Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Due to a dental emergency during the week I wasn't cooking much (there's a root canal in my near future). Finally out of pain and in need of comfort, tonight I had a big bowl of carbonara :)

20210306-202506.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

The mother in law sent a few bob for me to treat myself after months of cooking and generally looking after the two of them.

So dialled the takeaway.

Kids had.

Bhajis, chicken pakora, chips and rice.

Myself had

Tandoori jumbo prawns to start.
    Chicken karahi with Pilau rice and G.O.C naan.

Herself had

Bhajis to start
    Chana Aloo masala, Pilau rice.

There was a mountain of poppadoms, chutneys etc too.

No photos, as I was too engrossed in gorging myself. :pac:

Homemade chicken and mushroom pie, with air fryer baby potatoes that were then covered with garlic butter.

IMG-20210307-170734.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Marinated chicken breasts with salad and home made flat breads. The avocados were rotten and the feta was moulded so the salad is a bit paltry!

IMG-20210307-185920744.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Lasagne with garlic bread

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I picked up a French trimmed rack of pork in Aldi this morning - I'd never heard of it. It had a salt and cracked black pepper crust, and it was delicious - really succulent and tender. We had it with dauphinoise potatoes and roasted carrots & tenderstem broccoli.

20210307-201843.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭sporina

As we can't go to France, we brought it to us.. Chicken, (thighs/breasts) with Bacon and Mushrooms (white wine, butter, herbs, celery, carrots, onions, garlic etc).. smells like a restaurant in the south of France, and it tasted every bit as good.. (credit to the quality of the ingredients).. yum yum.. and enough to last another 2 days..

IMG-5165.jpg

McMurphy wrote: »
    Homemade chicken and mushroom pie, with air fryer baby potatoes that were then covered with garlic butter.

that looks really great - can almost see the pastry sliding off the pie.. hmm.. love chicken and mushrooms.. um yum.. the potatoes look good too - would love an air fryer but we don't have anywhere to put one (need a bigger kitchen)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I wasn't feeling up to cooking much on Friday and Saturday for various reasons, so by Sunday I really felt like spending a bit of time in the kitchen again and having some yummy, spicy, comforting food.
    So we had Paneer Masala, Matar Gobi, fresh garlic and coriander naans and (not in the shot) so Peshwari naans as well. We had it with some of Aldi's cheap and cheerful lagers, tt was so satisfying and hit all the right notes.

546219.jpg

Roasted loin of pork, with mashed potatoes, steamed cauliflower and green beans tossed in garlic butter. .

It was savage.

IMG-20210308-181600.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Got this yesterday in Aldi, for a frozen pizza it was surprisingly nice and cooked in only 5 mins. (lighting makes the char look worse than it was!)

IMG-20210307-210846.jpg

IMG-20210307-211431.jpg

Had leftover ragu for dinner today

IMG-20210308-170228.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭50HX

Had jamie oliver corner shop curry yesterday, left overs this evening

It mighn't be the real deal curry but it's damn good
    The 5 year old loves the yellow chicken

The small fella would eat anything:)

We had quiche, salad and air fryer chips. Quick and delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Made up my own recipe today to make a kinda Italian herby aubergine with vegetables and kidney beans and cheese thingy with some herby roast baby potatoes.

546432.jpg

546433.jpg

546436.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Fillet steak from the Ooni pizza oven. I forgot to take and ‘after’ photo. It was delish.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,599 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Pipmae wrote: »
    Fillet steak from the Ooni pizza oven. I forgot to take and ‘after’ photo. It was delish.

How long did it take to cook?

I made some pita on mine at the weekend.

IMG-20210306-154511.jpg

The Nal wrote: »

About 10 mins to medium but that includes the time it took to take the pan out and turn them several times.

About 10 mins to medium but that includes the time it took to take the pan out and turn them several times.

And was it fired up all the way? Like 400-500c?

And was it fired up all the way? Like 400-500c?

Yes - I heated the oven on full flame with the pan in it for 20 mins. I did a temperature check and it was 400c plus. Then I added a bit of oil and the steak. I let it sear for about a minute on full flame then I turned it right down. I cooked it mostly on the lowest flame then but I did turn it up when I took the pan out to turn the steaks and turned it down when I popped them back in.

I found the pan quite heavy with the steaks on it.

Yes - I heated the oven on full flame with the pan in it for 20 mins. I did a temperature check and it was 400c plus. Then I added a bit of oil and the steak. I let it sear for about a minute on full flame then I turned it right down. I cooked it mostly on the lowest flame then but I did turn it up when I took the pan out to turn the steaks and turned it down when I popped them back in.

I found the pan quite heavy with the steaks on it.

Ah ok. Ive the wood version so worried that 500c would destroy the steak. Probably would.

Although maybe something like this could work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Always held to the belief that you should touch steak three times: when you put it to cook, when you turn it, and when you take it off the heat to rest. Never used on of these machines though.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Always held to the belief that you should touch stake three times: when you put it to cook, when you turn it, and when you take it off the heat to rest. Never used on of these machines though.

Yes agreed - it was my first time using this to cook steak though so there was a bit of trial and error. I'd be more confident with the timing next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,085 ✭✭✭Be right back

Pan-fried monkfish and chunky chips.

We had roast beef on the bone from Lidl, seared and then oven cooked until medium. Really beautiful piece of meat but would just about feed three hungry adults, which is not a whole lot of meat for 16 euros.

We had it with roasties, veg and gravy.

I made some pita on mine at the weekend.

that looks really great - did you actually make the pitta yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Recliner

Tomato soup and garlic flat bread.
    I put some parmesan shavings in the bottom of the bowl and also some on top and crispy fried rashers on top as well.
    Livened up a basic meal.

Beer battered cod and Airfryer chips with ketchup and garlic mayo :)

20210310-192735.jpg

sporina wrote: »

that looks really great - did you actually make the pitta yourself?

Yeah. Fairly easy.

https://www.themediterraneandish.com/homemade-pita-bread-recipe/

Made some naan too. Easy aswell. Same ish recipe but with yoghurt. Doesn't look like naan (no spots on it) but lovely heated under the grill and brushed with garlic butter and coriander. Much better than anything you'll buy in the shops.

IMG-20210306-160645.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Recliner

Tagliatelle, smoked salmon, asparagus, cherry tomatoes and a cream sauce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭50HX

Lidl Angus burger

Homemade oven chips

Chips are a bit of work but worth it

Advertisement