Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

ariana` wrote: »
    Great review. I agree. It's prob not the perfect hydration belt but for the price point it does the job.

I found it strange at first as I had to adjust my arm position ever so slightly but you get used to it very quickly. And like quickbeam I only use it for long runs as I don't need water on anything under 12km so far anyhow.

Quickbeam I don't loosen anything to get the bottles out. I just ease them out? Did you try putting gels in the 2 little elastic bits at the side? It would free up the main pocket for your key.

Well, I undid the elastic around the neck to take them out and put it back on when they went back in - maybe overkill, as they seemed secure enough without the elastic, but I didn't want to risk losing the bottles on the belt's very first use.

The elastic bits to the side, are just above the dangly bits, right? No, I didn't use them at all. My fuel isn't gels, it's raisins or dates in little freezer bags, so possibly not suitable for the elastic bits on the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

quickbeam wrote: »
    Well, I undid the elastic around the neck to take them out and put it back on when they went back in - maybe overkill, as they seemed secure enough without the elastic, but I didn't want to risk losing the bottles on the belt's very first use.

The elastic bits to the side, are just above the dangly bits, right? No, I didn't use them at all. My fuel isn't gels, it's raisins or dates in little freezer bags, so possibly not suitable for the elastic bits on the side.

I didn't use the elastic around the neck and no chance of the bottle budging. The bit at the sides I meant is part of the waist strap? But it probably wouldn't work for dates/raisins.

I didn't use the elastic around the neck and no chance of the bottle budging. The bit at the sides I meant is part of the waist strap? But it probably wouldn't work for dates/raisins.

Didn't even notice that - will have to check it out.

leesider77 wrote: »
    Quickbeam/Ariana - which belt was it? Will it hold an iPhone plus? Is the pocket waterproof?

Sorry I'm on my phone so can't link. But got it on Amazon. Brand is Becco I think? Has 2 smallish 270ml bottles and a larger middle picket for phone etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Sorry I'm on my phone so can't link. But got it on Amazon. Brand is Becco I think? Has 2 smallish 270ml bottles and a larger middle picket for phone etc...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Becko-Lightweight-Durable-Waterproof-Running/dp/B0118PHJ7W/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1502884020&sr=8-10&keywords=running+belts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

I have a hydration back pack with a bladder I have been using on LSR, so far so good, I have a waist belt with 4 little bottles and one pocket that was awful I just found it very uncomfortable.

I am thinking of one of these https://www.snowys.com.au/delaney-bottle-belt not that exact brand though I have seen them in Heatons in Sportsworld for 15 euro

I got my Frank Duffy and half Marathon numbers in the post today that's just made it all a lot more real eek and yay all in one go.

How many people usually do the Frank Duffy and Half Marathon?

Lunch time run, 5 miles done in 42 mins, 8:23/mi average pace. looking forward to a shorter distance tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

9k(sold out) ran it last year and it was awful(HM).

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RolandDeschain

Maybe a bit of a silly question.....I have the week after the marathon off work and I'm thinking of heading on holidays somewhere. Just wondering if the post marathon condition will be that bad that I'm better off sitting on the couch at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

So I'll let you all into a little secret, I think I'm a clairvoyant! In my future I see the next few weeks panning out as follows. Following my 46 minute 10k in Fingal I attack the FD10 and run a great race for me of 1:18. I miss the next two days training while waiting for my calf muscles to unclench. Quickly forgotten I move on to preparing for the half. I'm flying and and boosted by the extra few weeks training I smash it with a 1:43. I hobble around the house for a week. I look up the predictors and find I should run a 3:45 on the big day. Simples! On the day I belt off at 8 min mile pace to look faster to the spectators and to bank a few minutes in case I slow later. After 18 miles two kindly John of Gods members pick me off the ground, wrap me in foil and wheel me to a waiting ambulance!!!!

So with my other super power I intend to change the future! I will not 'race' either of the series events but use them as a session towards my only goal, to give my best shot at a 4hr marathon. I'm not really a runner, I injure easily and might never again get 8 weeks into a training plan without missing chunks of it.

So if AMK, WW or any other kind soul could help I'm looking for suggestions. I intend to run a couple of miles before the FD and then try to pace a 1:30 which is just a few seconds inside 4hr PMP. Does this sound ok? Also wondering how best to incorporate the half. Finally, to end a very long winded post I'm wondering should I alter the boards plan on the days preceding and after both events as I won't be doing them flat out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

Maybe a bit of a silly question.....I have the week after the marathon off work and I'm thinking of heading on holidays somewhere. Just wondering if the post marathon condition will be that bad that I'm better off sitting on the couch at home?

From my experience you will certainly be sore for a few days after but I certainly wouldn't let it hinder any holiday plans. After one of my marathons I flew to South Africa the day after!

skyblue46 wrote: »
    So I'll let you all into a little secret, I think I'm a clairvoyant! In my future I see the next few weeks panning out as follows. Following my 46 minute 10k in Fingal I attack the FD10 and run a great race for me of 1:18. I miss the next two days training while waiting for my calf muscles to unclench. Quickly forgotten I move on to preparing for the half. I'm flying and and boosted by the extra few weeks training I smash it with a 1:43. I hobble around the house for a week. I look up the predictors and find I should run a 3:45 on the big day. Simples! On the day I belt off at 8 min mile pace to look faster to the spectators and to bank a few minutes in case I slow later. After 18 miles two kindly John of Gods members pick me off the ground, wrap me in foil and wheel me to a waiting ambulance!!!!

So with my other super power I intend to change the future! I will not 'race' either of the series events but use them as a session towards my only goal, to give my best shot at a 4hr marathon. I'm not really a runner, I injure easily and might never again get 8 weeks into a training plan without missing chunks of it.

So if AMK, WW or any other kind soul could help I'm looking for suggestions. I intend to run a couple of miles before the FD and then try to pace a 1:30 which is just a few seconds inside 4hr PMP. Does this sound ok? Also wondering how best to incorporate the half. Finally, to end a very long winded post I'm wondering should I alter the boards plan on the days preceding and after both events as I won't be doing them flat out?

Great post and I am interested to see the replies you get :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Getting out and about will be much better than sitting on the couch at home after the marathon. I managed some of the Bray to Greystones Walk last year on the Monday just nice to get the legs moving

I took the Tuesday off aswell after last year's....there was some great hilarity in the house of me getting up and down the stairs (not by me).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭deisedude

Today is the first day the training and life has caught up with me. Absolutely bate, serious temptation to do a flat pb 5k course in Cork city tonight to give sub 20 mins a rattle but decided against it with my lethargy and wanting to keep myself right for Clonmel half this Sunday.

While i'm at it better late than never to put up last weeks training log

Monday - 6 Mile Progression Run
    Tuesday - 5 miles easy
    Wednesday 5K race - arrived a bit too close to comfort so just a few stretches and high knees and off we went. Challenging little race but delighted to come away with a second 5K PB in the space of a week at 20:17
    Thursday I was tasked with leading out some of my club mates for a 6 Mile run in my local woods. One hairy moment when I lead them up a brutal climb into a dead end but we had some craic all the same
    Friday - Day off at a friends wedding. Poor legs got no break though with all the dancing to AC/Dc
    Saturday - spent recovering. Only marathon i thought about that day was a marathon of tv on netflix.
    Sunday - Up at 6:30 to get 16 miles in on my own before heading to Croker to watch the Deise beat Cork. What a fcuking day!!! First time using a hydration belt and making my own Generation UCAN gel. Good energy throughout the run

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

skyblue46 wrote: »

You don't happen to have the lotto numbers do you??

Interestingly, I had a look at the Boards plan just now, and it does tell you to 'race it' & 'give it socks' for BOTH races.
    I wouldn't be an advocate of racing both for the reasons I mentioned in a previous post - plus there's a risk of injury to newer runners.

I would race one of them though - I think newer runners need to know what the hurt and discomfort feels like towards the end of one of these races.
    The demons will be telling you to slow down and stop - you need experience of fighting off those demons. (I still get the demons telling me to stop).

Just for context - prior to the 10m race, the longest run will be 16m and the longest PMP session will be 6m.
    Prior to the HM, the longest run will be 20m and the longest PMP will be 9m.

I would race one of them - I think you would be best served by using the 10m as a session (a prep for the half) and then racing the half - give it socks.

For the 10m race maybe doing 2m before hand then doing one of a number of sessions:
    3x3miles at HM Pace (or just faster than MP) with 0.5m easy jog in between.
    6miles MP + 1m easy + 3 miles 10m race pace
    Or the full 10 miles at MP or a tad slower than MP

If you are still worried about injury and would rather not race either of them, do the 10m as above and take a similar approach to the half.

For the HM - maybe consider the following sessions;
    Run it all at MP (+or- a few seconds per mile is also fine) (a tough session – but you would have done 9 at MP previously)
    Do 2x6m @ MP with 1 mile easy jog.
    3x4m @ HMP with 0.5m easy in between.

Following both events, do a slow warm down and then a gentle stretch - the quads and calfs will be tender afterwards.

I would not alter the boards plan for this as it basically tells you to race both - doing a session will be less stressful.

Do listen to the body though - if it is crying out for a rest, take it - or run slower following the races.

You don't happen to have the lotto numbers do you??

Interestingly, I had a look at the Boards plan just now, and it does tell you to 'race it' & 'give it socks' for BOTH races.
    I wouldn't be an advocate of racing both for the reasons I mentioned in a previous post - plus there's a risk of injury to newer runners.

I would race one of them though - I think newer runners need to know what the hurt and discomfort feels like towards the end of one of these races.
    The demons will be telling you to slow down and stop - you need experience of fighting off those demons. (I still get the demons telling me to stop).

Just for context - prior to the 10m race, the longest run will be 16m and the longest PMP session will be 6m.
    Prior to the HM, the longest run will be 20m and the longest PMP will be 9m.

I would race one of them - I think you would be best served by using the 10m as a session (a prep for the half) and then racing the half - give it socks.

For the 10m race maybe doing 2m before hand then doing one of a number of sessions:
    3x3miles at HM Pace (or just faster than MP) with 0.5m easy jog in between.
    6miles MP + 1m easy + 3 miles 10m race pace
    Or the full 10 miles at MP or a tad slower than MP

If you are still worried about injury and would rather not race either of them, do the 10m as above and take a similar approach to the half.

For the HM - maybe consider the following sessions;
    Run it all at MP (+or- a few seconds per mile is also fine) (a tough session – but you would have done 9 at MP previously)
    Do 2x6m @ MP with 1 mile easy jog.
    3x4m @ HMP with 0.5m easy in between.

Following both events, do a slow warm down and then a gentle stretch - the quads and calfs will be tender afterwards.

I would not alter the boards plan for this as it basically tells you to race both - doing a session will be less stressful.

Do listen to the body though - if it is crying out for a rest, take it - or run slower following the races.

Thanks for this! I'll go with the option of racing the half anyway. I was going to race both but I'm seeing herself struggle through her plan this week with tired legs and regretting getting carried away and turning a planned session into a race!

Thankfully the body is coping well so far. I've not missed a run, got up to 18 miles and yesterday was a 6m PMP. All runs have been very easy or recovery with the exception of the midweek session so hopefully this will continue.

New runners arrived in the post today. All going well they'll be the ones for the big day. Can't wait to get out and try them today. Isn't it amazing the little things that can bring happiness! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

RasTa wrote: »
    9k(sold out) ran it last year and it was awful(HM).

Tougher course this year, Dublin HM (first half anyway).

Question about the FD route. At the 7 mile mark you're running down Chesterfield passing Furze Road. If you're slow like me, then there'll be people already finishing up the race at that stage. Will there be much of a spill-over of finishers going from Furze to Chesterfield disrupting those still running? Or will there be other exit routes provided for the finishers?

Also, signs up in the PP already saying that it's closed from 9.30am to 11.30am for the race. Race starts at 10am. Will they really expect everyone to finish by 11.30am so that the roads can re-open? I know I, for one, definitely won't be finished by then.

Question about the FD route. At the 7 mile mark you're running down Chesterfield passing Furze Road. If you're slow like me, then there'll be people already finishing up the race at that stage. Will there be much of a spill-over of finishers going from Furze to Chesterfield disrupting those still running? Or will there be other exit routes provided for the finishers?

Also, signs up in the PP already saying that it's closed from 9.30am to 11.30am for the race. Race starts at 10am. Will they really expect everyone to finish by 11.30am so that the roads can re-open? I know I, for one, definitely won't be finished by then.

Not with that attitude :pac:

I did the 10k run in the phoenix park last year which is a similar route, there was some spill over but nothing too disruptive.

In relation to the road reopening at 1130 seems too tight window, I really hope thats not the case as Ill be in the same boat as yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Omeceron

Missed the boards plan session last night due to sports massage (highly recommend by the way. €50 for an hour).

Would doing the session tonight be too close to the weekend long run?

There is a 2 hour 30 minute cut off point so no need to worry.

The finish of the 10 mile is much further from the main road in the Park than the 5k or 5 mile course so people shouldn't really be congregating around that junction.

4.8 miles done there at lunch, building my fitness up slowly. Delighted with an average pace of 7:43, would love to get that for the Frank Duffy.

Saw a lad out running in an orange DCM race series tech shirt at parkgate street as I ran, cant wait to get my first one of the year in a weeks time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Omeceron wrote: »
    Missed the boards plan session last night due to sports massage (highly recommend by the way. €50 for an hour).

Would doing the session tonight be too close to the weekend long run?

It should be ok if you can leave the LSR to Sunday. Otherwise, I wouldn't do both sessions in full two days apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭positron

Any thoughts on where to park for the FD10m? Is there any chance of getting parking withing Phoenix Park if I turn up early enough (9:15 am)?

positron wrote: »
    Any thoughts on where to park for the FD10m? Is there any chance of getting parking withing Phoenix Park if I turn up early enough (9:15 am)?

That's what I'm planning. Somewhere along Chesterfield close to Castleknock Gate.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Saw a lad out running in an orange DCM race series tech shirt at parkgate street as I ran, cant wait to get my first one of the year in a weeks time

Might have seen the same guy! :) A bit earlier than you, running the Upper Glen Road, in an orange Fingal 10K t-shirt and (I think) the bandana. Wondered if he was one of us.

Might have seen the same guy! :) A bit earlier than you, running the Upper Glen Road, in an orange Fingal 10K t-shirt and (I think) the bandana. Wondered if he was one of us.

He was outside the Aisling Hotel as I ran past, the bright orange caught my eye and then the logo on the shirt. Didnt notice a bandana though. Here he is in his fancy orange shirt and me in my raggedy Man U shirt. Ill have have my Frank Duffy one soon to show off :D

positron wrote: »

I'd look for parking towards the Parkgate end of the park if I was you. I parked at the Castleknock end last Saturday at 8am no problem but when I passed my car 95 mins later during my long run there wasn't a space on the road....and the RnR 5k didn't start until 11!!!! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

This was an issue last year. I'm sure a few people mentioned it post race in the novice thrad, I noticed it myself but it was the least of my worries at the time . A little demoralising though to see people walking on/beside the course route with their goody bags when you are still a few miles from the finish.

Thats someting you shouldn't be worrying about . You'll get plenty of time to finish . Not all the roads which are closed need to remain so for the duration of the race.

Advertisement