Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Wubble wubble A quick question re next week LSR, I am running with a friend in a mini adventure race, cycle 15km run 10km on Saturday, but I am wondering do I use that as my LSR and increase my runs during the week to cover the week's overall distance. I'm not sure what to do and I am a little worried about missing the 14mile LSR any advice welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

I'd say that will cover the LSR. Asking a lot trying to do both in the same week?

I'd say that will cover the LSR. Asking a lot trying to do both in the same week?

Your right and the following week is led up to FD 10mile So I will still be on track for the 15mile LSR :) Thanks So much

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Truncated week of training thanks to bout of gastroenteritis last Sunday thru Tuesday.

Meant no training at all till Thursday which might have been a blessing in disguise as my groin and quad niggles both gone for today's rock n roll half.

Didn't race it but didn't do it as a LSR session either.

Finished in 1 hr 53 mins 42 seconds and felt very comfortable. Felt I could have gone sub 1 hr 50 if I pushed it but given I was still recovering from illness best not to go too hard at it.

Feel I'm very much on course with my training to go sub 4hr in October so all in all happy days work. I'm even stsrting to think of revising my target to sub 3.50 now !

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Kmagic

Injury buzzer alert!!!

Did my 18 mile lsr friday, finished tired and achy but thought i was all good. Went physio saturday and she found a small tear on my left ham and is recommending i take the next week off, which is week 14 of the HHN1 plan, which is a step back week.

Even just walking i can feel a niggle in it now, even pulling across my IT band and onto the quad. I'm resting and icing.

What will that mean training/race wise? Do i just write it off and pick up the regular week next week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

Don't know how people have time to update so regular what with all this bloody running, but fair play! Great to see so much positivity and be able to draw on it.
    Excuse my 2 week update-

Day | Week 12 | Week 13
    Mon |X-train ex bike | X-train ex bike
    Tue | 3x800m Int| 6x400m Int
    Wed | 6m @ 8:15| 6m @ 9:36
    Thu | 3m @ 10:00| 3m @ 9:02
    Fri | Rest | Rest
    Sat | 6m @ 8:28 | 7m @ 8:12
    Sun | 11m @ 9:17| 15m @ 9:53

Another pace question- are people able to keep their desired pace for each mile, or is it balanced across a few miles? I'm aiming for 8:30 mile pace, but can't seem to stick to it. For PMP runs I fall into a groove at either 8:15ish or if I try slow it down, my next gear seems to be 8:45. Is there any issue with going with the faster and taking a "slow" mile every 4 or 5?
    A fuel question this time- for the moment I'm forced to do LSR's very early due to heat. Hasn't been an issue to run on empty til now, but 15m was a bridge too far today! I was absolutely f****d! What are other early morning runners doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RolandDeschain

Another week of running completed.

Step back week this week, which was needed. Hopefully , more rested now for the step up in the next few weeks.

Monday: 5m @ above PMP. This was a bit of an unintentional run. I hadn't decided how to structure my week and was still debating it mid run so I ended up doing a bit of everything.

Tuesday: easy 5m.

Wednesday: gym. Good session but may need to reevaluate what I'm doing and how it may affect my running.

Thursday: 7m boards session. Good. Really good run. Pacing was right and didn't fade so badly. Legs were a bit tired throughout but felt that with fresh legs I could maintain the pace comfortably.

Friday: rock climbing. Sure why not?

Saturday: 14m LSR. I had a slice of toast before this run. No gel or food during the run (I was back home and forgot to bring any with me). The last 2 miles I was absolutely spent. Just reminded myself that no one said this was going to be easy.

Sunday: 3m recovery jog.

Weeks are starting to fly by. I feel pretty invested in this now and this thread (and strava) is a great way of keeping a "diary" of the process as well as feeling part of a group, which is a nice boast when ur spending a few hours alone running each week!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Kmagic wrote: »
    Injury buzzer alert!!!

Did my 18 mile lsr friday, finished tired and achy but thought i was all good. Went physio saturday and she found a small tear on my left ham and is recommending i take the next week off, which is week 14 of the HHN1 plan, which is a step back week.

Even just walking i can feel a niggle in it now, even pulling across my IT band and onto the quad. I'm resting and icing.

What will that mean training/race wise? Do i just write it off and pick up the regular week next week?

yep - take the physio advice.
    You'll gain a lot more than you'll lose by taking the week off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Week 7

Mon: 7.8m @ 8.42
    Tue: 4.4m @ 9:00
    Weds: 5.4m @ 8:34 (near PMP run)
    Thurs: 3.7m @ 9:05
    Fri: Rest
    Sat: LSR 7: 14.8m @ 8.36 [8.55 pace for first 5 miles, better than PMP for middle 5 miles (including a parkrun), and 8.55 pace for last 5 miles]
    Sun: Rest

TOTAL: 36.5m

Another good week, and i seem to be getting slightly better control of my pacing. I borrowed a watch (forerunner 220) from a friend at the start of this week and while i found it a bit weird/intrusive at first, i think constantly checking the pace is slowly training me to actually feel what pace i am going at, so hopefully that will stand to me on the day itself.

Did the LSR this week without a jelly baby and it worked well enough, though the last 2k (as always) was a bit sore on the legs. Still no niggles and the plan continues to be eminently do-able.

Enjoying the silent cameraderie of the 'Irish nods' you get from other runners during the LSR on Saturday mornings. For a reason i haven't quite figured out yet, you can spot a fellow DCMer a mile away (and they you) [probably the haunted look of chronic exhaustion]. So while you get the polite cursory 'nod' from most runners, the one you get from a DCMer is far more meaningful, coming as it does from the inner depths of the soul...

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

Because of my injury I've some serious catch up to do but trying to balance it with not getting injured again.
    Just realized that because of fingal 10km and my adventure race this weekend my last LSR was 9 miles on 15th July which is a month ago!!!!

My physios advice is to build it up 2/3 km at a time. I came through a hilly 10km and the adventure race without any issues last week so was going to target an 8 mile ( 13km) LSR tonight. If I feel ok and take it real easy the rest of the week do you think I could target another 10/11 mile LSR on Sunday? There would be 6 days between the runs. Any other ideas on how I can try and gradually build up my LSRs again. This would put me only 3 miles behind the plan and I think I could gain another couple of miles after the FD race ( which I will not be racing!) on weeks 10 and 11 by doing 13 miles and 15 miles instead of 15 and 16. I know you are not supposed to chase lost miles but trying to balance building up the mileage of my LSRs sensibly with 11 weeks left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Didy longest run to date yesterday, 13.2 km. Felt tired on the last 2km but overall feeling good. No injuries and just a little achy today. Finished the run in 1 hour 10 mins with a split average pace of 5.24. Thats 38 km this week.

Hoping to tackle 10 miles next weekend in preparation for the frank duffy.

leesider77 wrote: »
    Because of my injury I've some serious catch up to do but trying to balance it with not getting injured again.
    Just realized that because of fingal 10km and my adventure race this weekend my last LSR was 9 miles on 15th July which is a month ago!!!!

My physios advice is to build it up 2/3 km at a time. I came through a hilly 10km and the adventure race without any issues last week so was going to target an 8 mile ( 13km) LSR tonight. If I feel ok and take it real easy the rest of the week do you think I could target another 10/11 mile LSR on Sunday? There would be 6 days between the runs. Any other ideas on how I can try and gradually build up my LSRs again. This would put me only 3 miles behind the plan and I think I could gain another couple of miles after the FD race ( which I will not be racing!) on weeks 10 and 11 by doing 13 miles and 15 miles instead of 15 and 16. I know you are not supposed to chase lost miles but trying to balance building up the mileage of my LSRs sensibly with 11 weeks left.

The adventure race was on Saturday? If so I would say there's no need for you to do an LSR tonight. Two days after an adventure race, while you may feel fine now, is probably over egging it. Try a 10/11 mile LSR this week, but don't be afraid to pull the plug if it's not working out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

muddypaws wrote: »
    Thankfully I managed to overtake the woman doing park run this morning fully dressed and with a handbag - but it was close

Hey well done , lol. 4 miles into last year's fingal 10k I was overtaken by a woman running in flip flops, I though I was going reasonably well up to that point.

The Muppet wrote: »
    Hey well done , lol. 4 miles into last year's fingal 10k I was overtaken by a woman running in flip flops, I though I was going reasonably well up to that point.

Flip flops :eek: oh the blisters ouch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

Well done everyone some great reading. I took 3 days off went away nice to let the legs rest. Trying to plan out this week not sure now whether to stick with the 3.15 runners world plan or move to the more realistic asics 3.30 plan , I really like the look of the asics plan so now might be a good time to change. Mmmmm decisions !

Well done everyone some great reading. I took 3 days off went away nice to let the legs rest. Trying to plan out this week not sure now weather to stick with the 3.15 runners world plan or move to the more realistic asics 3.30 plan , I really like the look of the asics plan so now might be a good time to change. Mmmmm decisions !

While I was off for 9 days through illness and missed out on training, I felt great this week and feel the time off without injury did my body good. I just feel behind on my distances.

I went out yesterday going for a 10 k, but felt good enough to do 13.2km. You should go out with the aim of doing a minimium of the 330 plan but if you feel up to it during the run, you can chnage it up. Dont over do it unless you feel up to it. Im going for the 4 hrs plan myself but I wont be afraid to do more if I feel my body can handle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Another week down, I am putting the miles in, but feel so slow doing it, but will keep plodding along and sticking to the plan (kinda)

Monday: Rest
    Tuesday: 6m easy @ 12:32
    Wednesday: rest
    Thursday 12 m LSR @ 12:39
    Friday 3 mile easy @ 12:18
    Saturday 3 mile easy Park Run @ 10:38
    Sunday 4 mile walk as cross training

Park Run wasn't meant to be so much faster than the other runs, but it just seems to happen when in that kind of atmosphere. It didn't feel like I was pushing it, although my legs did feel very tired. My Garmin charger is out for delivery today, finally, took 3 days to get from Heathrow to Dublin, so I'm hoping that I can pace myself properly from tomorrow. I have a 6 mile easy run planned with a friend tomorrow, and we're going to aim for 11 minute miles, although I will be doing the 'chatting test', so it may be a lot slower. She is a fast runner, but would like to do a longer run and may stick with me for once.

I'm going to be vanless from Wednesday morning for a week, so probably no park run, so am planning to finally do an LSR on a Saturday morning, I think maybe its time I started doing them in the morning anyway, so that my body is used to that time of the day for the marathon. So many things to think about!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

Well done to everyone who did the RnR half and great to see all the runs on strava. Special mention to the guy who seems to be running rectangles either in or very close to the Syrian border! Fair play - I think the rest of us can stop complaining that our running routes might be getting 'boring'!!

A good weeks training that ended up with an niggle of an injury, so what does that make it? :(

Mon: 6m @8:25 Was to be hill repeats according to plan, but I was going to be near hills Tuesday, so switched them around and did my tempo run Monday.
    Tues: Hill repeats x5, w/u and c/d. Pilates class in evening
    Wed: 4m easy @ 9:22
    Thurs: Rest
    Fri: 15m LSR @9:28. I was a bit apprehensive heading out for this one - I headed to the Phoenix park along the canal and it just seemed so much further than I usually go. Most of my runs are in loops closer to home. But I knew psychologically it would be good to see the map on strava, and it is :). Legs did feel tired after though, and I might have dozed off on the couch for 20 minutes in the afternoon! I usually run on empty, but I tried breakfast before and a gel during and my stomach was fine, but I can't honestly say I felt any 'boost' from the fuel!
    Sat: Cross train bike 30km
    Sun: Rest

I'd had a bit of a niggle in my hip that I'd noticed after the easy Wednesday run - like I'd bruised my iliac crest, but I couldn't remember banging it. It was really sore after the LSR. It's fine cycling, but really sore going up stairs so I headed to a therapist today. I'm told my glutes are a bit tight (I've always known I was a bit of a tight arse tbh). A bit of dry needling and cupping and some pummelling followed by a nice massage on my quads and calves will hopefully do the trick. I'm under instructions to do more rolling and have added a few extra stretches to my pre/post run routine so hopefully all will be well. I'm taking today as a rest and probably will skip a few runs this week to make sure it settles. The bike will get an extra work out though. I'd planned to be a week ahead of my plan anyway as I have a 100km bike ride next weekend, so I suppose the timing is ideal!
    Fingers crossed that I'll be able to get back on track. Seeing the posts from the few guys here that are back after taking some time out with injuries is reassuring though. Still plenty of time. Right? Right?? :D

I'm recognising a few runners out there now - tberes one older guy that I've been exchanging nods with for a few weeks and this week the 'conversation' moved up a step to giving out about the wind! Glad it's not just me who has a head wind no matter which way I'm facing!

How do i get into the Strava group?

Blind fold followed by paddling yeah?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Park Run wasn't meant to be so much faster than the other runs, but it just seems to happen when in that kind of atmosphere. It didn't feel like I was pushing it, although my legs did feel very tired.

Careful now!!! WW will be giving out if you do your Parkrun too fast, and maybe, accidentally achieve an unexpected PB.

:) :P :P

Well done on your week Muddy!

• Advertisement

beakerjoe wrote: »

quickbeam wrote: »
    You might also want to join the Strava group for the novices, for added motivation: https://www.strava.com/clubs/282063.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

beakerjoe wrote: »

If you're on strava, so to the toolbar at the bottom and click 'explore', then search for DCM Novices 2017 - boards.ie. Should pop up for you.

Found it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Candamir wrote: »
    Well done to everyone who did the RnR half and great to see all the runs on strava. Special mention to the guy who seems to be running rectangles either in or very close to the Syrian border! Fair play - I think the rest of us can stop complaining that our running routes might be getting 'boring'!!

Crikey, I had seen the rectangle, but hadn't noticed where it is. I spent time on a kibbutz very close to there a long time ago, fair play to whoever it is, and very well done for getting the miles in, that is dedication.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

Any run reports from the R&R HM? Would be interested to hear about the overall experience and route compared to other HMs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Another week down, I am putting the miles in, but feel so slow doing it, but will keep plodding along and sticking to the plan (kinda)

Monday: Rest
    Tuesday: 6m easy @ 12:32
    Wednesday: rest
    Thursday 12 m LSR @ 12:39
    Friday 3 mile easy @ 12:18
    Saturday 3 mile easy Park Run @ 10:38
    Sunday 4 mile walk as cross training

Park Run wasn't meant to be so much faster than the other runs, but it just seems to happen when in that kind of atmosphere. It didn't feel like I was pushing it, although my legs did feel very tired. My Garmin charger is out for delivery today, finally, took 3 days to get from Heathrow to Dublin, so I'm hoping that I can pace myself properly from tomorrow. I have a 6 mile easy run planned with a friend tomorrow, and we're going to aim for 11 minute miles, although I will be doing the 'chatting test', so it may be a lot slower. She is a fast runner, but would like to do a longer run and may stick with me for once.

I'm going to be vanless from Wednesday morning for a week, so probably no park run, so am planning to finally do an LSR on a Saturday morning, I think maybe its time I started doing them in the morning anyway, so that my body is used to that time of the day for the marathon. So many things to think about!

Don't be worried about "feeling slow doing it". You are following a plan and it's the most sensible thing to do.

I looked at a lot of RnR Half times and it's clear that many peoples training runs, easy, recovery and LSR are faster than their half marathon pace! That certainly goes against the advice of the Boards plan I think. Our mentors I expect would agree that your steady approach is way more beneficial for you. (and would be for those who seem to be having each training run as a time trial)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭ariana`

WW can I ask if you don't recommend those who did the half this weekend to do the FD10 as well then I'm assuming doing a 10m race on Aug 26th followed by a half 2 weeks later on Sept 9th isn't recommended either??

This was my plan as I'm not free do a half on Sept 22/23rd as hubby as a stag.

If I were only to do either the 10m or the half which would you recommend? I'm eager to do the 10miler as it's a new distance for me (and I've already pay the entrance fee :)). But equally eager to do the half as I feel it's a better reflection of where I am in terms of the marathon.

Sorry for the long winded post.

He said don't *race* them both. By all means do both and choose one to race (ie give it socks whereas the other keep to LSR pace).

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Don't be worried about "feeling slow doing it". You are following a plan and it's the most sensible thing to do.

I looked at a lot of RnR Half times and it's clear that many peoples training runs, easy, recovery and LSR are faster than their half marathon pace! That certainly goes against the advice of the Boards plan I think. Our mentors I expect would agree that your steady approach is way more beneficial for you. (and would be for those who seem to be having each training run as a time trial)

Just to clarify this. I had a good aul' nose on Strava myself, and saw a lot more Rock N Roll activity than I was expecting. What I mentioned was that those who were doing the R'N'R could do it instead of an LSR. Some did it as an LSR, which is also fine in my book. That said, my advice in relation to not racing both R'N'R and FD10 still stands.

Your point about some people doing their training runs too fast is still valid though.

• Advertisement

ariana` wrote: »
    WW can I ask if you don't recommend those who did the half this weekend to do the FD10 as well then I'm assuming doing a 10m race on Aug 26th followed by a half 2 weeks later on Sept 9th isn't recommended either??
    This was my plan as I'm not free do a half on Sept 22/23rd as hubby as a stag.
    If I were only to do either the 10m or the half which would you recommend? I'm eager to do the 10miler as it's a new distance for me (and I've already pay the entrance fee ). But equally eager to do the half as I feel it's a better reflection of where I am in terms of the marathon.
    Sorry for the long winded post.

Not quite. By all means run both if you wish :D However, I would only race one of them, and treat the other as a session. FD10 you'll have bigger numbers, and hence you'll be running with people all the way around (and you've paid your money) Plus it's further away (9 weeks) from DCM. Even so, the half has its pros as well. It probably gives a better reflection of how your marathon training is going, and it's not too close to the big day (7 weeks). Let us know what you decide!

Advertisement