Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Tired, sore... increasingly 'weary'... I'm taking tomorrow and Saturday off....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Spirogyra wrote: »

I took yesterday off, and am trying to get up the energy to go out for a 3 miler now. I don't know how people run marathons year after year, the commitment and time needed to allocate to training really does take over, I don't mind the long runs, because I feel they are a special session, so I prepare for them, and know they need to be done, but dragging myself out for 3 miles just seems so boring and mundane. Of course in a few weeks, I'll be wishing we were only doing 3 mile easy runs :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Thanks for this! I'll go with the option of racing the half anyway. I was going to race both but I'm seeing herself struggle through her plan this week with tired legs and regretting getting carried away and turning a planned session into a race!

Thankfully the body is coping well so far. I've not missed a run, got up to 18 miles and yesterday was a 6m PMP. All runs have been very easy or recovery with the exception of the midweek session so hopefully this will continue.

New runners arrived in the post today. All going well they'll be the ones for the big day. Can't wait to get out and try them today. Isn't it amazing the little things that can bring happiness! :D

Wore my new ones last night for my 6 miles last night as my others still had puddles in them from Monday. My feet were not very happy afterwards :-( My advice is to try them out for a shorter run first. I'll try them on a few more shorter runs but my gut is that I'll be back in amphibian king again looking for an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

I'd look for parking towards the Parkgate end of the park if I was you. I parked at the Castleknock end last Saturday at 8am no problem but when I passed my car 95 mins later during my long run there wasn't a space on the road....and the RnR 5k didn't start until 11!!!! :eek:

So what time do you think we'll be safe to get parking at? 8:30?? I've just been informed I have to travel all week with work next week and will get back at midnight the night before the race so will need all the sleep I can get that night.

Think I'm going to run the route on Saturday morning. Feel better when I know what's around the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭muddypaws

leesider77 wrote: »
    Wore my new ones last night for my 6 miles last night as my others still had puddles in them from Monday. My feet were not very happy afterwards :-( My advice is to try them out for a shorter run first. I'll try them on a few more shorter runs but my gut is that I'll be back in amphibian king again looking for an alternative.

Thats a shame. On my second run with my new Brooks I got a blister, but it appears it was the hole in the sock that caused the blister, not the other way round, I've worn them a few times since and no problems. Going to wear them for the 14 mile LSR at the weekend. I hope yours turn out to be OK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

While Im following the Boards plan, im a little behind going for a 14 mile run this weekend, gonna shorten it to 9 or 10. Got new insoles for my Ascics Kayanos, gonna stick with them for the DCM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Gutted im missing FD10, would have loving to complete the whole race series this year along with the marathon but ive signed up for the Half just there, basically ran a half last weekend unintentionally and wasnt too bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

So what time do you think we'll be safe to get parking at? 8:30?? I've just been informed I have to travel all week with work next week and will get back at midnight the night before the race so will need all the sleep I can get that night.

Think I'm going to run the route on Saturday morning. Feel better when I know what's around the corner.

Remember there are lots more places both in the park and outside that are within warm up and cool down range. I wouldn't be too worried about getting parked on one small bit of road.

There are no real surprises on the route. Just remember the last 2 miles are the toughest!

Oh I have had the opposite result. Did 5 miles in them today and I will reserve judgment until after a long run but first impressions were amazing! If they are good for a long run I'll bin the Kayanos and Nike Zoom Structures forever!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Seems like a very sensible move; sometimes you just have to listen to your body and take a couple of rest days.

If it is just muscle soreness/tiredness are you foam rolling and stretching? Sometimes a good soak in the bath can work wonders aswell.

The most important thing is to get right before heading out again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

I went out with a running group at lunch time and did 20 x 400m repeats with 30 seconds rest and 2 mins rest after 6. Did them all in 85-86 range. (tough session but I hung on in)
    I got home and went for a two hour walk with kids up over Howth, ending up giving jockey backs to both of them at different times , my legs are like lead now.

I'm definitely taking tomorrow off. Tired and back aching from lifting the kids. A beer is calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭positron

Isn't it amazing the little things that can bring happiness! :D

Yeah a similar 'little' thing put everything back in perspective for me today. My regular runners are still wet from yesterdays swim, and I decided to give my great looking Adidas Adi Zeros another go. If I remember correctly I did most of C25k with them and gave up on them as they were so tight I lost a number of toe nails. They are superlight and very good to run in comapared to what my main runners, so I really wanted them to fit again - tried that double-loop knot to stop my feet sliding forward and everything and did just a slow 5k.. and my fourth toe on left foot feels like it's on fire. Just goes to show how important it is to get the right shoe fit. I think I will visit Amphibian King again and get something that fits well and feels as good as Adi Zero.

PS: I loved running in that rain yesterday evening. As long as it's not cold rain, I don't mind it at all.

Did 'Fartlek' (hills) tonight and got absolutely washed, did actually feel quite cold too, once the actual run had finished especially... Amazing how after a while 'energy' does return no matter how tired one had been feeling previously, I was still able to summon the energy and aches got fewer as the session went on. Suddenly I'm thinking 'maybe I might do something tomorrow'.

However I will probably just do some stretches -crunches, Russian Twist, Plank, Russian Deadlift, at home... the body did feel very sore before the session and yes I do mean 'muscle soreness' rather than pain...

I went out with a running group at lunch time and did 20 x 400m repeats with 30 seconds rest and 2 mins rest after 6. Did them all in 85-86 range. (tough session but I hung on in)
    I got home and went for a two hour walk with kids up over Howth, ending up giving jockey backs to both of them at different times , my legs are like lead now.

I'm definitely taking tomorrow off. Tired and back aching from lifting the kids. A beer is calling.

It's running Jim, but not as I know it!! :eek: (forgive me for misquoting a misquotation!)

I'll settle on my little shuffle...:cool:

You seem to be made for this running lark, well done!

It's running Jim, but not as I know it!! :eek: (forgive me for misquoting a misquotation!)

I'll settle on my little shuffle...:cool:

You seem to be made for this running lark, well done!

It's funny you say that because I was thinking the opposite today, I can pull out a decent session cause its mostly stubbornness and I no the pain will end soon! But its strange was running with a guy for a warm up lap he was doing a 400 lap fast and I was just cruising chatting but he couldn't talk , but hes aiming for 3.10 at Dublin and has previously ran better.

Everyone in my group is aiming for sub 3.15 at least and even in a group or two below me most would be aiming for much faster times than me at the marathon and have run much faster times than me at anything above 5k. So I do question why I don't have the engine these guys have.

It's funny you say that because I was thinking the opposite today, I can pull out a decent session cause its mostly stubbornness and I no the pain will end soon! But its strange was running with a guy for a warm up lap he was doing a 400 lap fast and I was just cruising chatting but he couldn't talk , but hes aiming for 3.10 at Dublin and has previously ran better.

Everyone in my group is aiming for sub 3.15 at least and even in a group or two below me most would be aiming for much faster times than me at the marathon and have run much faster times than me at anything above 5k. So I do question why I don't have the engine these guys have.

It's an interesting one alright. I saw you mention how you even run your long runs quite fast. That's great for aerobic fitness but it's the long and slow miles that improve stamina and endurance, the engine. Do they do some slower runs?

It's an interesting one alright. I saw you mention how you even run your long runs quite fast. That's great for aerobic fitness but it's the long and slow miles that improve stamina and endurance, the engine. Do they do some slower runs?

Yeah they do lots of easy stuff ,most of them would workout together 3 to 4 times a week and run 5 to 6 times a week. I only turn up the odd Thursday, I think the secret is the volume. I just don't run enough but am trying to amend that. I miss my cycling but have dropped that and now run to work Wednesday. From what I've read online it can take years to build up stamina and "lifetime mileage" is a big thing. My lifetime mileage for running is pathetic.

Yeah they do lots of easy stuff ,most of them would workout together 3 to 4 times a week and run 5 to 6 times a week. I only turn up the odd Thursday, I think the secret is the volume. I just don't run enough but am trying to amend that. I miss my cycling but have dropped that and now run to work Wednesday. From what I've read online it can take years to build up stamina and "lifetime mileage" is a big thing. My lifetime mileage for running is pathetic.

Well best of luck with it anyway and don't be afraid to set an ambitious target for the day. You are at a different level to lots of us trying to break 4 hours, definitely more than the 30 minutes that your 3:30 target would entail.

Well best of luck with it anyway and don't be afraid to set an ambitious target for the day. You are at a different level to lots of us trying to break 4 hours, definitely more than the 30 minutes that your 3:30 target would entail.

Cheers ,none of us are going to win it, I think anyone that hits there target is a winner. I'll probably never run a marathon again so I want to enjoy it , would rather start at 3.30 pacers and run 3.25 than start with 3.15 pacers and run 3.24.

But ultimately all I want to do is get home in one piece , I'm not going to be getting emotional if I pull out at 10 miles or run 4 hours. Its a race its not life or death if I get any bad pains I wont be pushing on like a hero ill be hitting the nearest pub instead!

I'm at a different level to no one , I've done a marathon in 2007 after a drunk pub bet and ran 3.54 , I didn't train properly for it but was a younger man then. There's no guarantee I break 4 hours this year or you won't run closer to 3.30. I think the marathon is a different beast you just have to look at race reports and you regularly see people missing targets by substantial amounts.

Cheers ,none of us are going to win it, I think anyone that hits there target is a winner. I'll probably never run a marathon again so I want to enjoy it , would rather start at 3.30 pacers and run 3.25 than start with 3.15 pacers and run 3.24.

But ultimately all I want to do is get home in one piece , I'm not going to be getting emotional if I pull out at 10 miles or run 4 hours. Its a race its not life or death if I get any bad pains I wont be pushing on like a hero ill be hitting the nearest pub instead!

I'm at a different level to no one , I've done a marathon in 2007 after a drunk pub bet and ran 3.54 , I didn't train properly for it but was a younger man then. There's no guarantee I break 4 hours this year or you won't run closer to 3.30. I think the marathon is a different beast you just have to look at race reports and you regularly see people missing targets by substantial amounts.

Great post...nothing to add :D

Edit: Not a hope of me doing 3:30. I'll be starting at 5.39 per km pace and hoping I can tick off 42 of them and not fall over in the last few hundred metres!! :-)))

• Advertisement

Great input by both of ye. My first marathon this year and I think im addicted to reading the race reports. I had no idea of paces or anything when signing up, I just wanted to cross the finish (still the main goal) but now that I understand paces etc id absolutely love to accomplish sub 4hr. If i absolutely pushed it I reckon id be able to do better, but thats down to me being a lanky skinny 23 year old :pac: thats naturally fast, im lucky in that regard. But for now I just want to finish and forget about the time.

Im sure im right there with others, getting myself caught up in km/min and mile/min times, saying I should have cut out 10-15 seconds here or there, but on the day most of us will be so overwhelmed with the experience and atmosphere that thatll all be out the window!

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Great input by both of ye. My first marathon this year and I think im addicted to reading the race reports. I had no idea of paces or anything when signing up, I just wanted to cross the finish (still the main goal) but now that I understand paces etc id absolutely love to accomplish sub 4hr. If i absolutely pushed it I reckon id be able to do better, but thats down to me being a lanky skinny 23 year old :pac: thats naturally fast, im lucky in that regard. But for now I just want to finish and forget about the time.

Im sure im right there with others, getting myself caught up in km/min and mile/min times, saying I should have cut out 10-15 seconds here or there, but on the day most of us will be so overwhelmed with the experience and atmosphere that thatll all be out the window!

I'd say you're like a two legged greyhound!!! Not a pick on ya and fast as fook! My brother, who doesn't or didn't run, was challenged to do it 25 years ago and he did 3:37. Youth is a wonderful thing!! Damo just take it handy for the first half or 30k and then let rip if you feel good. Maybe you could ask AMK or WW about your training cos I think you could up the distances and slow the pace a bit. You're finding it too easy so far! ;)

This was me on my first year, I didnt have a clue how to train properly at all. I just went out and ran as much as I could in the hope I could finish. I was fairly fit begining training so I felt well able in my mind. Come race day I only had a couple of 22km runs under my belt and I was terrified on the day that Id hit a massive wall and not finish.

This year Ive discovered this thread and when I began training in early July I felt so unfit. But from reading training logs, race reports and following teh training plan, I feel so much more confident that if I follow the plan (Im a bit behind though) Ill be fine.

On the day of the marathon, I was full of nerves, excitement and fear. All of that, good bad or indifferent, made the experience so much worthwhile. The energy you get from within, other runners is unbelievable.

Finishing my first marathon was one amazing achievement and an experience that will forever stay with me.

Done 'nothing' this morning...Needed it. Feel 'ok' now, but if I'd went for a run, or a fitness class...I'd be feeling very fatigued now...build the body up...not break it down...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

On the subject of pacing, a friend is training for DCM as well and sharing her LSR on Facebook and running them way too fast, I think I have picked up the mantra of running them slowly because I keep telling her its Long ''SLOW'' run not Long Speedy Run :D

I am resting the last two day's as well and I think my body needed it, I have the adventure race tomorrow and looking forward to it.

If I am feeling good and not tired or sore, I was hoping to get out and run 3 miles or 6 on Sunday nice and slow as in 11-minute miles hoping to meet hubby for the last of his LSR he going to do laps on Sunday. I won't do it if legs feel tired or sore or anyone here thinks it is a bad idea :)

Baby75 wrote: »
    On the subject of pacing, a friend is training for DCM as well and sharing her LSR on Facebook and running them way too fast, I think I have picked up the mantra of running them slowly because I keep telling her its Long ''SLOW'' run not Long Speedy Run :D

What kind of distance and speed is she clocking up?

It can be hard to tell yourself to slow down sometimes. Its all about discipline.

I always feel that im going too slow sometimes myself.

Baby75 wrote: »

Don't look at my Strava so, I'd be kicked out of the group :pac:

I just can't seem to slow down to what people are recommending, although the pace seems absolutely fine to me I'm sure I should be slower, and I'm afraid that it won't help me for the big day.

Don't look at my Strava so, I'd be kicked out of the group :pac:

I just can't seem to slow down to what people are recommending, although the pace seems absolutely fine to me I'm sure I should be slower, and I'm afraid that it won't help me for the big day.

It's actually to help train the body to use fat as an energy source as your carbs run out on the day. No amount of fast running, even if it's for 3 hours, can teach your body to do this. Remember no matter how much you carb load or take gels on the day you will still need this reserve system.

It's actually to help train the body to use fat as an energy source as your carbs run out on the day. No amount of fast running, even if it's for 3 hours, can teach your body to do this. Remember no matter how much you carb load or take gels on the day you will still need this reserve system.

What pace are you currently doing on your LSR compared to your 5K and 10k paces? I think I go way to fast on my LSR.

I do my 5k in 23 mintues

Im hoping to do a 10 mile this weekend, what kind of pace should I aim for?

I did an 8 mile last Sunday in 1hr 11mins at an average pace of 8:41, is this too fast?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

What sort of time are you hoping to run for the marathon?
    beakerjoe wrote: »
    What pace are you currently doing on your LSR compared to your 5K and 10k paces? I think I go way to fast on my LSR.

I do my 5k in 23 mintues

Im hoping to do a 10 mile this weekend, what kind of pace should I aim for?

I did an 8 mile last Sunday in 1hr 11mins at an average pace of 8:41, is this too fast?

Advertisement