Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options
1189190191192193195»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

The Muppet wrote: »
    The process last year was that our mentor looked for a volunteer to start the thread , I volunteered and so it was.

The Graduates thread has much less of a tradition than the Novices thread, and nothing is set in stone.

If Wubble Wubble wants to nominate someone to volunteer then great but as far as I'm concerned anyone can step up and get this rolling. Once it starts it's entirely up to the new graduates to make this work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Baby75 wrote: »
    Evening all :D

I have been reading last years DCM graduate thread just wondering when one for this year will begin, the plans look great, I like the 5 to 10 km but I think I need a better watch to plan out the tempo runs etc or how else would you do them my TomTom is very basic :D

Muddypaws how are you feeling now, I bet if you get out again you will feel much better :)

Sat here freezing with loads of layers on and the fire already lit, so thankfully just a cold :)

I'm going to concentrate on 5kms, maybe go back to my first 5km plan to start, then go on from there. I don't know if anyone saw the news from a UK Parkrun last weekend, a canicrosser got a time of 12:24, he won gold at the Euros in Italy. Obviously I'll never get near that, but it shows the difference having a dog out in front pulling you round can make. Ben's non dog assisted fastest 5k is 14:49.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

The Graduates thread has much less of a tradition than the Novices thread, and nothing is set in stone.

If Wubble Wubble wants to nominate someone to volunteer then great but as far as I'm concerned anyone can step up and get this rolling. Once it starts it's entirely up to the new graduates to make this work.

I'm not sure about that. I'm pretty sure the idea behind the graduate thread was so posters would have support and mentorship post DCM so as not to just go from getting tons of advice and support to nothing. There has and always was a mentor on the thread to help people with new goals and targets and gradually ease people into becoming self sufficient runners. The tradition is already there and the benefits of having another mentor has always been a huge positive for graduates imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

El Caballo wrote: »
    I'm not sure about that. I'm pretty sure the idea behind the graduate thread was so posters would have support and mentorship post DCM so as not to just go from getting tons of advice and support to nothing. There has and always was a mentor on the thread to help people with new goals and targets and gradually ease people into becoming self sufficient runners. The tradition is already there and the benefits of having another mentor has always been a huge positive for graduates imo.

Yes but any of this year's crew could start the thread up - who ever is keen to do it go for it. Then they can talk to Wubble Wubble and TBF about ideas for the mentor and approach them.

There's a prime candidate in our midst actually ^^ *cough cough* ;)

Baby why don't you get the ball rolling??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Yes but any of this year's crew could start the thread up - who ever is keen to do it go for it. Then they can talk to Wubble Wubble and TBF about ideas for the mentor and approach them.

There's a prime candidate in our midst actually ^^ *cough cough* ;)

Baby why don't you get the ball rolling??

I will get right on it so :)

• Advertisement

New Graduate Thread can be found Here
    I know at present that we know of no mentor has stepped forward or has been nominated yet, but we can start the ball rolling.
    We are all just getting back out and nearly recovered, that we can think about our next plan to follow or a race, we would like to target or chase a new PB

It will be great to keep in touch here or there and hopefully arrange some more meetups for a run and cuppa afterwards!

Take note future Novices 2018 meet up with your fellow novices :)

Link is now working :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Thanks N!!

Link isn't working. New thread can be found here.

quickbeam wrote: »
    Thanks N!!

Link isn't working. New thread can be found here.

Thanks quickbeam I sorted out the link :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

Did we get moved to Training Logs :confused:

ariana` wrote: »
    Did we get moved to Training Logs :confused:

No Ariana :) in keeping with tradition there is a graduate log for novices that you can join if

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Baby75 wrote: »
    No Ariana :) in keeping with tradition there is a graduate log for novices that you can join if

It seems to be in the training logs section...both threads are actually. That's relegation in any language! Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

skyblue46 wrote: »
    It seems to be in the training logs section...both threads are actually. That's relegation in any language! Haha

All of the previous Novices and Graduate threads are in the Training Logs section - you guys are now a training log reference for all future newbies!

Advertisement