Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

sporina wrote: »

ahh i was looking forward to seeing one cut open - looked nice and kinda novel

Ah sorry, this only occurred to me after! I've two leftover so I'll see if I can snap a pic tomorrow. :)

Recliner wrote: »

@Mystery Egg any chance of a recipe for these. They look smashing.

Absolutely made up and full of all kinds of shortcuts. This made twice as much filling as I needed, so I froze half for future use.

1 quantity shortcrust pastry (I used home made but shop bought is perfect too)
    450g beef mince
    1 onion, 1 carrot, handful mushrooms
    1 heaped tablespoon tomato puree
    2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
    1 beef oxo cube
    1 heaped tablespoon instant gravy powder (you can use flour if you prefer)
    2 teaspoons garlic granules
    Pinch thyme
    Pinch mixed herbs
    Salt, pepper
    Good splash of boiling water, to desired consistency

1 egg, beaten, for eggwashing

Prep pastry, if making, and chill.

Preheat oven to 200 or 180 fan.

Brown mince. Add veg and sweat til soft. Add remaining ingredients except the egg, and leave to simmer on low until it's as thick as you want it. Taste for seasoning.

Grease and flour your muffin tins. I also cut strips of baking parchment and placed them in each muffin tin to form a cross, by which I could lift out the pies easily.

You'll need two cutters, one slightly larger than the other. I used a pint glass and a tumbler.

Roll out your pastry as thinly as you can. I use cling film to prevent sticking but do what works for you.

Cut out your pastry cases until two thirds of your pastry is gone. Line each muffin case carefully with pastry pressing it down lightly. Fill each one with the savoury mince to the top but level, not heaped.

Reform and re roll your pastry if needed and cut out the pie tops. Using your finger, wet the interior edges of the tops with egg wash to help glue them to the pie cases. Press the edges down lightly to seal.

Decorate with pastry trimmings, glued on with egg wash. Wash each pie liberally with the egg and stab each one right in the middle with the tip of a sharp knife to release steam during cooking and prevent bursting.

Bake for 20-30 minutes depending on your oven. They should be golden brown and have crispy bottoms. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 514 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Housemates were guinea pigs for these today. Reuben Dirty Fries.
    Chips covered in smoked Swiss cheese sauce with rib eye steak, sauerkraut, Russian dressing and topped with crispy fried onions...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭barbara anne

Streaky rashers, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans and carrots. Not fancy. Childhood favourite of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,402 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

The leftovers of a Thai Chicken Noodle soup. Flavours just bouncing off the tongue. Fantastic!

DD5-AB162-A5-F9-4-F23-8-FFA-6-BC77-FBAAEF7.jpg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/thaiinspirednoodleso_92377

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Was running late for a class so a bowl of cereal for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

To make up for the cacio e pepe debacle yesterday, made myself some creamy philadephia chicken bacon pea pasta. Hardly refined, but tastes delicious.

tEN53YR.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,847 ✭✭✭sporina

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    Was running late for a class so a bowl of cereal for me!

Mod snip. This is a food forum. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

To make up for the cacio e pepe debacle yesterday, made myself some creamy philadephia chicken bacon pea pasta. Hardly refined, but tastes delicious.

I've been meaning to give Cacio e Pepe a lash. I've been making simple Aglio e Olio spaghetti for the last few months and absolutely loving it. So quick and simple but very good indeed.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I've been meaning to give Cacio e Pepe a lash. I've been making simple Aglio e Olio spaghetti for the last few months and absolutely loving it. So quick and simple but very good indeed.

Well, don't use the bloody Not-Another-Cooking-Show method. There are far better out there.

Do love a good aglio e olio. It scratches that garlic itch something fierce.

• Advertisement

We had slow cooker Mongolian beef with rice tonight. I used rib steak. It was delicious.

• Administrators Posts: 53,654 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The Aldi spice bag thing.

It was actually really tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Well, don't use the bloody Not-Another-Cooking-Show method. There are far better out there.

Do love a good aglio e olio. It scratches that garlic itch something fierce.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/02/spaghetti-cacio-e-pepe-recipe.html

I make it using this recipe and it’s the business ! As is most of kenji s recipes tbh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Striploin steak medium rare.
    Chips from the air fryer smothered in cheese and curry sauce.
    Veg? Wouldn't want to ruin it.

545904.PNG

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

We had a Vietnamese Coconut and Tempeh* curry from The Happy Health Plan (Happy Pear).
    We replace the tempeh with tofu. It was surprisingly tasty and one we'll definitely do again. Had the leftovers for lunch and I think it was even better again :p

545909.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,664 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

T-Bone!

1.jpg
    2.jpg

ArtyC wrote: »
    https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/02/spaghetti-cacio-e-pepe-recipe.html

I make it using this recipe and it’s the business ! As is most of kenji s recipes tbh :)

Aye, that's the one I usually use. Decided to try this one to see how it works and, well...

Home made pizzas here tonight.

Really nice, just wish we could make more than one at a time! By the time I sit down everyone's finished. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 20,011 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Home made pizzas here tonight.

Really nice, just wish we could make more than one at a time! By the time I sit down everyone's finished. :o

Why only one?

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Recliner

Lamb cutlets, roast spuds and sprouts.
    Meant to have this on Tuesday but have been too lazy all week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Got a take away of Beef kaftas ,brown rice and a creamy garlic and thyme sauce.
    My tolerance for spice has gone to pot these days, had to tone it down myself!

Should have mixed the chicken mince and peanut sauce up, but didn't. Still, it was tasty, though needed something acidy to cut through it a bit more. From here.

NdJVBcu.jpg

cnocbui wrote: »
    Why only one?

That's all that will fit in my pizza oven!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Should have mixed the chicken mince and peanut sauce up, but didn't. Still, it was tasty, though needed something acidy to cut through it a bit more. From here.

Looks fab. I'd like to try something like this.
    Don't like any of the store bought satay type sauces.

I squeeze of lime juice over all that would be lovely.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I squeeze of lime juice over all that would be lovely.

Motherf*cker.

It's been a long week.

Side note on the sauce, we put honey in as well, because it didn't taste fully right when we made it up at first. Just a thought.

That's all that will fit in my pizza oven!

Do another one in your normal oven?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Roast chicken in a bag (cooked at home), fresh crusty bread and a salad (lazy and bought it bagged in Tesco).

Sheep Shagger;116491130]...

Dave the Sheep is feeling anxious...

Or anticipatory.

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »
    Do another one in your normal oven?

Then we'll have one restaurant quality pizza and one cruddy one. :pac:

Advertisement