked at also

Keep an eye on ciaran Morrissey tomorrow for Kilmurry Ibrickane, he probably has been the best defender in the championship so far, the last day out against Cratloe he held podge scoreless and chipped in with one at the other end, probably mid 20s now but playing great stuff

Tierney is very good too but I think he was injured, could be wrong he could be another mcgann too, don't think mcgann played too much before today for Breckans

Do you have the team line outs for today game by any chance? Couldn't find anything on twitter.

HaWN6h.jpg

GoJNVD.jpg

intermediate teams sorry today were

St Breckans: Tristan O’Callaghan; Daniel Carey, Evan Barrett, Cian Burke; Jack Sheedy, Alan Sweeney, Conor Burke; Dale Masterson, Stephen Tierney; Maccon Byrne, Padraig Kelly, Colm O’Brien; Rowan Danaher, Joe McGann, Aiden Davidson.

Subs: Michael Hogan for Tierney (33), Ciaran Flanagan for Danaher (62).

Kildysart: Robert Eyres; Brian Eyres, Kieran Leahy, John Ginnane Jnr; Rory McMahon, Shane McNelis, Ian Flanagan; Kieran O’Brien, Neil O’Connor; Mikey Donnellan, Keith O’Connor, Luke McGrath; Diarmuid O’Donnell, Emmet McMahon, Seamus Casey.

Subs: Stephen Sheehan for Ginnane Jnr (35), Keith Murphy for Donnellan (35), Kieran Eyres for McGrath (54), Michael Eustace for Flanagan (56).

Referee: Niall Quinn (St Josephs Miltown)

intermediate teams sorry today were

St Breckans: Tristan O’Callaghan; Daniel Carey, Evan Barrett, Cian Burke; Jack Sheedy, Alan Sweeney, Conor Burke; Dale Masterson, Stephen Tierney; Maccon Byrne, Padraig Kelly, Colm O’Brien; Rowan Danaher, Joe McGann, Aiden Davidson.

Subs: Michael Hogan for Tierney (33), Ciaran Flanagan for Danaher (62).

Kildysart: Robert Eyres; Brian Eyres, Kieran Leahy, John Ginnane Jnr; Rory McMahon, Shane McNelis, Ian Flanagan; Kieran O’Brien, Neil O’Connor; Mikey Donnellan, Keith O’Connor, Luke McGrath; Diarmuid O’Donnell, Emmet McMahon, Seamus Casey.

Subs: Stephen Sheehan for Ginnane Jnr (35), Keith Murphy for Donnellan (35), Kieran Eyres for McGrath (54), Michael Eustace for Flanagan (56).

Referee: Niall Quinn (St Josephs Miltown)

Thanks for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dickie9

A draw probably fair result in miltown v kib
    Miltown will prob be kicking themselves having not won it very poor 1st half by there standards put in a great display second half apart from seanie malone scoring a point for kib....Kieran malone put in super shift wi d 2 Cleary boys...last free on Graham kelly was soft an absolute joke....taught referee was very poor just wouldn't let the game flow constantly blowing up free after free....still another day out in the park...reckon its miltowns 2 lose

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 AnClar14959713

Just back home from a most interesting Clare senior football final, which included a first for me, who has watched GAA for over 22 years, an own point.

The start was all about Quilty's pressure game and the manner in which they tore into the match early doors. Michael Hogan and Keelan Sexton along with the industrious Dermot Coughlan, began well and were well deserving 4 points to 1 ahead after 20 mins. However Coughlan took two nasty hits midway through the 1st half and came on in the 2nd half with a bandage all around his head and was never the same player since.

However like all great champions do, Miltown hit back and 3 points in a row, including a Seanie Malone score in the last kick of the first half made it 4 points apiece at half-time, with Miltown set to have the aid of the elements for the 2nd 30 mins.

The second half started well for Miltown, who increased their workrate considerably in the 2nd half. An early point gave them the early edge, before a bizarre incident led to Kilmurry's opening score in the 2nd half. What looked like a simple kickpass by Seanie Malone back to the goalkeeper Sean O'Brien, turned into a nightmare and incredibly, albeit under huge pressure by the Quilty men, Malone kicked the ball inexplicably over the bar, but in the wrong goal!!!!!

The rest of the match itself was tit for tat. Points were traded between both teams. At 8 points apiece heading into the 3rd minute of injury time out of 5, Cormac Murray stood with a 45. The young Miltown man scuffed his kick, but like all good players do, Conor Cleary gathered the breaking ball and tapped over the bar, what appeared to be the winning score for the defending Jack Daly champions. However in typical Quilty's never say die attitude, they won a free with goalie Ian McInerney running from his goal. From just over 45 metres out, and the fate and the pressure all on the veteran Quilty netminder's shoulders, he absolutely nailed it. Straight between the posts and just soon afterwards, referee Chris Maguire, who had a competent game, blew the final whistle. A draw.

Little between both teams throughout the 60 plus minutes. For KIB I felt that the evergreen Michael Hogan was immense. He was everywhere in the field and to me I was surprised that he was taken off quite early, as I felt he had plenty of more to give. Darragh Sexton and Daniel Walsh were outstanding, in particular Sexton with his attacking runs, a huge handful for Miltown. While I felt that Mark Killeen, also put in a huge shift for the Quilty men.

For Miltown I felt that their best performers on the day included Seanie Malone and in general the defensive performances were far more impressive than their attacking players, who flattered to deceive. However that malaise in attack was more down to the outstanding displays in the green and red jerseys, who quite simply did not give the much vaunted Miltown forward line, not a sniff of space.

So a replay is required to decide who will lift the Jack Daly for the final time this decade. Incredibly in the Clare FM pre-match show on Friday, two of the three guests they had, including Seamus Hayes, Joe Garry and former referee Rory Hickey said that it would end in honours even! Personally I can't call the replay. Both sides cancelled each other out, with tremendous displays in defense. If any of the forwards can click and in the case of Miltown, their forwards must deliver a far more composed performance in front of goal, if they are to come out on top next week. The case for both sides to come out victorious next week is compelling.

Before all that though, all focus will be on next week and the updates regarding the vacant Clare senior hurling manager's role. Expect developments throughout the next 7 days.

Dickie9 wrote: »
    A draw probably fair result in miltown v kib
    Miltown will prob be kicking themselves having not won it very poor 1st half by there standards put in a great display second half apart from seanie malone scoring a point for kib....Kieran malone put in super shift wi d 2 Cleary boys...last free on Graham kelly was soft an absolute joke....taught referee was very poor just wouldn't let the game flow constantly blowing up free after free....still another day out in the park...reckon its miltowns 2 lose

from a neutral point of view i taught the ref did a pretty good job , it was a hard game to be in charge of to be fair especially with the rivalry and all that

in terms of the game i would expect both teams to be a bit more open the next day , it took miltown nearly the entire first half to settle ,i fancied kilmurry before today i would expect miltown to improve the next day and see it out

cant understand what horse moloney was doing leaving keith king on the field and he clearly injured from the start of the game

from a neutral point of view i taught the ref did a pretty good job , it was a hard game to be in charge of to be fair especially with the rivalry and all that

in terms of the game i would expect both teams to be a bit more open the next day , it took miltown nearly the entire first half to settle ,i fancied kilmurry before today i would expect miltown to improve the next day and see it out

cant understand what horse moloney was doing leaving keith king on the field and he clearly injured from the start of the game

Thought referee was very fussy. The equalising free was very soft. KIB will be happy to get another day with only scoring one point from play. Both teams played their best football against the wind. McGuane had a great game for Milltown. Kieran Malone stepped up in last 15 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Treble double

Anyone here explain why it cost 15 euro to get into the county hurling final and 20 euro to get into the county football final, why the extra 5 euro for the football

Thought referee was very fussy. The equalising free was very soft. KIB will be happy to get another day with only scoring one point from play. Both teams played their best football against the wind. McGuane had a great game for Milltown. Kieran Malone stepped up in last 15 minutes.

the defensive nature of the game made it a nightmare for the ref although the last free was one for the county board to forge the replay, miltown look the much better of the two , think they registered 12 wides and some of them very scorable

also the attendance was announced as 5500 there must have been a big rush to the jacks when they were doing the head count :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭caddy16

Anyone here explain why it cost 15 euro to get into the county hurling final and 20 euro to get into the county football final, why the extra 5 euro for the football

Hurling was 20. 15 oap/student

Soft is an understatement, it simply wasn't a free. If anything it should have gone the other way.

Hurling was definitely 15 euro

Hurling was definitely 15 euro

It definitely wasn't

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Boots234

the defensive nature of the game made it a nightmare for the ref although the last free was one for the county board to forge the replay, miltown look the much better of the two , think they registered 12 wides and some of them very scorable

also the attendance was announced as 5500 there must have been a big rush to the jacks when they were doing the head count :rolleyes:

Will the replay be on next Saturday or Sunday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

caddy16 wrote: »
    It definitely wasn't

Hurling was defo €20.....next year it could be €40 due to Walsh park redevelopment....?

Boots234 wrote: »
    Will the replay be on next Saturday or Sunday?

good question the board have 3 weeks until the munster club championship against the waterford champions rathgormack at home i believe ,

if its next week i would imagine cusack park but with ballygunner playing sixmilebridge the same day i imagine it will either be next saturday or sunday week it will be announced tomorrow night ,

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭fire_man

Can't see it being played next Saturday so possibly two wks.

Just to add to the list of footballers up and coming, I am sure Colm Collins has been made aware of the performances of young Mark McInerney

Has a superb game for Eire Og today in the B final, was probably one of the townies best performers in there defeat to Doonbeg also

He actually looks to have more going for him in terms of athletic ability then his father who was one of the best footballers ever to play for clare also both footed

Ikem Ugweru would also be an excellent addition to the panel. Very powerful lad great ball carrying ability gets stuck in alot but has a good nature temperament I say that as he reminds me a lot like Graham Kelly who let's just say had the opposite mentality

Well done to Eire Og in the B final, probably a little disappointed that its not a jack Daly, it was looking like it was on the cards up to the Doonbeg defeat

Fitting ye should win on the day of the faughs jubilee, it would have been a huge thing for us to win given we spent the best part of a decade in intermediate, anyone who calls the B championship a Mickey mouse competition wasn't in the park for the first game today it will act as a stepping stone for the townies next year nó doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭fire_man

I still think the Senior B is a Mickey mouse competition. Eire og could not beat an average Doonbeg team when it mattered.They have a good bit to go yet.

fire_man wrote: »
    I still think the Senior B is a Mickey mouse competition. Eire og could not beat an average Doonbeg team when it mattered.They have a good bit to go yet.

Both teams didn't stop training after getting eliminated in the 1/4 finals, the game today was probably the best of the 3 matches over the weekend, it was the best chance we had of winning anything this year

Also both teams are young and will act as a stepping stone to the townies, I am sure Clooney/Quinn supporters would disagree with you also after winning the hurling

Funny enough the average doonbeg team won it last year and used it as a stepping stone this year and rattled the county champions before there exit

It definitely is a good competition for teams to use as a spring board

Jaysus some amount of names being bandied about here for inclusion in the Clare Football squad a lot of the names mentioned aren't even regulars with their clubs, laughable really, it takes more than a bit of flashy fleeting football to make a county man.

Jaysus some amount of names being bandied about here for inclusion in the Clare Football squad a lot of the names mentioned aren't even regulars with their clubs, laughable really, it takes more than a bit of flashy fleeting football to make a county man.

This is Clare football you are talking about, at the moment one of our wing backs is a mayo hurler and is only on the panel because he is the managers nephew, you have to take a lot of the football talk with a pinch of salt we are a weaker County boxing above our weight as it is

We do have some exceptionally talented individuals, one of them played excellent today in keelan sexton we don't have enough of them so we have to try and build a team around such players

Not sure though what players we have mentioned are struggling to make there clubs though

This is Clare football you are talking about, at the moment one of our wing backs is a mayo hurler and is only on the panel because he is the managers nephew, you have to take a lot of the football talk with a pinch of salt we are a weaker County boxing above our weight as it is

We do have some exceptionally talented individuals, one of them played excellent today in keelan sexton we don't have enough of them so we have to try and build a team around such players

Not sure though what players we have mentioned are struggling to make there clubs though

Killian Blake was mentioned didn't feature for Doonbeg at all this year was a sub, maybe mixed up with Joe Blake, who is the wrong age profile now for playing county
    Mark McInerney didn't start for Eire Og in any championship game prior to the b competition
    Anyway it's fellas that have the discipline and desire to commit to inter county that will be brought in, it's a way of life now almost full time commitment, u have alot of handy club footballers who haven't got the required character for that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Didn't Mark McInerney play soccer for Limerick this season? His sister is playing for Munster in rugby as well, serious sporting family.

Advertisement