Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

quickbeam wrote: »
    I see a LOT of Phoenix Park on the Strava activity today :) I hope everybody enjoyed themselves!!!

Another question about pacing wristbands for races ... should the times always be spread out evenly over the course of the distance, eg: 10% of your target time for each mile in the FD 10 Mile? Or could you play it a bit more strategically, and based on the last mile being mostly uphill assign, say, 12% of your overall target time to that mile, and then divide the other 88% t<script id="gpt-impl-0.05316815009376241" src="https://securepubads.g.doubleclick.net/gpt/pubads_impl_142.js"></script>o the other 9 miles? Or similarly for the HM where the first half is mostly uphill and the second half mostly downhill, would you assign, say, 55% of your time to the first half and 45% of your time to the second half? Or am I hugely just over complicating things??

Some people prefer to start conservatively and finish strongly, others go for even splits. Don't overcomplicate it based on terrain. It would be bad for rhythm to keep chopping and changing your pace. Allow a bit for the hill if you prefer but remember as it's near the end you can give it everything so it won't be too slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

+1 to the above I would suggest to aim to run an even pace for the marathon; taking into account changes in terrain etc is just an other complication.

As we get closer to the day I am sure WW will be on giving a tonne of advice about the day itself; if you are with a pace group they will be aiming for even splits....I also remember last year on the DCM Marathon Facebook page they had an ask the pacer event which I found interesting.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I won't be with any pacers. None there slow enough for me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

LSR Done, 12.9 miles @ 8:24 mile pace. Probably a bit fast but didn't feel difficult, took me one or two miles to settle in but after that it was plain sailing. Really enjoyed it although my knees are absolutely killing me now. Ran behind a lad from the phoenix Park up to the Jameson brewery, constantly wondering is he on this thread haha.

Took in 250ml water with about 8k to go, I also took a high 5 ISO gel (berry flavoured) and found it an absolute treat to go down! Not gloopy like the SIS ones, goes down the hatch really easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭Lazare

Another week chalked off, jebus they're flying.

Another good week too, Tue and Thurs just went to plan, nothing really to report but Wednesday was great. I really love the Wednesday session, have gotten into the habit of early to bed early to rise midweek which is a total life turnaround for me compared with a couple of years ago. Nothing beats cracking off 11k on a Wednesday morning and being back to chill out and have a nice breakfast an hour before you have to leave for work. I've never been so productive in work either, situations that used to send me into a stressball spiral now bounce off me, It's amazing. Man I love running.

Today's LSR was interesting. I decided to drive to the Red Cow Luas P&R and run into town with the intention of getting the Luas back. The first time I've done something like that and not ran halfway out and turned around. Have to say it does look awesome on the map :)

Got a bit confused at the start, ran the wrong way looking for that pedestrian bridge over the M50, hit a dead end and had to turn back, that took up 1k.

Decided to run it on an empty stomach this week as it was a 'short' one, that combined with running the first 8k a little too fast and tackling that Kyber hill in the Phoeno mid way meant I faded badly for the last 5 or 6k. Legs were screaming at me towards the end, it was a really great test of mental strength.

The Saturday runners high makes all the pain worthwhile imo. Love it.

Will likely head out for a recovery jog tomorrow, haven't been doing enough of that.

Well done to everyone else.

Go us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Lazare wrote: »
    Another week chalked off, jebus they're flying.

Got a bit confused at the start, ran the wrong way looking for that pedestrian bridge over the M50, hit a dead end and had to turn back, that took up 1k.

. Legs were screaming at me towards the end, it was a really great test of mental strength.

The Saturday runners high makes all the pain worthwhile imo. Love it.

Will likely head out for a recovery jog tomorrow, haven't been doing enough of that.

Well done to everyone else.

Go us.

Have to agree with the mental strength, my knees were really sore to the point were I felt like stopping but I said to myself if this was the marathon I wouldn't stop, and anyone who's sponsored me would basically be wasting theyre money! I kept going and got home all in one piece :)

Think I'll go for a recovery jog tomorrow, what's the deal with them?? Short slow run to help the muscles repair??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Have to agree with the mental strength, my knees were really sore to the point were I felt like stopping but I said to myself if this was the marathon I wouldn't stop, and anyone who's sponsored me would basically be wasting theyre money! I kept going and got home all in one piece :)

Think I'll go for a recovery jog tomorrow, what's the deal with them?? Short slow run to help the muscles repair??

Short and VERY slow! Yeah it'd be a good idea. Well done on today's run.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Damo 2k9 wrote: »

20 minutes very slow , barely worth getting into the running gear slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭muddypaws

The Muppet wrote: »
    20 minutes very slow , barely worth getting into the running gear slow.

Thankfully I managed to overtake the woman doing park run this morning fully dressed and with a handbag - but it was close

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

My week:

Monday - 12 mile LSR - 19.42km @ 7:40 pace. Felt I could have gone slower, as I don't think I could keep that pace up for the marathon. It is hard to go slower though! The first half felt absolutely great! I took up running for fitness and weight-loss reasons not for the sheer joy of it, but more and more I do "get" why people run for fun, though it's still only a minority of the time I understand that, but the first half of the run did give me that feeling. I took some fuel at about 10km and the second half was a whole different story, a real slog homewards. I doubt it was the fuel (raisins) that did it, I can only guess that it might have been even more difficult without the fuel to drive me on. But I did it! I drank water, and stretched, and had 250ml of chocolate milk when I got home (horrible stuff, hopefully it helped the recovery though), and then barely moved for the rest of the day!!!

Tuesday - 6.3km leisurely walk.

Wednesday - 6 mile - 10.74km @ 7:26

Thursday - 6.83km moderately paced walk in the Phoenix Park doing, as promised last week, a reccy on the north side of Chesterfield Avenue in preparation for FD10. It wasn't as scary to me as the south side, in fairness.

Friday - 3 mile - 5.17km @ 7:15, felt I could have gone faster, but forced myself to keep it easy, though could/should have probably gone even slower.

Saturday - 3 mile - 5km Parkrun in an unexpected PB of 32:00!

Sunday - rest

Total running = 40.34km - weird to think that over four runs I haven't even reached the distance I'll need to do in one marathon run!

So, despite all my posts earlier in the week about trusting the plan, and how training is expected to be hard, I'm not feeling much confidence in being able for 14 miles next week. When I look at the route I've planned out on the map it just seems so FAR!! But, well, I guess I won't know until I try it, and that's the plan for early next week. My belt has arrived, so no excuses about not having water or fuel with me en route. It IS a battle of mental as well as physical endurance, so head down, get on with it, I guess. And to know that when it's done, that's one less long-run to have to do before the big day itself! It sure should give me confidence in the FD "mere" ten miles, if I can do 14 next week too. Looking forward to it with equal amounts anticipation and dread!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭positron

LSR today and I was so tired yet so glad that I did all the extra loops around Oldbridge that by the time I get home it would be 21k, my first half marathon ever. That thought kept me going and as I glanced at the watch and it said 20.something, so I kept going watch beeped, I was thrilled for my first ever half, kept going another bit for the .1 or whatever just to be sure. When I thought it was safe, I stopped, stopped the watch and clicked 'done', and then it says "Congratulations, longest ever run 20.97k". I nearly cried. 

Anyway, I am calling it a half (adjusted for GPS inaccuracies). 2h 19 mins. Reality kicks in that 4h Marathon finish is just dreaming. 5 hours sounds more realistic, fingers crossed.

Well done everyone, looks like we are getting into the harder part of the training in the coming weeks. Harder but more rewarding too. Keep on rocking!!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

Not quite back to full marathon training but getting there.

Wednesday: 5km at 6:30 km pace

Friday:10km at 6:30 but with lots of hills

Saturday: Cavan adventure race - very hilly 5.5km with a kayak and cycle on top. Was great fun but from now on I'm only focusing on one thing.

Sunday: full recovery planned :-)

Physio exercises in the gym also during the week.
    All going well I'll be out doing my LSR next week. But will have to revise the mileage - maybe 11 - depending on how my recovery is tomorrow. I'm sure your are bored by now with me saying this but I'll say it again anyway - it's good to be back ;-)

I did the exact same thing on my 'first' half marathon LSR positron.

Stopped about 80m short.

Lots of crack of dawn early risers this morning churning out the miles.

V impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭positron

Lazare wrote: »
    Today's LSR was interesting. I decided to drive to the Red Cow Luas P&R and run into town with the intention of getting the Luas back. The first time I've done something like that and not ran halfway out and turned around. Have to say it does look awesome on the map :)

That does look great in the map. As I don't run in Dublin I don't have a sense of size/distances there, in comparison my 20.9k didn't really make much of splash in the countryside around Drogheda. Its' really good to see this distance across the city, covers a lot of ground alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Good Morning :D So happy to report, I got up nice and early at 5 am with the hubby and we got out and ran 12 miles my longest distance yet :D it is a huge milestone as it is my first ever 12miles and tomorrow the 14th I celebrate 1 year running :)
    Today's run went great, legs felt better today compared to the 10-mile LSR, my knees were hurting on and off hubby said the same and I think it was the ground it was uneven underfoot as we ran on the Barrow track, it went as soon as we were off the grass.
    I was a little worried about my left foot, on Friday's run it started hurting like a cramp it eased off but came back again when I stopped and was very sore when I took off my runner with swelling on the lateral side in the middle. it's not sore anymore and was fine today I wore my trail runners today though! I only got new runners recently and I am hoping it means they need more breaking in and not that they are lifting my arch causing strain on the side of my foot :eek:

Well done everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Omeceron

Week 7. Another week down. LSR was fine. I have found a new route. Nice quiet country roads with a few decent hills. I'm hoping they'll stand to me in October...

I'm going for a sports massage on Wednesday.

Day | Run | Pace
    Mon | Rest|
    Tue | 4 Miles Easy| 10:27
    Wed | 1wu 5 PMP 1 cd| 10:22
    Thu | Rest|
    Fri | Rest |
    Sat | 14 Miles | 10:38
    Sun | 3.35 Miles Recovery| 10:19

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

15 mile Lsr this morning- felt pretty good- beginning to see light at the end of the tunnel!

Great to see a lot of people out running this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 23,459 ✭✭✭✭ted1

101st member here.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

Really enjoyed it today. Was tough from 18-19km. Really felt it. Thought I was going to get sick at 19km

2:13 by my watch. Pizza and pint or two later

Week 7 review

Monday: Foam roll & stretch
    Tuesday: 8.24km Intervals and speed work
    Wednesday: Foam Roll & Stretch (family called up...no run)
    Thursday: 6km @5:52min/km
    Friday: Rest - painting a house for one of the lads
    Saturday: Rest
    Sunday: Rock n Roll 1/2

LSR milage going up again next weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RolandDeschain

Well done to the folks that did the RnR half today. Some good viewing on Strava. Helped get me off the couch and do my recovery run this morning.

Well done to the folks that did the RnR half today. Some good viewing on Strava. Helped get me off the couch and do my recovery run this morning.

Looking forward to all the race reports. Wouldn't mind giving it a go next year. Although after my first adventure race yesterday, Id definitely do more. Decisions descisions ....

Baby75 wrote: »
    Good Morning :D So happy to report, I got up nice and early at 5 am with the hubby and we got out and ran 12 miles my longest distance yet :D it is a huge milestone as it is my first ever 12miles and tomorrow the 14th I celebrate 1 year running :)
    Today's run went great, legs felt better today compared to the 10-mile LSR, my knees were hurting on and off hubby said the same and I think it was the ground it was uneven underfoot as we ran on the Barrow track, it went as soon as we were off the grass.
    I was a little worried about my left foot, on Friday's run it started hurting like a cramp it eased off but came back again when I stopped and was very sore when I took off my runner with swelling on the lateral side in the middle. it's not sore anymore and was fine today I wore my trail runners today though! I only got new runners recently and I am hoping it means they need more breaking in and not that they are lifting my arch causing strain on the side of my foot :eek:

Well done everyone :)

Well done on your 14 miles. I really noticed as well the big difference the trail runners make for the uneven ground in my runs over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RolandDeschain

leesider77 wrote: »
    Looking forward to all the race reports. Wouldn't mind giving it a go next year. Although after my first adventure race yesterday, Id definitely do more. Decisions descisions ....

I would love to do an adventure race. I am incredibly clumsy though, so whether I would survive is a different question. Post marathon goal there.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

Did the rock and roll half today. Steady start but those last few miles (as expected) with the hills were particularly tough. Got quite a lot of chafing too, have to walk around a bit like John Wayne now to avoid them rubbing! Any tips to help reduce chafing between the thighs (for a guy)?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Kmagic

thunderdog wrote:
    Did the rock and roll half today. Steady start but those last few miles (as expected) with the hills were particularly tough. Got quite a lot of chafing too, have to walk around a bit like John Wayne now to avoid them rubbing! Any tips to help reduce chafing between the thighs (for a guy)?

I use compression shorts under my normal running shorts or 2 in 1 shorts, and loads of vaseline "down there". You really can't use too much vaseline.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

leesider77 wrote: »
    `

Thanks :) which one did you do! In to the Bloom :) I wore my trail runners at the Lilliput adventure race in July worked well :) I have the Rock and Roll on my list of runs for next year LOL
    thunderdog wrote: »

I was just going to say compression shorts ( that's what my hubby wears) and or some vaseline as already been mentioned!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

thunderdog wrote: »

Bodyglide seems to be the gold standard for chaffing issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Week 8

Another fantastic week's work from so many of you. Keep those Rock 'N' Roll reports coming; I'm seeing lots of evidence of this on Strava, but not so much of it here ;)

Just before we leave the subject of R'N'R. If you raced it flat out today, it's not a good idea to race the Frank Duffy 10 Mile as well, if you have an entry for that one. There's lots of scope for sessions within that distance; I'll put a course guide here nearer the time.

Great work on the LSRs too; I seem to remember a comment a page or two back of "only 14 miles" :)

All this is growing evidence of the fact that you've come a long way even since we started the plans proper in late June, let alone since the thread started in early May. And we fully intend to continue in the same fashion until journey's end on October 29, a mere 11 weeks from today :D

Couple of things I noticed:

Some of you are finishing out LSRs even though clearly injured. While in one way this shows considerable bravery, sometimes it's better to leave that last mile or two behind, and keep your powder dry for the following week. Fantastic to see that some of you have made recoveries from earlier injuries, and are now right back in the game :D

If you're running an LSR, possibly not the best idea (long term) to chase a parkrun PB in the middle of it? Belated congrats on that one (you know who you are ;) ] but remember to keep the main thing the main thing, as one of my collaborators often says :pac:

Thanks to him, and to all my other collaborators/contributors :)

Schedules for next week as follows. Both plans take a little step up as regards mileage. Not much percentage wise, but enough that you might feel it towards the end :)

HHN1: 3M easy + 6M easy + 3M easy + 14M LSR + rest
    Boards: 4M easy + (1M w/u, 6M pace, 1M c/d) + 4M easy + 16M LSR + 2M rec

Good luck everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Candamir wrote: »
    Bodyglide seems to be the gold standard for chaffing issues.

+1 Bodyglide or Sportshield is also good. Or run like John Wayne to begin with :)

Advertisement