Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

What sort of time are you hoping to run for the marathon?

Im hoping for around 4 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

9.07 per mile will give you a 3hr 59 marathon. WW can confirm but based on this then I think your LSR pace should be close to the 10 minutes mark.

Jack Daniels (not the drink; save those for post marathon celebrations!) give a good indication of paces etc.

https://runsmartproject.com/calculator/

Pacing especially on the LSRs is something which I struggled with last year during the marathon training cycle. For your first marathon a lot of it is about getting time on your feet.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Im hoping for around 4 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

beakerjoe wrote: »
    What kind of distance and speed is she clocking up?

It can be hard to tell yourself to slow down sometimes. Its all about discipline.

I always feel that im going too slow sometimes myself.

She a great little runner :) she can run her 5km in 25 minutes so by my limited novice knowledge her lsr pace in KM should be close to 6 minutes to 6.30-minute km she is running them between 5 minute and 5.30 and up to 22Km now. I read a great article on why slowing down is so beneficial for you https://runnersconnect.net/wrong-long-run-pace/
    Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Don't look at my Strava so, I'd be kicked out of the group :pac:

I just can't seem to slow down to what people are recommending, although the pace seems absolutely fine to me I'm sure I should be slower, and I'm afraid that it won't help me for the big day.

LOL maybe you need to look at https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/ or similar and work out your LSR pace, maybe it is your slow pace or maybe you do need to slow down. It can be hard at first but its worth it I have seen my 5km and 10km times improve since I started :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Did in the end actually do a gentle 2 mile jog and felt ok. But crucially I didn't go to my 6am fitness class and slept a little bit later. Had been going to a fitness class most Fridays at 6 am and it 'breaks the body down' a bit, especially so early.. Needed it to develop my core but it's also very very hard on the body when combined with high mileage...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭ariana`

Been on staycation for the past week. I've done a couple of easy runs but no pmp and not following the plan. Been eating lots of chips and drinking lots of beers (just 1-2 at a time but pretty much every night, yikes). Feeling quite sh*t now and stressed about getting back on the plan :(

In my defense I have done a good bit of cycling (pulling a trailer with an almost 5 and 2 yr old in it) so i haven't been completely idle but still feel like i've lost ground.

Home tomorrow so hoping to do a 16m lsr to redeem myself but I won't get this week's pmp run done :( And I'm nervous of managing the lsr after a week of eating & drinking junk :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

ariana` wrote: »
    Been on staycation for the past week. I've done a couple of easy runs but no pmp and not following the plan. Been eating lots of chips and drinking lots of beers (just 1-2 at a time but pretty much every night, yikes). Feeling quite sh*t now and stressed about getting back on the plan :(

In my defense I have done a good bit of cycling (pulling a trailer with an almost 5 and 2 yr old in it) so i haven't been completely idle but still feel like i've lost ground.

Home tomorrow so hoping to do a 16m lsr to redeem myself but I won't get this week's pmp run done :( And I'm nervous of managing the lsr after a week of eating & drinking junk :(

Ah don't be worrying, I eat junk all the time and rarely would a night pass without 2/3 craft beers! I'll give it up for Sept and October :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Good luck to everyone doing their long runs today. Tis a grand day for it (here at least!). Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

quickbeam wrote: »
    Good luck to everyone doing their long runs today. Tis a grand day for it (here at least!). Enjoy.

14m for HHN1, looking forward to it!

Hoping the weather stays decent until after work!!

My week:

Monday - 14mile LSR - 22.62km @ 8:04

Tuesday - 6.35 leisurely walk

Wednesday - 6 mile - 10.1km @ 7:29

Thursday - 5.63 moderate walk

Friday - 3 mile - 5.17km @ 7:09

Saturday - 3 mile - Parkrun in 32:40 (not a PB!)

Sunday - rest

And my musings on the week:

- Long runs are getting increasingly difficult. And I can't say I'm even enjoying them. It's a real battle of wills to finish each one. I'm thinking (now, but things could change post marathon) that once this training is over I'll never do more than 10-12km again!

- I actually didn't feel at all well after my LSR - feeling of nausea and breathlessness that only started once I'd finished the run. When I'm actually running it's my legs, joints, muscles that are feeling the pain. My lungs are quite well. But I noticed the last two long runs that once I stop running I actually feel more breathless. It took a good half hour after the run to recover from the nausea and breathlessness. And about 24 hours to recover from the muscle fatigue. Probably normal enough at this stage of training?

- I really tried to slow down on my runs. It may not look like it with the pace all over the place though. I took the long run *very* easy from the beginning, but I'm not sure it made much difference in my ability to finish it though. However, I'll never know how it might have been that much harder had I not started as slow.

- Related to the above, I think I'm still trying to figure out my PMP. I feel I'm getting fitter all the time, and considering how unfit I was to start with, that improvement is probably steeper than anybody else's here. And I'm still losing weight too, and will probably continue to do so up to the marathon, but the lighter I am, the faster my PMP, in theory at least. So, I'm still wavering on an actual finishing time. I guess my FD result should guide me a bit. It's been hard to figure out previously with only one official race done (Fingal 10K) so having a second might give me more perspective.

- I am looking forward to a step back week for the FD10. Only having to do a "mere" 16km seems like a glorious blessing, even if a lot of it will be an uphill struggle.

- I am really starting to notice the shorter days coming in as I get up for my runs early in the morning!

- I ate pre-Parkrun today for the first time (at about 7am). I usually run on empty, but I figured I'd try food as I'll probably need to eat pre the races upcoming. It didn't feel wholly comfortable, but it was about 90% okay, so I think I'd be okay to eat pre FD10 next week and hope for the best.

- Anyone else check where they'd be on marathon day based on what they've run? My long run means I can now get as far as Drimnagh, and Crumlin's Children's Hospital!

- Total running for the week - 42.95km, so a full marathon for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Back from two weeks drinking and eating rubbish. Out this morning to do a planned 14m and knee went after about9. Head wrecked now. Definitely my own fault for struggling to slow the pace down and getting too ambitious. Had to ring the other half to come and collect me. Hoping it's ok in a day or two.
    Just loaded up strava there and joined the novice group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RolandDeschain

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    Back from two weeks drinking and eating rubbish. Out this morning to do a planned 14m and knee went after about9. Head wrecked now. Definitely my own fault for struggling to slow the pace down and getting too ambitious. Had to ring the other half to come and collect me. Hoping it's ok in a day or two.

Ah terrible luck! Rest it up and get it seen to if it is still bothering ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RolandDeschain

Running moment of the week.....running up howth Hill (thinking aren't I great) when three lads absolutely belt it past me at a ridiculous pace. Just as I was feeling a bit demoralised the last fella told me "good running, lad".

3 words. Massive injection of moral worth about 10 gels.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭choons

Two week update!

Day: Planned/Actual

Week 15 (Starting 7/8)
    Monday: 3/3k - No probs.
    Tuesday: 5/5.2k - No probs.
    Wednesday: 10/9.3k - Really struggled - not sure why, cut run short.
    Thursday: 5/6.6k - Ran with a friend. Should have stuck to my pace, went too fast and didn't feel great.
    Friday: Rest/Weights - Some light weights.
    Saturday: 19/20.2 - Really struggled but got the LSR done. Did the FD 10m route plus a bit extra. Rock and Roll 5k was on in the park so lots going on.
    Sunday: Cross/Cycled 80km. Felt good, haven't done a big cycle in years
    Total: 42/44.3 - Overall a tough week.

Week 16 (Starting 14/8)
    Monday: 3/0k - Cycled 74km
    Tuesday: 5/5k - No probs.
    Wednesday: 10/10.7k - Felt much better than last weeks 10k.
    Thursday: 5/6.6k - Ran with a friend. Stuck to my pace this time.
    Friday: Rest/Cross - Cycled 30k.
    Saturday: 23/23.1 - Felt so much better than last week even though this was a longer LSR.
    Sunday: Cross/3km - Planning to do a 3k to make up for Monday, will see if I feel like it tomorrow.
    Total: 46/46.9 - Much better than last week and lots of cycling!

"Talent does not exist, put the effort in!" - Me '17

• Registered Users Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭Lazare

Running moment of the week.....running up howth Hill (thinking aren't I great) when three lads absolutely belt it past me at a ridiculous pace. Just as I was feeling a bit demoralised the last fella told me "good running, lad".

3 words. Massive injection of moral worth about 10 gels.

I had a funny one today. Running down towards Terenure my mate cycled by and gave me a big wave, that gave me a good boost but when I approached the village he was standing at a crossroads waiting to cross. I'm wearing black shorts and my orange Fingal shirt. Just as I got to him and got ready to give him a high 5 a guy came from the other direction wearing the exact same clothes, we met at the same point. My mate points at both of us and goes 'well this is weird'.

Was weird. I laughed for about 2 miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Got a black eye running yesterday. Guess I was due my first spill

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Should strava automatically upload previous runs from Garmin connect or will it only take on data from the moment I register onwards.?

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭choons

Lazare wrote: »
    I had a funny one today. Running down towards Terenure my mate cycled by and gave me a big wave, that gave me a good boost but when I approached the village he was standing at a crossroads waiting to cross. I'm wearing black shorts and my orange Fingal shirt. Just as I got to him and got ready to give him a high 5 a guy came from the other direction wearing the exact same clothes, we met at the same point. My mate points at both of us and goes 'well this is weird'.

Was weird. I laughed for about 2 miles.

I'm pretty sure that was me!!

Passed through Terenure around 10am heading into town in my Fingal shirt, a funny moment alright . . . wish I said something clever now :pac:

Nice to meet you Lazare, haha :D

Should strava automatically upload previous runs from Garmin connect or will it only take on data from the moment I register onwards.?

Should load older runs but might take a day or so to happen. If there's a way to push them through I'm not aware of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭Lazare

choons wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that was me!!

Passed through Terenure around 10am heading into town in my Fingal shirt, a funny moment alright . . . wish I said something clever now :pac:

Nice to meet you Lazare, haha :D

No way!!

That's mad! Was wondering if it was someone in here, but thought it was a massive long shot.

Nice to fleetingly meet you :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Should load older runs but might take a day or so to happen. If there's a way to push them through I'm not aware of it.

The Garmin thread in the Gear/Equipment forum recommends this. https://tapiriik.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

Bit of a mixed bag for me this week.

Monday 3.6 miles @ 10.3 - had puddles in my shoes but felt really hard core out running. Met only 2 other runners out on what is usually a busy route.

Wednesday 6.2 miles @ 10.2 - had a twinge in my leg afterwards so decided to miss the third short run so I could be in good shape for my LSR.

Saturday 9.8 miles @ 11.3 - wanted to do at least 11 miles but my leg decided otherwise. Went out really really slowly with my main aim to get some long time on my feet - felt like I could take on the world still at 7.5 miles but by 9 my shin started to ache and after 10 mins of deliberating I decided not to risk it and to walk from 9.8 miles. I didn't want to risk not being able for the FD 10 next week. Think I just upped my mileage too soon after coming back - felt fine once I started walking and is a little twingey but nothing major now so hope after a bit of rest it will settle down. I'm sure there were other boardsies out and about - I was the crazy slow girl in a pink top saying hello to everyone just in case ;-)

Hope my leg settles down as had some run tourism planned for early next week - it's a new phenomenon for me but realizing now that it's a great way to get to see more of the places I travel to.

I'm still well behind on the plan but hope that by being conservative I'll claw back the miles slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

Just posted about my struggles too. Hope it's not too serious and is just your body giving out about doing too much too quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Red_Open

Are we allowed look for physio recommendations here? Picked up an odd injury during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭muddypaws

14 mile LSR this morning, I had my van so did park run then kept on running. It was tough, I really can't see me running the whole marathon, there will be some walking involved I think. Although hopefully it won't be as warm in October, and maybe if I stick to the plan that will change.

I haven't been feeling that great the last week, just couldn't quench my thirst for a couple of days, have been drinking lots but not getting the benefit. Sweated buckets today, ran my hand over my face and wondered how I had got muddy until I realised it was salt, so bought some diorylate on the way home, don't know if it's better or worse than a sports drink but thought I'd give it a go. I had chocolate milk, a banana and Lidl cheese twist straight after the run so hopefully covered all the bases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

muddypaws wrote: »
    14 mile LSR this morning, I had my van so did park run then kept on running. It was tough, I really can't see me running the whole marathon, there will be some walking involved I think. Although hopefully it won't be as warm in October, and maybe if I stick to the plan that will change.

I haven't been feeling that great the last week, just couldn't quench my thirst for a couple of days, have been drinking lots but not getting the benefit. Sweated buckets today, ran my hand over my face and wondered how I had got muddy until I realised it was salt, so bought some diorylate on the way home, don't know if it's better or worse than a sports drink but thought I'd give it a go. I had chocolate milk, a banana and Lidl cheese twist straight after the run so hopefully covered all the bases.

I really hope this isn't the case for you, but I felt identical last Saturday and have been pretty much bed bound since Tuesday afternoon with a virus.

Keep drinking plenty of fluids.

ps. I mix dioralyte with BCAA's for gym & long runs, works very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭positron

Did my first decent week in the training so far, without skipping any runs. However looking at everyone talking aboit 14 mile LSR, it looks like I have slightly messed up my plan - I must be behind by a week, will have to figure out how to catch up.

Anyway 5, 10, 5 during the week was fine if a bit slower than usual, 10k was 75% in torrential downpour, which I enjoyed and more importantly didn't get sick or anything.

LSR today was hard. A lot of minor interruptions as I had to bring kids along (on their bikes) to Oldbridge, but on the plus side, herself had water for me between loops. Everything went reasonably well up until about 22k, some 2k from home. Plan was to run all the way back, but I was done. My legs felt inflated. Knees sore. Quads & calfs stiff, left foot aching. Walked home 2k, longest cool down ever, and when I got home kids noticed my face was covered in white dust.. Salt of course from sweat drying in multiple times. I may need to wash my face mid marathon, or organizers might pull me out thinking I am snorting powder to get thru the run (hmm..not a bad idea considering the pain I am in right now after doing just a half.)

Fingers crossed this gets easier in next few weeks.

PS: Strangest feeling towards the end of the run today - pins and needles on my forearms!! Just a nuisance than anything else but going to read up on it, just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,459 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Struggling to get out in the evenings with the misses and the kids.

Managed to get a 6 km during lunch on Tuesday , Thursday hit an 8km in and then a 20km in on Saturday (just under two hours ). Also put up 240km on the bike commuting and 5km in the pool during lunch

Cardio I was fine and could have kept going. I have to build up the legs and joints.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

muddypaws wrote: »

Have you tried the zero tablets or the nuun tablets you dissolve in water I used to bring a bottle of water with zero on my run. Like that as mileage increased I found myself unable to quench my thirst. It was lack of sodium was the issue. Cured it that day by actually taking a pinch of salt suggested by husband who is experienced runner. After that used the zero on my long runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

My week:

Monday - 14mile LSR - 22.62km @ 8:04

Tuesday - 6.35 leisurely walk

Wednesday - 6 mile - 10.1km @ 7:29

Thursday - 5.63 moderate walk

Friday - 3 mile - 5.17km @ 7:09

Saturday - 3 mile - Parkrun in 32:40 (not a PB!)

Sunday - rest

And my musings on the week:

- Long runs are getting increasingly difficult. And I can't say I'm even enjoying them. It's a real battle of wills to finish each one. I'm thinking (now, but things could change post marathon) that once this training is over I'll never do more than 10-12km again!

- I actually didn't feel at all well after my LSR - feeling of nausea and breathlessness that only started once I'd finished the run. When I'm actually running it's my legs, joints, muscles that are feeling the pain. My lungs are quite well. But I noticed the last two long runs that once I stop running I actually feel more breathless. It took a good half hour after the run to recover from the nausea and breathlessness. And about 24 hours to recover from the muscle fatigue. Probably normal enough at this stage of training?

Epsom salt bath great after long runs for muscle repair. Protein within 20 mins of long run also important. Plenty of stretching too. In relation to breathing if in doubt go to doc would be my advise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

Week 6 done

MondayWasn't sure what to do, plan had hill sprints but I had a few days off. Went out the door with no idea what to do, did 1km warm up/3miles @4.10 pace/1k easy/2 miles @4.05/2k easy/1miles @4.02 pace. This felt like a good session made up on the fly.
    TuesdayRest
    Wednesdy Ran to work 15k @5.15
    Thursday Went to Trinity with intention of doing a few 400's, did 2 on my own with 30 seconds rest (well second one had no rest ) seen the group who where starting a session- 3 sets of 6*400 with 30seconds rest and 2 mins after 6. Jumped in and did a total of 20 x 400 all at 85-87. I was really feeling this haven't gone beyond 12 x 400 in the past.
    FridayRest
    Saturday Long Run , 18mile was called for (29km) I wanted to practice taking gels as I will on Marathon day and eat and drink same as on day. So had no breakfast (plan for day will be no breakfast) took 1 gel before leaving then 1 gel every 5miles. I find taking the gel in slowly over the course of a couple of minutes and sipping after each bit easier on my stomach as opposed to swallowing it in one go. Brought 500ml of water drank half of it an hour , and refilled at a public tap near end.
    My tip for the long run is to break it up into 10k's , it doesn't feel so long to me that way. Marathon is only 4 x 10k and a little bit at end. Run went well ,second half was into a gale headwind for the whole way which wasn't that pleasant. Ended up looking like a progression run which was unplanned but I seem to naturally start slow and speed up.
    29.1k @5.18
    SundayWent out for half an hour 5k @5.41

Week total 72km which is highest ever
    Plan for next week - no idea , I'm guessing we should skip intervals if racing Frank Duffy?

Advertisement